or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic

Flu pandemic

post #1 of 112
Susan Collins US senator

After meeting with Mr. Obama, Sen. Collins expressed concern about a number of spending provisions, including $780 million for pandemic-flu preparedness. "I have no doubt that the president is willing to negotiate in good faith, that he wants to have a bipartisan bill," Sen. Collins said.

I am not sure how to respond to this other than with "Excuse me?"

That will really look great in the next election commercials.

Vote Republican, we fight for your right to get sick and get no help.
post #2 of 112
You know that a problem like is a real issue when it starts to show up on Bloomberg and other business news sites. Oil dropped today because of the risk that a large pandemic will cause the world economy to slow further.

A pandemic that is noticeable at the "world GDP" level is a pretty serious deal.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #3 of 112
It's going to spread fast, so stock up on Tamiflu or Relenza now. I think the deaths in Mexico have mainly come about due to late or slow access to proper treatment.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #4 of 112
I'm just getting over a nasty week-long chest cold type illness, and now my wife and son have it. I wonder...

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #5 of 112
Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear.... except, naturally for the makers of Tamiflu®, Hofmann La Roche pharmaceuticals.

A comment by Ret. Army General Russell Honoré on CNN:
Quote:
How did it start in Mexico, where did it emanate from? Weve been able to find that out in all previous pandemics, the question now is to get at the heart of how this started - did it start from the occasion of viruses coming together or did it come out of a lab? All those questions have to be answered.

All good questions, but unfortunately, they usually lead to silly asides. Let's see.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #6 of 112
Fudge me!

I caught a cold/flu ~10 days ago. I went to the doctor and got some cold/flu drugs, but no flu shot.

Oh nooooooooos! I'm going to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............................. ..............................................
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #7 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Fudge me!

I caught a cold/flu ~10 days ago. I went to the doctor and got some cold/flu drugs, but no flu shot.

Oh nooooooooos! I'm going to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............................. ..............................................

Don't worry Frank. I'll "care" for you from 2,000 miles away over the internet.

I hope you feel better.

I have now shown amazing empathy and caring ability.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #8 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Don't worry Frank. I'll "care" for you from 2,000 miles away over the internet.

I hope you feel better.

I have now shown amazing empathy and caring ability.

May I have a virtual hug?

post #9 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

May I have a virtual hug?

I'll do better than that. I'll put you in the middle of a Trumptman/Shania Twain Sandwich Hug!

You

Do you feel cared for now?

post #10 of 112
flu shots don't help you with this particular flu. Tamiflu is $100/person if you order it over the internet - I think I will wait until I actually need it, the government stocked up already, didn't they?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #11 of 112
We have an Artman wannabe, I think I should post multiple images of the same thing because I don't like Images that go against my vision.

Damn, I'm on dial up, it'll take for freaking ever.

Fuck it.
post #12 of 112
Ha ha,
the Collins - Schumer videos are on endless loops. The GOP is really committing suicide. The next election is going to frightening. Even I don't want that manuy Democrats in our Government.
post #13 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

Ha ha,
the Collins - Schumer videos are on endless loops. The GOP is really committing suicide. The next election is going to frightening. Even I don't want that manuy Democrats in our Government.

Two words: third party.

post #14 of 112
This swine flu provides great coverage for Napolitano. I mean it's been so incredibly deadly here in the US compared the common flu.

Palin! Rush! Swine Flu!
post #15 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear Fear.... except, naturally for the makers of Tamiflu®, Hofmann La Roche pharmaceuticals.

A comment by Ret. Army General Russell Honoré on CNN:

All good questions, but unfortunately, they usually lead to silly asides. Let's see.

Isn't Rumsfeld associated with one of these makers?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #16 of 112
Only 7 Swine Flu Deaths, Not 152

Just a slight exagerration. Purely unintentional, I'm sure.

post #17 of 112
Regardless of what the truth may actually be, there's always Bachmann's take on things:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_192493.html

She can't even get her history right.

Why does she hate America so much?

post #18 of 112
Quote:

Only 7 Swine Flu Deaths, Not 152

Just a slight exagerration. Purely unintentional, I'm sure.

Actually no. In the next round of the media/Obama news/propaganda, I'm sure they will discover that Obama actually healed 145 people and brought them back to life with his "gift."

post #19 of 112
I understand it is something to keep an eye on, but there is quite a bit of this going on right now:

I suppose the press don't have many scary stories to sell papers (yeah I'm old!) now that the economy angle is saturated...\
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #20 of 112
The Daily Show had a good clip of various news channels basically having panic fits and then saying they didn't want to cause panic. Very nicely done; could not (would not) have watched all the various networks meself.

post #21 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Regardless of what the truth may actually be, there's always Bachmann's take on things:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_192493.html

She can't even get her history right.

Why does she hate America so much?

Because she's un (The word "an" spoken in a deep southern hillbilly drawl.) American!
post #22 of 112
Who raises swine flu pandemic alert level to five?
post #23 of 112
Quote:

Who raises swine flu pandemic alert level to five?

They must need more funding.

post #24 of 112
post #25 of 112
Quote:

Shaun of the Dead

Good one, but my vote goes for Captain Trips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Trips

Quote:
A form of superflu (influenza), it originates in an American biological weapons laboratory under the Mojave Desert in California, commanded by a General William "Billy" Starkey, and is hinted to have been created by breeding a hybrid of influenza and an AIDS-like illness. 99.4% of the human population is vulnerable and the disease is universally and swiftly fatal to those that catch it.

Seriously though, I do think the world is much more likely to be ended by an accidentally (or purposely) released biological weapon than a nuclear holocaust...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #26 of 112
I'mma have to watch 12 Monkeys again.

And I Am Legend.

And Outbreak.

post #27 of 112

post #28 of 112
Quote:

No Andromeda Strain?

Only if it's the original, or the book!
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #29 of 112
Pandemic? Yes.

End of the world? Hardly.

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild

Quote:
In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.

post #30 of 112
If we follow Faux and other conservative programming, the flu is a Mexican invasion!

A nice collection of hot air here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uaK4ZXvClE

Kudlow, Boortz, Savage, others, IN THEIR OWN WORDS. It doesn't matter where I got the link from (as some would like us to believe), but the content of the clips.

post #31 of 112
Maybe the real point is that if we get all of our news from the Huffington Post, we will spend our days reading nothing but claims about Fox News.

post #32 of 112
Quote:

Maybe the real point is that if we get all of our news from the Huffington Post, we will spend our days reading nothing but claims about Fox News.

And if you limit yourself to one poster here, you'll get nothing but claims about a half hour, late night comedy show, on 4 nights a week.
post #33 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

And if you limit yourself to one poster here, you'll get nothing but claims about a half hour, late night comedy show, on 4 nights a week.

And from another, complaints about a certain "thought experiment".

post #34 of 112
Quote:

And from another, complaints about a certain "thought experiment".

No, asked if it was another "thought experiment", we know there was an original "thought experiment".

What's that old saying?
Something about fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
post #35 of 112
Interesting article just released... (extract below)

Quote:
The Times of London interviewed the mother of 4-year-old Edgar Hernandez of La Gloria in Veracruz, the location of the giant Smithfield Foods hog production facility. Their local reporter notes, Edgar Hernández plays among the dogs and goats that roam through the streets, seemingly unaware that the swine flu he contracted a few weeks ago the first known case has almost brought his country to a standstill and put the rest of the world on alert. I feel great, the five-year-old boy said. But I had a headache and a sore throat and a fever for a while. I had to lay down in bed.

The reporters add, It was confirmed on Monday (April 27 2009-w.e.) that Edgar was the first known sufferer of swine flu, a revelation that has put La Gloria and its surrounding factory pig farms and manure lagoons at the centre of a global race to find how this new and deadly strain of swine flu emerged. 6

Thats quite interesting. They speak of La Gloria and its surrounding factory pig farms and manure lagoons. Presumably the manure lagoons around the LaGloria factory pig farm of Smithfield Foods are the waste dumping place for the feces and urine waste from at least 950,000 pigs a year that pass through the facility. The Smithfields Mexico joint venture, Norson, states that alone they slaughter 2,300 pigs daily. Thats a lot. It gives an idea of the volumes of pig waste involved in the concentration facility at La Gloria.

Significantly, according to the Times reporters, residents of La Gloria have been complaining since March that the odour from Granjas Carrolls pig waste was causing severe respiratory infections. They held a demonstration this month at which they carried signs of pigs crossed with an X and marked with the word peligro (danger).7 There have been calls to exhume the bodies of the children who died of pneumonia so that they could be tested. The state legislature of Veracruz has demanded that Smithfields Granjas Carroll release documents about its waste-handling practices. Smithfield Foods reportedly declined to comment on the request, saying that it would not respond to rumours.8

A research compilation by Ed Harris reported, According to residents, the company denied responsibility for the outbreak and attributed the cases to flu. However, a municipal health official stated that preliminary investigations indicated that the disease vector was a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste and that the outbreak was linked to the pig farms.9 That would imply that the entire Swine Flu scare might have originated from the PR spin doctors of the worlds largest industrial pig factory farm operation, Smithfield Foods.

The Vera Cruz-based newspaper La Marcha blames Smithfields Granjos Carroll for the outbreak, highlighting inadequate treatment of massive quantities of animal waste from hog production.10

Understandably the company is perhaps more than a bit uncomfortable with the sudden attention. The company, which supplies the McDonalds and Subway fast-food chains, was fined $12.3 million in the United States 1997 for violating the Clean Water Act. Perhaps they are in a remote tiny Mexican rural area enjoying a relatively lax regulatory climate where they need not worry about being cited for violations of any Clean Water Act.

The article can be found here. Any epidemiologists amongst us here? Thoughts?
post #36 of 112
I haven't seen people dying in the streets, mass riots, looting, or martial law declared yet. Am I missing something?

post #37 of 112
Quote:

I haven't seen people dying in the streets, mass riots, looting, or martial law declared yet. Am I missing something?

No. Well maybe yes.

Swine-Flu Hysteria
post #38 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

No, asked if it was another "thought experiment", we know there was an original "thought experiment".

What's that old saying?
Something about fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

What is the saying for someone who bitches forever about being fooled?

post #39 of 112
We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!

4th Arizonan dies of Swine Flu

16 people in the U.S. have died. 108 worldwide.

The media has sensationalized the crap out of the Swine Flu story and has moved on to Sotomaior, North Korea, and anything and everything Obama.

post #40 of 112
Sure we can blame the media but at the same time the UN, WHO, DCD and Obama admin' stirred the pot. What better way to prove the need for your existence than to drum up some hysteria and fear?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic