or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 8.2 beta hints at support of Gracenote's video platform

iTunes 8.2 beta hints at support of Gracenote's video platform - Page 4

post #121 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrod182 View Post

Gracenote video is for DVD only maybe...BR would cannibalize apples HD iTunes effort, I seriously doubt they will be offering even a BTO option any time soon, especially not in any of the mobile platforms.

It's disconcerting to me how many no-brainer multimedia features Apple's products are lacking due to their position as a content salesman. We as Mac and Apple product users are suffering because of it.
post #122 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

It's disconcerting to me how many no-brainer multimedia features Apple's products are lacking due to their position as a content salesman. We as Mac and Apple product users are suffering because of it.

Most iTunes HD video purchases occur on a Windows operating system, where Blu-ray is an option. I think it is more likely that they are just waiting for Blu-ray to become important to more people and for the costs to come down somewhat. A slot loading Blu-ray drive that would fit in a MBP is likely still expensive right now. I expect to see Blu-ray support on Snow Leopard as an added incentive. I guess we will find out soon enough.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #123 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Most iTunes HD video purchases occur on a Windows operating system, where Blu-ray is an option. I think it is more likely that they are just waiting for Blu-ray to become important to more people and for the costs to come down somewhat. A slot loading Blu-ray drive that would fit in a MBP is likely still expensive right now. I expect to see Blu-ray support on Snow Leopard as an added incentive. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I don't believe it's a cost or adoption factor. Just ask Phil "all the HD you ever need is on iTunes" Schiller.

When you consider how Apple used to be at the forefront of technology adoption, Blu-Ray support in Macs is long overdue. Comparably priced PCs have had Blu-Ray drives built in for more than a year now, while Apple's still giving us superdrives that are a dime a dozen (I exaggerate). It's downright bothersome that the company who supplies my professional video editing suite is trying to dictate how I watch my movies and therefore denying me the ability to author (or even watch) Blu-Ray discs.

By not giving video professionals the ability to make Blu-ray's, Apple's intentionally stagnating Blu-Ray adoption and then blaming adoption numbers as an excuse not to support it. Unless they're going to start letting everyone host their HD films on iTunes for clients, friends and family to view, this situation only benefits Apple.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iTunes 8.2 beta hints at support of Gracenote's video platform