or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno

Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno

post #1 of 115
Apple as early as this week could announce the release of Mac OS X 10.5.7, a seventh maintenance and security update to its Leopard operating system scheduled to deliver over a 100 minor tweaks and bug fixes.

After providing developers with weekly betas of the software for nearly two months, the Mac maker in recent days cranked up the frequency of the pre-release distributions, which is more often than not a telltale sign of an imminent release.

In particular, developers on Friday received Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J47, which arrived just four days after build 9J44. Late Tuesday evening developers were informed that build 9J50 was available for download, again coming just four days after the previous distribution.

People familiar with the beta test say the former build added three code-corrections to a laundry list of bug fixes, including a fix for Ethernet performance on Mac Pro systems and a correction to Mac OS X's handling of login item preferences. Meanwhile, the latter build arriving less than 24 hours ago reportedly addresses a single issue involving Bluetooth personal area networks.

Now in its seventh week of widespread testing, Mac OS X 10.5.7 includes 108 documented code corrections and is expected to arrive as an approximately 443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7. A separate distribution capable of updating earlier versions of the Leopard OS reportedly weighs in around 730 megabytes.

Further evidencing an imminent release are claims from some Apple Store customers who say Apple recently bumped up their orders for iMacs equipped with ATI's Radeon HD 4850 graphics card for shipment this week. At least one of these customers was led to believe his order was previously being held up due to the graphics card's requirement of 10.5.7, though that much is up for debate. Alternatively, Apple could include the necessary software drivers in a custom milestone of 10.5.6.

Nevertheless, it was revealed early in the beta test process that Mac OS X 10.5.7 would deliver a broad range of syncing improvements. It was later reported that the release, internally code-named Juno, would also include an updated speech dictionary.

In total, the update is expected to address issues with over 20 core system components including AirPort, graphics, iCal, iDisk Syncing, Mail, MobileMe syncing, networking, parental controls, printing, Safari, screen sharing, sound, and Time Machine. It should also improve compatibility with certain USB and Flash drives.
post #2 of 115
Bring it on! I am always happy to update the most stable desktop OS I have ever used
post #3 of 115
Why does this one have a code name? Do point releases usually have one?
post #4 of 115
I REALLY REALLY hope that they fixed that very annoying SMB permissions bug. There are posts all over the place about it. Share as SMB, create file or folder from windows, all seems okay. Try to access from local Mac, no dice as you can't access the file. Try again from the windows machine, forget about it. You have to Sudo Chmod the folder from the terminal to get it working again. FAIL!

This is something that should have been fixed in 10.5.1... but nope.

"Works with Windows" Right now, that's just false advertising. FIX IT!

(Can you tell I'm irate on this problem? And don't go telling me its a windows error... because it isn't. Look around for SMB issues on line and you'll find a good number of issues, most of which come and go as they please.)

In posting about this a long time ago in the Apple responder app thingy, nothing changed. Ugh.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #5 of 115
Guys, am I right to suspect a typo?

"443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7"

shouldn't that be "443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.6"?

B
post #6 of 115
Hope they did some serious work on Safari (4 beta). I had to stop using it, it was crashing so much. Lots of hangs and just not responding.
On a positive note, the new Firefox is awesome, no problems at all. Seems to work with all the sites Safari has problems with, and the new update has made it just as fast, if not faster.
post #7 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by berw6 View Post

Guys, am I right to suspect a typo?

"443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7"

shouldn't that be "443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.6"?

B

Wow, there is a 5 character requirement for messages. It would not let me say, YES for the response.
post #8 of 115
I hope they fixed the GMA3100 drivers for last generation macbooks. OpenGL simply sucks with crashes, kernel panics and whatnot, when using certain 3D apps.
post #9 of 115
Don't know what to say, rain, but I've been using Safari 4 beta since day one and haven't had one crash or hang. So whose track record is to be believed here? Of course, I don't load up any of my three browsers with add-ons and plug-ins, the source of almost all such conflicts.

And--no--Firefox is NOT as fast as Safari 4 beta in my tests. So, again, I guess our experience and opinions must agree to disagree.
post #10 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow, there is a 5 character requirement for messages. It would not let me say, YES for the response.

No?
post #11 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Don't know what to say, rain, but I've been using Safari 4 beta since day one and haven't had one crash or hang. So whose track record is to be believed here? Of course, I don't load up any of my three browsers with add-ons and plug-ins, the source of almost all such conflicts.

And--no--Firefox is NOT as fast as Safari 4 beta in my tests. So, again, I guess our experience and opinions must agree to disagree.

I've seen safari 4 beta hang a bit myself on a few computers, but it is rare. Though when it happens, it can last up to 10 seconds and be incredibly annoying.
But overall, safari 4 beta rocks... and I cant wait until it comes out of beta
post #12 of 115
We long-time, rural-based Apple fans are a bit discouraged by the dramatic increase in update sizes. Many of us still have relatively slow DSL or satellite links, and worse yet, they have very restrictive limits. Our typical account in this area has a 2GB up/down limit/month, with 128k speed. Overage is $30/GB. I'd hazard a guess that there are more than a few of us who are cringing at this update size. We're to the point where one of us downloads a combo update then shares with everyone. It's more than a little time-wasting. I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...
post #13 of 115
I really hope this fixes the unibody MBP screenshot freezing issue. It's driving me bonkers.
post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why does this one have a code name? Do point releases usually have one?

I would suspect that the vast majority of them do - but that not many of them become public knowledge. I would think having a code name is the easiest way for everyone to keep track of who is working on what and what projects need to come in before a deadline - without giving any info away to those who do not need it and to help keep secrets hidden better in regards to projects currently in the works but which will not be released for many months or even years - also leaves them the option of changing the official shipping name pretty late in the game if that becomes necessary for any reason. for example - if 10.5.7 does not ship - or if we jump straight to 10.6 they can say that the code name Juno was never meant to be pegged to a given point release (hmm but then I just changed my answer and the code name is not the same as a version) point is that any development group may come up with their own internal code name even if the company at large does not recognize the code name - as it is easier (and perhaps cooler) in conversation to talk about working on the latest Juno build instead of hey how's 10.5.7 build xj9 coming along?

Maybe Juno is shorthand for June or July - as in hey when will the next OS update be ready to ship - I dunno, June or July - or even I REALLY don't know June or..... which then get's shortened to Juno.
post #15 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzbr View Post

I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...

but.... what? You're all for bug fixes as long as they don't go over a certain size? Thats hilarious.
post #16 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Indeed.
post #17 of 115
Quote:

We long-time, rural-based Apple fans are a bit discouraged by the dramatic increase in update sizes. Many of us still have relatively slow DSL or satellite links, and worse yet, they have very restrictive limits. Our typical account in this area has a 2GB up/down limit/month, with 128k speed. Overage is $30/GB. I'd hazard a guess that there are more than a few of us who are cringing at this update size. We're to the point where one of us downloads a combo update then shares with everyone. It's more than a little time-wasting. I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...

could you not go to a library or other public place with higher download speed - and or get someone to burn it to a CD or put in on a USB stick for you?
post #18 of 115
Maybe this is the last update to Leopard? That's why they are packing everything into it.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #19 of 115
Juno, eh? We're pregnant with anticipation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That was on TV last night, ironic much?
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #21 of 115
Quote:

Is it that bad in US? In Sweden we get 60DL/20-10UL for 45 dollar per month without any limits.
post #22 of 115
Quote:

I think Apple wouldn't mind sending you the update on a CD or DVD as long as you pay shipping.
post #23 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Maybe this is the last update to Leopard? That's why they are packing everything into it.

I think we will see at least one more.

It looks as though 10.6 won't be out until the end of the summer, possibly in September. That's a lot of time.
post #24 of 115
There's even a network related Kernel Panic that can occur in Mac OS X 10.5.6 — my collegue got it today when waiting for a folder containing several thousand items to be listed. This was on a server volume shared via AFP.

This has also happened on a retouscher's Mac Pro
The good news is there seems to be some fixes for ”Networking” and ”AFP” in 10.5.7.
post #25 of 115
I received my iMac with ATI's Radeon HD 4850 yesterday and its works fine on 10.5.6.
post #26 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I REALLY REALLY hope that they fixed that very annoying SMB permissions bug. There are posts all over the place about it. Share as SMB, create file or folder from windows, all seems okay. Try to access from local Mac, no dice as you can't access the file. Try again from the windows machine, forget about it. You have to Sudo Chmod the folder from the terminal to get it working again. FAIL!

Does anyone really know what causes the problem? It seems that it times out eventually and the file becomes accessible from the Mac. Also only certain file types are affected. For example if you open a .mdb file on Windows and save it and then close Access, the file still gives a permission denied error when you try to copy it to the Mac. But if you zip the file it copies without issue. Furthermore the original .mdb file will eventually be free of permissions issues on its own after some period of time, which leads me to believe that Windows is not purging the file busy tag right away at least not in a way that the Mac can understand.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

firefox 3.1 b3 is faster
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
post #28 of 115
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNly View Post

That was on TV last night, ironic much?

Or maybe some mythological explaination: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_(mythology))
post #29 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I expect 10.5.8 will be the last Leopard release and will probably be released within a month of Snow Leopard. That's what happened with 10.4.11.
Mac user since August 1983.
Mac user since August 1983.
post #30 of 115
There has to be a new Safari 4 beta on the horizon. Apple is not going to release 10.5.7 and not allow the users to install the Safari beta.

I hope there is a new Safari beta around the corner to improve some of its wonkiness - like the find/search function (command - F).
post #31 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I expect 10.5.8 will be the last Leopard release and will probably be released within a month of Snow Leopard. That's what happened with 10.4.11.

I don't think so. Snow Leopard probably won't be released until August or September after giving developers a feature-complete version at WWDC. I think there will be a 10.5.9 at least that will be release right around Snow Leopard (ie. week or two before or after).

I also hope that Apple continues significant upgrades to Leopard (significant like the first few dot updates of Leopard feature-wise; not significant like 10.4 -> 10.5) for us PPC users after Snow Leopard is released.
post #32 of 115
On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out. I do not have any bookmarks. I can also type wikipedia and Safari is smart enough to add .org! If I do that with Firefox, most up to date beta, I end up with a search results page. So, Safari is faster for me. Also, my Internet is not very fast and I have to agree with those who wonder why Apple Updates are so huge. Someone told me once, Apple could send out DVDs with the updates on them. Is that true?
post #33 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out. I do not have any bookmarks. I can also type wikipedia and Safari is smart enough to add .org! If I do that with Firefox, most up to date beta, I end up with a search results page.

That is not true at all for the current release version of firefox, I can't see them changing it in the beta. Both safari and firefox will auto-complete if you leave out the .com or .org. The only time firefox will send you to the google page is if it can't select one specific site based on your input. If you do the same with safari, you get an error page. I've entered entire sentences into the address field in firefox and it has taken me to the site I wanted without going to a google search page. I love the new safari, but the auto-complete on firefox is far superior.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

On the plus side for Safari, I can type whatever I want into the address line without using .com and Safari figures it out.... Also, my Internet is not very fast and I have to agree with those who wonder why Apple Updates are so huge. Someone told me once, Apple could send out DVDs with the updates on them. Is that true?

Safari has done that for quite a while.

I want Safari's snap-back feature back. It's such a great thing and very overlooked!

It's worth the extra wait to download the Combo Updater.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
post #35 of 115
@ Rain,

hmmm... I can tell you it must not be wide spread, as all my machines are Safari 4... no hangs and it ROCKS. However, I have had it on occasion, have it crash. Not frequent, maybe twice, and I use it daily with 20-50 tabs open at any time.
post #36 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

This is something that should have been fixed in 10.5.1... but nope.

"Works with Windows" Right now, that's just false advertising. FIX IT!

(Can you tell I'm irate on this problem? And don't go telling me its a windows error... because it isn't. Look around for SMB issues on line and you'll find a good number of issues, most of which come and go as they please.)

In posting about this a long time ago in the Apple responder app thingy, nothing changed. Ugh.

hmmmm... I don't have such SMB file sharing problems...I have generally found that my Macs work better and more productively in a Windows networking environment then guest or even native windows machines!
post #37 of 115
Quote:

classy!
post #38 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I hope there is a new Safari beta around the corner to improve some of its wonkiness - like the find/search function (command - F).

What is wrong with the find/search function?
It works ok for me
Addicted to a Mac since the Mac Plus
Addicted to a Mac since the Mac Plus
post #39 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

@ Rain,

hmmm... I can tell you it must not be wide spread, as all my machines are Safari 4... no hangs and it ROCKS. However, I have had it on occasion, have it crash. Not frequent, maybe twice, and I use it daily with 20-50 tabs open at any time.

It rocked for me too, for about a month with only a few hiccups, then a few weeks ago I started to get hangs, "Safari not responding" etc... usually when I'm multitasking.
Sometimes it works great for a bit, then hangs on simple sites. Firefox on the other hand has no problems, and the current new beta is instant browsing, much like Safari. The new FF update just came out a few days ago, so give it a whirl.
The only plug i have running is Flip4mac.

Oh, a site that Safari has problems with is KCRW.com, when streaming their audio. Also, anyone else notice that when you click on a menubar bookmark drop-down and leave it for a few seconds, it cuts audio out.
I'm not saying Safari is a bad beta, but it's not as strong as the FF beta yet.
post #40 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Bring it on! I am always happy to update the most stable desktop OS I have ever used

You're confused. This update is for OS X 10.5, not OS 8.6.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno