or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Implications of th Secession of Texas

Implications of th Secession of Texas - Page 3

post #81 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Nobody here is advocating violent secession. But I think we agree that if there is violence involved, it will be initiated by a federal government unwilling to allow the secession.

See how clever jazz is being here. The act of secession is perfectly cool. But if violence is involved it's all the federal government's fault. Not Texas fault for, you know, FUCKING SECEDING!

You guys crack me up with your hypocritical bullshit.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #82 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

You can't secede from the union without violence. Period. There is no "free" secession from any union without push-back.

This is an issue of probability but not absolute logical certainty. In other words, it is probable that violence will be involved, but it need not be so for certain. The choice would be in the hands of the federal government.

Quote:

What form do you think the U.S. government would use against a state going rogue?

I think, like jimmac suggested, it would begin as a blockade on land, water and air (no-fly zone).
post #83 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

That's not to mention that they might experiment with lower tax and regulatory burdens to attract businesses away from the U.S.

You know it's funny. Way back I mentioned that I was glad to take advantage of some tax benefits from shooting a movie in Georgia. And a bunch of conservatives on this board jumped down my throat for promoting "corporate welfare" and how that was bullshit.

Now, I suspect that the reason they jumped down my throat was because it was for a "movie" production. And you know what that means? Hollywood. And fuck Hollywood, right.

But I'm glad to see that you support welfare for corporations.
post #84 of 146
Quote:

See how clever jazz is being here. The act of secession is perfectly cool. But if violence is involved it's all the federal government's fault. Not Texas fault for, you know, FUCKING SECEDING!

Exactly.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #85 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So quite simply are you in favor of sucession?

Because I believe people have a right to disassociate from a higher political and governing authority. Furthermore, I believe they have a duty to do so if they believe that authority has become morally corrupt and tyrannical.
post #86 of 146
Quote:

This is an issue of probability but not absolute logical certainty. In other words, it is probable that violence will be involved, but it need not be so for certain. The choice would be in the hands of the federal government.

I think, like jimmac suggested, it would begin as a blockade on land, water and air (no-fly zone).

Begin and end there. But I don't even think this is a real probability for the reasons already discussed.
post #87 of 146
Quote:

Because I believe people have a right to disassociate from a higher political and governing authority. Furthermore, I believe they have a duty to do so if they believe that authority has become morally corrupt and tyrannical.

In other words in this instance specifically " Yes " right?
post #88 of 146
Quote:

You seem to be blind to the fallacy in your thinking. Let's go back to the "club" example.

You are in a club of some kind. I am leading that club. You decide (as you naturally would since I'm leading it) that you no longer wish to be part of the club. Maybe I have acted badly toward you. Maybe I have broken some agreement that bound us together in this club. You say, "I'm out." I say "No you're not!" You say "Bye." I pull out my gun and shoot you.

Who's responsible for the violence?
post #89 of 146
Quote:

I agree that the federal government's hatred of freedom ...

So you're equating the United States government with terrorists? Nice. Very telling about what kind of an American you really are.
post #90 of 146
Quote:

In other words " Yes " right?

Yes. Sorry, I misread your question as asking me why I was in favor of it. My apologies.
post #91 of 146
Quote:

But I'm glad to see that you support welfare for corporations.

No I don't. I support lower taxation for everyone.
post #92 of 146
Quote:

You seem to be blind to the fallacy in your thinking. Let's go back to the "club" example.

You are in a club of some kind. I am leading that club. You decide (as you naturally would since I'm leading it) that you no longer wish to be part of the club. Maybe I have acted badly toward you. Maybe I have broken some agreement that bound us together in this club. You say, "I'm out." I say "No you're not!" You say "Bye." I pull out my gun and shoot you.

Who's responsible for the violence?

Bad microcosmic analogy. Millions of people vs a few for one thing. In this club they'd simply revoke you benifits of being a member.

What would happen is you'd still insist on your benifits, get vilolent about it, then the police would come and arrest you. Shoot you if you resisted.
post #93 of 146
Quote:

Bad microcosmic analogy. Millions of people vs a few for one thing. In this club they'd simply revoke you benifits of being a member.

what would happen is you'd insist on your benifits, get vilolent about it, then the police would come and arrest you. Shoot you if you resisted.

Are you going to answer his question?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #94 of 146
Quote:

So you're equating the United States government with terrorists? Nice. Very telling about what kind of an American you really are.

Yes, for some of its actions certainly. Yes it does.
post #95 of 146
Quote:

So you're basically admitting that your secession theory takes place in a vacuum. Because "reality" certainly doesn't play into it very well. However, you do kinda admit that a violent push back the U.S. government would be required for any state that decides to go rogue and become anti-American.

And we don't like Anti-Americanism in this country, do we? You can't get more Anti-American than saying "Screw you we're outta here."

I love how you're cool with your party tearing the country apart simply because you're mad at AIG an BofA.
post #96 of 146
Quote:

Are you going to answer his question?

But in my logical extension of this bad analogy I think I have. In that senerio who pulled the gun first?
post #97 of 146
Quote:

WOW!

And this wasn't happening during the Bush years right?

Just checking.
post #98 of 146
Quote:

So you're basically admitting that your secession theory takes place in a vacuum.

No.

Quote:

However, you do kinda admit that a violent push back the U.S. government would be required for any state that decides to go rogue and become anti-American.

No.

Quote:

I love how you're cool with your party...

What party is that?
post #99 of 146
Quote:

First, I think a fairly convincing argument can be made that the federal government has abandoned the rule of law.

Second, I don't see anyone suggestion "shoot first", but I do imagine any state that chose to peacefully seceded would be shot at and would have the right to defend themselves (with arms if necessary).

Quote:
First, I think a fairly convincing argument can be made that the federal government has abandoned the rule of law.

You must be talking about the last administration?

Quote:
but I do imagine any state that chose to peacefully seceded would be shot [i]at[/i

But you just agreed it would probably start with a blockade?
post #100 of 146
Quote:

And this wasn't happening during the Bush years right?

I never said it wasn't.
post #101 of 146
Quote:

No I don't. I support lower taxation for everyone.

So how do you pay for everything? Voluntary "donations"?

Back in the day when we didn't have taxes we didn't build prisons and insane asylums and hospitals and clean water and garbage pickup and sanitation and street lights and roads and side-walks and parks and stuff we truly take for granted today.

But oh well. Good luck with that.
post #102 of 146
Quote:

You must be talking about the last administration.

I didn't see any mention of a specific administration. Did you?

post #103 of 146
Quote:

You must be talking about the last administration.

Yes. And the current one as well.
post #104 of 146
Quote:

Wow. You're country could've really used your help during the last eight years. Where were you?
post #105 of 146
Quote:

Back in the day when we didn't have taxes we didn't build prisons and insane asylums and hospitals and clean water and garbage pickup and sanitation and street lights and roads and side-walks and parks and stuff we truly take for granted today.

Utterly false.

post #106 of 146
Quote:

I didn't see any mention of a specific administration. Did you?

No. It was a question I posed. That's ok isn't it?
post #107 of 146
Quote:

Utterly false.

The general infrastructure and sanitation of the United States is superior in every single way thanks to public works projects in every city, country and states of this union PAID FOR BY TAXES.
post #108 of 146
Quote:

Utterly false.

This is where I always had a problem with the Libertarians when I was one back in the 70's.

Their explainations always fell a little short on how this would be accomplished without taxes.
post #109 of 146
Quote:

No. It was a question I posed. That's ok isn't it?

It was a question after you edited it to be so. Originally it was a statement.

Sorry for my apparent misunderstanding.

post #110 of 146
Quote:

It was a question after you edited it to be so. Originally it was a statement.

Sorry for my apparent misunderstanding.

I added a question mark. I think you understood.
post #111 of 146
Quote:

The general infrastructure and sanitation of the United States is superior in every single way thanks to public works projects in every city, country and states of this union PAID FOR BY TAXES.

Quote:

This is where I always had a problem with the Libertarians when I was one back in the 70's.

Their explainations always fell a little short on how this would be accomplished without taxes.

I was referring to his untrue statement that before taxes we had none of the things he mentioned.

post #112 of 146
Quote:

I was referring to his untrue statement that before taxes we had none of the things he mentioned.

I never said "none".
post #113 of 146
It's mind-boggling to think of the repercussions of a state (like Texas) seceeding.

What would happen to all the U.S. military installations? Would they be handed over to the state, or systematically dismantled/destroyed and removed?

What about military personnel who are residents of the state that is seceeding? Would they be allowed to leave the U.S. military and join the defence force of the seceeding state?

post #114 of 146
Quote:

It's mind-boggling to think of the repercussions of a state (like Texas) seceeding.

What would happen to all the U.S. military installations? Would they be handed over to the state, or systematically dismantled/destroyed and removed?

What about military personnel who are residents of the state that is seceeding? Would they be allowed to leave the U.S. military and join the defence force of the seceeding state?

Removed. They're the property of the U.S. government. Not Texas.
post #115 of 146
Quote:

Removed. They're the property of the U.S. government. Not Texas.

But see, this is the logic of extremist paranoids - they see the US as an occupying force.

Not that their own ideas are derailed by selfishness and fear and delusions of radical individualism -

Paranoia is so comforting, especially when it has such an obvious enemy and is grounded in an objective and easy hatred and fear.
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #116 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflam View Post

But see, this is the logic of extremist paranoids - they see the US as an occupying force.

Not that their own ideas are derailed by selfishness and fear and delusions of radical individualism -

Paranoia is so comforting, especially when it has such an obvious enemy and is grounded in an objective and easy hatred and fear.

Yes I know. We've had 8 long years of that and some still don't get it.
post #117 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflam View Post

What must be comforting to you is to dismiss those you disagree with as paranoid, hateful, extremist, selfish, delusional and fearful. At least I hope it's comforting for you, because it doesn't do anything to further your argument (whatever that may be). One thing's for sure is that it likely prevents you from actually examining and thinking about what they say, so it's easier as well.
post #118 of 146
Quote:

Wow. You're country could've really used your help during the last eight years. Where were you?

Posting under a different name spewing nutty ideas.
post #119 of 146
Quote:

What must be comforting to you is to dismiss those you disagree with as paranoid, hateful, extremist, selfish, delusional and fearful. At least I hope it's comforting for you, because it doesn't do anything to further your argument (whatever that may be). One thing's for sure is that it likely prevents you from actually examining and thinking about what they say, so it's easier as well.

Well if sounds like, looks like, smells like..........

Or if the shoe fits.........
post #120 of 146
Quote:

Nothing says "I'm a patriotic American" than threatening to leave America, right? Maybe we can divert federal dollars going to Texas and Georgia and give them to loyal Americans.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Implications of th Secession of Texas