or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study - Page 3

post #81 of 112
Posting the same thing in multiple forums is in violation of the guidelines, just so you know.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #82 of 112
I switched to a mac a couple of years ago and I've been happy as a clam ever since.
I had not touched a PC until a couple of weeks ago when a co-worker asked me to help her
with a new hp laptop she just bought.(needed a driver installed) It was my first experience with
vista and I hope it was my last. Installing the driver was easy but I played around in the OS a little
bit and it gave me a headache. When I got home I felt like hugging my mac for some wierd reason. \
post #83 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

That's ridiculous. Apple had Chinese (and Japanese Kanji) handwriting recognition technology in 1995. As far as I know, they own that technology. All they need to do is update it for OS X.

Well, that's the point. They did not go forward with it since porting it from the Newton. I really don't know about other languages since my only concern (and the other poster concern) is about English handwriting recognition. I believe no one can argue that MS has one of the best handwriting recognition and Apple is so far behind in this area right now and the main reason they are behind is because they Apple don't offer a tablet type Mac. Check this video out.
post #84 of 112
Interesting that this article is next to one about iMacs freezing. I have vista installed on my iMac and would running mac has just as many issues as vista. I would put the satisfaction rating down to people generaly just wanting to believe that paying the extra money for a mac was worth it and will be more accepting when things go wrong.
post #85 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Interesting that this article is next to one about iMacs freezing. I have vista installed on my iMac and would running mac has just as many issues as vista. I would put the satisfaction rating down to people generaly just wanting to believe that paying the extra money for a mac was worth it and will be more accepting when things go wrong.

Why are you even fucking around with an iMac? You've never had a single good word for Apple since you've started posting here, and are usually at some pains to remind us that Macs and Apple are no better, and typically worse, than Windows and MS.

So, why are you even fucking around with an iMac?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by monosound View Post

It would be nice to see a customer survey only for say OS X server and Windows Server users/customers. and see the result.

Unless you are a .NET developer, OS X server blows doors on Windows as a web server. Pre-installed: Apache 2.x, PHP 5.x, My SQL 5.0, Subversion 1.4--you get a full LAMP stack plus Subversion. All the stability and open source goodness of Linux with killer GUI. The only way you would know the differences is if you have worked with all of them. OS X Server is the shiznit. But most people don't know about it because of a) the price tag (*nix users) and b) the their comfort zone (MS users). But really, OS X server is the best of both worlds if you can afford it (BTW, it the unlimited version is cheaper than Windows unlimited version....but--ha, ha, ha, ha--no where nearly as cheap as Ubuntu server ) For the record: I have a Windows 2003 production web server, a Leopard OS X server in-house, and a vm Ubuntu server.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

Reply

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

Reply
post #87 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Interesting that this article is next to one about iMacs freezing. I have vista installed on my iMac and would running mac has just as many issues as vista. I would put the satisfaction rating down to people generaly just wanting to believe that paying the extra money for a mac was worth it and will be more accepting when things go wrong.

Dude, donate your iMac to charity(and take the tax write-off) and buy a PC for christsake. Dell, Sony, IBM, Acer, or whomever wants you back. You are a champion of their products.

Or just admit that you are a paid blogger for Microsoft.

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

Reply

27" iMac 2.93GHz | 17" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz | Mac Mini Server 2.5Ghz
16GB iPhone 4S | 16GB iPad (1st gen) | AppleTV
www.heavyimages.com

Reply
post #88 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Why are you even fucking around with an iMac? You've never had a single good word for Apple since you've started posting here, and are usually at some pains to remind us that Macs and Apple are no better, and typically worse, than Windows and MS.

So, why are you even fucking around with an iMac?

Talk about feeling threatened! Calm down dear, it's only a computer. There's no need to feel so personally threatened when someone says something bad about a Mac
post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Talk about feeling threatened! Calm down dear, it's only a computer. There's no need to feel so personally threatened when someone says something bad about a Mac

In what sense is wondering why someone who doesn't really like Macs would be posting on an Apple site suggest that I'm feeling "personally threatened"?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #90 of 112
xxxxx
post #91 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In what sense is wondering why someone who doesn't really like Macs would be posting on an Apple site suggest that I'm feeling "personally threatened"?

It's a free world, they are entitled to post in this forum if they want. But blowing your top over it just makes it look like they hit a nerve with you, which really isn't a good image to get yourself.
post #92 of 112
As they say you get what you pay for, Apple is beating these PC companies by wide margins. You buy cheap crap you get an overall bad experience. I wonder how Lauren's HP laptop is treating her.
post #93 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'll admit to knowing very little about it, but all I do know is as soon as the Mac appeared in the house, networking was a huge hassle which it previously hadn't been when it was another Vista PC in its place - it certainly didn't just work! Regardless of where the fault lies, it still gave the Mac a bad first impression - Apple should make it so that it does 'just work' with Windows PCs.

My brother had the same issue when my father moved into his house with his PowerMac G4 that I had bought for him! My brother had plugged it in and tried to configure it before trying it and for several months he could not get it to work correctly! When I went for a visit I reinstalled my fathers OS X Leopard and did not touch *anything* and it all just worked!
My brother in his windows-bread infinite wisdom did not even try the computer when he originally hooked it up and assumed he had to "configure it!" Had he not f*uck'd with it in the first place, it would have just worked as advertised. But being a Windows person he made the mistake that he would have to configure it by hand and in doing so (screwing with the network and sharing settings) he screwed up the configuration before he had a chance to see if it worked!

When he moved his net to wireless he just added a mac compatible USB wireless adapter, input the network password and he was up and running! of course I was on the phone to hold his hand "just in case".

KRR
post #94 of 112
All we did on the Mac was tick to allow the connected printer to be shared over the network. It would appear on the network, but whenever someone tried to print from the networks computers, they always got an 'access denied' message. The Mac would simply not allow any other PC access to the printer even though we had told it to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

My brother had the same issue when my father moved into his house with his PowerMac G4 that I had bought for him! My brother had plugged it in and tried to configure it before trying it and for several months he could not get it to work correctly! When I went for a visit I reinstalled my fathers OS X Leopard and did not touch *anything* and it all just worked!
My brother in his windows-bread infinite wisdom did not even try the computer when he originally hooked it up and assumed he had to "configure it!" Had he not f*uck'd with it in the first place, it would have just worked as advertised. But being a Windows person he made the mistake that he would have to configure it by hand and in doing so (screwing with the network and sharing settings) he screwed up the configuration before he had a chance to see if it worked!

When he moved his net to wireless he just added a mac compatible USB wireless adapter, input the network password and he was up and running! of course I was on the phone to hold his hand "just in case".

KRR
post #95 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I am aware that Forrester did the study, but who proposed it? Who paid for the study?
Apple had nothing to do with the study? How do you know this for a fact? Link?

Where you born yesterday? Do you need to know the source of a study that tells you the Earth is not flat?

I have been using many computers since the late 70s and I don't need anybody's study to tell me that OSX and Macs are way above the PeeCees when it comes to user satisfaction. Also, I just don't understand what it is about people who MUST use the absolutely cheapest computer on the planet even if they use it all day long for a living. Do these people walk to work barefoot because shoes are more expensive? Do they drive 10 year-old Yugos? They don't have indoor plumbing because it is seen as a tax on the stupid? They would never consider living in an apartment with fewer than eight people as anything else would be a waste of money?

I certainly cannot afford the finest cars, the finest watches, condos, etc., but one thing that makes me productive and successful is a computer that runs 99.9% of the time without anybody's help and is a joy to use compared to the PCs and Windows Mobiles (yuk!) I also have to use from time to time. The original sticker price has little to do with the real cost of operating a computer over a period of time. I simply cannot afford to run the cheapest computer on the market. I also have no interest in the cheapest shoes, cars, clothes, etc. on the market either.
post #96 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Where you born yesterday? Do you need to know the source of a study that tells you the Earth is not flat?

I have been using many computers since the late 70s and I don't need anybody's study to tell me that OSX and Macs are way above the PeeCees when it comes to user satisfaction. Also, I just don't understand what it is about people who MUST use the absolutely cheapest computer on the planet even if they use it all day long for a living. Do these people walk to work barefoot because shoes are more expensive? Do they drive 10 year-old Yugos? They don't have indoor plumbing because it is seen as a tax on the stupid? They would never consider living in an apartment with fewer than eight people as anything else would be a waste of money?

I certainly cannot afford the finest cars, the finest watches, condos, etc., but one thing that makes me productive and successful is a computer that runs 99.9% of the time without anybody's help and is a joy to use compared to the PCs and Windows Mobiles (yuk!) I also have to use from time to time. The original sticker price has little to do with the real cost of operating a computer over a period of time. I simply cannot afford to run the cheapest computer on the market. I also have no interest in the cheapest shoes, cars, clothes, etc. on the market either.

That's probably because 99.9% of the time those PCs work without any problems either. If you've experience more downtime than this, you are by far and away in the minority, and a long way from what is normal.
post #97 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutskcetisallort View Post

I switched to a mac a couple of years ago and I've been happy as a clam ever since.
I had not touched a PC until a couple of weeks ago when a co-worker asked me to help her
with a new hp laptop she just bought.(needed a driver installed) It was my first experience with
vista and I hope it was my last. Installing the driver was easy but I played around in the OS a little
bit and it gave me a headache. When I got home I felt like hugging my mac for some wierd reason. \

For me, switching to mac for home use was around the MacIntel and it was a hack (until then, the G5's were under powered and trumped for audio use (FPU) by Intel/AMD), and I remember using a windows laptop.

I was in bed and got a blue screen of death, or BSOD, and remember thinking at the time, WOW, I forgot about this and it's almost daily occurrence and having to reboot all the time.

To be fair though, I still have my share of spinning beach balls and while I know it's not the best thing, the key commands OPTION, COMMAND and ESCAPE (Force Quit), are my best friends. I simply don't have your typical Mac user patience.
post #98 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan View Post

My brother had the same issue when my father moved into his house with his PowerMac G4 that I had bought for him! My brother had plugged it in and tried to configure it before trying it and for several months he could not get it to work correctly! When I went for a visit I reinstalled my fathers OS X Leopard and did not touch *anything* and it all just worked!
My brother in his windows-bread infinite wisdom did not even try the computer when he originally hooked it up and assumed he had to "configure it!" Had he not f*uck'd with it in the first place, it would have just worked as advertised. But being a Windows person he made the mistake that he would have to configure it by hand and in doing so (screwing with the network and sharing settings) he screwed up the configuration before he had a chance to see if it worked!

When he moved his net to wireless he just added a mac compatible USB wireless adapter, input the network password and he was up and running! of course I was on the phone to hold his hand "just in case".

KRR

This is true but also says a lot about the average user. Most won
t have any problems whereas tweakers and those who constantly upgrade parts are always the ones with problems and 9 times out of 10, will have a computer case open somewhere in the house.

The average user be it Mac or Windows, just uses the machine.
post #99 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavex View Post

Well said, I'm tired of all the articles I've seen lately that seems to just be amplifying the Mac VS PC debate. Look it Apple scored an 80 so obviously there are people who didnt like it as much and I know people who dont like Macs at all for very legitimate reasons, they dont like change and they are use to Windows and you cant say thats a wrong way to reason because its their personal choice.

I personally will never recommend Mac to anyone because of their cocky nature.

Ill end with this, Apple HAS to make their software good with their hardware, they have no choice because if the software wasnt flawless with the hardware they have NO excuse! Windows has an excuse, they are developing an OS for virtually unlimited configurations of hardware!

As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.

I condensed your post for greater readability:

ZOMG AAPL QFE WTF OTFC!!1!


If you plan on finishing that computer science degree, you're going to have to learn very picky programming languages, and your inability to grasp the basic syntax of modern English is concerning.

I think it's time to make an appointment with your academic advisor.


P.S. I also hope you never work for Apple.
post #100 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

For me, switching to mac for home use was around the MacIntel and it was a hack (until then, the G5's were under powered and trumped for audio use (FPU) by Intel/AMD), and I remember using a windows laptop.

I was in bed and got a blue screen of death, or BSOD, and remember thinking at the time, WOW, I forgot about this and it's almost daily occurrence and having to reboot all the time.

To be fair though, I still have my share of spinning beach balls and while I know it's not the best thing, the key commands OPTION, COMMAND and ESCAPE (Force Quit), are my best friends. I simply don't have your typical Mac user patience.

When I booted up my co-workers laptop it seemed as though it took 3x longer then it takes
me to boot up my mac mini. Also, vista just seems so cluttered and busy. I can see why pc users
revert back to XP. I've also had my fair share of force quit in leopard but my old Hp laptop froze
more times than I would like to remember, I guess what I'm trying to say is my mac is much less problematc than the pc's I've had in the past. It's been two years and I have nver had to call
cutomer service, I've never been able to say that about my past PC's
post #101 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by shavex View Post


As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.



Oh, that was funny.
post #102 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

Unless you are a .NET developer, OS X server blows doors on Windows as a web server. Pre-installed: Apache 2.x, PHP 5.x, My SQL 5.0, Subversion 1.4--you get a full LAMP stack plus Subversion. All the stability and open source goodness of Linux with killer GUI. The only way you would know the differences is if you have worked with all of them. OS X Server is the shiznit. But most people don't know about it because of a) the price tag (*nix users) and b) the their comfort zone (MS users). But really, OS X server is the best of both worlds if you can afford it (BTW, it the unlimited version is cheaper than Windows unlimited version....but--ha, ha, ha, ha--no where nearly as cheap as Ubuntu server ) For the record: I have a Windows 2003 production web server, a Leopard OS X server in-house, and a vm Ubuntu server.

As a web server both Apache and IIS are competent enough that they are secondary in consideration to...well...pretty much everything else unless you're an ASP shop. Both are (or at least can be) secure. Both work out of the box well. Both support complex app stacks (ASP, JSP, etc).

The devil is in the details in how everything fits in your shop and what your requirements are.

OSX Server has the problem of not supporting big iron (like Solaris) because Apple doesn't make any, not as good AD/Exchange/Etc integration support as Windows Server and is more expensive and hardware limited than Linux.

For onses and twoses I'd look at OSX server. Or if I was supporting a mac shop.

But otherwise I'd put VMWare on my boxes and run whatever server OSes as needed. Which doesn't include OSX server for obvious reasons because it won't run on VMWare and xserves aren't supported.
post #103 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would never get an iPod because of its upbeat, insouciant manner. I prefer my MP3 players to have a slightly brooding quality.

And must be brown to match my suit.
post #104 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

As they say you get what you pay for, Apple is beating these PC companies by wide margins. You buy cheap crap you get an overall bad experience. I wonder how Lauren's HP laptop is treating her.

Straight from woot.com on Monday April 20th, 2009.

I think it's funny, I'd like to share...

Nobody Has Ever Said “I’m Not Cool Enough To Be An HP Person”
Oh my God, you guys! This totally has everything that a totally regular redhead gal like me would want in a computer!

I looked at the iPod Store but they were all, like, unfeasibly expensive. I was so bummed I totally had to bust out my most adorable semi-pout. How can they expect a struggling actr- er, I mean, milkmaid like me to afford one of those, like, cool computers?

Then I and my video crew drove over to a regular-people store and was totally drawn to the HP dv7-1245dx Pavilion Entertainment Notebook. Speed? Um, yeah! A 2.0ghz dual core AMD processor and 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB). A comfortable keyboard? Totally! And a 17” screen. So that covers it. And I haven’t even mentioned the 320GB hard drive, the integrated webcam, the eSATA port, or the HDMI connection. Mainly because I don’t know what any of those things are. I just need something fun that will help me with my acti- er, I mean, milking career. You know, because, like, I get a lot of milkmaid work through my MySpace page and my IMDB listing.

I don’t even care that it’s not 1080p resolution, or that the video card uses shared memory. I’m on a budget, remember? Maybe if you’ve got a SAG card and have appeared in several motion pictures and TV shows, you can afford something fancier. But I’m just regular folks, you know? And I’m not just saying that because I’m contractually obligated to. See how I casually flip my scarf, like a real-life, down-to-earth, quirky geek girl? You can’t learn that in acting school.

Not that I would know what goes on in acting school. I’m too busy being real to go anywhere like that.

All right! We got some good work done here, guys. I’m totally getting this computer. Yup. That’s right. This HP Pavilion 17” Entertainment Notebook. It’s mine. I’m taking it home. Any minute now. Yup.

So, like, is somebody going to hand me the money to buy it, or what?

http://resumes.actorsaccess.com/LaurenDeLong
post #105 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post



Oh, that was funny.

What's funny is a comp sci major not knowing Unix... You know the OS that started all this mess... And still thinking winders is the way to go.

From one Comp Sci Dub Maj (circa 1994) to another, get a clue, do your OWN work. Your instructed to KNOW before you THROW so get one, learn it. Then you can bash it all you want. And if you every worked for or visited the MS campus then Apple your tune would change very quickly. Because at one your heard at the other your told.
post #106 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's a free world, they are entitled to post in this forum if they want. But blowing your top over it just makes it look like they hit a nerve with you, which really isn't a good image to get yourself.

"Blowing my top?"
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #107 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

What's funny is a comp sci major not knowing Unix... You know the OS that started all this mess... And still thinking winders is the way to go.

Eh? My hearing aid is broken...did you say unix was the os that started all this? Somewhere I have some punch tape that thinks different. And a few 5.25" floppy from from my Apple ][ thinks different too.
post #108 of 112
After reading through this, I saw SO many responses to that xSamplex guy (which he wanted.)

You guys need to learn to spot which posts are real and which posts are ill-thought attempts at conjuring up some feelings from the people reading it.

Here's an example: "Well that's interesting that this article points to 80%, when everyone knows Apple eats babies" <~do not respond!!!
post #109 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Eh? My hearing aid is broken...did you say unix was the os that started all this? Somewhere I have some punch tape that thinks different. And a few 5.25" floppy from from my Apple ][ thinks different too.

Hey, remember the 60's! I still have an 8.5" Floppy!!! I want to get it framed some day.

Yes, Unix started all of this... It was unix that started the home-brew computer clubs. It was the Home-Brew computer clubs that started the mini-computer. It was the Mini-Computer built by Woz that started the PC. It was the vision of Jobs that started the revolution. It was the Xerox GUI that started the WYSIWYG interface. It was the GUI interface that started the Lisa. It was the Lisa that built the Mac. It was the Mac that started windows.

I guess I summed that up really quick didn't I? Well, 30 years doesn't seem that long I guess.

Somewhere I needed to add it was Unix that was the base for the ARPA net. And it was Unix that started the GNU project. It was the GNU project that started the foundation of which all open source was formed. It was the combination of Open Source GPL (GNU as well) and GNU *nix that started Linux.

So who do we thank for this fine mess we are in?

Woz for the Personal Computer
Jobs for the vision of how we use the computer
Xerox for the GUI and it's representation model of the mouse, we can also thank them for Obj-C.
Richard Stallman for GNU and it's foundation of the GPL and Open Source movement - Originally the creator of all open-source Unix based OS's in my book and deserves the recognition he has not received. More of his work has been duplicated than any other in the computer industry.
Linus Torvalds for the Linux Kernel - There are thousands behind the Linux OS, but Linus started it all with the open-source GPL's kernel file.

And let's not forget....
AT&T for the Unix system responsible for ALL of this. If it wasn't for AT&T's version CC's wouldn't have had access, schools would not have had access and Stallman wouldn't have gotten upset.
Berkley (the university) for BSD and it's MANY MANY MANY students and staff that built the base for Linux, BSD derivatives and all the wonderful (seriously) programming and codework that resulted.

So yea, Unix started it all back in the 60's. Because if we didn't have Unix on mainframes we wouldn't have gotten the Mac thus would not have received the PC as we know it today (with windows loaded onto it).
post #110 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspo View Post

P.S. - Most recent Apple software was not initially developed by Apple. It was bought from other companies and nicely updated with a somewhat consistent user interface - Logic (eMagic Logic), iTunes (Cassidy & Green SoundJam MP), Final Cut Pro (Macromedia KeyGrip), DVD Studio (Astarte DVDirector), etc.

That's four pieces since 1999 (when Apple intro'd Final Cut).

Quite a lot comes in house. I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make - that Apple doesn't innovate on the Desktop? Because if you are that's clearly bunkum.
post #111 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Hey, remember the 60's! I still have an 8.5" Floppy!!! I want to get it framed some day.

Yes, Unix started all of this... It was unix that started the home-brew computer clubs.

No, it did not. Unix wasn't started until 1969 and a hobby OS for Thompson and Ritche until 1970. Unix wasn't rewritten in C until 1973 and started being licensed in larger numbers to universities.

In 1973 Kildall had already developed CP/M for Intel Intellec-8 machines...influenced by the TOPS-10 OS.

In 1975 we already had the first home microcomputer already with the Altair with Altair Basic being written by Gates on a PDP-10 running TOPS-10.

Homebrew microcomputers and unix developed in parallel, not in sequence with unix more in the universities and government and micro computers using assembly and basic in homebrew.

In 1975 there were over 5,000 Altiar 8800s. In 1978 there were only 600 unix boxes.

Quote:
It was the Home-Brew computer clubs that started the mini-computer. It was the Mini-Computer built by Woz that started the PC.

No, the homebrew clubs were all micro computers and they were mostly 8080 machines running CP/M. No minicomputers because the PDP machines and other minicomputers were all expensive and owned by universities and companies.

The PC was Intel based and ran an OS that was a simplified CP/M. It can trace it's heritage to Altair's and CP/M and PDP-10s running TOPS-10 more than either Apple or Unix.

Quote:
It was the vision of Jobs that started the revolution. It was the Xerox GUI that started the WYSIWYG interface. It was the GUI interface that started the Lisa. It was the Lisa that built the Mac. It was the Mac that started windows.

Heh, it was Xerox's management's refusal to buy Xerox PARC researchers a PDP-10 to start building their own PDP-10 clone (MAXC) rather than the Xerox SDS boxes...

Quote:
Somewhere I needed to add it was Unix that was the base for the ARPA net.

ARPANET started in 1962 and created in 1969. Before Unix was born. The first machines on them where a SDS Sigma 7 at UCLA, a SDS 940 running NLS at Stanford, a IBM 360/75running OS/MVT at UC Stanta Barbra and a Univeristy of Utah PDP-10 running TENEX (aka TOPS-20).

Hard to be the "base" of something when you didn't even exist. Email existed in 1971 and FTP existed by 1973. Long before Unix matured enough to become really widespead.

Quote:
And it was Unix that started the GNU project. It was the GNU project that started the foundation of which all open source was formed. It was the combination of Open Source GPL (GNU as well) and GNU *nix that started Linux.

Again no. Open source existed before the FSF and GPL, we just never called it that. In the 60s and 70s code was often freely shared. GNU did not start or inspire Linux, it adopted it as their kernel because the BSDs were busy with their own issues and HURD was a fiasco. Linux was inspired by MINIX and probably never would have gotten off the ground had it not been for the USL v BSDi lawsuit that made open source BSD come to a screeching halt around the same time.

Linus has said had 386BSD been available, he probably wouldn't have created Linux.

Quote:
So who do we thank for this fine mess we are in?

Probably Bill Gates. BASIC was a heck of a lot more friendly than assembler, found IBM an OS when DR did something immensly silly, and commoditized operating systems and supported clones of the pricey IBM PCs because they didn't care about the hardware revenue stream and Intel only cared about selling more and more chips.
post #112 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspo View Post

...Apple's product development ... still has to a certain extent, a "not-built-here" anxiety complex...

Until very recently, Apple didn't use many conventional standard protocols or parts - ... Motorola 680x0 instead of Intel, PowerPC instead of Intel,...Custom ROM instead of BIOS/EFI,...
...
I like my BMW because it looks good, sounds good, and feels good... I usually tend to see more customized Honda Civics and Mitsubishi Mirages on the road than BMWs. Are these less expensive cars bad? The people that drive them seem to like them.

There is no right or wrong - it is a matter of taste. I don't know why people take sides ...

Agree mostly.

BMW analogy is ok, Mac OS X is the main reason to buy Apple hardware IMHO, not for luxury.

CentOS is what I'm using at the moment, but I've used Apple/Microsoft/GNULinux,FreeBSD/Palm also.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study