or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads

Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads

post #1 of 46
Apple said Friday that App Store shoppers have downloaded nearly 1 billion applications since the service launched less than one year ago and is running a promotion that will award one lucky customer with over $13,000 in Apple goodies.

"As of today, nearly one billion apps have been downloaded around the globe. So we just want to say thanks — a billion," the Cupertino-based company wrote in a new posting to its website that was accompanied by a digital counter that's racing towards the 1 billion mark.

App Store shoppers who download an app between now and the time the counter hits 1 billion will automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card, an iPod touch, a Time Capsule, and a MacBook Pro. The total retail cost of the prize package is valued at $13,746.

In order to participate, all you need to do is go to the iTunes Store, browse the App Store, and download a new app via your computer, iPhone or iPod touch. If you don't own an iPhone or iPod touch, you can still participate in the promotion by completely filling out an alternative entry form.

Regardless of which submission method you use, entries will be limited to 25 per person and/or iTunes account and/or email address, per day, according to the promotion's official rules.

As of press time, the counter was at approximately 927,808,000, which when compared to the half a billion milestone reached on January 16th, means shoppers are now downloading over 5 million applications every single day. This is up from a rate of 4.76 million apps per day in January and 2.2 million in December.

Also on Friday, Apple posted a list of the top 20 applications of all-time on the App Store. Topping the list of paid applications was Vivendi Games' Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D while Facebook took top honors amongst a list of free aplications.
post #2 of 46
Quote:
To enter the Countdown to 1 Billion Apps, please complete the form below in its entirety.
(Limited to 25 entries per day)

When I tried more than once it came up with an error saying I have entered to many times
post #3 of 46
I'll be able to participate in the promotion even if I download a Free app, right?
bb
bb
post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

App Store shoppers who download an app between now and the time the counter hits 1 billion will automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card[/url][/c]

I hope that gift card is transferrable. I can't think of even $100 dollars I'd spend on the iTunes Store. Not that I'd win...
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #5 of 46
I guess this is my cue to download Dungeon Defense finally
post #6 of 46
Cool promotion!
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

When I tried more than once it came up with an error saying I have entered to many times

yeah, me too.

and to add insult to injury, it should say "You have entered too many times today". ("to" vs. "too")
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #8 of 46
got it on webclip. anyone know what the music count is up to?
post #9 of 46
There are 265 days left in the year. At 5M downloads a day that is a 2nd Billion in 200 days after hitting the first Billion.

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded. Then in June-July the new iPhone will certainly cause another push to the handset which will increase the app download rate. Then there is the iPod Touch update with the next iPod release around Aug-Oct that will cause a smaller, but noticeable increase. Finally, there is the opening up of the 30-pin connector and those 1000 new APIs that will help push developers to make even more apps and attachments that use apps. All of these things, along with this giveaway, that will boost the numbers. I think 5M is about half of what we'll see per day average later this year.

At 5M a day it should be a full to weeks before 1B is obtained, but I have a feeling it will be completely in around 10 days. Monday, April 20th.

How fast did the iTunes Music Store sell in comparison?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #10 of 46
From what I gathered in the Terms & Conditions its not a 'draw' but rather just the lucky person that downloads the 1 Billionth App or the first free entry afer the download of the 999,999,999th App whichever comes first.

So its really a game of skill and timing... so don't get your hopes up! (And no point in downloading or entering now, not until the downloads ticks much higher).

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

got it on webclip. anyone know what the music count is up to?

Since hitting 3B they have adding another Billion about every 6 months, so I would image that they will be at 7B around June, making them at around 6.7B right now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_...and_milestones
post #12 of 46
Nice idea! I'm going to buy Crazy Penguins Catapult :-) I was thinking about it since last week, my girl loves it.
post #13 of 46
The countdown isn't live though. But Apple should tweek it with accurate figures as we draw closer to the billion

See the countdown is running off this data [countdown.txt] which has the number of downloads as at 6am on the 10th of april, and the countdown will approximate the number that would have been downloaded by now.
post #14 of 46
create some ticker bot?

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since hitting 3B they have adding another Billion about every 6 months, so I would image that they will be at 7B around June, making them at around 6.7B right now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_...and_milestones

Well, with the new rate structure, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact to the sales rate. I think the music labels screwed up on this one...
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Well, with the new rate structure, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact to the sales rate. I think the music labels screwed up on this one...

I don't think it's going to make a difference. For 30¢ more on some tracks you do get twice the bitrate and no DRM. The other, large online music store are doing the same variable pricing. I think the convenience of the whole setup for teh 88% that own iPods and use iTunes will win out.
post #17 of 46
Deleted
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
set you free."
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywoodr View Post

The countdown isn't live though. But Apple should tweek it with accurate figures as we draw closer to the billion

See the countdown is running off this data [countdown.txt] which has the number of downloads as at 6am on the 10th of april, and the countdown will approximate the number that would have been downloaded by now.

countdown.txt seems to get updated hourly. The current data shows 8am (I assume Cupertino time).
set you free."
set you free."
post #19 of 46
Quote:

The music store took 1032 days to reach its first billion. Then 320 days to reach its second billion. And 203 days to reach its third billion.

The app store will take 282-284 days to reach its first billion (assume Apr 20-22). And will probably reach its second billion in less than 150 days.
set you free."
set you free."
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

The entry form is required under the "Mooch" law, but you're only entitled to a single entry.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The entry form is required under the "Mooch" law, but you're only entitled to a single entry.

Limit: Regardless of which method of entry is used to enter the Promotion, only twenty-five (25) entries per person and/or iTunes account and/or email address, per day will be granted.

That sounds like even moochers should be able to enter 25 times per day.
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
====
"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM) 2004, Trinity Life Systems
post #22 of 46
Quote:

There are 265 days left in the year. At 5M downloads a day that is a 2nd Billion in 200 days after hitting the first Billion.

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded. Then in June-July the new iPhone will certainly cause another push to the handset which will increase the app download rate. Then there is the iPod Touch update with the next iPod release around Aug-Oct that will cause a smaller, but noticeable increase. Finally, there is the opening up of the 30-pin connector and those 1000 new APIs that will help push developers to make even more apps and attachments that use apps. All of these things, along with this giveaway, that will boost the numbers. I think 5M is about half of what we'll see per day average later this year.

At 5M a day it should be a full to weeks before 1B is obtained, but I have a feeling it will be completely in around 10 days. Monday, April 20th.

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge
potential source of app store business.
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge potential source of app store business.

I thought of that, but then I figure if they can't use WiFi and they are limited with the type of content they can download, would they not have a separate App Store? Would it still be under Apple's control? I think the answer is yes to both questions, but we still need to see when the iPhone will be released there. Either way, I think Apple will be making some major sales when they do. I was thinking they were holding off until this quarter to shore up numbers that would drop in most places as people wait for for the next version to be released, but it seems that is not the case.
post #24 of 46
A great idea to increase App downloads.

I guess Apple wants to get 1 Billion under its pants ASAP before the launch of iPhone number 3.

Because without this contest, the way to 1 billion was still over 1 million downloads away.

They are trying hard it seems.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
post #25 of 46
Just post the Slingbox app already!...
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

A great idea to increase App downloads.

I guess Apple wants to get 1 Billion under its pants ASAP before the launch of iPhone number 3.

Because without this contest, the way to 1 billion was still over 1 million downloads away.

They are trying hard it seems.

It is called marketing. They really don't need this contest to reach a billion download. At the current rate of 3.4 million download a day, they can reach one billion in less month from today (25 days). This is well before the next generation iPhone launch sometime in Jun or July.
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'll be able to participate in the promotion even if I download a Free app, right?

You can also participate without downloading anything. Just fill out their contest entry form online... up to 25 times per day. Guess I've got my next month of time already blocked out with this task...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You didn't mention that iPhone might be released in China this year too. That is a huge
potential source of app store business.

I have a feeling that the apps available to the Chinese may be individually scrutinized and/or blocked.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #29 of 46
As far as we know, there are no more iMac updates expected over the next 4 to 5 months... right?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 46
Quebec-living people CANNOT participate because of... [Enter invalid reason here] It's frustrating... But anyways, I wouldn't have won probably.
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is called marketing. They really don't need this contest to reach a billion download. At the current rate of 3.4 million download a day, they can reach one billion in less month from today (25 days). This is well before the next generation iPhone launch sometime in Jun or July.

proven that the downloads are most when you first purchase the phone then die off sharply after 1 mth.

I use to download tons of Apps and now I don't. Google the facts.
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
post #32 of 46
This is logical, why do you expect people to forever download many app? Its logical that people are going to purchase the most apps when the device is new. Once you have the apps you use the most you aren't going to continue to download the same number.

Quote:

proven that the downloads are most when you first purchase the phone then die off sharply after 1 mth.

post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is logical, why do you expect people to forever download many app? Its logical that people are going to purchase the most apps when the device is new. Once you have the apps you use the most you aren't going to continue to download the same number.

Perhaps he doesn't realize that people do that with PCs, too. I'd say that they are more likely to not add as many additional apps after their initial setup as they are with the iPhone. Mostly because the ease of buying and installion from the device, combined with the low price and general high quality of the apps makes it a must have. I just downloaded Dictionary.com's new app yesterday. This is great, I just wish that every word was clickable like with Apple's Mac version.
post #34 of 46
Can you buy a Macbook Pro with an iTunes gift card?

With a 30" display, 8GB RAM etc, tick all the boxes for everything!!!

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #35 of 46
Google my arse!

I used to download lots of Apps for the first month too, then the second, third, fourth and so on, now as I approach my ninth month of iPhone 3G ownership I am downloading as many as ever.

Skype, Wolfenstein 3D (Yay! ID software, Doom, Doom, Doom and Quake, Quake, Quake... John Carmack if you are reading this, please please, please, please!!!), there is so much worthwhile stuff coming out all the time.

Bring on iPhone OS 3.0 so the Apps go up another notch!!!

Quote:

post #36 of 46
Quote:

I downloaded a lot the first month or so, stopped for about 6-8 months, then started up again. Now I check the apps store regularly, there's usually something new every week worth getting.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I downloaded a lot the first month or so, stopped for about 6-8 months, then started up again. Now I check the apps store regularly, there's usually something new every week worth getting.

With so many apps and the convoluted nature of the iTunes Store, which I dislike greatly, I tend to wait for other sources to point out new apps that I may like. Most notably is AppleInsider Backpage. I'm guessing it isn't read much they rarely get comments on the blogs.

I just keep the RSS link in my reader..
http://www.appleinsider.com/rss/backpage_blog.rss
post #38 of 46
Quote:

Although I assume that this daily download rate will be increasing as I imagine that Apple is counting update downloads, as they are the full app being downloaded.

It's so obvious that Apple is NOT counting updates that they see no reason to mention it. I'm sure if someone called, they'd be surprised that anyone would even think that would be the case.

Just think about it. There are over 30M iPhones and iPod touches, as of Dec. 31, and probably 33+M by now, and over 30,000 apps available. 1B discrete apps downloaded would be about 30 apps each. Not out of the realm of possibility considering that the typical iPod has about 30 music tracks downloaded, but with the iPhone and touch, many of those downloads can be free ones.

With Facebook at over 6.7M downloads, it would only take about 150 apps of that popularity to reach 1B. Of course, some apps reach 6.7M downloads and some are just ones and twos, but with over 30,000 apps available, 1B discrete downloads is a pittance.

Why people assume updates are included seems obviously nonsensical upon a few seconds of reflection, I just cringe every time I hear that. What were you thinking?
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Just think about it. There are over 30M iPhones and iPod touches, as of Dec. 31, and probably 33+M by now, and over 30,000 apps available. 1B discrete apps downloaded would be about 30 apps each.

Mea culpa, that math does work out.

Quote:
I just cringe every time I hear that. What were you thinking?

No need to cringe, just point the simple math of 1,000,000,000 / 33,000,000 = ~30. I assumed it was updates too because it is what I would have done unless some governing body disallowed it. It is a full download of the app, after all.
post #40 of 46
Quote:

Can you provide a link to that proof/study please?

I remember that an iPhone app tracker said that people stopped using "Free" apps after short while not stop purchasing at all. Personally, I have been buying apps at constant pace. I buy apps that I need and many of the apps I need are just becoming available.

By the way, Apple reached 500 Million download in early January this year meaning an average of 2.8 Million apps per day. From January to now (920 million - 500 million = 420 Millions in 3 months) meaning 4.6 million each day. Based on the sales data, Apple sales actually increasing not decreasing. This makes sense because now there are more than 25,000 apps compared to 15,000 apps in january. More apps mean more sales.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple begins countdown to 1 billion App Store downloads