or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › SlingPlayer for iPhone may be facing opposition from AT&T

SlingPlayer for iPhone may be facing opposition from AT&T - Page 3

post #81 of 87
So what if AT&T is bringing its own media service, there's nothing malicious about that. That does not mean AT&T is blocking other media services from the phone. Seeing as their are already media services on the iPhone, there is no reason to believe that AT&T has any reason to block SlingBox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Being conspiring or not, AT&T have openly said, they launch their media service for iPhone this summer.
post #82 of 87
Apple and AT&T already ended the revenue sharing. The iPhone 3G is subsidized unlike the original iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Thanks for adding the details. What I was getting at is that perhaps since it is unlikely that this model is in place for other providers, AT&T might be seeking to alter or end it before agreeing to allow SlingPlayer on their network. It is very likely that the data agreements don't stop paying Apple that subsidy at the two year mark. I would bet that AT&T wants to end this revenue sharing before absorbing the cost of providing network services for apps such as this. I can't prove it. I'm pretty much playing a game of "one of these things is not like the other," and I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't belong.
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

So what if AT&T is bringing its own media service, there's nothing malicious about that. That does not mean AT&T is blocking other media services from the phone. Seeing as their are already media services on the iPhone, there is no reason to believe that AT&T has any reason to block SlingBox.

So you disagree with what Solipsism said Time will tell.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #84 of 87
No, there is no disagreement. He's saying AT&T isn't likely to allow Sling to use it's network, which only means Sling would be WiFi only like the other media apps.

Quote:

post #85 of 87
Quote:

Quote:

No, there is no disagreement. He's saying AT&T isn't likely to allow Sling to use it's network, which only means Sling would be WiFi only like the other media apps.

There is no disagreement, we are talking different aspects of the issue.

Even if AT&T doesn't release an app for the iPhone I still don't think they would allow SlingBox to run on their network, especially with the new iPhone and v3.0 coming out. This differs from other apps like YouTube in that the YouTube will server-side adjust the quality (id est, the amount of data being transmitted) based on the bandwidth you have. On top of that, the videos are often very short. You can watch full episodes of TV shows but mostly in multiple segments that have to be loaded independently.

This varies from SlingBox in that you can connect to your device at home and stream your content in real time or time shifted from a DVR endlessly. You can max out the bandwidth if the app doesn't auto adjust for you. I can see this as a concern for AT&T even if it is one that may not, in actuality. affect their network much. After all, how many people are going to have new SlingBoxes and stream TV constantly? Also, is there a legal issue involved with streaming copyrighted material from the TV?

As for Apple's issue, I know the content holders had an issue with TiVo, cold they hold Apple culpable for sanctioning the streaming of their content over their phones? I know other phones have such apps, but are those apps sold through the handset's app store or externally?

None of these may the reasons, and we've already read that the rumor of being denied is false, it just hasn't been approved, so we really don't know what the real reasons are, but again, if I were an AT&T exec I wouldn't allow SlingBox to run over my network if I was trying to boost my current, stunted performance in preparation for another iPhone that indicates another big boost in network usage. WiFi would be fine.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Thanks for adding the details. What I was getting at is that perhaps since it is unlikely that this model is in place for other providers, AT&T might be seeking to alter or end it before agreeing to allow SlingPlayer on their network. It is very likely that the data agreements don't stop paying Apple that subsidy at the two year mark. I would bet that AT&T wants to end this revenue sharing before absorbing the cost of providing network services for apps such as this. I can't prove it. I'm pretty much playing a game of "one of these things is not like the other," and I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't belong.

As TenoBell said, they stopped the revenue sharing. The rumors were that AT&T didn't want to stop it. I think they realized that not paying a vendor a large lump sum up front, before the money was made a little over each month for two years, was a good thing. Then there are those that default on their contracts. The vendor gets his money and the carrier is out. I'm sure with the revenue sharing that if the carrier wasn't getting paid, in other words they failed to keep their iPhone working, that Apple wouldn't get paid either.

I really wished it had worked and other had adopted it because this would push handset manufacturers to include more viable updates with their handsets. No more is the focus to get you into a new phone as soon as you sell you one. If they are making money each month from the carrier for you using their device then they would focus more on trying to keep you on that device. I think its better for the consumer, but either way I think it will happen anyway now that Apple is offering v3.0 for free to original iPhone owners. That is going into the 3rd year of use for that phone.
post #87 of 87
OK, you lost me completely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is no disagreement I still don't think they would allow SlingBox to run on their network

Quote:

Sling would be WiFi only like the other media apps.

What network do you mean? AT&T's cable network? AT&T's phone land lines?

I always talked about wireless 3G network. And about ATT's application and service accessible over 3G (and possibly, but not necessarily, over WiFi).
Sling's application's called "SlingPlayer" and it's pointless to speak about ATT's embargo on SlingBox (device).

I do not know what exactly is going in States, but here, in Europe, I've never seen numerous "TV boxes" having worked over 3G networks of cellular carriers Don't think it's different over there.

Ok, suppose you're both talking about Sling using ATT's land lines (as they all - French "Free", for instance - usually do here: everyone uses France Telecom's lines):

Quote:

I still don't think they would allow

Ex3
Quote:

Sling would be WiFi

ATT would hardly block using TV boxes over WiFi.

Quote:

This varies from SlingBox in that you can connect to your device at home and stream your content in real time

Over 3G??? Hardly so. WiFi, I repeat, doesn't concern ATT.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › SlingPlayer for iPhone may be facing opposition from AT&T