or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic

Flu pandemic - Page 3

post #81 of 112

Obama needs something to distract from his war on fox news.
post #82 of 112
wag the dog
a weekly exercise
get used to it
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #83 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Obama needs something to distract from his war on fox news.

His what?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #84 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

wag the dog
a weekly exercise
get used to it

This sounds about right, it ought to be easy enough to get a simple "compared to the normal flu season last year" reading on this. But for some reason I'm not seeing this -- more like spook stories and hand waving: "oh it's really bad".

Really? I'm beginning to believe that politicians get paid to fear monger.

Forbes: The Pandemic if Political

FTA, and the WHO:

Quote:
Then let's form a new agency that sees disease as something to prevent and treat rather than something to exploit.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #85 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

This sounds about right, it ought to be easy enough to get a simple "compared to the normal flu season last year" reading on this. But for some reason I'm not seeing this -- more like spook stories and hand waving: "oh it's really bad".

Really? I'm beginning to believe that politicians get paid to fear monger.

Forbes: The Pandemic if Political

FTA, and the WHO:

http://www.heraldonline.com/front/story/1649150.html It is a bit old, but it does speak to numbers and at the time deadliness compared to H1N1. It is hard though to find any pieces with comparative numbers.

A few "hard facts": http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/surveillanceqa.htm
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #86 of 112
Here's one:

post #87 of 112
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/SwineFl...ahoo_pitchlist

H1N1 Flu Deaths triple after new Surveillance methods used to determine cause of death.

Some numbers for comparison from the Article:

Quote:
"I'm not sure how closely the public has been following the numbers -- 4,000 seems a small fraction of the 36,000 estimated to die of seasonal influenza each year, but these deaths are in younger people, so it may raise consciousness further," said Dr. George Rutherford, director of the University of California, San Francisco, Institute for Global Health. "Just because you haven't gotten to 36,000 doesn't mean it's not bad."

The portion they are focusing on is the age groups that are affected by the Flu. Keeping my eyes and ears open. More information keeps coming, and being revised and adjusted.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #88 of 112
One of the reasons (I assume) that there has been much concern (hysteria?) over H1N1 is supposedly higher fatality/mortality rate of it compared to the seasonal flu. So far the numbers are not looking so bad. Currently it is estimated that 22 million people (in the U.S.) have been infected with H1N1 (I've known several myself), and 3,900 have died.

While it is indeed terrible that those 3,900 have died. When looking at the broader picture and at what the current fatality rate is we get:

3,900 / 22,000,000 = 0.000177272727 or about 0.08%

So far this seems to be keeping in line with the history of the flu in general:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_fl...orical_context

The 1918 flu that everyone points to was, perhaps, exacerbated by other circumstances (possibly related to the conditions brought about by WWI) that do not apply today.

Of course it is early, so we will see. Thing can obviously change and accelerate. But so far the reality isn't living up to the hype.
post #89 of 112
This is a big failure of the Obama admin. I work at a hospital with pediatric immune suppressed patients. I can't get vaccinated. I get turned away because I'm low on the priority list.

Where was the leadership of the while house when we knew this massive pandemic was coming? Obviously Obama doesn't care about sick chidden and black people. What a racist child hating racist! Racist!
post #90 of 112
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...e-to-virus.ars

Quote:
Researchers have leveraged an open access database, sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, to examine how the proteins of the H1N1/S-OIV flu strain can trigger an immune response in individuals that have never been exposed to it.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #91 of 112
I finally got my vaccination but due to the poor planning of the White House there was no nasal vaccination, which I could have taken, and only shots which should be saved to people at greater risk.

I'm sure my more liberal forummates here are furious at Obama over this and will post as much very soon.
post #92 of 112
Newsflash:

Floorjack steps in dog turd : Obama personally to blame.
[CENTER]Recedite, plebes. Obesa cantavit![/CENTER]
[CENTER]Recedite, plebes. Obesa cantavit![/CENTER]
post #93 of 112
Oh I forgot. The president is only to blame when s/he is a republican. If s/he is a democrat then the last republican president is to blame.
post #94 of 112
FYI, I didn't get a flu shot (H1N1 or otherwise).

And - *gasp* - I haven't died from the flu, yet.

My wife didn't get one either. Still alive.

My 3 year old son didn't get one. Still alive.

Nobody we know has died from the flu, so apparently - germ-ridden and virus-infested as we are - we haven't fatally infected anyone.

What are your experiences with the "flu pandemic of 2009"?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #95 of 112
I didn't get a flu shot and I died.

I'm posting this from the great beyond and haunting all of you.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #96 of 112
I got both my flu shots and am still alive, so nyaaah!
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #97 of 112
My kids got half their flu shots and they half died. Plus they smell like bacon.
post #98 of 112
Mmmm...half death and bacon...

post #99 of 112
I have not gotten a flu shot in years. My kids got the nasal spray last week. My wife got nothing. Nobody is sick, and we have not died yet. But now that you mention it a bacon smell has been wafting about the house lately...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #100 of 112
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120703162.html

Flu Pandemic Could be mildest on record...
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #101 of 112
Guess we're still waiting for Captain Trips...
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Stuff
post #102 of 112

post #103 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Study: At Its Worst, H1N1 Only Slightly More Serious Than Seasonal Flu

Obama declared a national emergency for this?

But, if he had not, think of the millions that would have died. Flu bugs are susceptible to national emergency declarations. The moment he did it, half the flu viruses were wiped out.

I think he overreacted a bit, but I am just waiting for him to go back to the pharmacies that did not deliver the vaccines they promised and negotiate a giant refund. That would send a message that I could get behind.

"You failed to live up to your obligations and there are repercussions when that happens."
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #104 of 112

post #105 of 112
AstraZeneca Recalls 4.7 Million Swine Flu Spray Doses

Why is this not being picked up by all the major news outlets (yet)? I heard about this on the radio and I had to dig in Google News for it.

4.7 million doses recalled?! How many of those doses have already been administered?

This whole H1N1 initiative has the government's fingerprints all over it. Witness the failure.

Do you want these people running your healthcare?

post #106 of 112
Quote:

AstraZeneca Recalls 4.7 Million Swine Flu Spray Doses

Why is this not being picked up by all the major news outlets (yet)? I heard about this on the radio and I had to dig in Google News for it.

4.7 million doses recalled?! How many of those doses have already been administered?

This whole H1N1 initiative has the government's fingerprints all over it. Witness the failure.

Do you want these people running your healthcare?

I saw this on the news here in Hawaii right along side of them crying that Obama has to hold off on his visit until the health care bill is finished.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #107 of 112
Here's an article on how the predictions were way off to begin with.

Swine Flu Count Plagued by Flawed Data
post #108 of 112
It sure is a good thing Obama declared a national emergency. He has saved us all!

post #109 of 112
Quote:

It sure is a good thing Obama declared a national emergency. He has saved us all!

Yeah, he should have acted like the Chinese government did with SARS!
post #110 of 112
WHO Decides H1N1 Pandemic Is Over

Obama has saved the world, once again.

And I didn't even have to get immunized.

post #111 of 112
Quote:

WHO Decides H1N1 Pandemic Is Over

Obama has saved the world, once again.

And I didn't even have to get immunized.

The tail is done wagging the dog. Can we have the keys back now?
post #112 of 112
I'm not going tell all the alarmist sheeple that believe everything they hear in the media "I told you so"...

Oh, what the heck:

I TOLD YOU SO!

Ah, that felt pretty nice. Good practice for the aftermath of the 2010 and 2012 elections.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Flu pandemic