or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011

AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011 - Page 2

post #41 of 148
No matter what happens, both Apple and ATT have said they will start offering unlocked (unsubsidized) phones soon (if not already).

So whether ATT and Apple "extend" their exclusivity, or not, whoever buys an unlocked phone will be able to pick their carrier of choice...

Most likely ATT is seeking some kind of deal that gives them exclusivity on subsidy rights possibly even on another (?) Apple wireless product...
post #42 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post

No matter what happens, both Apple and ATT have said they will start offering unlocked (unsubsidized) phones soon (if not already).

So whether ATT and Apple "extend" their exclusivity, or not, whoever buys an unlocked phone will be able to pick their carrier of choice...

Most likely ATT is seeking some kind of deal that gives them exclusivity on subsidy rights possibly even on another (?) Apple wireless product...

I recall that they were going to offer no contract phones, but I don't remember any mention of carrier unlocked phones.
post #43 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I recall that they were going to offer no contract phones, but I don't remember any mention of carrier unlocked phones.

Rumored to have started on 03.26.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #44 of 148
Quote:

That's right- No contract phones means - pick your carrier and insert whichever SIMM you please...Of course, if you choose that route, there is no subsidy and you pay the full (unsubsidized) price...

Also,

By law (contract) when original 2 year contract expires, ATT is obligated to supply customers with unlock code for all 1st gen iPhones...
post #45 of 148
Quote:

They shouldn't make a device for just one provider. I would really like to see a CDMA device. GSM is really throwing me off. A GSM phone will induce noise into my land line telephone, sound system, clock radio, headphones and hearing aids. It even induces noise into disconnected headphones. I get that GSM is the worldwide standard, but damn, it's irritating. I never had those issues with CDMA using the same towers.

Yeah, GSM is a "TDMA" technology, so you get that stutter noise when it's changing cells, or transmitting for any reason.

It's a pity we can't lock the iPhone into 3G mode though - since that uses WCDMA and removes that stutter effect entirely. It's only when it falls back to 2G (GSM) that it happens.
post #46 of 148
Quote:

That's right- No contract phones means - pick your carrier and insert whichever SIMM you please...Of course, if you choose that route, there is no subsidy and you pay the full (unsubsidized) price...

"No contract" means exactly what it says and nothing more. If you don't get a contract you obviously pay the unsubsidized price for the handset and are allowed to stop your service at any time without penalty, or not get cellular service at all. Unlocked means that it will work on other carriers. While unsubsidized phones are usually unlocked, especially when buying outside of the carrier, they are not interchangeable terms and have distant definitions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #47 of 148
While it might be nice to see the iPhone on all carriers - with the differences in the frequencies used and such it would mean Apple would have to build different devices or add components for both into every phone. It seems to me that waiting until there is a single standard for all carriers before building a device that is open to all carriers. Also - it makes perfect sense for Apple to partner with one carrier for the first few years as they build and improve their device - basically leveraging the single carrier to help get their new product off the ground much more quickly to begin - this also means they can ramp up production over time and take less risk. Imagine if Apple has built a $900 device that worked on all carriers right from the beginning - and then had supply or quality control issues and a year or two of back orders. Makes much more sense the way they did it - phase 1 is a single carrier in the US - get the device out there and production going - phase 2 update the device and roll it out to more countries - then when you are able to build 2 million units a quarter open it up further - or in this case use the proceeds from the 2G and 3G and 3G+ models to set the stage for a 4G roll out that is available in 60 countries on any carrier since by that time - if all goes well - the demand will be there to support a million sales a month
post #48 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"No contract" means exactly what it says and nothing more. If you don't get a contract you obviously pay the unsubsidized price for the handset and are allowed to stop your service at any time without penalty, or not get cellular service at all. Unlocked means that it will work on other carriers. While unsubsidized phones are usually unlocked, especially when buying outside of the carrier, they are not interchangeable terms and have distant definitions.

and ATT is obligated to unlock ALL 1st gen iPhones upon expiration of 2 year contract, that means there will be a flood of legally unlocked phones on the market for other carriers to pick up if owners so choose...(to supplement the no contract (unlocked phones) . The whole point of selling "No Contract phones" is that anyone can take these phones to any place in the world and pick their carrier. There's no way that these phones that sell at full price($699+) will be locked to ATT.
post #49 of 148
the only thing keeping me from getting an iphone is at&t. i had at&t several years ago and that experience would *NEVER* allow me from getting at&t again.

i've had macs sine 1989 but i will not compromise on this.
post #50 of 148
Quote:

and ATT is obligated to unlock ALL 1st gen iPhones upon expiration of 2 year contract, that means there will be a flood of legally unlocked phones on the market for other carriers to pick up if owners so choose...(to supplement the no contract (unlocked phones) . The whole point of selling "No Contract phones" is that anyone can take these phones to any place in the world and pick their carrier. There's no way that these phones that sell at full price($699+) will be locked to ATT.

You are saying that you can buy an unsubsidized iPhone 3G from AT&T, then wait 2 years until April 2011, so you can get it unlocked. I think you still aren't seeing the difference between unlocked and contract free. While it makes little to no sense to buy a contract free iPhone 3G to still have it locked, they are not one and the same.

BTW, can you post this law. The only law I am aware of does not force the carrier to unlock any phone at any time. The law makes it legal for anyone who owns a cellphone to unlock it or have it unlocked.

PS: I think you'll find that most people that wanted to unlock their iPhones have already done so. They either the simple, free software themselves or know someone who can do it for them. The only flood of original iPhones I expect to see are those who have waited until their 2 year AT&T contract is up before getting the latest iPhone come this summer.
post #51 of 148
Quote:

You are saying that you can buy an unsubsidized iPhone 3G from AT&T, then wait 2 years until April 2011, so you can get it unlocked. I think you still aren't seeing the difference between unlocked and contract free. While it makes little to no sense to buy a contract free iPhone 3G to still have it locked, they are not one and the same.

PS: I think you'll find that most people that wanted to unlock their iPhones have already done so. They either the simple, free software themselves or know someone who can do it for them. The only flood of original iPhones I expect to see are those who have waited until their 2 year AT&T contract is up before getting the latest iPhone come this summer.

You are wrong.

There are millions of 1st gen iPhone users who have not jailbroken (illegally) unlocked their iPhones because they want full functionality and data protection. That's Millions. Other Carriers are waiting in the wings to court them.

There are many iPhones purchased as gifts for people all over the world ( check your stats). Thats many more Millions. The unsubsidized phones will allow these owners the possibility of picking their carriers. If you want a subsidized iPhone ( $199+) you have to go with ATT.
If not , you can pay full pop and pick who you want. That way ATT gets a lock only for subsidizing and is the only carrier that has that option from Apple...

No one would pay full pop and be forced to be locked to ATT - Even by your own misinterpretation, why would someone want a contract that they can opt out of any time, if there is not an alternative carrier they can go to ???
post #52 of 148
It wouldn't be that hard to add AWS (T-Mobile USA 3G) to the iPhone... You know there was once only single band phones then they became dual, then tri, then finally quadband GSM. No reason why we can't move from triband to quadband UMTS.

While T-Mobile USA is the only one using this band currently, in the future you may see other carriers use that band across North & South America.

I'm sorry, but i'm sticking to T-Mobile. Their customer service has always been great, and I'm grandfathered in at some great prices.

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

post #53 of 148
Quote:

You are wrong.

There are millions of 1st gen iPhone users who have not jailbroken (illegally) unlocked their iPhones because they want full functionality and data protection. That's Millions. Other Carriers are waiting in the wings to court them.

There are many iPhones purchased as gifts for people all over the world ( check your stats). Thats many more Millions. The unsubsidized phones will allow these owners the possibility of picking their carriers. If you want a subsidized iPhone ( $199+) you have to go with ATT.
If not , you can pay full pop and pick who you want. That way ATT gets a lock only for subsidizing and is the only carrier that has that option from Apple...

No one would pay full pop and be locked to ATT - even by your own misinterpretation, why would someone want a contract that they can opt out of any time, if there is not alternative carrier they can go to ???

You seem to be getting stressed as this last post is either contradictory or just unfocused. I'll just ask you to post these links from AT&T that they are offering contract free iPhones that are also unlocked.

PS: With iPhones costing so much in other countries or simply not available in some GSM-based countries there are many foreign travelers that would gladly pay that contract free price so they can unlock it via the free software unlocks to use on their home network.
post #54 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

I'd love an iPhone not on AT&T. Their network sucks. Go to other carriers and I'll buy one.

Same here. AT&'s service for the iPhone is pretty underwhelming here in NYC. Everytime I talk to anyone with an iPhone here either the quality sucks, there is static, or the connection is lost. In a way it serves Apple right for making such "grab me by the balls" contracts with anyone.
What other cell phone or smart phone is only on one carrier? It's ridiculous.
post #55 of 148
No no no no no! Bad!
(Taps ATT and Apple with newspaper on the nose)

Keeping the iPhone (or ANY phone for that matter) tied to ATT (or other service) only reeks of greed by cell phone companies. They all do it. Things like this keep competition at bay in terms of service, where people go where the hardware is, not nessisarily the service, thus promoting a lack of push when it comes to service quality. As long as ATT and iPhone are locked in bed together, no sale from me.

As if the iPhone wasn't locked down enough as it is... I guess somethings don't change when they make money. Think Different.... Please Apple, think different.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #56 of 148
Quote:

You seem to be getting stressed as this last post is either contradictory or just unfocused. I'll just ask you to post these links from AT&T that they are offering contract free iPhones that are also unlocked.

PS: With iPhones costing so much in other countries or simply not available in some GSM-based countries there are many foreign travelers that would gladly pay that contract free price so they can unlock it via the free software unlocks to use on their home network.

So now you're a psychologist in addition to a legal expert?

Stressed? Hardly...Do your own research, I have no time to spoon feed you information that you feel so qualified to dispute interpret or chew on. The statistics and facts have been all over the news for months and actually since iPhone day 1.

Do some real research Doc.
post #57 of 148
Quote:

The non-stockholder part of me hopes that Apple doesn't make a CDMA phone for China Unicom. When they do these forums will be filled with all sorts of new posters whining "why isn't Apple releasing it here".

If that's a whine then count me in. Once again what you post is both pompous and preposterous. Who with a Verizon contract here then would not want the same phone released in the US? You would be a fool and an idiot to not want a Verizon CDMA version if one is released in another country.
post #58 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What other cell phone or smart phone is only on one carrier?

Don't troll! You 've been on this site long enough to know perfectly well that vendor/carrier exclusivity is commonplace in the US.

Only a few of the examples of handsets that had, have exclusivity with carriers, for those that actually might not know...
  • Moto Razr
  • HTC Android
  • Samsung Instinct
  • Blackberry Storm
  • Palm Pre
post #59 of 148
Quote:

You think, ATT is welcoming jailbreakers I don't believe that.

There's still an advantage to take no-commitment iPhone and choose ATT plan you like. Say, I'd like to take only data plan and some humble per-call voice plan. Because my 120+120 voice minutes are far too long for me, I just don't speak that much, however, I surf a lot and always get the warning "your speed may be decreased".

Though, it is almost the same in France... We unlock phones legally - though, with all possible obstacles from carriers - after 6 months.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #60 of 148
Quote:

You don't have to like it, but it normal business to have exclusive deals and it's completely legal. What is unusual is that handset is so successful that the carrier wants to extend the deal even longer despite the cost it incurs for maintaining this partnership. Though as the article stated, since there is no other viable non-MVNO carrier in the US that can handle Apple's GSM/UMTS-phone that is pretty universal in most major cell countries.

1.) Ok- what other cell or smart is only available on one carrier? Link please.
2.) If the iPhone can only be "handled" by AT&T it most surely could be modified- again like every other phone out there. I then have to assume that you're stating that iPhone is not able to be modified to other networks. Link please.
post #61 of 148
Quote:

Don't troll! You 've been on this site long enough to know perfectly well that vendor/carrier exclusivity is commonplace in the US.

Only a few of the examples of handsets that had, have exclusivity with carriers, for those that actually might not know...
  • Moto Razr
  • HTC Android
  • Samsung Instinct
  • Blackberry Storm
  • Palm Pre

Trolling? Who- you? Don't flatter yourself!
Stop posting misinformation!!
Wrong again. Where's the carrier? Pre will be at Verizon this fall. Razr is all over the place.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
post #62 of 148
Quote:

So now you're a psychologist in addition to a legal expert?

Stressed? Hardly...Do your own research, I have no time to spoon feed you information that you feel so qualified to dispute interpret or chew on. The statistics and facts have been all over the news for months and actually since iPhone day 1.

Do some real research Doc.

You posted things about legal requirements of carriers and that "contract free" equals "unlocked". SInce I differ with my proof is a dictionary for the latter and one of the exemptions of the DMCA for the former. You state these with absolution things that counteract other laws and common sense so it up to you to prove it. If what you say is true then it should take you no more than a minute to Google the appropriate sites.

Quote:

You would be a fool and an idiot to not want a Verizon CDMA version if one is released in another country.

Why would you want a CDMA-based iPhone in the US that has no EV-DO and no WiFi? If you weren't paying attention, China has some issues, to put it lightly, with Wi-Fi being in the iPhone and 3G looks uncertain if they go with China's major CDMA-based carrier.
post #63 of 148
Quote:

Why would you want a CDMA-based iPhone in the US that has no EV-DO and no WiFi? If you weren't paying attention, China has some issues, to put it lightly, with Wi-Fi being in the iPhone and 3G looks uncertain if they go with China's major CDMA-based carrier.

Because AT&T sucks and Verizon has superior reception perhaps?
Talk about not paying attention.
post #64 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

You think, ATT is welcoming jailbreakers I don't believe that.

How do you get AT&T welcomes jailbreakers from "foreign travelers are willing to pay contract free price in US as it's cheaper for them"? This was huge with the first iPhone and AT&T made it tough to get the device through them without a contract. At Apple stores it was easier, but I think they started to only accept purchases from those with US driver licenses/ID cards.

Quote:

Stop posting misinformation!!
Wrong again. Where's the carrier? Pre will be at Verizon this fall. Razr is all over the place.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

It would be nice if you realized that there is more than one tree in a forest.

The Pre will be EXCLUSIVE to Sprint when it launches.
The Razr was EXCLUSIVE to, I believe, Cingular.
The T-Mobile G1 is still EXCLUSIVE to T-Mobile.
The Blackberry Storm is still EXCLUSIVE to Verizon.
The Samsung Instinct is still EXCLUSIVE to Verizon.

To think that exclusivity doesn't exist, hasn't existed, or is somehow an Apple-invented phenomenon that should be made illegal only within Apple's case is just asinine.
post #65 of 148
[QUOTE=solipsism;1403141]
Quote:
It would be nice if you realized that there is more than one tree in a forest.

The Pre will be EXCLUSIVE to Sprint when it launches.
The Razr was EXCLUSIVE to, I believe, Cingular.
The T-Mobile G1 is still EXCLUSIVE to T-Mobile.
The Blackberry Storm is still EXCLUSIVE to Verizon.
The Samsung Instinct is still EXCLUSIVE to Verizon.

To think that exclusivity doesn't exist, hasn't existed, or is somehow an Apple-invented phenomenon that should be made illegal only within Apple's case is just asinine.

No- you are.
We are talking about after 2 years EXCLUSIVITY!
One phone/one manufacturer/ one carrier/2 years and counting.
WHO ELSE?
WHO?????

Blackberry make more than one phone.
Sammsung makes more than one phone.
T-Mobile is T-Mobile.
Your logic is illogical.

I never mentioned anthing about legality ever- one way or the other.
post #66 of 148
Quote:

Because AT&T sucks and Verizon has superior reception perhaps?
Talk about not paying attention.

Coming full circle, you will whine if a Chinese CDMA-based iPhone will require to pay extra to ship to the states via a grey market costing you more while getting you less HW features than the GSM-based version.

Quote:

We are talking about after 3years EXCLUSIVITY!

In typical Teckstudian form you put a qualifier on it long after the thread is going and you'll claim that that is what you meant all along. No one has done 3 years, but no one has the business model that Apple has and no one else has had the success with a single model device on a single carrier like Apple has had. What other cell vendor is giving away extreme OS updates going past the 2nd year of the device's existence? Who, who, who? BTW, we are talking about a model of a phone. Apple is new to the game and this is Apple, so to expect them to come out with 20 slightly different models to suit everyone's needs is silly, but not as silly as thinking that Apple can just drop AT&T willy nilly or that Verizon will allow any and all fucntions of the IPhones as is.
post #67 of 148
[QUOTE=solipsism;1403145]
Quote:
Coming full circle, you will whine if a Chinese CDMA-based iPhone will require to pay extra to ship to the states via a grey market costing you more while getting you less HW features than the GSM-based version.

??? I wouldn't want a Chinese iPhone- I don't read Mandarin or Cantonese.

Quote:
In typical Texkstudian form you put a qualifier on it long after the thread is going and you'll claim that that is what you meant all along. No one has done 3 years, but no one has the business model that Apple has and no one else has had the success with a single model device on a single carrier like Apple has had. What other cell vendor is giving away extreme OS updates going past the 2nd year of the device's existence? Who, who, who

What are you talking about?
That's the whole title of this thread- 2011!
Can't you read/ comprehend?

You're the one twisting it around by stating "exclusive at launch"! Who's even discussing that?
post #68 of 148
Quote:

1.) Ok- what other cell or smart is only available on one carrier? Link please.

http://vodafone.com.au/personal/blac...storm/faqs.htm

btw this model is the 9500 it differs from Verizon's 9530 in that it doesn't have the CDMA2000 1x EV-DO radio.

btw, I have an iPhone from Vodafone Australia, it cost nothing to unlock it, officially I can use any SIM I want in it and do so quite regularly, I also have no problems with updates.

My reception is excellent in most areas I go with virtually no dropped calls.

The 850 band should improve things for some of you AT&T customers.

It must suck to be American, land of the free* (*to be assraped by corporations).
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #69 of 148
when AT&T is not exclusive with Apple?

AT&T sells other smartphones. Why shouldn't Apple distribute its iPhones through other service providers?

There is no technical reason why people can't use iPhones on other networks. There is only a locking scheme that shackles iPhone users to their network exclusively.

If AT&T rolled out a data network exclusively for iPhones, I can understand why they might deserve a long-term monopoly on selling them. But their network works with many types of phones they sell, so they really have no valid claim to hold iPhone users hostage forever.
post #70 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

There is no technical reason why people can't use iPhones on other networks. There is only a locking scheme that shackles iPhone users to their network exclusively.

Aside from the fact that AT&T has the only network fully compatible with iPhone hardware.
post #71 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

http://vodafone.com.au/personal/blac...storm/faqs.htm

btw this model is the 9500 it differs from Verizon's 9530 in that it doesn't have the CDMA2000 1x EV-DO radio.

It must suck to be American, land of the free* (*to be assraped by corporations).

Thanks- and that's the whole point- modified versions of brand name phones are continually being made for other carriers except iPhone.
AT&T has some very shrewd lawyers apparently.
post #72 of 148
This would surprise me, as Steve and company are a smart bunch of people, and to put all their iphones in one basket, doesn't any longer make any sense.

Between adding / switching carriers and adding China to the list of folks selling the iPhone as a stockholder - I'll be smiling all the way to the bank.

But just because I'm saying this, Steve and company will stay with AT&T

Skip
post #73 of 148
Seeing that the latest rumours point to at least 2 different iPhone models coming, I think Apple will compromise. Apple will open up the basic iPhone to any carrier with a compatible network, but AT&T will continue to be the exclusive carrier for the high-end iPhone Pro. In exchange, AT&T could offer Apple deeply discounted data plans to complement a potential Apple Netbook/Tablet.

It's probably in Apple's best interest to try to maintain as much exclusivity and control as possible even if it limits the potential market somewhat in order to avoid the iPhone becoming a commodity phone. It certainly gives Apple more negotiating power to get carriers to adopt features that Apple wants.
post #74 of 148
[QUOTE=solipsism;1403135]You posted things about legal requirements of carriers and that "contract free" equals "unlocked". SInce I differ with my proof is a dictionary for the latter and one of the exemptions of the DMCA for the former. You state these with absolution things that counteract other laws and common sense so it up to you to prove it. If what you say is true then it should take you no more than a minute to Google the appropriate sites.

Talk about confusion and loss of focus...

Ever read: Is Google Making Us Stupid? - The Atlantic (July/August 2008) ?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google
post #75 of 148
Quote:

How do you get AT&T welcomes jailbreakers from "foreign travelers are willing to pay contract free price in US as it's cheaper for them"?

And then what are they gonna do with the device being locked to ATT? Isn't jailbreaking the only solution for them at the moment they leave States? Or will ATT unlock SIMs officially and legally, as we thought from the beginning?

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #76 of 148
I think his point is that phones sold in other western nations use the same radios so their is no need to use different technologies. While here in the US our carriers use difference technology to lock you into their service. In that sense Verizon is he odd man out.

The Apple/AT&T deal has nothing to do with lawyers, it has to do with loyalty. AT&T took a chance and agreed to carry the phone under Apple's stipulations having never actually seen it.

Quote:

Thanks- and that's the whole point- modified versions of brand name phones are continually being made for other carriers except iPhone.
AT&T has some very shrewd lawyers apparently.
post #77 of 148
[QUOTE=breeze;1403184]
Quote:

You posted things about legal requirements of carriers and that "contract free" equals "unlocked". SInce I differ with my proof is a dictionary for the latter and one of the exemptions of the DMCA for the former. You state these with absolution things that counteract other laws and common sense so it up to you to prove it. If what you say is true then it should take you no more than a minute to Google the appropriate sites.

Talk about confusion and loss of focus...

Ever read: Is Google Making Us Stupid? - The Atlantic (July/August 2008) ?

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

It is probably time to just admit you are wrong. Contract free and Unlocked are not the same. The iPhone will be sold contract free but still locked to AT&T unless unlocked by outside means by the user.
post #78 of 148
[QUOTE=anmarkle;1403214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmarkle1403184

It is probably time to just admit you are wrong. Contract free and Unlocked are not the same. The iPhone will be sold contract free but still locked to AT&T unless unlocked by outside means by the user.

If I thought I was wrong, I'd gladly concede, it's not that important to me to be right. We'll find out real soon.

Relate purely to the fact that there is bound to be a legitimate huge secondary market when ATT according to it's contractual obligation to each and every ATT 2 year contract holder, has to and is obligated (by the contract) to unlock all 1st gen iPhones...

Relate to the fact that it behooves Apple to open the ATT activation bottleneck which makes it impossible to purchase iPhones as gifts without imposing ATT as a carrier.

Relate to why on earth Apple and ATT would offer a $699+ phone contract free if it did not behold the ability to be carrier choice ( ie: unlocked) ....
post #79 of 148
Based on chip orders and the "NON-DISCLOSURE" contract floating around... The two iPhones they are making... CDMA and GSM.

FYI: The current 3G iPhone is a Quad-Band phone, IE it will work on T-Mobile and Sprint. In fact I stuck my Net10 sim card in one and for a second it showed service (although that may not be related). Bash me for being Net10 but $80 a month, unlimited and no tax which 5 bar service anywhere, anytime... Can't beat it for a PHONE.

We'll see, like I've said before, iPhones available from Apple that are unlocked and available for either system this summer. Too many people that are close to this I know are all saying the same thing.

ATT contract is up, there talking but it's just that-Talk.

What's not being talked about though is the possibility of Apple, Inc. Cell-Service. Their own packaged deal. Something like Unlimited iPhone, $179/mo - Free iPhone and free iPhone upgrades every 2 years. Wanna talk about Exodus from ATT! Yeah, yeah, pipe dream. The only problem I could see with this, security at the malls. But even buying out everyone's ATT contract they would load up some 5mil subscribers in months and roll the rest up later. Do this while still offering an iPhone for other carriers at full price.

Market-Cornered.
post #80 of 148
(Thanks for following up on this story 4 hours after I posted the first thread about it, AI... )

At any rate, one can only hope Apple takes a pro-consumer stance and at minimum decides to go forth with other unique phones for competing carriers. This way, they could extend the iPhone/at&t exclusive for another year, and offer newer specialized phone products that take advantage of the other networks.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011