or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods - Page 3

post #81 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the people could not even afford an Apple product.

So what? Who really cares?

Apple isn't even really after the majority anyway, just the premium end. They sell a premium product to a certain segment of the market. That's typical of premium products, nothing new or exceptional.
post #82 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the people in the world cannot afford an iPhone, or any cellphone really, so there are other items competing for there money.

And that is why people here are disagreeing with you.

The conversation is about 'smart' phones but you have taken your argument to it's logical conclusion ...... which is .... that the iPhone is not competing at all well with sales of.... rice!
post #83 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the people could not even afford an Apple product.

Then that closes out your argument, if true. There would be no competition in those product lines, as I and others have been saying.

You've just given the counterpoint to your own argument!
post #84 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nope, I came up with this answer as you appear to be taking a simple outtake on this, you appear to be thinking that everyone in the world is in the same financial position as yourself.

No.

You are the one doing that. You are stating that all these products compete with each other, not I. You are saying that free phones compete with two, three, four hundred and up phones, not me.

It's YOUR argument that competition knows no price boundaries, not us.

You are now, as in your last post to me, countermanding your own argument.

As you have been denying, and as we have been stating, Apple's phones (as well as all the other expensive smartphones out there) are NOT competing against the cheap, or free phones out there. They are different markets.

You've just now, and in the last post, agreed to that.

Do you realize that? Or are you going to try and come up with one more specious argument otherwise?
post #85 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the people could not even afford an Apple product.

Then why are the large majority of MP3 players I see people carrying are iPods?
post #86 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Then why are the large majority of MP3 players I see people carrying are iPods?

There are over 6 billion people in the world, how many of those have purchased an iPod?
post #87 of 105
You are not in the market for an Apple product if you cannot afford it. Therefore Apple was never competing for your business in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The majority of the people could not even afford an Apple product.
post #88 of 105
Asking how many people in the world have iPods isn't particularly significant, less than a third even live in a developed country that has jobs that could even afford them an iPod.

Last official count Apple has sold over 173 million iPods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There are over 6 billion people in the world, how many of those have purchased an iPod?
post #89 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

There are over 6 billion people in the world, how many of those have purchased an iPod?

A bit over half the people who have purchased digital players around the world have purchased iPods.

Thats the relevant statistic.
post #90 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

How many of the Apple sales are to new customers.




I think you really need to look outside your own backyard.

iPhone sales growth in this quarter includes 40% new to AT&T.
post #91 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A bit over half the people who have purchased digital players around the world have purchased iPods.

Thats the relevant statistic.

But that is not what people on this site are saying though is it...
post #92 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

iPhone sales growth in this quarter includes 40% new to AT&T.

Well USA/Canada only makes up 8% of the international cellphone market, so using AT&T isn't a great example...
post #93 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But that is not what people on this site are saying though is it...

Where did you see that said?

iPods sell from $69 to $399. That's a wide range. iPhones, on the other hand go for $199 and $299, then you need a contract. Big difference.
post #94 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where did you see that said?


Quote:
Then why are the large majority of MP3 players I see people carrying are iPods?

This is just one of the many, just because they live in an area that purchases more expensive items doesn't make their survey valid worldwide.


Also, you comment regard the end user getting some Nokia phones for free... Remember in some parts of the world the Nokia N95 was provided free with a contract (the iPhone is as well in some locations, maybe Apple shouldn't count those ones against their sales)

Quote:
This is about smartphones, not cheap, or free phones.

And another users reply regarding the US Military purchasing iPods for soliders...

Quote:
Who cares...a sale is a sale. Doesn't matter who it goes to. So if I buy 20 million iPods this quarter its not supposed to count toward their sales vs other players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

iPods sell from $69 to $399. That's a wide range. iPhones, on the other hand go for $199 and $299, then you need a contract. Big difference.

What;s that got to do with anything?

But since you brought it up... like I said, look outside your backyard

Vodafone NZ (and I took off sales taxes to make it easier for you to compare) sells the iPhone between US$221 and US$870, and the median weekly income from all sources in NZ is US$300
post #95 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

This is just one of the many, just because they live in an area that purchases more expensive items doesn't make their survey valid worldwide.

How does this add to the discussion? There are official numbers, it's not a survey.

Quote:
Also, you comment regard the end user getting some Nokia phones for free... Remember in some parts of the world the Nokia N95 was provided free with a contract (the iPhone is as well in some locations, maybe Apple shouldn't count those ones against their sales)

Exactly what companies are offering iPhones free with a contract as a regular option, and not a one time event?


Quote:
And another users reply regarding the US Military purchasing iPods for soliders...

And?


Quote:


What;s that got to do with anything?

But since you brought it up... like I said, look outside your backyard

Vodafone NZ (and I took off sales taxes to make it easier for you to compare) sells the iPhone between US$221 and US$870, and the median weekly income from all sources in NZ is US$300

Your conversation is difficult to follow. I give a direct response to something you say, and you ask what it has to do with something!

Your numbers for NZ income is way off as well. The average NZ male earns $1010 NZ, which is as of rates right now, $592 US. that's twice your numbers.

This is from the NZ site:

http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html
post #96 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Exactly what companies are offering iPhones free with a contract as a regular option, and not a one time event?

O2 UK.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your conversation is difficult to follow. I give a direct response to something you say, and you ask what it has to do with something!

Your numbers for NZ income is way off as well. The average NZ male earns $1010 NZ, which is as of rates right now, $592 US. that's twice your numbers.

This is from the NZ site:

http://www.emigratenz.org/Work.html

Ha ha ha ha, man you crack me up. For starters, why are you using emigratenz.org as a reference, it is US based, and it has nothing to do with official NZ statistics.

NZ government sites end with .govt.nz

Here I will link to the offical site for you

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-an...tp-revised.htm

One interesting thing about NZ, is there is more than just males there, there are females as well, and their incomes get counted in statistics
post #97 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

O2 UK.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

That's nice to know, as my daughter will be going to school there shortly.


Quote:
Ha ha ha ha, man you crack me up. For starters, why are you using emigratenz.org as a reference, it is US based, and it has nothing to do with official NZ statistics.

NZ government sites end with .govt.nz

Here I will link to the offical site for you

http://www.stats.govt.nz/products-an...tp-revised.htm

One interesting thing about NZ, is there is more than just males there, there are females as well, and their incomes get counted in statistics

I hate to tell you this, but the stats aren't that different, except the one you linked to is older. It also has income for males as being higher than the one I linked to.

And as far as cracking up is concerned, you have done it.

Your first "stat" said that the average income from all sources was $300 a week. Where did you get that nonsense from?

This one you just gave, while likely no more accurate than the one I gave, is far closer to mine than your first one. Care to provide a link that shows $300 a week?
post #98 of 105
In light of these results - maybe Michael Dell can take his own advise, close up Dell, sell off all the assets and give the money back to the shareholders
post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Awesome results, but the decline in mac sales is not so good.

The one company that grew masively had nothing to do with sales increase and everything to do with their acquisitions; the 3% decline is nothing compared to the massive decline felt by Dell. a 3% decline is neither here nor there given that Snow Leopard is around the corner, the waiting by some for updated products and the fact that the worse of the recession was over Christmas
post #100 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Oh, as expected, continued rip-off margins...

Compared to Microsoft's 85% margins - I'll take Apple's 27% 'rip off margins' any day of the week - thank you very much.

Unlike Microsoft - I'm actually seeing money I pay to Apple going into real products that benefit me as a consumer compared to the regurgitated crap such as Windows which keep being puked out on schedule every 3 years with the same faults and problems as always.
post #101 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your first "stat" said that the average income from all sources was $300 a week. Where did you get that nonsense from?

This one you just gave, while likely no more accurate than the one I gave, is far closer to mine than your first one. Care to provide a link that shows $300 a week?

If you look at the message you will see a US$ in front of the 300, that means United States Dollar, not New Zealand dollar.
post #102 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you look at the message you will see a US$ in front of the 300, that means United States Dollar, not New Zealand dollar.

I know that, and that was why it was so far off too. The actual total in US dollars, is in the high five hundreds.
post #103 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I know that, and that was why it was so far off too. The actual total in US dollars, is in the high five hundreds.

No it isn't, you decided to take a small sub-set of the population, not the average across the population.
post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No it isn't, you decided to take a small sub-set of the population, not the average across the population.

I didn't "choose" anything other than the first site I came across that had NZ stats on this. You're own numbers are still way off. New Zealanders aren't as poor as you want to portray them as being.
post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't "choose" anything other than the first site I came across that had NZ stats on this. You're own numbers are still way off. New Zealanders aren't as poor as you want to portray them as being.

They aren't my numbers, they are the NZ governments. They are the official stats for NZ.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods