or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

post #1 of 175
Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs is still very much involved in his company's direction even as he recuperates at home -- and is said to be on track with a new portable device larger than the company's handhelds.

Those reportedly aware of Jobs' position have told the Wall Street Journal that, as promised, he's regularly overseeing projects and has guided some of its most recently publicized work.

In particular, Jobs is understood to have been instrumental in shaping the interface of iPhone OS 3.0, which adds copy-and-paste text as well as device-wide search.

More importantly, the executive is still believed invested in long-term strategy. While new iPhones are to be expected, the newspaper also understands that Apple is as focused as ever on producing a portable device that sits in between the small, pocketable designs of the iPhone and iPod touch but not as large as existing MacBooks.

Despite the supposedly close access, though, the tips don't describe what that device would be. Recent reports have seen Apple order 10-inch touchscreens for an unknown product due later this year; it's commonly believed to either be Apple's long-in-development tablet-class device or else the company's closest equivalent to a netbook.

However much Jobs remains in control from a distance, his company is still described as eager to get him back. At this late stage, those close to Apple's business are still confident that Jobs will be back in June, or just two months from now; simultaneously, the firm's board of directors is anxiously ensuring this is the case by talking regularly with Jobs' doctors.

And even if Jobs were to spend longer outside of his office at 1 Infinite Loop, Apple is claimed to have a roadmap for the next several years.

The one remaining worry is thought to be a shift in upper-level (but not executive) staff drifting away from the company, although these aren't necessarily connected to doubts about leadership. A lead Apple TV software engineer, Greg Dudey, is known to have left for Dell. What exactly prompted the move isn't known.
post #2 of 175
Sweet.....
post #3 of 175
Eh...
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 175
You're welcome for the WSJ article I sent you this morning...
post #5 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Always credit your sources! AI knows better than that.

Jobs hated the Newton for two reasons:

1) It was scumbag Sculley's pet project.
2) It was underpowered.

Now he is in a position to address both shortcomings, and is apparently doing so.
post #6 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The one remaining worry is thought to be a shift in upper-level (but not executive) staff drifting away from the company, although these aren't necessarily connected to doubts about leadership. A lead Apple TV software engineer, Greg Dudey, is known to have left for Dell. What exactly prompted the move isn't known.

Apple's cult-like work environment has the tendency of driving a certain flavor of employees away. I hope ATV is on track for a major revamp especially now that BlockBusters are going down!
bb
bb
post #7 of 175
[QUOTE=Mister Snitch;1401738]Always credit your sources! AI knows better than that.

Maybe AI reads WJS too....I do, doesn't everyone?
post #8 of 175
After recent revelations about how analysts seed false reports and rumors to manipulate stock prices I am now skeptical of any article like this. How would such a report benefit a crooked (just about all of them, apparently) analyst? This story seems to reinforce the idea that Apple will eventually fail without Jobs and could be the prelude to a huge short selling frenzy. The article states that Jobs is still making the critical decisions (maybe he is for all we know. maybe not.) Recent reports have all touted that Apple is doing just fine without Jobs and that customers don't seem to care. Now comes this WSJ story that Jobs is still running the joint from home. All these analysts need to do now is seed a rumor that Jobs is critically ill and will never return. The stock tanks once again and somebody makes tons of money.

I know, I know. But just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean somebody isn't really after me.
post #9 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple's cult-like work environment has the tendency of driving a certain flavor of employees away. I hope ATV is on track for a major revamp especially now that BlockBusters are going down!

Yeah, I was thinking the same. But DULL? Unless you got a big time Jones for living in Austin? And yes, I do know that Dell has locations around the world.... but it's still Dell.

I have met Michael Dell a few times socially. As a twist to the new old Bentsen-envoking-Kennedy lines goes: "Michael, you're no Steve Jobs!"
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #10 of 175
[QUOTE=Fast Fred 1;1401743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Maybe AI reads WJS too....I do, doesn't everyone?

Frankly, not much since Murdoch's bunch took over the helm.
post #11 of 175
Quote:

Did you ever think that someone else besides you may have seen the article on teh internets and sent in a link to it also? It's rather churlish to be hunting for kudos and the source is the New York Times anyway, (which is properly accredited), not you.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #12 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Did you ever think that someone else besides you may have seen the article on teh internets and sent in a link to it also? It's rather churlish to be hunting for kudos and the source is the New York Times anyway, (which is properly accredited), not you.

Agreed.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #13 of 175
Get well soon!
post #14 of 175
I am new to Apple Insider, but I could see thses toch screens being put to the use of a new kind of computer. It seems like the next logical step for apple. A small personal computer in which the keyboard is integrated into the touch screen. It would be very impressive to see something like that, even if it were to be faily expensive.
post #15 of 175
Newton II

Not sure what the official name will be, but this tablet is going to be sweet. Start saving your money.
post #16 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Eh...

Is that it? Where are the pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapplephile View Post

I am new to Apple Insider, but I could see thses toch screens being put to the use of a new kind of computer. It seems like the next logical step for apple. A small personal computer in which the keyboard is integrated into the touch screen. It would be very impressive to see something like that, even if it were to be faily expensive.

I'd rather see a 10" netbook-like device that isn't so underpowered. Like using lower powered C2D tech over Atom.

I keep going with a MacBook because of the 13" size is a good balance for me, but I'd go for a 15" (or 17") MBP if I could get a 10" MB to go with it.

However, I don't think we'll see any new Mac device or tablet until a few months after the iPhone launch and not anytime before it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #17 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Start saving your money.

Even with a touch screen, I think it would be a bad idea for Apple to price it higher than the Macbook.

The answer to the question will depend heavily on what processors it comes with. I would bet on it being an Ion-based product with the 9400M chipset and Intel Atom.

10" touch screen
120GB HDD (SSD optional) - maybe a 1.8" drive
2GB Ram
9400M
sealed battery but with the tech in the 17" MBP, except maybe half the size.
runs Snow Leopard, small footprint, Cocoa Touch and optimized for 9400M

$799 (£599)

The Atom chip shaves off $200 from the lowest end $999 Macbook. It may be overly optimistic but I'd expect no optical drive unlike the MB. I think they need to aim for this price at most to sway netbook buyers who don't get an optical drive either.

A netbook can still be bought for £299 but the form factor, software, battery life, graphics performance and touch interaction should be enough to persuade some to pay double.
post #18 of 175
Quote:

The assumption here is that there was no independent development of the story.
Quote:

I'm not to sure that Jobs ever really hated the Newton.
From the management standpoint he had no choice, the company was on the verge of colapse. Basically he was brought in at a time where there where nothing but hard decisions to be made.
Quote:

2) It was underpowered.

As to underpowered what wasn't back then? Much the same could be said about todays iMacs with their laptop hardware. Still the iMacs get a lot of work done for their happy owners. Like wise the Newton still has devoted followers.
Quote:

Now he is in a position to address both shortcomings, and is apparently doing so.

That remains to be seen and I for one hope that something along the lines of a Newton 2 is coming. The device should be focused on a slightly different user base or maybe better said have a different suite of primary apps. The big problem is that this doesn't jive with reports of the use of ten inch screens.

I'm really hoping that Apple has a couple of devices in development as I can see the ten inch device having it's own appeal but it will be to big for what many of us want. What is that you ask, simple a Touch based device that has a screen that is 5.5 to 7.5 inches diagonal. Oh and support multitasking on the device. Basically all the goodness of iPhone/Touch with a bigger screen.

Dave
post #19 of 175
Quote:

I'll thank you if no one else will.
post #20 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is that it? Where are the pics?

sigh..
post #21 of 175
[QUOTE=justflybob;1401748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Agreed - read it everyday, and not happy with the changes.
post #22 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Even with a touch screen, I think it would be a bad idea for Apple to price it higher than the Macbook.

The answer to the question will depend heavily on what processors it comes with. I would bet on it being an Ion-based product with the 9400M chipset and Intel Atom.

10" touch screen
2GB Ram
9400M

$799 (£599)

If you think this tablet will be $799 you're kidding yourself.
post #23 of 175
Quote:

10" touch screen
2GB Ram
9400M

$799 (£599)

The Atom chip shaves off $200 from the lowest end $999 Macbook. It may be overly optimistic but I'd expect no optical drive unlike the MB. I think they need to aim for this price at most to sway netbook buyers who don't get an optical drive either.

A netbook can still be bought for £299 but the form factor, software, battery life, graphics performance and touch interaction should be enough to persuade some to pay double.

I can't see Apple pricing it higher than the MacBook, but I can see it be at least $800, but closer to $1000.

I don't see a need for a 1.8" drive, like in the MBA, because I doubt that it would (or could) be so thin that a regular 9.5mm drive wouldn't fit. Sure, a 1.8" HDD has a smaller footprint over a 2.5" HDD drive but there would be sufficient room for the larger drive once you get rid of the optical drive.

I think such a device would have the same thickness as the rest of the unibody MacBook line. I think that with a 10" widescreen, removing some of ports on the sides where the keyboard would be so you could thickening up the side wall, and a non-removable battery, that the keyboard could be about the same size as it is now. Maybe a little shrinking, but I hope not.

I think that some cool features like a back-lit keyboard would help to separate in the minds of shoppers wondering why this netbook-sized device costs 3x as much.

Internally I don't think that it would have Atom, but a low-powered C2D like in the MBA, just not the expensive small form factor dies that it uses. Of course paired with 9400M, a non-removable battery and the regular OS X goodness.

Quote:

sigh..

You know you are known around here for promoting such a device and we do like your mockups. So why the sighing?
post #24 of 175
Quote:

Actually I'm looking at this from the other direction it is fairly stupid of them to price it muchbhigher than the Touch devices and certainly not much more than iPhone as these will be the devices it will be competeing with in the consumers mind.
Quote:

Such a device would loose right out of the starting gate. Mainly because it is too much power (as in watts) to put into a truely compact and portable device. Of course if Apple is waiting on Intels new transistor tech that would drop power ten fold then there are more possibilities. Right now though ARM gives you far better low power performance.

One big issue is that if Apple where to get access to and implement a true 64 bit Atom then the platform could have a long future. In fact I see 64 bits as the only reason to go with Atom. Otherwise Apple has a huge advantage in ARM built software.
Quote:

10" touch screen

10 inches is to big for my needs. More importantly I really hope that Apple can break away from the drive as a module approach and go with storage on a PCI express card like is becoming popular with netbooks. Why, because it offers up the potential for thinner devices and more importantly faster storage at low power. SSD have already gone beyond what SATA can handle speed wise so the use of PCI Express just readies things for the future.
Quote:
2GB Ram
9400M

RAM is important and how much will be in there depends in my mind on how the device is positioned. I'm affraid that if it is a Touch family device they will implement far to little in the way of RAM. As to the GPU it is possible to get better built right into the ARM chip so that I don't worry about.
Quote:

$799 (£599)

Too expensive at $800. About that battery there are alternatives all the tech in the Pros battery is in the fact that it is bigger. Also how does a ten inch device equal a small foot print?

As to the OS it comes down to what family the device is positioned with. If it is to be a Mac then obviously Snow Leopard. If it is another Touch based device then Mobile OS makes sense. Personally I like the approach of Mobile OS as seen on the Touch devices. It would need minor tweaks for a more capable platform but these are easy things to implement. For example more RAM, user multitasking and better I/O support.

What really makes my iPhone great is app store and the ability to get and update apps from one source. It is sort of like a Linux repository in that you are pretty much assured that the apps work with your distro and you don't have to search all over the planet for them.

All that being said app store does need a little work in organization but the concept is sound.
Quote:

I'm not sure where the optical drive even comes into the picture. It is a tech that shouldn't even be in the compact laptops.

As to Atom shaving costs it can certainly do that. But not to the extent that a custom SoC ARM based device could. This is absolutely key to producing a good performing machine at reasonable cost. Given expressions from Apple indicating that they are going this route anyways, that is SoC for portable devices I can't see them not doing so for the tablet device. I actually see the potential here for Apple to actually lead in price and performance. Especially if battery time is a component of that performance measurement.
Quote:

Well they do that now for Apple products. Ouch!

Really though Apple has the potential here to meet that price, better performance and deliver a better user experience all at the same time with ARM. That is really the promise of a SoC, that is low cost and very good performance. Plus that huge vault of apps on app store answers in part the software issue.

Dave
post #25 of 175
Quote:

2) It was underpowered.

Just like with PowerPC processors.
post #26 of 175
[QUOTE=justflybob;1401748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

He really did destroy it, didn't he! Happy to let my subscription lapse!
post #27 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same. But DULL? Unless you got a big time Jones for living in Austin? And yes, I do know that Dell has locations around the world.... but it's still Dell.

I have met Michael Dell a few times socially. As a twist to the new old Bentsen-envoking-Kennedy lines goes: "Michael, you're no Steve Jobs!"

More money and a nice high executive position go a long way in luring people away from companies.
post #28 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism

You know you are known around here for promoting such a device and we do like your mockups. So why the sighing?

sigh..
post #29 of 175
Quote:

sigh..

Okay, now your comments are becoming Teckstudian.
post #30 of 175
Quote:

Heh. I like "Teckstudian" as an adjective. Kind of has a Shakespearian ring.

"Silence, you Teckstudian varlet!"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #31 of 175
Quote:

sigh matters.
post #32 of 175
Quote:

sigh matters.

OTOH, you've been flogging the touch tablet for what, 5 years now? Since I think around the time you gave up on the integrated Apple TV thing (or are you still nursing that one?).

Therefore, you have forfeited your sigh rights based on some obscure statute of limitations that I just made up.

So there!
post #33 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OTOH, you've been flogging the touch tablet for what, 5 years now? Since I think around the time you gave up on the integrated Apple TV thing (or are you still nursing that one?).

Therefore, you have forfeited your sigh rights based on some obscure statute of limitations that I just made up.

So there!

I'm not even sure of the sigh remarks are meant to be pejorative or not. I'd guess that they are since there was no emoticon to offset the cryptic and brief reply. I quite like the mockups, even though I think there are technical issues that need to be addresses with concept of tablet to make it viable, but they look slick. I would personally much rather see a netbook design arrive. To each their own, I guess.
post #34 of 175
Quote:

I'm not even sure of the sigh remarks are meant to be pejorative or not. I'd guess that they are since there was no emoticon to offset the cryptic and brief reply. I quite like the mockups, even though I think there are technical issues that are being addresses with concept of tablet. I would personally much rather see a netbook design arrive. To each their own, I guess.

No, I like the mockups as well, I just like to give Ireland a hard time for the longevity of his predictions.
post #35 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wrong, asstard. I sent them the link to the wsj artlcle along with the article itself. I could give two shits about credit. What i do care about is that the author re-wrote the wsj article almost to imply that the blogger was researching the subject -- to which i call bullshit.

Only a flaming liberal reads NYT. Suggest you pull your head out of your liberal ass before claiming to know what you're talking about when it comes to sources.
post #36 of 175
Quote:

Wrong, asstard. I sent them the link to the wsj artlcle along with the article itself. I could give two shits about credit. What i do care about is that the author re-wrote the wsj article almost to imply that the blogger was researching the subject -- to which i call bullshit.

Only a flaming liberal reads NYT. Suggest you pull your head out of your liberal ass before claiming to know what you're talking about when it comes to sources.

Charming. Feeling a little beleaguered these days, are we?
post #37 of 175
Hey Ireland, Wizard!

The tablet doubters will be cast aside with a flick of Steve Jobs' wrist soon!
We will rule this forum when that day comes! Muhoohahahaaaa! :P

Joking aside, I'm hoping beyond hope that Steve goes the extra mile and incorporates flexible screen technology. There is still a chance!
The ultimate mobile will upon us all in less than a couple months!
post #38 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hey Ireland, Wizard!

The tablet doubters will be cast aside with a flick of Steve Jobs' wrist soon!
We will rule this forum when that day comes! Muhoohahahaaaa! :P

Joking aside, I'm hoping beyond hope that Steve goes the extra mile and incorporates flexible screen technology. There is still a chance!
The ultimate mobile will upon us all in less than a couple months!

Oh, I've already braced myself for the Dr. Evil level pinky to mouth snickering from the tablet gang, should it come to pass.

What you don't know is that I've already predicted that Apple will release an iPhone that docks with a monitor and keyboard and which can edit 4k video on Final Cut Pro Super Extreme.

And I'm willing to wait it out.
post #39 of 175
That would make it 6x8" (a shade over the area of a Kindle 2).
Slap in the new form-fitting battery as in the 17" MBP.
1/2" thick.
Run full OS X with WiFi & BT.
MagSafe and 1 USB, headphone and Mini Display port and that's it.

I'd get one. The only thing I don't bother with as much as other things on my Touch is the web. Yes, it works, but mostly the web is on the verge of unreadable unless you zoom in, and of course without Flash and Java too much of the web is hobbled. But if you're going this big, then go OS X and not the iPhone/iPT OS subset.
post #40 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What you don't know is that I've already predicted that Apple will release an iPhone that docks with a monitor and keyboard and which can edit 4k video on Final Cut Pro Super Extreme.

And that monitor would not by chance be called iMac?
(More seriously, I would like to plug my iPhone into any Mac and continue working where I left of when I left my Mac at home.)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device