or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › stalled startup iMac 24" aluminum

stalled startup iMac 24" aluminum

post #1 of 2
My iMac 24" core2duo 2.8Ghz, 1GB ram, 500GB drive stalls on startup at the grey apple logo with the spinning timer with the timer freezing and the system never starts up. This began during an install of VirtualBox software. I've done an Archive and Install which initially seemed to fix it but after a shutdown/restart, it is still no good. Have removed the VirtualBox software but still no good. Hardware check (start & hold 'D') says is OK (did short & long versions to be sure) I can start in Safe Mode so I presumably can remove files to external drive (though Time Machine should have looked after that anyway; haven't checked yet)
So I'm still stymied. Do these symptoms ring a bell with someone? Failing hard drive maybe? (but hardware check says is OK) I live in a rural location so easy access to service isn't so easy.
Thanks for your ideas.
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsolo View Post

My iMac 24" core2duo 2.8Ghz, 1GB ram, 500GB drive stalls on startup at the grey apple logo with the spinning timer with the timer freezing and the system never starts up. This began during an install of VirtualBox software. I've done an Archive and Install which initially seemed to fix it but after a shutdown/restart, it is still no good. Have removed the VirtualBox software but still no good. Hardware check (start & hold 'D') says is OK (did short & long versions to be sure) I can start in Safe Mode so I presumably can remove files to external drive (though Time Machine should have looked after that anyway; haven't checked yet)
So I'm still stymied. Do these symptoms ring a bell with someone? Failing hard drive maybe? (but hardware check says is OK) I live in a rural location so easy access to service isn't so easy.
Thanks for your ideas.

It seems that virtualbox may have messed up your folder permissions. Try a clean reinstall from your time machine and next time stay away from virtualbox or anything related to windows.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › stalled startup iMac 24" aluminum