or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device - Page 3

post #81 of 175
Ohhhh the dots are starting to connect a bit - the lightweight nand, the small screen, and the desire to shift away from Windows mobile on the Apple Store hand-held AIO scanners/inventory/multi-widget.....

Maybe.
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

"6x9" is the exact size of the standard non-fiction trade paperback (in most of the world) for the last fifty years or so, and thus the perfect size for an electronic book.

Non-fiction trade paperback doesn't require an on-screen software keyboard, doesn't have a menubar, and doesn't have a dock. Bad analogy when you analyze it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Non-fiction trade paperback doesn't require an on-screen software keyboard, doesn't have a menubar, and doesn't have a dock. Bad analogy when you analyze it.

Well you missed my analogy completely and you also didn't notice that I was actually supporting your argument. I've had enough experience arguing with your whack-jobby-ness that I won't press it further though.
Remember to take your pills.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #84 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well you missed my analogy completely and you also didn't notice that I was actually supporting your argument. I've had enough experience arguing with your whack-jobby-ness that I won't press it further though.
Remember to take your pills.

I read your comment, I thought you meant 6 x 9 was your size dimension limit (and thus the "perfect" size). I said 9.25" x 6.75". 6.75" is almost 1" bigger for example. My apologies for misinterpreting you. I am actually taking pills btw, my signature gives that away.
post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, a bigger version of this keeps popping into my head for some reason:

Yes that would be a step in the right direction. A small device that can roll up the flexible display but also have a mechanism to unfold the screen and keep it rigid to work with.
I remember that show too. It had a great cast, production team and everything. But I still ended up not liking the show. I loved the tech on the show though. Earth: final conflict

Anyways, I think that prototype is a good place to start but I believe the design can be refined even FURTHER than that. I hope Jon Ive is as good as he thinks he is.
post #86 of 175
I would love to see an iPhone/iTouch that opens like a clam shell making it almost square when opened. There would be no border between the upper and lower sections but would appear to be one screen and react that way. I think Apple is the only company that cares enough to maybe even make it hard to tell that it is two screens. Meaning the seam would be hard to see.

But then I wish they would do the same with the iMac making it easier for those of us who can't afford two iMacs to be able to fold it in half and put it in a carry bag and take it back and forth to work.

Why not just get a Mac laptop? Well, they only have a 17" screen and cost a lot more and I don't need to run it off a battery.

Why not the Mac mini? Did I miss something or the 24" iMac had a lot bigger hard drive, faster CPUs, and I wouldn't have to mess with separate monitor from the computer.
post #87 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I'm sure you've seen the Samsung OLED demo of a foldable device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhBDBSWfb5s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtN_TkZUOt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9V0IUujFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SCZvU8sGU

But this is not a flexible display!
Instead it is two completely rigid displays - just with a very thin seam.
Personally I would prefer this solution for two reasons:

- Wear and tear
Opening/closing a flexible, bendable display might only work a few hundred or a few thousand times before hair cracks show up killing some pixels.

- Rigid Surface
For multitouch to work well you'd want a rigid surface - even when holding the device with one hand while standing in a commuter train. A flexible display might not have a strong enough foundation to work well here. Two rigid, but seamless 'foldable' displays certainly don't have that problem.

Your making a lot of assumptions on tech your not an expert on......not that I'm saying I'm an expert either. Also, that strong foundation your talking about is just a variable on design which can be solved in a multitude of ways with the right ideas and materials.

We are talking about an advanced idea here. All the negativity reminds me so much of the Apple's competition before 2007. Then came the iPhone. We know it is possible so lets just get cracking on the product....now!
I can just imagine Steve Jobs saying something similar to that last sentence to his team sometime before 2007.
post #88 of 175
Guys, what's with all the wacky ideas? Just keep it simple. Make a M-T tablet with a 10.1" screen, give it a Cocoa-touch UI, software keyboard and some type of clever stand on the back that can pop in and pop out.

K.I.S.S.
post #89 of 175
Quote:

Guys, what's with all the wacky ideas? Just keep it simple. Make a M-T tablet with a 10.1" screen, give it a Cocoa-touch UI, software keyboard and some type of clever stand on the back that can pop in and pop out.

K.I.S.S.

Ireland, are you suggesting this thing would be based on iPhone OS, or just a similar interface?

I'm an iPhone developer, and it just seems sort of... Whacky to expect such a device to run the actual iPhone OS... And expect iPhone apps to run on it anyway.

A UI similar to iPhone wouldn't be bad but... It needs a document architecture which iPhone OS doesn't have.
post #90 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, a bigger version of this keeps popping into my head for some reason:

I loved that show, and I believe we'll see such a device on the market within 2-3 years.
post #91 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Ireland, are you suggesting this thing would be based on iPhone OS, or just a similar interface?

Could you clarify "or just a similar interface"? If it means what I think it might, then no, I am absolutely not suggesting that. I am suggesting the full verion, or very close to the full version of OS X, with all the trimmings, only touch based. This would require "years" or work, and years it has taken. Perhaps 7 years from when all this tablet work began at Apple.
post #92 of 175
Quote:

Could you clarify "or just a similar interface"? If it means what I think it might, then no, I am absolutely not suggesting that. I am suggesting the full verion, or very close to the full version of OS X, with all the trimmings, only touch based. This would require "years" or work, and years it has taken. Perhaps 7 years from when all this tablet work began at Apple.

I was refering to iPhone OS, not the Mac. Everything I wrote was in regards to the iPhone.

Personally I see your idea of a full integration between Touch and a Document based computer as fundamentally opposed to the concept Apple is pursuing, and against everything that Apple is doing with the Touch and desktop platforms.

Apple specifically made iPhone OS without a document architecture. The concept was that you don't want to do document editing on a touch device, you want a desktop or notebook with a keyboard.

It just seems that the direction Apple are heading in is to split the platforms as far apart as they can. Apple's technologies evangelists will say that very thing.

I guess my point is... If this is the way Apple wants to go, integrating the Touch and Mac lines somehow wouldn't they have made iPhone more like Windows Mobile, with its document based architecture, if they planned to integrate the two lines somehow?

It just doesn't seem to fit in with the Apple line and direction at all.
post #93 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are some things that are synced, like notes and email so that you don't have to stop working when you move from one device to the other. Surely it can be more fluid, robust and versatile, I know that it will, but what exactly are you looking for?
I think iWork.com will be the first major push from Apple with that capability with cloud computing the easiest way to implement that. I have been enjoying for nearly a year now how all my vital stuff is auto-synced from iPhone to Mac via MobileMe.

I know we are moving in the right direction. A lot of things already work:
- e-mail, thanks to IMAP
- bookmarks thanks to del.ico.us
- for certain things version control (eg, subversion even though it is way to cumbersome except for certain types of files and projects)
- address book/calenders thanks to MobileMe
- iWork.com and Google Docs

Essentially I would like the level of consistency that the Migration Assistant generates. I know that won't happen any time soon but everything that brings me closer is welcome. How hard would it be for Apple to include more application syncing via MobileMe? I for once would like to sync my dashboard stickie notes.

But apart from the syncing of data, keeping two computers up to date takes some time (even with apps like AppFresh and Application Update.
post #94 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I know we are moving in the right direction. A lot of things already work:
- e-mail, thanks to IMAP
- bookmarks thanks to del.ico.us
- for certain things version control (eg, subversion even though it is way to cumbersome except for certain types of files and projects)
- address book/calenders thanks to MobileMe
- iWork.com and Google Docs

Essentially I would like the level of consistency that the Migration Assistant generates. I know that won't happen any time soon but everything that brings me closer is welcome. How hard would it be for Apple to include more application syncing via MobileMe? I for once would like to sync my dashboard stickie notes.

But apart from the syncing of data, keeping two computers up to date takes some time (even with apps like AppFresh and Application Update.

Git, Bazaar and Subversion.

del.ico.us is a social bookmark service. That's it.

Quote:
Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows users to tag, save, manage and share web pages from a centralized source. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet.

Big deal.

Address book/calendars aren't thanks to MobileMe. Those are services MobileMe is thankful to use.
post #95 of 175
Quote:

I guess my point is... If this is the way Apple wants to go, integrating the Touch and Mac lines somehow wouldn't they have made iPhone more like Windows Mobile, with its document based architecture, if they planned to integrate the two lines somehow?

Apple understand the basics, very clearly. It's a phone, not a computer. When people see the iPhone they see "phone", they don't see "computer", besides the screen is too small to really do any "work" on it. I guess in my head I see this newer tablet as a "computer". While the iPhone will continue to remain a phone.
post #96 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Wrong, asstard. I sent them the link to the wsj artlcle along with the article itself. I could give two shits about credit. What i do care about is that the author re-wrote the wsj article almost to imply that the blogger was researching the subject -- to which i call bullshit.

Only a flaming liberal reads NYT. Suggest you pull your head out of your liberal ass before claiming to know what you're talking about when it comes to sources.

You sound like quite a piece of work. You needed to get that 'flaming liberal' in there eh?
I know it sucks to be a republican these days (now that you've become pretty much a joke party thats become more and more hysterical as each day passes) but try to retain some dignity.
post #97 of 175
Quote:

ʎsɐǝ

˙ǝpnp 'sǝǝuʞ sǝǝq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #98 of 175
Steve's eves weaves peeves please.
Leave the poor bastard alone!
post #99 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The tablet is a solution looking for a problem... simply playing media is not compelling enough on it's own.

I think University might be the place for it. At home and work you have a desk available, so you can have a luxurious fixed device. On the streets you need something very portable, like phone-sized.

I know one place I'd use it - making presentations for customers, particularly at trade shows. A laptop is cumbersome to hold in your hands while showing a presentation; a tablet would be ideal.

Trade show presentations by itself isn't a huge market, but if it caught on with sales people who do presentations, it could be huge.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #100 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Newton II

Not sure what the official name will be, but this tablet is going to be sweet. Start saving your money.

Anything but iTablet or iWhatever.
post #101 of 175
Directors talking directly to the doctors? That part of the report seems questionable. They'd need Jobs' permission and it seems more likely he'd share a general prognosis with the board himself.

It would actually be better for the long-term stability of the stock if Apple were seen to be doing just fine with minimal input from Jobs. I would question whether the source of this leak has an interest in keeping the stock volatile and tied to health rumors.
post #102 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

˙ǝpnp 'sǝǝuʞ sǝǝq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ

I'll flip this text twice, just for you
post #103 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Directors talking directly to the doctors?

It's not about that, it's about "Steve told me to tell you no buttons on the right hand-side there". It really is that simple. You hear an order "Steve said" and then it's obvious to a lot of folks he's having input and impact.
post #104 of 175
Quote:

If you think this tablet will be $799 you're kidding yourself.

I think it will be $999 and replace the plastic MacBook.

A $999 10" Tablet that you can pair with a Bluetoof keyboard and Mouse and use as a computer or pick it up and go and use it like an oversized iPod Touch.
post #105 of 175
Quote:

I'll flip this text twice, just for you

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

That's clever thinking.

Quote:

A $999 10" Tablet that you can pair with a Bluetoof keyboard and Mouse and use as a computer or pick it up and go and use it like an oversized iPod Touch.

That's archaic thinking.
post #107 of 175
Quote:

I must pay you back for that incredible kindness. Here, I've flipped it on its Z-axis just for U, all alone on the phone calling home:
__
post #108 of 175
Quote:

I must pay you back for that incredible kindness. Here, I've flipped it on its Z-axis just for U, and only U:
__

I hadn't thought of that. You win.

I wish I had thought of using a clear background, but I don't have those kind of skills.
post #109 of 175
Quote:

I hadn't thought of that. You win.

I wish I had thought of using a clear background, but I don't have those kind of skills.

I edited my comment for humorous purposes. I see your signature. Do you like Clarkson?
post #110 of 175
Quote:

Very nice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #111 of 175
Whatever they do, this Tablet should include one or more SIM card slots. This would allow such a devise to become a true world device where one can use multiple international and domestic phone numbers for connection to data and voice.
post #112 of 175
Quote:

I'm an iPhone developer, and it just seems sort of... Whacky to expect such a device to run the actual iPhone OS... And expect iPhone apps to run on it anyway.

Isn't the iPhone based on OSX?

Assuming it's a touchscreen tablet without keyboard, wouldn't it be possible for it to run both osx AND iPhone apps?

It's hard to imagine that a device like this could really be successful without the ability to create and edit at least text documents.

If this really does turn out to be a touchscreen device with no keyboard, what are the chances that it would include a USB port (or at least bluetooth) and allow connecting a keyboard (either full sized or some sort of mini version)?

Quote:

That's archaic thinking.

What, even having the option of adding a keyboard? Why? I can totally see people wanting one of these but having a keyboard handy in their home or office for when they need to do serious typing. An onscreen keyboard is just never going to be as fast as a hardware one.
post #113 of 175
Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

Apple will not make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

Apple will not make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Trouble being arguing it from this direction is to argue the likelihood of Apple doing literally anything at all.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #115 of 175
Quote:

I agree. A 10" unibody MB priced at £700 to replace the current white plastic MB would make sense - it completes the transition to all unibody laptops whilst also maintaining a sensible 'entry-level' price point and gives Apple a foothold in the netbook market.

I also think 10" model would be too big for a Newton replacement. I would think a 6" or 7" screen size would be better. The Sony eBook Reader has a 6" screen and that looks good to me. If such a device materialises I would expect it to be a multi-function device - part media player, part eBook reader, part PDA and part tablet computer.
post #116 of 175
I would happily buy a tablet mac, sans the keyboard....as long as it ran a full version of OSX and not a pared down version with limited capabilities. No internal optical drive is needed; that is what external drives are for.

My biggest fears are that it will have soldered RAM and a slow processor. I don't need gaming rig speeds, but it needs to be quick. Another fear is that it won't support bootcamp, parallels, VMWare's software. Why is this important to me? I will need to boot into Vista...or Windows 7 (even better) so I can use handwriting recognition for Japanese language input. BUT, will this device even recognize a stylus or will it be multi-touch ONLY?

PLEASE Apple, don't make a niche product that cannot compete with the capabilities of a nice slate tablet PC! How about a decent handwriting recognition upgrade to OSX as well!!!
post #117 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I would happily buy a tablet mac, sans the keyboard....as long as it ran a full version of OSX and not a pared down version with limited capabilities. No internal optical drive is needed; that is what external drives are for.

My biggest fears are that it will have soldered RAM and a slow processor. I don't need gaming rig speeds, but it needs to be quick. Another fear is that it won't support bootcamp, parallels, VMWare's software. Why is this important to me? I will need to boot into Vista...or Windows 7 (even better) so I can use handwriting recognition for Japanese language input. BUT, will this device even recognize a stylus or will it be multi-touch ONLY?

PLEASE Apple, don't make a niche product that cannot compete with the capabilities of a nice slate tablet PC! How about a decent handwriting recognition upgrade to OSX as well!!!

I would imagine that Apple doesn't see the point in competing with slate PCs because tablets haven't been at all successful. Sure, for the people that need them to do what they do they're useful, but they certainly haven't made much of a dent in the larger market-- in fact, the PC tablet as it currently exists is the very definition of a "niche product."

So I would expect Apple, were they to make such a device, to do something different. In typical Apple fashion, that will mean giving up some "features" in order to get a lot of usability.

For edge cases such as yourself, it may be that some of those missing features will be a deal breaker, and you will lament Apple's decisions. But I wouldn't be surprised if an Apple tablet/slate/giant iPod/ whatever didn't sell a lot better than the PC versions of same have to date, because Apple will have thought long and hard about the why and how of such a device, before they start adding to that bullet pointed list of features.

So then PC users will laugh and point and talk about all the things that a given PC tablet can do or has that the Apple can't or doesn't, and then assure us that it's selling well because the lemmings will buy whatever Jobs tells them to buy, and then, when PC manufacturers start to mimic the Apple approach, angrily claim that that approach was obvious and inevitable and that Apple just happened to serendipitously wander onto the scene with such tech just slightly early, and, anyway, they copied Xerox.
post #118 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I agree. A 10" unibody MB priced at £700 to replace the current white plastic MB would make sense - it completes the transition to all unibody laptops whilst also maintaining a sensible 'entry-level' price point and gives Apple a foothold in the netbook market.

The reason I don't want this to happen is that it will prevent the 13" aluminum Macbook dropping to that price, which basically means that Apple's 13"+ screen portables starts at £930. This is the lowest size of screen some will find usable and it just pushes the price points higher and higher.

The Mac Pro used to have an entry point of £1450 or so and it's now £1900. I'm sure the iMac used to be £700 at one point - the 17" model - and is now £950 entry level.

It doesn't make Apple look like a premium brand, just overpriced. Especially when they can't put in a Core 2 Duo unless it's shrunk like the MBA. 10" touch screen + shrunk Core 2 Duo + 9400M, no optical for £700 when the MBA with non-touch 13" screen + Core 2 Duo + 9400M, no optical = £1271, close to double the price?

I think the only way they can make it worthwhile is by using the Ion platform so that they can shrink the form factor without the cost of a special Core 2 Duo, save on heat and power so that they can use a smaller battery, which uses their battery tech. Plus a lowered price at least interests possible netbook buyers.

Suffice to say, if they put a Core 2 Duo + 9400M into a 10" touch tablet for £700, the MBA is finished. I doubt Apple would do that.

I'm sticking to the Ion-based 10" tablet for £599 at most. Depending on the costs of the parts, £499 would be a better price given that 10" netbooks are £299 but Apple probably won't start with that price. They can introduce a £100 price drop across the line over time. I don't think the device will be a Macbook style because it really defeats the point of a touch display. It's such an awkward setup to touch the screen as you have to support the display. Also, if they can fit decent keyboard onto a 10" model, people will ask why the 13" MBA has an advantage; if not, then Apple will be hypocritical for saying they don't like to compromise the keyboard and screen size when aiming for portability.
post #119 of 175
Quote:

A modern eBook reader needs all of those things. Apple will probably integrate an online bookstore, a dictionary, bookmark/highlight capabilities and other things.

It's so funny to see people not realize that Apple is using the tablet/netbook idea to cover its pursuit of the book publishing and distribution market.

It's like watching the iMac/Columbus media box strategy all over again.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #120 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

A modern eBook reader needs all of those things. Apple will probably integrate an online bookstore, a dictionary, bookmark/highlight capabilities and other things.

It's so funny to see people not realize that Apple is using the tablet/netbook idea to cover its pursuit of the book publishing and distribution market.

It's like watching the iMac/Columbus media box strategy all over again.

Sadly it won't have 2 day battery life, whisper sync, or e-ink. So it will never even equal the Kindle as a book reader. It will however be the best tablet computer on the planet, and offer a compelling User and touch-screen experience. It may get its own app store, and will very likely get its own custom SDK build also. Besides, we've all mentioned this tablet would be great for books. Could be a great tool for students and schools.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device