or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
Apple is privately acknowledging an issue with the enclosure on some of its white 13-inch MacBooks, which in some cases have seen the formation of hairline cracks during normal usage patterns.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker is said to have issued a bulletin to its authorized service providers in March that essentially reverses its stance on replacing the bottom casing of notebooks that may be experiencing these symptoms.

It was reported in November that Apple was refusing to cover repairs for the bottom casing of the notebooks despite its willingness on occasion to address identical problems with the top portion of the casings containing the keyboard and palmrests.

The bulletin to providers reportedly identified four key areas of the case prone to hairline cracking, including the front portion of the case below the palmrests and trackpad, the areas around the I/O ports, the back rear corners, and the back rear ventilation area.

Apple added, however, that other portions of the case could be affected by the cracking issue. For all instances, providers were reportedly asked to inspect the MacBook carefully to determine whether the cracks could be the result of the notebook haven been dropped or other accidental damage caused by the owner.

In the event that providers are unable to identify signs that the user is at fault for the cracks, they're advise to escalate the notebook for coverage by Apple, regardless of whether its 1-year limited warranty has expired.

A collage of cracked white 13-inch MacBook enclosures.

The exception also applies to the black plastic 13-inch MacBook that was discontinued last year, but does not extend to any other member of the MacBook family, according to those familiar with the matter.

Last October, Apple transitioned its entire notebook line to arguably the most durable aluminum unibody enclosures on the market. It has, however, continued to sell a single version of its legacy 13-inch white MacBook for $999.
post #2 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is privately acknowledging an issue with the enclosure on some of its white 13-inch MacBooks, which in some cases have seen the formation of hairline cracks during normal usage patterns.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker is said to have issued a bulletin to its authorized service providers in March that essentially reverses its stance on replacing the bottom casing of notebooks that may be experiencing these symptoms.

It was reported in November that Apple was refusing to cover repairs for the bottom casing of the notebooks despite its willingness on occasion to address identical problems with the top portion of the casings containing the keyboard and palmrests.

The bulletin to providers reportedly identified four key areas of the case prone to hairline cracking, including the front portion of the case below the palmrests and trackpad, the areas around the I/O ports, the back rear corners, and the back rear ventilation area.

Apple added, however, that other portions of the case could be affected by the cracking issue. For all instances, providers were reportedly asked to inspect the MacBook carefully to determine whether the cracks could be the result of the notebook haven been dropped or other accidental damage caused by the owner.

In the event that providers are unable to identify signs that the user is at fault for the cracks, they're advise to escalate the notebook for coverage by Apple, regardless of whether its 1-year limited warranty has expired.

A collage of cracked white 13-inch MacBook enclosures.

The exception also applies to the black plastic 13-inch MacBook that was discontinued last year, but does not extend to any other member of the MacBook family, according to those familiar with the matter.

Last October, Apple transitioned its entire notebook line to arguably the most durable aluminum unibody enclosures on the market. It has, however, continued to sell a single version of its legacy 13-inch white MacBook for $999.

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Macbooks + iPhone = lots of cracks!

Does Apple ever produce a product without a problem?

white Macbook - cracks
white iPhone 3G - cracks
iPhone 3G both colours - dust and light leaks
newest Macbooks - graphic display issues
iMacs - 20" severe gradient issues
iMacs - 24" uneven backlighting from left to right... left brighter than the right by up to 50%


Anyone else wanna add to the list?
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #3 of 107
It looks like the same plastic used in white iPhone. Apple should really drop using plastic in general, it just so bad.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #4 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It looks like the same plastic used in white iPhone. Apple should really drop using plastic in general, it just so bad.

Ummm, on second thought:

post #5 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It looks like the same plastic used in white iPhone. Apple should really drop using plastic in general, it just so bad.

No- Apple needs to just stop using CHEAP plastic. There are much better grades- just look at many of the other laptops around.
post #6 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Macbooks + iPhone = lots of cracks!

Does Apple ever produce a product without a problem?

white Macbook - cracks
white iPhone 3G - cracks
iPhone 3G both colours - dust and light leaks
newest Macbooks - graphic display issues
iMacs - 20" severe gradient issues
iMacs - 24" uneven backlighting from left to right... left brighter than the right by up to 50%


Anyone else wanna add to the list?

AppleTV- Cracks, heat issue , scratch inducive and standby mode issues.
All iPods with metal backs- scratch inducive.
post #7 of 107
Quote:
In the event that providers are unable to identify signs that the user is at fault for the cracks, they're advise to escalate the notebook for coverage by Apple, regardless of whether its 1-year limited warranty has expired.

I've got an unsightly crack in the plastic on my Macbook's palm rest. I'm out of warranty by now. You think I could I bring this into the Apple store to have it repaired? Who is the "provider" referred to above that would be inspecting this and escalating for coverage by Apple?
post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Anyone else wanna add to the list?

Sure... products from any company? (Including some that wouldn't fix a crack under warranty, much less AFTER warranty as Apple has done before and is doing again now.)

You won't find a single product from any company that never showed cracks or flaws for any user. And you won't find a product where people aren't more likely to post about a problem than to say "all is well." This creates an impression that a rare (but still bad) problem is the norm. That's human nature.

I'd also suspect that people are more likely to a) notice and b) CARE about minor cosmetic issues on an Apple product, because Apple products have such perfect minimal design that flaws seem extra glaring. (Not to mention, people scrutinize Apple products online and send each other off to look for flaws. They'd rush off to find them on Dells too... except nobody's that excited about the design of a Dell in the first place.)

This is not to excuse Apple--products SHOULD be perfect, it should be immediately clear to everyone what is and is not abuse, and repair policies should be fully established in the consumer's favor from the very start--not corrected late as has happened in this case. When Apple fails to meet these standards, they should be called on it. However, it's not some "Apple specific" problem.

(All is well I am the owner of badly-abused, dropped, sat-upon, tossed-around, caseless iPhone 3G that nevertheless has flawless plastic with zero cracks or scratches. The chrome, however received minor scratching from a gruesome gravel incident. The plastic, amazingly, showed nothing from the incident. The glass too is still perfect. I'm lucky--as I hope MOST 3G owners are--but I feel for those who have not been so lucky. I don't deny that your cracks are real. Whether you unlucky ones are 40% of buyers or 4%, it still sucks when you notice a crack.)
post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Does Apple ever produce a product without a problem?

white Macbook - cracks
white iPhone 3G - cracks
iPhone 3G both colours - dust and light leaks
newest Macbooks - graphic display issues
iMacs - 20" severe gradient issues
iMacs - 24" uneven backlighting from left to right... left brighter than the right by up to 50%


Anyone else wanna add to the list?

Has a mother ever produce a product without a problem?

Including you. IMO
post #10 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AppleTV- Cracks, heat issue , scratch inducive and standby mode issues.
All iPods with metal backs- scratch inducive.

inducive? You're saying the plastic itself directly "causes or influences" the cracks? I think you mean normal circumstances are "conducive" enough to cause cracks in the plastics. The plastic itself doesn't cause the cracks.
post #11 of 107
Hi all,

Check out this Flickr group which has a huge collection of some far worse "cracked macbook case" photos:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/crackedmacbook/pool/

the ones shown in the Apple Insider article have only subtle cracking compared to some of the MacBooks in this Flickr group which have missing pieces and huge cracks (my MacBook is in this pool of photos).
post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Macbooks + iPhone = lots of cracks!

Does Apple ever produce a product without a problem?

white Macbook - cracks
white iPhone 3G - cracks
iPhone 3G both colours - dust and light leaks
newest Macbooks - graphic display issues
iMacs - 20" severe gradient issues
iMacs - 24" uneven backlighting from left to right... left brighter than the right by up to 50%


Anyone else wanna add to the list?

out trolling again, huh?
post #13 of 107
The palm rest on mine has chipped at the edge just through normal use. I noticed a man on the train a few weeks back and his had done the same.
post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AppleTV- Cracks, heat issue , scratch inducive and standby mode issues.
All iPods with metal backs- scratch inducive.

Apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.


I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.


More suits need to follow!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

out trolling again, huh?

Truth hurts right? Sorry to burst your bubble.

You see, Fanbois like you let Apple get a way with it and this is why you get problems with every single product they make. Now if people voice their opinions, Apple would listen.

I suggest you keep your defects and stay happy!

I will continue to complain because I pay a premium for the products and I expect a PREMIUM product.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #16 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

out trolling again, huh?

they're all out today. They love when problems surface with Apple products, because when problems arise with other another company's products there is no forum to complain about them. Apple actually has people dedicated enough to their products who create forums. I don't know what the point of Apple-bashing is when you are in sites created BY and FOR apple fans...trolls are constantly shocked and appalled at the number of people who like Apple - they don't stop and realize they're on a site dedicated to Apple fans. Go to engadget or gizmodo or somewhere else that isn't explicitly Apple-centric. I'm sure you'll find more sympathetic readers. Better yet, go to Dell Insider...oh wait it doesn't exist...well, then try TUDW...oh wait, it doesn't exist....etc
post #17 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.

Ha, apple cares about $25 million. Sure. You have any idea how much money they made on those first-gen nanos? Selling a $200 product at 40% margins, then 5 years later being sued and paying back 10 bucks per customer is a slap on the wrist, at BEST.
post #18 of 107
My MacBooks is cracked. I never even thought to bring it in, I just applied some tape and was done with it.
post #19 of 107
And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.
post #20 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

they're all out today. They love when problems surface with Apple products, because when problems arise with other another company's products there is no forum to complain about them. Apple actually has people dedicated enough to their products who create forums. I don't know what the point of Apple-bashing is when you are in sites created BY and FOR apple fans...trolls are constantly shocked and appalled at the number of people who like Apple - they don't stop and realize they're on a site dedicated to Apple fans. Go to engadget or gizmodo or somewhere else that isn't explicitly Apple-centric. I'm sure you'll find more sympathetic readers. Better yet, go to Dell Insider...oh wait it doesn't exist...well, then try TUDW...oh wait, it doesn't exist....etc

Wanna know why?

You said it perfectly.

THESE sites are APPLE related. NOT Microsoft related.

I am tired of going to Macdailynews or AppleInsider or any other Mac site to hear about Microsoft or bashing Microsoft. I come to these sites to hear about APPLE! So you guys keep complaining about everything else but Apple, YOU in turn have asked for the bashing of Apple products because they are just as inferior to the competition.

When sites start to refocus on their main subject - Apple... and we can discuss the good of Apple and not what Dell is doing with Adamo or what Microsoft are doing with Windows etc etc... Let us worry about Apple. We got enough problems with Apple to deal with!

105+ fixes from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7
100+ fixes from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6

200+ fixes YEAKS!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanganki View Post

My MacBooks is cracked. I never even thought to bring it in, I just applied some tape and was done with it.

great to hear you spent tons of money to use tape on it.

lol


SAD!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

No surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Please don't quote the ENTIRE ARTICLE (or message) when you reply. It's just not necessary, man.

Also, shut up already. You are an idiot.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Reply
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post

I've got an unsightly crack in the plastic on my Macbook's palm rest. I'm out of warranty by now. You think I could I bring this into the Apple store to have it repaired? Who is the "provider" referred to above that would be inspecting this and escalating for coverage by Apple?

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Please don't quote the ENTIRE ARTICLE (or message) when you reply.

It's just not necessary, man.

No problem!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I took two MacBooks into the Apple store a month or so and they replaced the cracked tops and offered to replace the cracked shell of another. One was out of warranty. Just take it up to the "Genius" bar.

I have to complement Apple's service in this respect.

I agree the staff at the store are amazing
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

they're all out today. They love when problems surface with Apple products, because when problems arise with other another company's products there is no forum to complain about them. Apple actually has people dedicated enough to their products who create forums. I don't know what the point of Apple-bashing is when you are in sites created BY and FOR apple fans...trolls are constantly shocked and appalled at the number of people who like Apple - they don't stop and realize they're on a site dedicated to Apple fans. Go to engadget or gizmodo or somewhere else that isn't explicitly Apple-centric. I'm sure you'll find more sympathetic readers. Better yet, go to Dell Insider...oh wait it doesn't exist...well, then try TUDW...oh wait, it doesn't exist....etc

So? Let them come out and play. Most of them are motivated by sheer jealousy. And some of them have all the bigger mouths, because for the very first time since 2001, they finally have an OS that *might be* nearly as friendly and usable as OS X. Of course, that still remains to be seen; we saw all of PC geekdom rave about Windows Vista right before its release. And we all know what happened.

XP was garbage the day it came out, but it's interesting that legions and legions of Windows users couldn't wait to switch back to it. I've always found that hilarious.

Don't forget that a lot of these PC users decry Apple hardware when they don't have a lot of money to spend, but as soon as they save up enough, they're out buying Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and are posting around here about how they "switched."

There are really two types of *informed* computer users out there:

1. Mac users
2. Those who are going to be Mac users.

That's the way it's always been. So don't sweat the trolls. Everything they say is actually a compliment.
post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

inducive? You're saying the plastic itself directly "causes or influences" the cracks? I think you mean normal circumstances are "conducive" enough to cause cracks in the plastics. The plastic itself doesn't cause the cracks.

The thermal nuclear heat causes the cracks. I said it was scratch inducive not crack inducive.
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I agree the staff at the store are amazing

There are a lot of these experiences. Apple Stores are great to deal with.
post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

200+ fixes YEAKS!

At least the OS evolves at a normal rate, instead of a 9 year old WinXP being preferred over either of microsoft's two latest offerings.
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.


I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.


More suits need to follow!

If any course ever needs a prime example of planned obsolecence surely there would be a picture of an iPod.
post #31 of 107
Don't forget that a lot of these PC users decry Apple hardware when they don't have a lot of money to spend, but as soon as they save up enough, they're out buying Macbooks and Macbook Pros, and are posting around here about how they "switched."



I used Windows all my life up until August 2008. I had the first gen iPhone and loved it. I owned several iPods and loved it. I decided to take the plunge and come to Mac.

My first iMac 24" 3.06 GHz I bought had a yellowish tinge on the bottom left corner. I was shocked. I called Apple and they advised me to exchange it. I went to google and found out it was a gradient issue that has plagued all iMacs from 2007 onwards! So I exchanged it again and again and again. All had uneven backlighting issues, burnt pixels etc etc.

I get constant Time Machine Backup Errors - Apple is aware of this issue. My second keyboard Caps light goes off randomly - a known issue... Google it.

My problems with Mac has been good! Far more than my HP and Dell!!!

iPhone 3G - dust, light leaks and cracks!

How do you expect me to feel? I CAN afford Mac. I thought I was buying a quality product. I was wrong.

So ya Microsoft, HP and Dell may have issues, but so does Apple. End of Case.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And??

Some of you should take better care of your stuff.

Hi! Thanks for your idiotic remark. If you hadn't failed reading comprehension in grade school you might have noticed that the article said the problem occurred with normal use.

Or do you mean we should wrap them in plastic, like your grandma's sofa?
post #33 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If any course ever needs a prime example of planned obsolecence surely there would be a picture of an iPod.

My 30GB 3G iPod is still going strong after five years of heavy use. Yes, it's on its third battery, but still. Suits my needs just fine, even if I would like a little more capacity.

The more pressing problem with MacBooks to me is the inordinately high failure rate of their hard drives. Seems like clockwork that the stock drives fail after 2 - 2.5 years. I'm proactively replacing/upgrading drives now to avoid unplanned downtime - thankfully those 2.5" 320GB 7200RPM Hitachi drives are fast and cheap and the MacBook is a million times easier to get into than the iBooks were.

Coincidentally, a few friends/clients who took their MacBooks to the Genius Bar to get their dead hard drives replaced also ended up getting their mildly cracked top-cases and shells replaced without even asking for it. I think Apple's been proactive about making those replacements for some time, but they have not exactly splashed out the news on the front page of www.apple.com.
post #34 of 107
Yea I have like 5 cracks on my MacBook... 1st Gen...

Here are some pictures:









post #35 of 107
that is what i call excellent crApple
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

that is what i call excellent crApple

You seem to be either jealous of Apple, or you simply have absolutely nothing else to do other than bash them. Probably a combination of both.

Apple does seem to have problems with the plastic they use, it is very hard which seems to make it brittle and prone to cracking. I have however only seen it on one MacBook, out of many.
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

You seem to be either jealous of Apple, or you simply have absolutely nothing else to do other than bash them. Probably a combination of both.

Apple does seem to have problems with the plastic they use, it is very hard which seems to make it brittle and prone to cracking. I have however only seen it on one MacBook, out of many.

I like Apple. But not impressed with the QC!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

no surprise here! Apple is famous for cracks!

Does apple ever produce a product without a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

apple designs and makes products that scratch so you buy it again and again and again because it does not wear well.

I am glad they got sued and lost in court for the 25$ million.

More suits need to follow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

that is what i call excellent crApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I am tired of going to macdailynews or appleinsider or any other mac site to hear about microsoft or bashing microsoft. I come to these sites to bash apple!

Fixed that for you....
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Fixed that for you....

lol@Jupiter... too funny.

I tell the truth - it hurts.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #40 of 107
As much as I love my MBP, I am unable to find any sites that offer intelligent discussion. Just inept fanboism. I can only imagine the average age of Apple customers is 12.

Well done children!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple addressing cracks on white MacBooks casings