or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored in talks for Verizon budget phone, media tablet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple rumored in talks for Verizon budget phone, media tablet

post #1 of 95
Thread Starter 
The heat is stepping up for AT&T with word of negotiations to bring an Apple budget phone and a media tablet to Verizon, one of which may show its face within just a few months.

Already rumored chatting with Apple over an iPhone for 2010, Verizon is now claimed by BusinessWeek to have been in discussions for at least six months to bring the two mystery devices to its network, one of which could be ready as early as the summer while both are reportedly in the prototype stage.

The first is simply characterized as an "iPhone lite" and would be a physically smaller, thinner and feature-reduced version of Apple's distinctive handset. It would achieve the effect by using a system-on-a-chip -- a processor that combines its necessary graphics core, controllers and other components on a single chip package -- and would let Apple "blow away" the profit margins on the existing iPhone as well as the Verizon-exclusive BlackBerry Storm, according to one of the magazine's sources.

The second device is potentially more revolutionary and appears to be the tablet-like device first leaked by AppleInsider a year and a half ago. It's envisioned as a "media pad" with HD video, music and photos, but it would also allow calls over Wi-Fi. Purportedly, it's smaller than the Amazon Kindle in overall size but has a larger touchscreen, suggesting the absence of a physical keyboard. One of the tipsters also believes it may use the same system-on-a-chip technology as the mini iPhone to keep costs down.

A description such as this matches more than one report of Apple ordering batches of 10-inch touchscreens from Taiwan. Whatever its actual features, the purported eyewitness of a prototype tablet is excited about it and envisions Verizon dominating a relatively undeveloped segment overnight.

"The media pad category might go to Verizon," the viewer says. "We are talking about a device where people will say, 'Damn, why didn't we do this?' Apple is probably going to define the damn category."

While the accuracy of the product descriptions isn't known, Verizon's wireless chief Lowell McAdam has recently confirmed that he has spoken with Apple's Steve Jobs. The iPhone maker's co-founder is rumored to have been directly involved with the negotiations and, supposedly, would have already talked with McAdam about at least the economy "iPhone-like" device.

Either potentially flies in the face of Apple's own public statements on its support for Verizon's network, which until its move to 4G won't be interoperable with AT&T's. On the subject of a CDMA iPhone, Apple COO and acting CEO Tim Cook swatted aside the possibility by claiming there's no long-term life in the format and that it made the prospect of selling one device worldwide difficult. The executive also praised the existing relationship with AT&T.

Still, it's difficult at this stage to determine how much of even Apple's public statements are accurate. The company has been known in the past to use dismissive talk as a feint until a product is ready, such as for the first video-capable iPod and the original iPhone. The magazine also speculates that Apple may use talks with Verizon as a bargaining chip to squeeze more concessions out of AT&T, which itself has been pushing for iPhone exclusivity through 2011.

Appropriately, the report has any possible Apple-Verizon deal relatively distant and maintains that the discussions only got hot in the recent past -- complicating any predictions about a likely release date.
post #2 of 95
Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 95
Oh my frackin gawd!

So Apple can't sell iphones that work on verizon....at least not yet. Ok fine.

Hows about Apple circumventing that AT&T exclusivity deal by developing totally new mobile devices that are NOT iphones?
Ya know, I was foolin around with that idea but didn't pay it any mind until now.

iTablet
iphone nano.

Its actually gonna happen!

All the naysayers can not be found because they have all shrunk into microscopic size!!
post #4 of 95
An iPhone Lite that is considerably lesser than the iPhone that AT&T sells in all major areas is the only way I can see Verizon getting it. Mainly because it would mean that Apple found a loophole in the contract or it's a device that AT&T wouldn't feel threatened by.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!

I can't imagine any such device that doesn't have a connection to a carrier. Since it will be larger than a phone, I think going the route of Apple's original Airport card with a proprietary slot might work. You can buy the GSM/WCDMA or the CDMA/CDMA2000 card for it. Perhaps even a subsidy from the carrier if you go through them with contract.

Though, I don't expect either of these to appear. I think the MacBook Mini, Apple's expensive "netbook" that they'll never refer to as a netbook, is more likely.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 95
Quote:
All the naysayers can not be found because they have all shrunk into microscopic size!!

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #6 of 95
I'll believe it when I see it
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
Reply
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
Reply
post #7 of 95
You may never know, hopefully Apple focuses its iPhone on its key wireless provider AT&T. I have a 16GB iPhone 3G and I'm happy with AT&T's service. This may be just speculation, only time will tell.
post #8 of 95
I don't know about all this.. I would be *FURIOUS* if Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon that is is some half-ass cheapo version of the "real" iPhone.

Other issues:

- There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

- Why would a tablet even come up in reference to Verizon if it doesn't have normal phone functionality or at least a built-in EVDO 3G data card?
post #9 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

Maybe we'll finally get to see the fruits of the P.A. Semi purchase.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see

lol
post #11 of 95
Apple is likely to say everything is good with AT&T and they have no reason to change the relationship till they have everything else signed and ready to go on the market. They like their secrecy and to do otherwise might cause people to put off purchases till the new carrier (and likely newer product) is available. It's the same reason they do not pre-announce computers. There may be a month or two between the announcement and availability but not much more than that.
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I don't know about all this.. I would be *FURIOUS* if Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon that is is some half-ass cheapo version of the "real" iPhone.

Other issues:

- There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

- Why would a tablet even come up in reference to Verizon if it doesn't have normal phone functionality or at least a built-in EVDO 3G data card?

I would be pissed off at an iPhone lite myself. I want a full featured, top of the line iPhone on verizon. I would switch carriers in a second.

The media pad could have a subsidy from verizon and come in at a netbook price ($199-$299). This way apple appeases the netbook market. Chances are though that this will not be running snow leopard but a modified version of the iPhone OS.
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

I don't know about all this.. I would be *FURIOUS* if Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon that is is some half-ass cheapo version of the "real" iPhone.

Other issues:

- There is nothing new with using a "system-on-a-chip". EVERY cellphone on the market uses one. It simply refers to having the basic components of the system all on one integrated chip like the processor core(s), memory, graphics controller, network capabilities, and I/O system.

- Why would a tablet even come up in reference to Verizon if it doesn't have normal phone functionality or at least a built-in EVDO 3G data card?

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convenient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.
Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling. But I could be wrong.

Ya think Apple didn't put a whole lot of thought into this? And of course there is the iTablet. The fantasy product that will soon become real.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW SUCKAS!!
post #14 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convinient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.
Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling.

Ya think Apple didn't put a whole lot of thought into this? And of course there is the iTablet. The fantasy product that will soon become real.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW!!

I don't see how such a device can be smaller considering all of the apps for the iPhone OS are designed around having a 3.5" touchscreen. Fiddling with that size would make many apps incompatible and just a headache for developers.

There will be no "nano" iPhone that compromises on it's core features. And because there are a LOT of features that go into making an iPhone-type product (like the iPod Touch for instance), I really don't see a "nano" iPhone happening. It's more likely that Apple would consider selling older iPhones with greater profit margins than to make up an entirely new product line. There's already enough products below the $299 mark as is without complicating things further.
post #15 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Your kidding me......right? Tell me your kidding. This is APPLE we're talking about here. The iphone nano will not be inferior. Its gonna be a different animal. It will not be like a regular iphone but its gonna have features that make it unique and make a person appreciate it for being small and very convenient. Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.
Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling. But I could be wrong.

Ya think Apple didn't put a whole lot of thought into this? And of course there is the iTablet. The fantasy product that will soon become real.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MACTOUCH FTW SUCKAS!!

Apple isn't readying a device 18-24 months in advance of 2011.
post #16 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I would be pissed off at an iPhone lite myself. I want a full featured, top of the line iPhone on verizon. I would switch carriers in a second.

The media pad could have a subsidy from verizon and come in at a netbook price ($199-$299). This way apple appeases the netbook market. Chances are though that this will not be running snow leopard but a modified version of the iPhone OS.

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).
That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with Apple.
And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.
post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Its probably not gonna be a tiny iphone that is compatible with all the app store apps.
Something tells me new apps will have to be written for it. Thats my gut feeling.

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple isn't readying a device 18-24 months in advance of 2011.

Not talking about 4G iphones here. We are talking about mobile devices that are NOT iphones that can certainly be debuted this June.
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.

Lets see what did I have for dinner.
On a low carb wrap heated til it was just slightly crispy....baked chicken strips which I massaged in olive oil and garlic and rosemary, stir fried bulb scallions with shitake mushrooms, sliced avacado.
For a side I quickly chopped a potato into wedges which I also lightly covered with olive oil and topped with spicy cumin and cayenne......baked crisp to perfection in 15 min on "broil". When I'm hungry I cook.

A generous dose of hot sauce on the baked "fries" and dinner was served. Ya know.............it really coulda been gas. =/
Still enjoyed it though!
post #20 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).
That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with AT&T.
And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.

1) AT&T isn't launching their "4G" network until 2011.
2) Apple is unlikely to use brand new "4G" chipsets in a device in 2010, probably citing battery life concerns. Same reasoning Apple used in 2007 with the original iPhone not having 3G, and proven when the iPhone 3G had *gasp* less battery life.
3) A company like Apple isn't going to roll out a device on an unproven network infrastructure. It's just bound to cause problems.

If anything, I'd expect a 4G iPhone maybe 2011, 2012 at the latest. Apple can afford to wait as long as it wants to because, AT&T's 3G HSPA+ network will still be quite competitive with whatever Verizon's LTE network will have in 2010. Since speed is all that matters for most people (not the actual technology used), most people won't really care whether they're on 3G, 4G, or 10G.
post #21 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.

Neither AT&T nor Verizon will have a viable LTE network next year. AT&T has no plans to even start putting one up for years. The iPhone 3G currently has HSDPA, the next one will likely have HSUPA. Next year it will likely have faster HSUPA radios and in 1-3 years get HSPA+, depending on such chips are available with a workable size and efficiency, and when AT&T gets it up and running. There is so much more life in "3G", we are just at the beginning of it all.

For a point of reference, 3GPP still hasn't finished the LTE standards and the HSUPA that the iPhone should be getting this year now that technology is viable was ratified by the 3GPP in 2004. It's going to be awhile until there are cellphones with LTE chips, yet people will complain this summer when it doesn't happen.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Realize people that there will be no iphone for verizon until the generation AFTER the one announced in June. The exclusivity deal with AT&T lasts until 2010 and the negotiations with Verizon about the real iphone on their network (not these 2 new devices being discussed here) won't happen until 2010 (at the earliest).
That is if and only if Verizon is able to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with AT&T.
And furthermore that new iphone next year will most likely be a 4G iphone to coincide with 4G network launches from both AT&T and Verizon.

I already know all of this but if these rumors are true it will leave me just short of what I want. I live in NYC and AT&T sucks compared to Verizon in coverage. My contract ends in July. If an iphone lite is offered it would force me to continue with AT&T. I want all the new features offered in OS 3.0 andnot a hamstrung version for Verizon.

I can assure that apple wants to end the exclusive deals. The iPhone will have high market penetration if it is only on one carrier. There is no deal that AT&T can offer that will compensate for this.
post #23 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That may not be your gut, it may just be gas.

I guess they could make a purchase of an app for one iPhone be available for you if you get the other iPhone if you switch carriers, and I guess they could make the SDK compile for both types at once, but there is still so much for the developer to do to ft for different displays and other HW. But more importantly, I can't see Apple with their mindset to make a new device that requires a completely different App Store and apps.

Same App store but just a different section. Two new sections will be needed in fact. One for the nano and one for the tablet.
The iTunes (terrible name now) sections sorely needs a reorganization anyway.
post #24 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

1) AT&T isn't launching their "4G" network until 2011.
2) Apple is unlikely to use brand new "4G" chipsets in a device in 2010, probably citing battery life concerns. Same reasoning Apple used in 2007 with the original iPhone not having 3G, and proven when the iPhone 3G had *gasp* less battery life.
3) A company like Apple isn't going to roll out a device on an unproven network infrastructure. It's just bound to cause problems.

If anything, I'd expect a 4G iPhone maybe 2011, 2012 at the latest. Apple can afford to wait as long as it wants to because, AT&T's 3G HSPA+ network will still be quite competitive with whatever Verizon's LTE network will have in 2010. Since speed is all that matters for most people (not the actual technology used), most people won't really care whether they're on 3G, 4G, or 10G.

AT the end of my post I meant Verizon needs to stop AT&T from signing an extended exclusivity deal with Apple. I just corrected it.

LOL I said AT&T with AT&T.
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Neither AT&T nor Verizon will have a viable LTE network next year. AT&T has no plans to even start putting one up for years. The iPhone 3G currently has HSDPA, the next one will likely have HSUPA. Next year it will likely have faster HSUPA radios and in 1-3 years get HSPA+, depending on such chips are available with a workable size and efficiency, and when AT&T gets it up and running. There is so much more life in "3G", we are just at the beginning of it all.

For a point of reference, 3GPP still hasn't finished the LTE standards and the HSUPA that the iPhone should be getting this year now that technology is viable was ratified by the 3GPP in 2004. It's going to be awhile until there are cellphones with LTE chips, yet people will complain this summer when it doesn't happen.

The talk is that the Apple negotiations with Verizon might be a move not only to get a better deal with AT&T but to encourage AT&T to accelerate their mobile plans. AT&T might not have a choice but to do so. I hope this is a kick in the backsides of AT&T.
post #26 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I already know all of this but if these rumors are true it will leave me just short of what I want. I live in NYC and AT&T sucks compared to Verizon in coverage. My contract ends in July. If an iphone lite is offered it would force me to continue with AT&T. I want all the new features offered in OS 3.0 andnot a hamstrung version for Verizon.

I can assure that apple wants to end the exclusive deals. The iPhone will have high market penetration if it is only on one carrier. There is no deal that AT&T can offer that will compensate for this.

Your still assuming the iphone nano is going to be some gimped iphone. It might very well be a totally new device with its own merits.
Regardless though, its probably not going to have access to the regular app store apps which you want.

I hear ya. Hey, all of this is Verizon's fault. If that idiot Verizon exec hadn't refused the iphone you wouldn't be feeling it right now. Verizon is struggling now just to be able to say they will have the iphone in 2010.....if they are lucky. Verizon is moving like lightning I bet to get their 4G network up on schedule.
My gut....(burp) feeling says it will be a late 2010 4G network launch in selected cities.
post #27 of 95
This Verizon rumor is being beaten like a rented mule. It's not going to happen. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to pull a stunt like that with AT&T. And they are certainly not going to make some kind of "crippled" iPhone for Verizon in order to please AT&T. It's not their style. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.

Hold your breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.
post #28 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

The talk is that the Apple negotiations with Verizon might be a move not only to get a better deal with AT&T but to encourage AT&T to accelerate their mobile plans. AT&T might not have a choice but to do so. I hope this is a kick in the backsides of AT&T.

There is still no reason to move to 4G. They standard will be ratified this year, there will probably be some pre-release next year at CES of an LTE USB or EC/34 card, whcih probably won't be released in the US. Then other companies will follow. There will be some test areas of LTE and the larger smart phones that get LTE well before Verizon or AT&T has any substantial coverage. This will also be well before the IPhone, one of the smallest smartphones available, gets it.

The technology is just to far ahead to even consider that. Pushing AT&T to up their 3G coverage, their up/down speeds and per node throughput is much more important for the next 5 years.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #29 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This Verizon rumor is being beaten like a rented mule. It's not going to happen. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to pull a stunt like that with AT&T. And they are certainly not going to make some kind of "crippled" iPhone for Verizon in order to please AT&T. It's not their style. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.

Hold you're breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.

No. Its not going to be a crippled iphone. Apple doesn't make a crippled (as in crappy) product.
This new device(s) will most probably be sold on AT&T as well. Its just that it will also be available on Verizon.
post #30 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is still no reason to move to 4G. They standard will be ratified this year, there will probably be some pre-release next year at CES of an LTE USB or EC/34 card, whcih probably won't be released in the US. Then other companies will follow. There will be some test areas of LTE and the larger smart phones that get LTE well before Verizon or AT&T has any substantial coverage. This will also be well before the IPhone, one of the smallest smartphones available, gets it.

The technology is just to far ahead to even consider that. Pushing AT&T to up their 3G coverage, their up/down speeds and per node throughput is much more important for the next 5 years.

Nah man. Can't you feel the heat out there? Competition is getting ridiculous now. Expect 4G and 4G devices by mid to late next year from various carriers and manufacturers.

EDIT: Bah, I'm going to bed. I'll argue...errm...debate some more tomorrow.
post #31 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Bleh. Give me the Pad without the phone company... just like the iPod touch. $%&@!!!

Amen. I really want this Data Tablet without the Cell phone. Cell phones are over rated plus annoying. I do most of my communication by data anyway....

My 2 cents...
post #32 of 95
1. a consumer electronics company will always expand R&D investments from a top-of-the-line product (iphone) and exclusive distribution... to spin offs at lower price points for the mass market. it is a given. (See Japanese companies late 70's to end of world)

2. A logical expansion of distribution always follows an introductory exclusive offer in consumer electronics (see ATT). A qualified product category from top down..with, proper marketing... can only grow into a mass market company that apple so proudly changed their name to tell you (see Sony 1980's)

3. The media device is finally coming... and has been worked on for 1.5 years and will not be at all like a net book computer (Apple could have done that two years ago) but will replace some usefulness of both the phone and computer while adding some mobile features and convenience not appreciated in any CE device YET.... and be connected to all wireless carriers via their own plans who want to sell it.... Later on, after being rolled out with ATT.. and maybe the next logical retailer in the USA.. Veriz..
(see expansion of ipod to mass market).

4. the media device is going to be priced for the mass market out of the gate.. with production ramp up defining the expansion to multiple carriers.. it is a given..

5. Steve Jobs will want to introduce the new Media device.. It will be fantastic if he is able to do so!
post #33 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This Verizon rumor is being beaten like a rented mule. It's not going to happen. It makes absolutely no sense for Apple to pull a stunt like that with AT&T. And they are certainly not going to make some kind of "crippled" iPhone for Verizon in order to please AT&T. It's not their style. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.

Hold your breath until the June announcement. I'm sure someone will be there to catch you.

I disagree. Verizon has the most subscibers of any carrier and has the best coverage. AT&T would have lost subscribers this quarter if not for the iPhone. AT&T no longer has anything to offer Apple. Any revenue share would not compensate for the amount of subscribers lost by only having one carrier. You would also have to consider the loss off App Store sales as well.

The main goal of the iPhone is to have the dominant share as the ipod does. It can only happen if it is available on multiple carriers. The software now is the most important aspect of the phone now. People are less likely to switch phone OS's if they are going to lose the software they purchased. It is imperative that Apple saturate the market as quickly as possible so people will get into the App Store before the other OS's solidify theirs.

Another advantage is that there will be more competitve pricing and less controversies surrounding apps and their ability to access the data network (ie: slingbox). If conceivably t-mobile got the iPhone as well, they could possibly allow skype over data which would allow them a competitive advantage.

Multiple carriers could only help the future of the iPhone.
post #34 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe we'll finally get to see the fruits of the P.A. Semi purchase.

Fingers crossed.

I bet this media thingy is the next big thing in gaming, even if inadvertently.
post #35 of 95
This is all a smokescreen to camouflage what's really going on. No way Apple does any kind of deal with Verizon any time soon.

No way, no how.
post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to wait and see

Hopenso. AT&T has been raping us with data and text plans and no teether althhuog it can be done, but officially they willnrapenus. Time for alternative. I see a net book with a decent data plan teether and having abiity to watch MLB or Hume while making calls.

All good. Hope it happen. A better device to bring to toilet. LOL. Even better if you can dick with a device fir more CPU GPU performance. Something you can add to any mac for more power. Long live macs.
post #37 of 95
I would bet the media tablet will not be exclusive to verizon, both att and verizon will subsidize it....I also would say the obvious, it will definitely have a 3g sim card/laptop style modem, otherwise it is just a big ipod touch and there would be no reason for verizon or att to sell it.

the iphone nano for verizon (or what ever you want to call it)I doubt will be available before January. and if such a product does exist it will still have a 3.5 inch screen, it will just be trimmed down.....there is absolutely no way apple will relese the iphone nano or a media tablet with out 100% compatibility with the current app store. The app store success is now driving all product releases for the foreseeable future. 1 billion downloads in a year...wow!

the interesting part will be to see how apple scales up the applications for the media tablet.
post #38 of 95
My Verizon contract is up in Sept and wouldn't this be fantastic to get an iPad.
post #39 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

. Does anyone remember the "Rokr"?? Apple doesn't do crippled devices.

That's not to say they are going to introduce variants of the iPhone or a tablet. It's just not going to go to another mobile telecom - at least not in the U.S.


Rokr was a Motorola device not Apple.
MacBookAir and AppleTV are both crippled Appled devices.
Having said that:
Bring on the Verizon iPad!
post #40 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Nah man. Can't you feel the heat out there? Competition is getting ridiculous now. Expect 4G and 4G devices by mid to late next year from various carriers and manufacturers.

EDIT: Bah, I'm going to bed. I'll argue...errm...debate some more tomorrow.

For the sake of argument, what does it take to build out a network? Can you say why a 3G network can not use 2G equipment. Obviously you have some insight that others are missing and maybe you can explain how networks are built and why it will be done so quickly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored in talks for Verizon budget phone, media tablet