or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods

Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods - Page 2

post #41 of 105
Oh, as expected, continued rip-off margins...
post #42 of 105
Nokia 5800 sales 2.8 million since November.

iPhone sales 3.79 million in this quarter alone.

Another iPhone "killer" bites the dust.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Margins any investor can appreciate, and especially since there are obviously cheaper alternatives out there that can't compete. Apple rocks, face it my friend.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

In fact among all these supposedly iPhone-Killers, 5800 is the worst.

Yet Nokia managed to sell all most 3 million of them, it makes me kinda angry.

Alas, market position & mind share really can do wanders sometime.
post #45 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

If you live anywhere near an Apple Store, you would soon surmise that these so-called analysts are nothing more than glorified bean counters. Apple's retail platform hasn't missed a beat in how long now? Yet the naysayers seem to spend way too much time listening to people that have a vested interest in seeing the price of Apple shares fall, only to rapidly rise after the quarterly report blows by the "estimates."

Short sellers are the bane of our economy, and the sooner more is down to thwart their self-serving efforts, the better.

Instead of constantly challenging Apple to reveal more and more about Steve Jobs' health, they should have been pushing the SEC to reinstate the "uptick rule."

Ah well, in a perfect world....

Actually, when they LOSE, they help drive the stock up, when they have to cover and buy. I hope there were a LOT of short sellers before this call!
post #46 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

Oh~~~ Microsoft please end your miserable Zune line, quick. For there is no hope.

How can Apple manage to sell this many stupid (or not so stupid) mp3 players in a saturated market is just beyond me...and I'm a Apple fanboi.

Especially with one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! (According to Techstud & many other pundits)

Bloody murder!!!

In case you missed it, the US Military might be one of Apple's biggest accounts. Check out this article in Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194623/output/print
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
post #47 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

Actually, when they LOSE, they help drive the stock up, when they have to cover and buy. I hope there were a LOT of short sellers before this call!

Perhaps. But it is rather obvious, to me at least, that AAPL is one of the most manipulated stocks out there. It makes is very difficult for long term investors to hang in there as they should.

Too many people nowadays can create havoc with so much as a whisper, and pocket someone else's life savings on their way out the door. It is high time Wall Street stopped screwing around with Credit Default Swaps, Structured Investment Vehicles and the like, and got back to basics with solid companies, investing for the long term.

It is probably not going to happen any time soon, but it is a thought I hold on to. \
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #48 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Actually what you expected was

Is there a particular medical reason that you spout crap all of the time?

You need to read my post yesterday morning at 10:37 AM:

I said :
Quote:
Actually I predict the iPod Touch to save the day.

A nice day to you and your royal family.
post #49 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Curious. The trolls are strangely silent. Facts are stubborn things, aren't they?

Not silent, just hanging upside in a cave sleeping.
post #50 of 105
" Mac Rules " as we use to say. Since my first Mac Plus 1985, to
my new iMAC. Since retiring from typesetting with Pagemaker
and the ole Mac ll I've toned down from the power Mac's in the last
few years. I have no need for an iPhone, but I sure want one.
I fought the nay sayers for years. Now I enjoy laying back and watching
them grovel. Whacha say brother in law?
post #51 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Perhaps. But it is rather obvious, to me at least, that AAPL is one of the most manipulated stocks out there. It makes is very difficult for long term investors to hang in there as they should.

I'm not sure what you mean. These market manipulations only matter if you are short or trying to time the market. If you are long term, you buy and hold. It makes ZERO difference (to the long term investor) if someone floats a rumor that Steve Jobs is growing a third pinky causing panic and the stock to go down 30% because eventually the stock will come back. Manipulations will only have temporary effects on the prices of the stock and do not affect the fundamentals.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #52 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I'm not sure what you mean. These market manipulations only matter if you are short or trying to time the market. If you are long term, you buy and hold. It makes ZERO difference (to the long term investor) if someone floats a rumor that Steve Jobs is growing a third pinky causing panic and the stock to go down 30% because eventually the stock will come back. Manipulations will only have temporary effects on the prices of the stock and do not affect the fundamentals.

Yes and No. In the short-term, people will short the stock, but in the long-term they will dissolve their long-term holdings if they don't see coherent and factual support of Apple not only maintaining but expanding without Steve.
post #53 of 105
Why is the headline for this story in red on the front page? Apple is in the black!!
post #54 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Yes and No. In the short-term, people will short the stock, but in the long-term they will dissolve their long-term holdings if they don't see coherent and factual support of Apple not only maintaining but expanding without Steve.

I'm not sure what you mean. I was responding to someone complaining that the market manipulations were making it difficult to be a long term investor.

If there is an problem with the company (like, for example, if the company was unable to function at a high level while SJ was absent) then of course that could hurt long term investors. But that is not an example of market manipulation so it has nothing to do with my previous comments.
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #55 of 105
Quote:

And people are still paying for that in the current economy.
post #56 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Awesome results, but the decline in mac sales is not so good.

Given the price of AAPL 6 months ago, the market obviously priced in Mac sales drop of something much larger. I would argue that the small drop measured in this market and compared to what the market had "priced in" makes this an outstanding result. The extra, unexpected margin is just the icing on the cake.

This result, in this market, outstanding result. AAPL is still underpriced, and beginning to look recession proof, or at the very least, able to soften its inevitable effects. I say well done Apple
post #57 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Given the price of AAPL 6 months ago, the market obviously priced in Mac sales drop of something much larger. I would argue that the small drop measured in this market and compared to what the market had "priced in" makes this an outstanding result. The extra, unexpected margin is just the icing on the cake.

This result, in this market, outstanding result. AAPL is still underpriced, and beginning to look recession proof, or at the very least, able to soften its inevitable effects. I say well done Apple

I had read three months ago, that on the technicals, cash on hand, no debt etc, that Apple was worth at least $148 a share, now, that would be higher.

They're worth over $32 in cash a share alone.
post #58 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not this time.

unless you are one of the people purchasing apple products and aiding their mammoth income levels...

"Hi, I want to buy a new iMac"

"Sure, just bend over and I will be with you shortly"
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #59 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Nokia sells over a million phones a day, what is your point?
post #60 of 105
Quote:

In fact among all these supposedly iPhone-Killers, 5800 is the worst.

Yet Nokia managed to sell all most 3 million of them, it makes me kinda angry.

Alas, market position & mind share really can do wanders sometime.

Number 1. The 5800 is not an "iPhone Killer" as you put it.

Number 2. Maybe so many people have purchased it as the purchase requirements are not as restrictive as the likes of Apple.
post #61 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

In case you missed it, the US Military might be one of Apple's biggest accounts. Check out this article in Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/194623/output/print

Who cares...a sale is a sale. Doesn't matter who it goes to. So if I buy 20 million iPods this quarter its not supposed to count toward their sales vs other players?

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #62 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Number 1. The 5800 is not an "iPhone Killer" as you put it.

Number 2. Maybe so many people have purchased it as the purchase requirements are not as restrictive as the likes of Apple.

Compare it to the other iPhone Killers, please.

You'll see the irony.
post #63 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Who cares...a sale is a sale. Doesn't matter who it goes to. So if I buy 20 million iPods this quarter its not supposed to count toward their sales vs other players?

To be honest I'm not even sure whether US military purchases could be considered a significant enough contributor of the 11M total iPod sales number.

Last time I heard, US Army don't issue everyone a iPod touch when you enlist or been shipped to Iraq.
post #64 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

unless you are one of the people purchasing apple products and aiding their mammoth income levels...

So we can assume this is trolling, or do you have a real point to make that you couldn't think of doing in a more acceptable way?
post #65 of 105
Quote:

Nokia sells over a million phones a day, what is your point?

They don't sell anywhere near a million smartphones a day. Or a week.
post #66 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

If you aren't, then why are you here?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #67 of 105
Quote:

Compare it to the other iPhone Killers, please.

You'll see the irony.

No I don't, what is your point?
post #68 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They don't sell anywhere near a million smartphones a day. Or a week.

What is your point? At the end of the day, Nokia sells over one million phones a day
post #69 of 105
Quote:

What is your point? At the end of the day, Nokia sells over one million phones a day

The point is that we don't care about how many phones Nokia sells. We only care about how many smartphones they sell.

This is about smartphones, not cheap, or free phones.
post #70 of 105
Quote:

No I don't, what is your point?

Pfff Nokia sell 1M phones per day!

The 5800 irony?

Indeed I'll admit I can't help you.
post #71 of 105
Quote:

The point is that we don't care about how many phones Nokia sells. We only care about how many smartphones they sell.

Well they sell a heck of a lot more than Apple.

Quote:

This is about smartphones, not cheap, or free phones.

No it isn't, Apple sells a device, which competes against these so called 'cheap, or free' phones (which Nokia still gets paid for).
post #72 of 105
Quote:

No it isn't, Apple sells a device, which competes against these so called 'cheap, or free' phones (which Nokia still gets paid for).

I don't know of anyone that would argue, in good faith, that the iPhone is "competing" with basic free phones.

That's because the iPhone is a small, hand held computer that includes a phone app (as are several other smartphones on the market).

You might as well argue that laptop sales should be viewed against LCD tv sales, since laptops can be used to view video. By which you could prove that Samsung is destroying Apple's notebook business.

I mean, I realize you're not arguing in good faith, and don't care about what makes sense, but I just thought I'd point it out.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #73 of 105
Quote:

Well they sell a heck of a lot more than Apple.

True. But Apple's phone sales are up more than double from last year this quarter. Nokia's smartphone sales (as are all of their sales) have been dropping ever since the iPhone came out, and were down another 19%. The difference between the two is continually shrinking. If you look at the numbers we've seen published, it will become clear to you.

Quote:

No they don't. You are trying to set up an argument that doesn't exist. Nice try, but you're wrong. Give it up.
post #74 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't know of anyone that would argue, in good faith, that the iPhone is "competing" with basic free phones.

That's because the iPhone is a small, hand held computer that includes a phone app (as are several other smartphones on the market).

You might as well argue that laptop sales should be viewed against LCD tv sales, since laptops can be used to view video. By which you could prove that Samsung is destroying Apple's notebook business.

I mean, I realize you're not arguing in good faith, and don't care about what makes sense, but I just thought I'd point it out.

This is a simple business process, one that you seem to miss, maybe this is why the business world is in the position that it currently is in. When a consumer has the choice between two items, and there is a high chance they will only buy one of them, that makes the items competitors. This is regardless of the price, and the category they fall in to.

I could buy a netbook, or a MacBook Pro, they are at different ends of the market, but most people will only buy one or the other.

The same thing with phones, most people will buy one at a time, and there is a range of devices they can choose from across the cellphone category, to which the iPhone, and the 'free' phone are members.

And remembering the whole competition thing runs between categories as well. The majority of the people in the world cannot afford an iPhone, or any cellphone really, so there are other items competing for there money.
post #75 of 105
Quote:

True. But Apple's phone sales are up more than double from last year this quarter. Nokia's smartphone sales (as are all of their sales) have been dropping ever since the iPhone came out, and were down another 19%. The difference between the two is continually shrinking. If you look at the numbers we've seen published, it will become clear to you.

How many of the Apple sales are to new customers.

Quote:

No they don't. You are trying to set up an argument that doesn't exist. Nice try, but you're wrong. Give it up.

I think you really need to look outside your own backyard.
post #76 of 105
Quote:

This is a simple business process, one that you seem to miss, maybe this is why the business world is in the position that it currently is in. When a consumer has the choice between two items, and there is a high chance they will only buy one of them, that makes the items competitors. This is regardless of the price, and the category they fall in to.

I could buy a netbook, or a MacBook Pro, they are at different ends of the market, but most people will only buy one or the other.

The same thing with phones, most people will buy one at a time, and there is a range of devices they can choose from across the cellphone category, to which the iPhone, and the 'free' phone are members.

And remembering the whole competition thing runs between categories as well. The majority of the people in the world cannot afford an iPhone, or any cellphone really, so there are other items competing for there money.

You're taking that argument too far, and we've gone through that argument several times over the past year in several categories.

In theory, you are correct, but in practice, for the majority of people, you are not. You know that.

When someone thinks, "Gee, I wish I could afford xxx product, but I can't, so I'll buy yyy instead.", you might say that the two products were in competition, but they were not. Not realistically.
post #77 of 105
Quote:

How many of the Apple sales are to new customers.

How many of Nokia's phones were to new customers?

Quote:
I think you really need to look outside your own backyard.

When you don't have an answer, this is what you can come up with?

I look so far, I can see into your front yard.
post #78 of 105
Quote:

You're taking that argument too far, and we've gone through that argument several times over the past year in several categories.

In theory, you are correct, but in practice, for the majority of people, you are not. You know that.

The majority of the people could not even afford an Apple product.
post #79 of 105
Quote:

How many of Nokia's phones were to new customers?

When you don't have an answer, this is what you can come up with?

I look so far, I can see into your front yard.

Nope, I came up with this answer as you appear to be taking a simple outtake on this, you appear to be thinking that everyone in the world is in the same financial position as yourself.
post #80 of 105
Quote:

And yet people are buying.

If you're not part of Apple's target market, or are unable to get into it, that's YOUR problem.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods