or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone found ready for enterprise, better than BlackBerry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone found ready for enterprise, better than BlackBerry - Page 7

post #241 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

N-Gage is not failing. They are doing okay and more and more titles are coming out for it.

The total number of people who signed up for N-Gage is less than the number of people who bought SuperMonkeyball in the first 2 weeks.

N-Gage isn't failing, it is something much worse than mere failure.

C.
post #242 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The total number of people who signed up for N-Gage is less than the number of people who bought SuperMonkeyball in the first 2 weeks.

N-Gage isn't failing, it is something much worse than mere failure.

C.

When you say sign up, are you talking about the people that do not have it installed on their phones and then purchase a license? I know that it was installed on my N85 but I do not play games on phones, I have an Xbox, and a Wii for this (same with using a real camera instead of a cam phone as my main camera) if I need to play games.

P.S. You do not have to try to get numbers or do a search. I will take your word for it. My question was more general in nature.
post #243 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

When you say sign up, are you talking about the people that do not have it installed on their phones and then purchase a license? I know that it was installed on my N85 but I do not play games on phones, I have an Xbox, and a Wii for this (same with using a real camera instead of a cam phone as my main camera) if I need to play games.

That's the people that have registered to have it installed. The actual number who bought games is (as you indicate) much less.

C.
post #244 of 273
To tie a Symbian application to an IMEI requires a certificate, suppose you could make your own certificates.

Believe it or not "there's an App for that" (To borrow a phrase from Apple).

A quick Google search will find plenty of examples.

P.S. Make sure your antimalware software and your firewall is up to date as you are about to enter the dark world of mobile phone warez.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #245 of 273
Well, yesterday was the day that Apple reported its quarterly sales, I couldn't have responded with those numbers previous to that.

I'm disregarding the rest of your post, as it sends the conversation down a useless and unconstructive side line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

You waited 2 days to respond to this? Do you have some sort of alert when I post so that you can troll me down and post behind something that I post?
post #246 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

To tie a Symbian application to an IMEI requires a certificate, suppose you could make your own certificates.

Believe it or not "there's an App for that" (To borrow a phrase from Apple).

A quick Google search will find plenty of examples.

P.S. Make sure your antimalware software and your firewall is up to date as you are about to enter the dark world of mobile phone warez.

Do you meant to sign an application? That is not the same as changing an IMEI. I have signed apps myself so that I can install them. So your pirating argument still is not proven. Would you like to simply withdraw it?

Do you know of a firewall application for a mobile phone? Which malware are you talking about exactly? You seem to make general statements without providing much detail or facts.
post #247 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Do you meant to sign an application? That is not the same as changing an IMEI. I have signed apps myself so that I can install them. So your pirating argument still is not proven. Would you like to simply withdraw it?

Do you know of a firewall application for a mobile phone? Which malware are you talking about exactly? You seem to make general statements without providing much detail or facts.


Which applications are you talking about?

Garmin, Tom Tom, QuickOffice pretty much any software you want all crackable and pirated.

Quite a few Nokia users are happy to help each other out, I won't provide any direct links:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_x...views-2537.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-reviews-2177.php

Read through the posts it won't take long to find some sources.

I'm surprised you never mentioned the product codes which distinguish which part of the world a handset was sold in and what software its entitled to, but don't worry Google can point you to where you can change those too.

As far as the antimalware, firewall goes you'll need them on your PC if you want to use the tools to change an IMEI.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #248 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Which applications are you talking about?

Garmin, Tom Tom, QuickOffice pretty much any software you want all crackable and pirated.

Quite a few Nokia users are happy to help each other out, I won't provide any direct links:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_x...views-2537.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-reviews-2177.php

Read through the posts it won't take long to find some sources.

I'm surprised you never mentioned the product codes which distinguish which part of the world a handset was sold in and what software its entitled to, but don't worry Google can point you to where you can change those too.

As far as the antimalware, firewall goes you'll need them on your PC if you want to use the tools to change an IMEI.

Do you make completely unfounded assumption all the time? You assume I have a PC. You assume that I had no idea about product codes, or even the phone codes that allow you to access the phones directly, or that I do not know about GSM Arena, and the list goes on. Still you have not point out one piece of malware by name. Where is this going? Are you working on your post count or something? So far nothing of interest or importance has been said.
post #249 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

3. Here you are partially correct in your facts but the context is wrong. You and BT anything from one phone to another. You can't do jack with the iPhone in regards to BT. Why bother to have it really as it is severly crippled by Apple. I can not say about BT'g DRM music from the Nokia store but I know for sure I can BT any song I want from my phone to another. iPhone is a fail in this department and it has no A2DP. Another fail. As I am not a fan of gaming on phones in general unless it is something like Scrabble, or NYT Crossword, or similar, I could not really care less but N-Gage is not failing. They are doing okay and more and more titles are coming out for it.

Apple did say that they were opening up all the profiles of BT in ver. 3.0, so we'll see what happens there. It's tough making comparisons between services and OS's when things are changing so quickly.

We'll have to wait until the middle of June to see what the new OS can really do based upon feedback from developers and users.

Right now, we're in "holding mode".

It's hard to know what "failure" really means when the phone series sells in small numbers, but the manufacturer insists in keeping it around when they were claiming, at first, that it would be a major hit. Most people really didn't like it, and it got terrible reviews.
post #250 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Which applications are you talking about?

Garmin, Tom Tom, QuickOffice pretty much any software you want all crackable and pirated.

Quite a few Nokia users are happy to help each other out, I won't provide any direct links:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_x...views-2537.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n82-reviews-2177.php

Read through the posts it won't take long to find some sources.

I'm surprised you never mentioned the product codes which distinguish which part of the world a handset was sold in and what software its entitled to, but don't worry Google can point you to where you can change those too.

As far as the antimalware, firewall goes you'll need them on your PC if you want to use the tools to change an IMEI.

Yes, thanks for not providing those links, as we would have to remove them. But linking to pages that do provide those links is almost as bad.
post #251 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple did say that they were opening up all the profiles of BT in ver. 3.0, so we'll see what happens there. It's tough making comparisons between services and OS's when things are changing so quickly.

We'll have to wait until the middle of June to see what the new OS can really do based upon feedback from developers and users.

Right now, we're in "holding mode".

It's hard to know what "failure" really means when the phone series sells in small numbers, but the manufacturer insists in keeping it around when they were claiming, at first, that it would be a major hit. Most people really didn't like it, and it got terrible reviews.

Good point. I am in wait and see mode. I hope Apple opens it all up. This will propel Nokia to shit or get off the pot. I do suspect that they are betting quite a bit on the N97. Stores here in Finland are lining up to get them. Some stores are even adding them to their inventories but saying that they cost 999.90 but this number is a place holder.

This summer should be good. If I am back in NY, I will give you a holler and we can go for that drink.
post #252 of 273
Sounds as if I'm not invited....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

This summer should be good. If I am back in NY, I will give you a holler and we can go for that drink.
post #253 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Good point. I am in wait and see mode. I hope Apple opens it all up. This will propel Nokia to shit or get off the pot. I do suspect that they are betting quite a bit on the N97. Stores here in Finland are lining up to get them. Some stores are even adding them to their inventories but saying that they cost 999.90 but this number is a place holder.

This summer should be good. If I am back in NY, I will give you a holler and we can go for that drink.

Do that.
post #254 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Sounds as if I'm not invited....

You're invited as well.
post #255 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Do you make completely unfounded assumption all the time? You assume I have a PC. You assume that I had no idea about product codes, or even the phone codes that allow you to access the phones directly, or that I do not know about GSM Arena, and the list goes on. Still you have not point out one piece of malware by name. Where is this going? Are you working on your post count or something? So far nothing of interest or importance has been said.

How do you think sites that offer pirated software make money?

Now when you go to a site offering "free" software that should cost money from somewhere like the Ovi store to put things back on track, sites such as those suggested by some of the posters in that other forum as a good place to get "free" software, you run the risk of also getting more than you bargained for in the form of Trojans etc.

Now I'm talking about using a PC to do this then transferring files to the phone, otherwise things like bot nets wouldn't exist and there wouldn't be a spam problem, if certain people couldn't lure unsuspecting people with offers of "free" stuff, especially if you follow up on the more illegal aspects such as changing an IMEI.

Do we have to write a frigging legal disclaimer on every post?

Back to the point the Ovi store will fail because what Nokia will be selling will be available free elsewhere.

If Nokia try to protect their IP by locking down their products and handsets a lot of Symbiam users will not be very happy because they are used to getting things for free and it will be going against the supposed open nature of Symbian.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #256 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Back to the point the Ovi store will fail because what Nokia will be selling will be available free elsewhere.

If Nokia try to protect their IP by locking down their products and handsets a lot of Symbiam users will not be very happy because they are used to getting things for free and it will be going against the supposed open nature of Symbian.

You bring up an in interesting point.

A few years ago Jobs was asked why some features were not on their iPods. His answer was that once a feature was added, an easy thing to do, it was almost impossible to remove it.

That's why Apple is so careful in where they take their devices.

If it's true about what you say about Symbian and it's users, and I'm not that familiar with it, then that could be a problem.

If, for some reason they do decide to close the system for the reasons you give, and I'm not saying that they will have to, then users might revolt.
post #257 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You bring up an in interesting point.

A few years ago Jobs was asked why some features were not on their iPods. His answer was that once a feature was added, an easy thing to do, it was almost impossible to remove it.

That's why Apple is so careful in where they take their devices.

If it's true about what you say about Symbian and it's users, and I'm not that familiar with it, then that could be a problem.

If, for some reason they do decide to close the system for the reasons you give, and I'm not saying that they will have to, then users might revolt.

This is the thing that I do not buy about his argument. Many to most Symbian users pay for their software. Handango as well as a few other sites are doing brisk biz with thousands of titles. I could be wrong but I do not think the poster has used a Symbian device. Every single app I have on my phone is either paid for, free, or a beta from some developers that ask me to test it. Sorry but I just do not buy his arguments.

By the way, this just in: The Nokia CEO says that the Nokia 5800 has 20% of global touchscreen phone market.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/..._global_to.php
post #258 of 273
Now its being parsed down the the global touchscreen market. I guess you gotta' get it where you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

By the way, this just in: The Nokia CEO says that the Nokia 5800 has 20% of global touchscreen phone market.
post #259 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Now its being parsed down the the global touchscreen market. I guess you gotta' get it where you can.

Prove it wrong.....
post #260 of 273
Someone could say a particular phone holds 80% market for touchscreen phones with three hard buttons, 3.8 inch screens, and 18GB's of internal storage. Technically it may be correct, that doesn't make it necessarily an impressive statistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Prove it wrong.....
post #261 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Someone could say a particular phone holds 80% market for touchscreen phones with three hard buttons, 3.8 inch screens, and 18GB's of internal storage. Technically it may be correct, that doesn't make it necessarily an impressive statistic.

Careful now. Your fanatical fanboyism is showing. Your problem is that if it is not done by Apple then it gets no credit. I really find this kind of Appleista behavior sad, and it goes to prove what many say about Apple zealots. If Nokia has 20% of the market this must mean they have a product that appeals to people even more than the iPhone but in your closed myopic world, these very same people must have something wrong with them. Sad really.

Still waiting back on the ban issue that YOU raised. I notice how you conveniently skirt the issue, but guess what. Every post of mine that you answer I am going to ask you about it over and over and over.
post #262 of 273
I think you two are getting no where. Perhaps it's time to quietly stop the conversation.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #263 of 273
If Apple ever announced it held a certain percentage of the global touchscreen market, or a certain percentage of the global virtual keyboard market, or global NAND storage. I would still say the same thing. So far Apple has never said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Careful now. Your fanatical fanboyism is showing. Your problem is that if it is not done by Apple then it gets no credit.
post #264 of 273
I'm sticking to the relevant issue at hand. I'm not getting side tracked with personal diatribes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think you two are getting no where. Perhaps it's time to quietly stop the conversation.
post #265 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

This is the thing that I do not buy about his argument. Many to most Symbian users pay for their software. Handango as well as a few other sites are doing brisk biz with thousands of titles. I could be wrong but I do not think the poster has used a Symbian device. Every single app I have on my phone is either paid for, free, or a beta from some developers that ask me to test it. Sorry but I just do not buy his arguments.

By the way, this just in: The Nokia CEO says that the Nokia 5800 has 20% of global touchscreen phone market.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/..._global_to.php

I don't know if I buy the argument either, but if it was correct, then closing the system could prove to be a problem.

I also don't buy that percentage. It also contradicts their own 3 million statement. They would have had to sell somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million of them the first quarter. That's not even within the realm of possibility. If it were, those numbers would be all over the web in surveys, and it's not. 3 million seems much closer to the truth. I think his enthusiasm got the better of him.
post #266 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm sticking to the relevant issue at hand. I'm not getting side tracked with personal diatribes.

Really? No personal diatribes. How about you explaining my being banned that you claim to know about?

As your need to get the last word is pathological, I concede and will assume that you have no idea what you are talking about and I will move on from here.
post #267 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know if I buy the argument either, but if it was correct, then closing the system could prove to be a problem.

I also don't buy that percentage. It also contradicts their own 3 million statement. They would have had to sell somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 million of them the first quarter. That's not even within the realm of possibility. If it were, those numbers would be all over the web in surveys, and it's not. 3 million seems much closer to the truth. I think his enthusiasm got the better of him.

From my understanding Symbian will be open source which is what many in the developer community have been seeking as the licensing fees will be greatly reduced or go away completely. It should also bring down the cost of most if not all applications for Symbian. One thing I think Nokia should do is to pick a flavor of Symbian and stick with it. S60 seems to be the flavor of choice, so S40 should go away.

I have the Finnish article but have not bothered to translate it. I think, guess, his numbers could be a bit off. Even if it were 10%, this would still be great numbers for first time TS product from Nokia. I can not wait for the N97 to drop. This should be the real test as I think the 5900XM is the warm up act. We will see. Either way, I am pretty sure that I will get one as well as the new iPhone when it drops. I have two ears so I must need two phones.
post #268 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

I have two ears so I must need two phones.

I used to carry two phones until I discovered that I can hotswap the SIM with my iPhone 3G, now I carry 2 SIM's, a paperclip and my N82 sits at home.

The upcoming E75 looks more of a business phone, the screens a bit small.

btw do you know if theirs any reason the Symbian based phone's seem limited to 640x360 pixel screens, the 5800, N97 and Samsung Omnia HD all share that resolution, WinMo devices (Touch HD SE Experia )and the new LG Arena S class have 800x480 pixel screens.

I'm wondering if there's something inherent in Symbian which keeps it below VGA?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #269 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I used to carry two phones until I discovered that I can hotswap the SIM with my iPhone 3G, now I carry 2 SIM's, a paperclip and my N82 sits at home.

The upcoming E75 looks more of a business phone, the screens a bit small.

btw do you know if theirs any reason the Symbian based phone's seem limited to 640x360 pixel screens, the 5800, N97 and Samsung Omnia HD all share that resolution, WinMo devices (Touch HD SE Experia )and the new LG Arena S class have 800x480 pixel screens.

I'm wondering if there's something inherent in Symbian which keeps it below VGA?

Not that I know of. My friend, who works for a company developing for Nokia says that the new N.... Oppsss almost said something I should not have, has a larger screen.

I carry two phones because I work for the State Department and am on call 24/7. The E75 is a nice phnoe but the E71 is probably more mature in the software side. Many recommend the E75 only if you have not used an E71 because the shift from Feature pack 1 to Feature Pack 2 is not worth the jump. I can get and E75 but I am waiting for the N97.
post #270 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Not that I know of. My friend, who works for a company developing for Nokia says that the new N.... Oppsss almost said something I should not have, has a larger screen.

What, Nautilus?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #271 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What, Nautilus?

What's Nautilus other than the name of a submarine?
post #272 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

What's Nautilus other than the name of a submarine?


I sense a break with Symbian, how are your developer friends finding the move to Linux?


http://www.lifeatmost.com/smartphone...ning-linux-os/
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #273 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I sense a break with Symbian, how are your developer friends finding the move to Linux?


http://www.lifeatmost.com/smartphone...ning-linux-os/

Symbian will be around for a while. Developers are actually making money with, however Nokia has always been involved in Linux in some way or another. Can't really say much more but some interesting things should pop up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone found ready for enterprise, better than BlackBerry