or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Who said it?

Who said it?

post #1 of 68
Feel free to offer unattributed statements and quotes for all of us to guess who said them.

Here's a couple to start:

"We might have done nothing. That would have been utter ruin. Instead we met the situation with proposals to private business and to Congress of the most gigantic program of economic defense and counterattack ever evolved in the history of the Republic."

"By a continuous process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method, they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some....The process engages all of the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner that not one man in a million can diagnose."
post #2 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

Feel free to offer unattributed statements and quotes for all of us to guess who said them.

Here's a couple to start:

"We might have done nothing. That would have been utter ruin. Instead we met the situation with proposals to private business and to Congress of the most gigantic program of economic defense and counterattack ever evolved in the history of the Republic."

"By a continuous process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method, they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some....The process engages all of the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner that not one man in a million can diagnose."

"THE BEST WAY TO ROB A BANK IS TO OWN ONE"
post #3 of 68
"Like gold, U.S. dollars have value only to the extent that they are strictly limited in supply. But the U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. By increasing the number of U.S. dollars in circulation, or even by credibly threatening to do so, the U.S. government can also reduce the value of a dollar in terms of goods and services, which is equivalent to raising the prices in dollars of those goods and services. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation."
post #4 of 68
I wouldn't even venture to guess at these. Could have been said by any leader or idealogue from any party over the past century. I am curious as to the answers, though.

Fun idea, involuntary_serf!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 68
Here are 3 quotes, all from the same person. Should be pretty easy:

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom."

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #6 of 68
"We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping at the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised to furnish new pretenses for revenue and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without a tribute."

post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Here are 3 quotes, all from the same person. Should be pretty easy:

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom."

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."

I know this one!

John Adams!

post #8 of 68
post #9 of 68
"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit."
post #10 of 68
"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

Sounds like #16. (Also the preceding post... I'm pretty sure about this one, but just guessing on the previous.)
post #12 of 68
"U dont have 2 be beautiful 2 turn me on; I just need your body baby, from dusk till dawn. U dont need experience 2 turn me out — U just leave it all up 2 me. I'm gonna show U what it's all about."
post #13 of 68
Quote:

Sounds like #16. (Also the preceding post... I'm pretty sure about this one, but just guessing on the previous.)

Yup (on both).
post #14 of 68
Mine was Thomas Paine.

post #15 of 68
Mine are:

Quote:
"We might have done nothing. That would have been utter ruin. Instead we met the situation with proposals to private business and to Congress of the most gigantic program of economic defense and counterattack ever evolved in the history of the Republic." -- Herbert Hoover

Quote:
"By a continuous process of inflation, governments can confiscate, secretly and unobserved, an important part of the wealth of their citizens. By this method, they not only confiscate, but they confiscate arbitrarily; and while the process impoverishes many, it actually enriches some....The process engages all of the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner that not one man in a million can diagnose." -- John Maynard Keynes

Quote:
"Like gold, U.S. dollars have value only to the extent that they are strictly limited in supply. But the U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. By increasing the number of U.S. dollars in circulation, or even by credibly threatening to do so, the U.S. government can also reduce the value of a dollar in terms of goods and services, which is equivalent to raising the prices in dollars of those goods and services. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation." -- Ben Bernanke
post #16 of 68
Read my lips, No new taxes.
post #17 of 68
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Abraham Lincoln.

and

"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do." Samuel P. Huntington
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Abraham Lincoln.

and

"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do." Samuel P. Huntington

The party of Lincoln is....

With us or agin us.
post #19 of 68
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

"U dont have 2 be beautiful 2 turn me on; I just need your body baby, from dusk till dawn. U dont need experience 2 turn me out U just leave it all up 2 me. I'm gonna show U what it's all about."

Prince- Kiss, which I sing in falsetto as well.

Quote:
I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction.

Quote:
Rationality is the recognition of the fact that nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

That could be a paraphrase of a quote I believe is attributed to Benjamin Franklin.
post #22 of 68
Quote:

That could be a paraphrase of a quote I believe is attributed to Benjamin Franklin.

Correct!

post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

This is a very good description of the consequences of making "TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!! TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!!" your primary economic policy.
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #24 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

This is a very good description of the consequences of making "TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!! TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!!" your primary economic policy.

It could also be a good description of the consequences of special interest groups (ACORN ring a bell?) getting a cut of the so-called "bail outs" for voting a certain candidate into office.

There are many applications.

post #25 of 68
Quote:

I don't know. I think "people find that they can vote themselves money" (from the treasury) sounds much more like giving 95% of the people a tax break while the other 5% get a tax increase.

Or it sounds like the policies that have led us to the point where the top 50% of tax payers are paying 97% (and growing) of the taxes while the bottom 50% get benefits from those taxes.

Or it sounds like a system in which money is taken from one generation and given to another.

Or it sounds like a system in which one generation can pile up trillions in debt and future generations get to pay for it.

Or it sounds like a system in which a ruling class (in opposition to public desire and opinion) grabs a couple of trillion dollars and hands it out to banks, insurance companies, auto companies as well as other well-connected "stimulus" recipients.
post #26 of 68
Quote:

Read B.F.'s autobiography...

You'll find that he was referring to what is now known as "pork barrel" spending, or "earmarks". He was thinking in terms of "the people" voting candidates into office that would turn around and provide all sorts of "government assistance" and "social programs".
post #27 of 68
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."
post #28 of 68
An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland.

?
post #29 of 68
^^^^^ :-)
post #30 of 68
Quote:

An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland.

?

Wasn't that Hitler?
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Wasn't that Hitler?

Hitler said that as well?
post #32 of 68
Quote:

Hitler said that as well?

It's very close to what Hitler was saying. I'd have to do a search to see what Hitler and co actually said. Hitler knew that if you make people scared of an outside force people would give up their liberties willingly for protection etc....a lot like today.
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It's very close to what Hitler was saying. I'd have to do a search to see what Hitler and co actually said. Hitler knew that if you make people scared of an outside force people would give up their liberties willingly for protection etc....a lot like today.

Well, if Hitler said that, it wouldn't have been in English, of course!

The quote was actually by George W. Bush in November 2001 when the Homeland Security Act was signed into law. If Hitler said the same thing 60 odd years beforehand, it's probably a coincidence of the "infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of type-writers" variety.

Perhaps, maybe :P
post #34 of 68
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

post #35 of 68
"If 'conservatives' were more cognizant of and diligent to protect the U.S. Constitution and principles of liberty contained in our Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence, they would be able to see through the façade of modern Corporatism that masks its totalitarian agenda under the guise of 'free trade'."

post #36 of 68
Quote:

Well, if Hitler said that, it wouldn't have been in English, of course!

The quote was actually by George W. Bush in November 2001 when the Homeland Security Act was signed into law. If Hitler said the same thing 60 odd years beforehand, it's probably a coincidence of the "infinite number of monkeys on an infinite number of type-writers" variety.

Perhaps, maybe :P

I'll try and find the source and put a link to it here. I watched a video which showed how Bush's words were incredibly close to what Hitler had said.
post #37 of 68
Quote:

?

Exactly the same as Hitler, proposing the creation of the Gestapo in Nazi Germany.
post #38 of 68
Northgate read your PMs.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #39 of 68
A couple of friends of mine kept referring to it as Fatherland Security, which used to royally piss of our conservative friends.

"Unfair!" they'd shout. Then we'd snicker.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #40 of 68
Here's a one that even the most petty will find amusing!

"I don't give a doddamn. I'm the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way. Stop throwing the Constitution in ,my face. It's just a goddamned piece of paper."
~George W. Bush, 2005.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Who said it?