or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New iMac owners see Radeon HD 4850-related lock-up issue

New iMac owners see Radeon HD 4850-related lock-up issue - Page 5

post #161 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not familiar with iStat Menu...

It's like their other system monitoring apps, but these run in the Menu Bar. I find them quite useful. They even have a date/clock replacement for Apple's default that will show a calendar that you view various months and years easily. I find it all much more convenient than accessing Dashboard to get access these functions.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #162 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's like their other system monitoring apps, but these run in the Menu Bar. I find them quite useful. They even have a date/clock replacement for Apple's default that will show a calendar that you view various months and years easily. I find it all much more convenient than accessing Dashboard to get access these functions.

I use iClock for the clock calender etc. stuff. It's pretty good.

I have both SmartReporter and Smart Utility for my HDD's.

I also have Hardware Monitor, and Temprature Monitor, but find HD Mon to mostly be a repeat of Temp mon.

There are so many utilities, it's crazy. I also use Cocktail, Lil' Snitch, and a couple of others.
post #163 of 183
Quote:

I use iClock for the clock calender etc. stuff. It's pretty good.

I have both SmartReporter and Smart Utility for my HDD's.

I also have Hardware Monitor, and Temprature Monitor, but find HD Mon to mostly be a repeat of Temp mon.

There are so many utilities, it's crazy. I also use Cocktail, Lil' Snitch, and a couple of others.

iClock Pro is considerably more involved than what iStat Menu offers, but the others might help you consolidate these other system monitoring functions into one app that you setup through a Preference Pane. If you're feeling crazy it might be worth a look.
post #164 of 183
Quote:

iClock Pro is considerably more involved than what iStat Menu offers, but the others might help you consolidate these other system monitoring functions into one app that you setup through a Preference Pane. If you're feeling crazy it might be worth a look.

Are you saying that iStat Menu replaces all, or some of those others, or that it, as you say, consolidates them into one menu? I'm not sure what you meant.
post #165 of 183
Quote:

Are you saying that iStat Menu replaces all, or some of those others, or that it, as you say, consolidates them into one menu? I'm not sure what you meant.

I couldn't say it replaces all the functions as I haven't used most of the apps you mentioned, and I doubt that it replaces all the bells and whistles of each separate app, but it does consolidate at least most of those things into one app with plenty of options. It uses Cocoa so you can hold down the Command key and drag them to the position that is best for you.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/
post #166 of 183
Quote:

I couldn't say it replaces all the functions as I haven't used most of the apps you mentioned, and I doubt that it replaces all the bells and whistles of each separate app, but it does consolidate at least most of those things into one app with plenty of options. It uses Cocoa so you can hold down the Command key and drag them to the position that is best for you.
http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/

While I was waiting, I downloaded, and installed it.

It's interesting, but it only does a few things that are useful. Really, do we need to know the fan speeds?

It doesn't do Smart reporting, just temp monitoring. No real outbound or inbound monitoring as Lil' Snitch does. No Unix tool functions as in Cocktail.

Most of the rest can be done in Activity monitor.

It mostly replaces the temp monitoring tools and the clock. The rest is of limited value. I suppose to some it is useful.

I'll play with it for a few days.
post #167 of 183
Quote:

While I was waiting, I downloaded, and installed it.

It's interesting, but it only does a few things that are useful. Really, do we need to know the fan speeds?

It doesn't do Smart reporting, just temp monitoring. No real outbound or inbound monitoring as Lil' Snitch does. No Unix tool functions as in Cocktail.

Most of the rest can be done in Activity monitor.

It mostly replaces the temp monitoring tools and the clock. The rest is of limited value. I suppose to some it is useful.

I'll play with it for a few days.

All depends on your needs. I only have temp, RAM, CPU and clock functions running. Most of the stuff I don't care about.

Do you know of any RSS apps that run only in the menu bar? I I use RSS Menu but it's uses considerably resources when grabbing feeds, it has a major memory leak and it's not in Cocoa. Yet, I prefer it over a window-based app.
post #168 of 183
Quote:

Do you know of any RSS apps that run only in the menu bar? I I use RSS Menu but it's uses considerably resources when grabbing feeds, it has a major memory leak and it's not in Cocoa. Yet, I prefer it over a window-based app.

That's interesting. When RSS first came out, I used it a lot, but then, my interest waned. I couldn't find a use for it, so I stopped using it. I find I'd rather just go to the site and read it. There are things that the RSS feed doesn't give, that almost always are interesting, that I would have missed. So, sorry on that one.
post #169 of 183
Quote:

There are things that the RSS feed doesn't give, that almost always are interesting, that I would have missed. So, sorry on that one.

What do you mean by this? I use it for many websites so I can know when new articles get posted and then go to the website to read the article. Without it, I'd be lost trying to remember which sites I last read that day.

post #170 of 183
Quote:

What do you mean by this? I use it for many websites so I can know when new articles get posted and then go to the website to read the article. Without it, I'd be lost trying to remember which sites I last read that day.

I often find that a lot of sites have various columns, articles, and whatnot that doesn't appear in RSS. For example, I find that very often, articles in sidebars don't show up in RSS.

Some sites have different RSS feeds for the various sorts of info they have, but many don't. Some don't even have an RSS feed at all.
post #171 of 183
Quote:

I often find that a lot of sites have various columns, articles, and whatnot that doesn't appear in RSS. For example, I find that very often, articles in sidebars don't show up in RSS.

Some sites have different RSS feeds for the various sorts of info they have, but many don't. Some don't even have an RSS feed at all.

I remember when that was an issue, but I think the feeds have been cleaned up pretty well since its inception... at least for the sites I monitor.
post #172 of 183
Quote:

I remember when that was an issue, but I think the feeds have been cleaned up pretty well since its inception... at least for the sites I monitor.

It's not all sites, just some that I'm interested in. I think it's mostly that like anything else, the people administrating sites don't always do the best job at everything.

Anyway, I find the feeds to be bland and dry. I don't find it to be any more trouble to just go to the site itself. A click is a click.
post #173 of 183
Quote:

Anyway, I find the feeds to be bland and dry. I don't find it to be any more trouble to just go to the site itself. A click is a click.

I couldn't live without my RSS at this point. I hated going to a site periodically to see if there is a new article. I much prefer just seeing the feed number increase when there is a new article available.

I also use Google Alerts to send me emails of news items, but only for keywords that I wouldn't find on my own on the sites I typically read.
post #174 of 183
Quote:

I couldn't live without my RSS at this point. I hated going to a site periodically to see if there is a new article. I much prefer just seeing the feed number increase when there is a new article available.

You know, different strokes for different folks.
post #175 of 183
Apple Support says... new unit. Bummer. I assume I'll have another multi-week wait.

EDIT: Oh wait, nope, they are sending me back to my reseller..for another 3 week wait. Lame in the extreme. Paperwork hell for NO reason. This one goes up the flagpole. Letter to Apple PR on corporate letterhead in 3- 2- 1-....
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #176 of 183
Well since my last post, I mentioned something about the SMART monitoring and iStat. Since then I e-mailed the company to see if there was a way to disable the app temporarily, but got the response of "No, because of the way the application works" as to which I uninstalled to see if there was a difference. I've been cranking on this the iMac all night long with no hiccups thus far.

I can't imagine that uninstalling that app would make a difference, but so far no freezing. I am going to try another few days without the application installed to see if it locks up, and then reinstall it to see if I can get it to lock up on me.

Can anyone else thats having issues confirm that they don't after uninstalling a monitoring app like this?
post #177 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3n85 View Post

Well since my last post, I mentioned something about the SMART monitoring and iStat. Since then I e-mailed the company to see if there was a way to disable the app temporarily, but got the response of "No, because of the way the application works" as to which I uninstalled to see if there was a difference. I've been cranking on this the iMac all night long with no hiccups thus far.

I can't imagine that uninstalling that app would make a difference, but so far no freezing. I am going to try another few days without the application installed to see if it locks up, and then reinstall it to see if I can get it to lock up on me.

Can anyone else thats having issues confirm that they don't after uninstalling a monitoring app like this?

On AccelerateyourMac, http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ they have a thread about this. It seems that people have found that WiFi is causing a problem, and there are ways of testing for this, and hopefully fixing the problem.

Scroll down the page a bit and you will get to some quick info.
post #178 of 183
Having this thing lock up on me twice today so far... I take my statement back
Think I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to see if I should just get a new one... or where they stand tomorrow ... anyone else have anything uplifting ?
post #179 of 183
Quote:

Having this thing lock up on me twice today so far... I take my statement back
Think I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to see if I should just get a new one... or where they stand tomorrow ... anyone else have anything uplifting ?

Update on our situation - the Mac froze again today, when on YouTube, radio playing and on full screen. Phoned Apple Support & got to speak to someone at a higher level. I was told it is a known fault & they are working on it but couldn't say when the fix would come. As we've had the Mac for 15 days, we were given the option to have a full refund or wait for the fix. We decided to have the refund and a replacement Mac with the NVIDIA GT 130 graphics card. We can return the faulty Mac when the new one is delivered. Hopefully we have done the right thing and the new one will be OK. However, we will end up with a Mac with a lower spec. Time will tell....
post #180 of 183
Well I don't want to jinx myself, but taking a hint from another user I disabled the WiFi and switched to ethernet and haven't had any issues yet since last night... so here's hoping it's nothing with the video card.

As usual, I'll update with anything else in the near future....
post #181 of 183
Quote:

Well I don't want to jinx myself, but taking a hint from another user I disabled the WiFi and switched to ethernet and haven't had any issues yet since last night... so here's hoping it's nothing with the video card.

As usual, I'll update with anything else in the near future....

That's good to know. Good luck, and yes, keep us updated please.
post #182 of 183
SEVEN phone calls later, admission that engineering is well aware of the issue and is working around the clock to resolve.

They have 'new orders' to ask customers to keep their computers and not issue replacements.

Wonder how long the 'wait' will be.
post #183 of 183
Well another day on Ethernet and no freezing yet ... this is a good sign. Anyone else? Didn't wireless give another generation some issues too?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › New iMac owners see Radeon HD 4850-related lock-up issue