or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest iPhone 3.0 multi-model and component supplier rumors

Latest iPhone 3.0 multi-model and component supplier rumors

post #1 of 47
Over the past 48 hours, a couple of new reports have come out of the Far East claiming to identify up to three new models of Apple's iPhone due this year and a list of component suppliers who'll play an integral role.

Multi-model rumors

While discoveries within betas of iPhone Software 3.0 have hinted that two new models are in the cards for a release around mid-year, a report published by the Chinese-laguage China Times on Monday claims Apple has placed orders for 4 million new iPhones that may span not two but three different models.

The order, which is reportedly due in Apple's hands by the end of June, would include an EDGE-only model, a new 3G model, and a model specifically tailored for the Chinese market, according to the repot. It added that an "iPhone nano" is not expected and that the new iPhone 3G would look similar to the current model.

Component supplier rumors

Separately, Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes on Tuesday published a list of what it believes will be some -- but obviously not all -- of the component suppliers that will be delivering parts to Apple to facilitate the launch of the next-generation iPhones.

In particular, it suggests Infineon will retain its seat as the handsets' GPS chip supplier while also reinforcing rumors that OmniVision will supply Apple with 3.2-megapixel CMOS image sensors, boosting the iPhone's embedded camera beyond 2-megapixels for the first time.

Other noteworthy design wins reportedly include TriQuint (WCDMA power amplifier), Skyworks (GSM EDGA power amplifier), Infineon (Baseband), CSR (Bluetooth), Infineon and NXP (Power management IC), TXC (SAW (surface acoustic wave) filter), Unimicron and Nanya (logic board), and Largan Precision (camera module).

DigiTimes adds that Apple's assembly suppliers will begin shipping new models to Apple in May, "with the first batch estimated to be around five million units."

The accuracy of both reports are unknown.

iPhone 3.0 topic pages

In an effort to help readers keep tabs on the wide range of iPhone 3.0 hardware rumors, we've begun archiving all such reports on an iPhone Hardware 3.0 (RSS) topics page. Meanwhile, iPhone 3.0 software related information can be found on the iPhone Software 3.0 (RSS) topics page. Of course, all iPhone-related information -- hardware or software -- will continue to show up on the parent iPhone (RSS) category page.
post #2 of 47
Still early I know, but I was hoping that the new iPhone would tempt me to upgrade from my current iPhone 3G, but as I will get the software update for free anyway and as I am not desperate for a better camera or more memory it looks like I might need to wait until 2010 for a reason to upgrade.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #3 of 47
I think that probably should be GSM EDGE.
post #4 of 47
I thought the GPS chip in the 3G turned out to be the Infineon Hammerhead, not a chip from Broadcom. That would mean the new model is staying with Infineon, and Broadcom is not losing a seat it didn't have.
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleck View Post

I thought the GPS chip in the 3G turned out to be the Infineon Hammerhead, not a chip from Broadcom. That would mean the new model is staying with Infineon, and Broadcom is not losing a seat it didn't have.

I'll double check on this shortly.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #6 of 47
Makes you wonder, then why can't they do CDMA as well, and really expand the market?
post #7 of 47
"Far East"? Really, AI?
post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Makes you wonder, then why can't they do CDMA as well, and really expand the market?

CDMA would really only expand there market in the US, but I doubt they could do that while under contract with AT&T. Most countries that are almost entirely CDMA-based tend to be poorer countries and not that populace, especially when you consider the number of people with smartphones. That really leaves only China, and it looks like Apple will not be teaming with China's huge CDMA carrier.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 47
Quote:

Well domestically in the US they can't because AT&T has got Apple by its seeds.
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

"Far East"? Really, AI?

What is wrong with that? I've check 3 dictionaries and not notes it as being archaic or pejorative or offensive.
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is wrong with that? I've check 3 dictionaries and not notes it as being archaic or pejorative or offensive.

If you had to check 3 sources to ascertain whether or not that is archaic, perjorative or offensive then that speaks volumes.
Asia is the preferable term - not Far East, unless your a member of British royalty 50 years ago.
post #12 of 47
Quote:

"Far East"? Really, AI?

Yeah, I fail to see what is wrong with this terminology used widely through the semiconductor and investment communities. We've used this terminology dozens of times and I've never had a complaint.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleck View Post

You're right. That report we had linked to from DigiTimes dated July 2008 was incorrect according to a later teardown:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...in_detail.html

Article update.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If you had to check 3 sources to ascertain whether or not that is archaic, perjorative or offensive then that speaks volumes.
Asia is the preferable term - not Far East, unless your a member of British royalty 50 years ago.

I did not take that post to mean that he had to search three different source *before* finding the supporting reference - but that he started checking references and after finding that that the first three in a row ALL supported the reference - that seemed sufficient research to stop looking for additional sources - as compiling say 12 independent sources might seem vindictive or malicious in some way.
post #15 of 47
Quote:

I had to check three terms to verify that what I know is correct is actually correct. As simple as it was to do, it is called research. Your posts would do well to attempt that once in awhile.

As for the term, To simply say Asia would also includes Russia, India, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan and about 50 others. Are you suggesting that Kasper write "The Oriental side of Asia"?

PS: Why am I replying to you, you are jsut trying to start an argument and derail the thread... again.
post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah, I fail to see what is wrong with this terminology used widely through the semiconductor and investment communities. We've used this terminology dozens of times and I've never had a complaint.

K

Far East sounds ok to me. I'm sure they call us Westerners.

I'd have a problem with Oriental chipmakers.
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I'd have a problem with Oriental chipmakers.

Me too, but we really shouldn't. The term oriental comes from the word orient. Since the sun rises in the East we would orient ourselves based on that constant, hence the term. It surprises me how the most mundane term can take on such a negative feeling over time.

Another one I find interesting is how the word harlot once meant a young man and now it means prostitute or promiscuous woman.

PS: AI would never write that, they'd write "the Orient-based chipmakers" to coincide with "the Cupertino-base iPhone maker."
post #18 of 47
Quote:

Me too, but we really shouldn't. The term oriental comes from the word orient. Since the sun rises in the East we would orient ourselves based on that constant, hence the term. It surprises me how the most mundane term can take on such a negative feeling over time.

Another one I find interesting is how the word harlot once meant a young man and now it means prostitute or promiscuous woman.

.....aaaaand getting back to the post...... I have to say I'm pretty excited about the rumors. This will be my first iPhone.

Rumors that interest me most:

Verizon
Camera changes
Magnetometer
Faster main processor
PA Semi contribution?
Storage sizes
Tiered data plans
Will it be THINNER?
China
post #19 of 47
Quote:

PS: AI would never write that, they'd write "the Orient-based chipmakers" to coincide with "the Cupertino-base iPhone maker."

Good one. But I have to admit I'd stick Cupertino in all my posts if there was a chance I'd get picked up by a wire service....
post #20 of 47
I'm hoping for 7.2Mbps support, OLED screen and 32Gb.

from

Sarcastic Western Imperialist
post #21 of 47
Quote:

"Far East"? Really, AI?

Indeed, why say Far East when all you mean is China? Is it elegant variation? Antique humor? Far East includes Japan and Korea, which weren't involved in this story.
post #22 of 47
Quote:

.....aaaaand getting back to the post...... I have to say I'm pretty excited about the rumors. This will be my first iPhone.

Rumors that interest me most:

Verizon
Camera changes
Magnetometer
Faster main processor
PA Semi contribution?
Storage sizes
Tiered data plans
Will it be THINNER?
China

Indeed...

I think Verizon is out unless a Chinese CDMA phone is in and then you might see some grey marketed to the US. But even then are the radios a match for 3G and I assume there willbe no WiFi.

Camera, magnetometer, CPU, and storage size all seem to be strong yeses. I think it's about time to know what PA Semi is adding to the mix. What has it been, abotu 1.5 years since the buyout?

I think that a 2nd iPhone with only EDGE is only needed if the current iPhone has reached its saturation point. I don't think it has, especially with so many HW and SW changes coming. If it were to come I don't think launching or announcing it next to the flagship iPhone makes sense. Wait until you get a lull in your product's sales to re-stimulate the market for those who didn't want the expensive version or the higher priced data plan. My guess is that there will be 2 version, a Chinese version and a rest of the world version.

I think it will be thinner. I don't think Jobs liked making the iPhone 3G technically thicker than the previous model, even though it has a lower overall volume. I wonder if those advanced new 01005 chips (half the size of the previous chips at 0201) that have there way into the new iPhone Video which will allow it to be a little smaller.
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

from

Sarcastic Western Imperialist

You're just Western. I'm in the FAR West. Or is that Hawaii ?
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I couldn't careless about 7.2Mbps if my carrier(s) aren't going to support any speeds on their end past 3.6Mbps. I would prefer Apple using lower power radios that have the same functionality as the previous ones, first.

An OLED screen would be great and I'd be willing to spend the premium on it to get it, but would the average consumer? What does a 3.5" OLED screen with 480x360 resolution cost these days?

32GB will probably be the high-end model. Those expecting 64GB are just being fanciful.
post #25 of 47
Quote:

There's nothing offensive about the phrase "Far East." However, there is something offensive about this poor grammar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The accuracy of both reports are unknown.

The accuracy of both reports is unknown.

The subject of the sentence is accuracy (not reports). Funny how no one notices grammar, anymore.
post #26 of 47
Quote:

if the current iPhone has reached its saturation point.

Less than two years in I'd say the saturation point is a LONG way off. Look at how long ago analysts were claiming that the iPod market was saturated. They were WAY off.

iPhone has a further plus regarding saturation. Think about how many people started two year contracts with other carriers when the iPhone first came out at over $500 !! Those people have seen the iPhone, liked it, wanted it, and have been waiting patiently ever since.

Those people can get a much better phone in June or July for a much smaller initial outlay. Additionally, people who started a two year contract BEFORE the initial iPhone came out could be off contract now - and waiting patiently for June-July. Others probably couldn't wait any longer and are kicking into Apple's current quarter.

I think we'll see a huge amount of demand for the new phones.
post #27 of 47
Quote:

I couldn't careless about 7.2Mbps if my carrier(s) aren't going to support any speeds on their end past 3.6Mbps. I would prefer Apple using lower power radios that have the same functionality as the previous ones, first.

Secoooooooooooooooonded

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #28 of 47
Quote:

Let's give it a rest people and stick to the relevant topic. It's this PC overkill mentality that has the world's panties in a knot. Keep it simple and stick to the subject at hand.
post #29 of 47
Any word on what Apple could be planning with PA Semi?
post #30 of 47
It's funny how the forums always light up before the release with discussions of features, but the real driver in terms of sales is always the cost.

I am more interested in the data plans and costs for this upcoming release than I am whether it has a big camera or not, because I know in truth, I will buy it anyway. It's only a few hundred dollars and the price of the plan (the main cost) is unlikely to go any higher than it already is so IMO anyone seriously geeked out about iPhone will probably upgrade.

The thing I think about the most lately is that if the "non pro" version of the new iPhone is faster or better than the current 3G version, there will be a ton of the old iPhone 3Gs for sale on eBay and CraigsList. Currently, my cell provider offers no way to use a second hand phone on their service, not do they provide for any "group" or family data plans so I cannot easily give my old iPhone to a family member. How "tiered" the plans are going to get, and how easy the providers are going to make it to re-use the old iPhones is going to be crucial to how many new units are sold.

The biggest barriers to iPhone adoption continue to be price, price, and price. Apple is addressing this with the split strategy, wherein a "pro" or higher capability model is created so as to shake loose some people's wallets, and the base model is made more efficient and pushed at a significantly lower price (at least that's what's expected). The other part of the cost equation though, is the carriers fees, and the only way to address that is by forced co-operation (contractual ties) or through competition.

We don't know what stage the exclusivity contract between Apple and AT&T is at, or what it contains, but if possible, the best strategy Apple has for lowering costs, is to make the "pro" model exclusive to their contractual partners and start making multiple versions of the base model for any cell company and any radio standard requested. Flooding the world with the base version while selling the pro version at a premium is the best strategy monetarily speaking.

Better and cheaper data plans, and more flexibility from the carriers will sell far more phones at this point than any new features will.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

Let's give it a rest people and stick to the relevant topic. It's this PC overkill mentality that has the world's panties in a knot. Keep it simple and stick to the subject at hand.

Agreed! Too many times all people want to do is bitch about the article and how its written. Lets talk about the topic, not how well it was written. Everyone knew damn well what Kasper meant when Far East was written. This isn't an english forum. Maybe we should create a separate section here on the forums so everyone can critique the articles posted here.

That being said, I'm wondering if Apple is kicking themselves for making AT&T its exclusive partner in the US? They could really expand themselves in the US if they were to release a CDMA phone. I know I would certainly use mine more than I currently do. I think Apple has 3yrs left on its contract with AT&T? What ever happened to this supposed lawsuit against Apple and AT&T about the exclusive agreement in the US?
post #32 of 47
Quote:

Less than two years in I'd say the saturation point is a LONG way off.

Yes indeed, and not only is saturation quite some way off, but we're also starting to approach the replacement cycle as first generation iPhones get to the end of their contract period. Upgrading is probably going to look like a pretty good option for those owners once their contracts can be reset.

Compare this to the iPod, where although there's heavy market saturation and no contract period, there does exist a replacement cycle due to damage, loss, newer/better models and so on.
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

That being said, I'm wondering if Apple is kicking themselves for making AT&T its exclusive partner in the US? They could really expand themselves in the US if they were to release a CDMA phone. I know I would certainly use mine more than I currently do. I think Apple has 3yrs left on its contract with AT&T? What ever happened to this supposed lawsuit against Apple and AT&T about the exclusive agreement in the US?

I don't think that they are. Apple's focus has never been about marketshare. They could have come out with 2 devices, one GSM- and the CDMA-based, that are sold in their stores, in carrier stores and elsewhere for a huge price, with the carriers offering their typical subsidy, but they didn't.

I think it's safe to say that Apple's long term plan isn't focused on immediate saturation of entire market. If they came out with such a device then there are things that the original iPhone would not have been able to do. For instance, visual voicemail would not have been possible, the $20 for unlimited data would not have occured. It may have even been higher than the $40-45 that was typical at that time considering how much data the iPhone uses over other phones.

Then there is Verizon. If they sold the iPhone in their stores they probably would have probably required the removal of apps like Maps and YouTube, Bluetooth and WiFi. And then perhaps charged monthly fees to get them included. So even if you bought a CDMA-based iPhone at an Apple Store you would have not gotten a subsidized price for it. (note that the original iPhone was not sold at full price as the profit sharing from AT&T allowed for a lower price to the consumer)

I don't think the consumer wins by having Verizon rip the OS apart and then charge you for features that were already included on the device. I know it sucks if AT&T doesn't service your areas well but I think the sales of the iPhone, the data usage, and popularity of the App Store prove that the choice Apple made was the right one for them. They aren't doing anything new or revolutionary in their basic parts, but they are doing something unique in the way that thy are dealing with carriers. I'm quite happy with AT&'T's service and very glad that Apple didn't make a phone like the other vendors then it through to the carriers to deal with.

There are millions of 2 year old iPhones that are getting the 3.0 firmware and the access to all the 3rd-party accessories that will open itself up to. Is there one other phone that has gone through such a rapid and/or extreme change of functionality since it's inception? I think this business model is best for the consumer and for Apple.
post #34 of 47
Quote:

But that's only in few countries.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

But that's only in few countries.

Japan, Korea, India, and Pakistan, for starters, have CDMA in high numbers. That's a potentially huge market.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Indeed, why say Far East when all you mean is China? Is it elegant variation? Antique humor? Far East includes Japan and Korea, which weren't involved in this story.

Maybe he typed it occidently.
post #37 of 47
Quote:

CDMA would really only expand there market in the US, but I doubt they could do that while under contract with AT&T. Most countries that are almost entirely CDMA-based tend to be poorer countries and not that populace, especially when you consider the number of people with smartphones. That really leaves only China, and it looks like Apple will not be teaming with China's huge CDMA carrier.

That makes sense. CDMA has a significant market share in the US and Korea. India, China, Japan (?) also have networks. However, the money is in global standardization of the device with GSM+EDGE+3G UMTS and variants with multiband coverage and WiFi.

I am surprised Apple chose to stick with Infineon. My opinion that the QCOM chipset has better power control. With WCDMA tech that is very important in extending battery life both for voice and data.

I suspect that the CPU in the new IPhone would need to be upgraded since the current one can barely keep up with data intensive operations.
post #38 of 47
Quote:

Think about how many people started two year contracts with other carriers when the iPhone first came out at over $500 !!

That would be me among them.

I'll be getting the new one as soon as it is released. It's been hard enough not trading my 1st gen for the 3G model.
post #39 of 47
I seriously doubt it. The Apple/AT&T partnership has been a success. The only other viable alternative is Veizon, which so far does not sell phones using the same business model as Apple would want with the iPhone.

The 5 year agreement between Apple and AT&T was only an unsubstantiated rumor. We don't know how long the exclusive agreement is. I'm sure AT&T wishes it were forever.

No one can sue Apple or AT&T for its agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Maybe he typed it occidently.

Orient you one great punster!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Latest iPhone 3.0 multi-model and component supplier rumors