or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › NVIDIA prepping GeForce GTX 285 for Mac Pro

NVIDIA prepping GeForce GTX 285 for Mac Pro - Page 3

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithanius View Post

Well that's the thing I'm talking about, since you wanna compare Apples and Oranges with your PCI and AGP analogy, and if you can't comprehend what I've just said, don't...! Because you've just turn the thread upside down with all your pathetic component comparison.

When you start making silly statements about selling components as you did, then we should see exactly which components you are trying to sell. There are only the few I mentioned. Instead of being so smart about it, you could respond directly.

Quote:
Six months in my perspective... I bought mine for 6 months before they abandoned it for a superior PCI-e v2.... And now Apple's pact with nVidia and ATI does not provide any upgrade option to the 1st gen Mac Pro, simply because the latter only uses PCI-e v2 with EFI64 ROM. AppleCare's not helping either, so I've wrote my case directly to Apple's Customer Care instead, but all I met is silence. Local AASP quoted me $550 for a piece of outdated 8800GT when Apple Store is selling it at an already expensive $279. Imagine 6 months, and you're dead in a water.

This is what I'm talking about... I'm not talking about value, I'm talking about upgradeability options. But if value is what you treasure most, how can that hold up if older Mac Pros are not given any chance of compatibility or upgrade options...? You tell me... am I exaggerating...? And I bet you don't even own one...

You are not the customer for this machine.

This is a commercial workstation, not a consumer machine. Customers for these machines, by and large, keep them for a while, for a specific purpose. They don't worry about upgrades. They buy new ones when the old machine is no longer meeting their needs.

It's also not Apple's fault that you bought the machine 6 months before a new standard for the industry was introduced. Do you feel as though it's only Apple's customers who buy a machine shortly before new machines come out that obsolete them? I'm trying to point out that this happens everywhere, and you just want to pin this on Apple.

We all know that Apple's graphics board selection sucks. Few people here have ever denied that, except for one or two.

I don't see how you're dead in the water though. Not upgrading to a newer board doesn't mean you're dead in the water.

Earlier, I was trying to point out that this is nothing new for the entire industry, but you don't want to hear. You just get nasty when it's pointed out.

You'll bet what? You don't know anything about this site, or the people in it obviously. You certainly don't know anything about me. That's obvious too.
post #82 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When you start making silly statements about selling components as you did, then we should see exactly which components you are trying to sell. There are only the few I mentioned. Instead of being so smart about it, you could respond directly.

You are not the customer for this machine.

This is a commercial workstation, not a consumer machine. Customers for these machines, by and large, keep them for a while, for a specific purpose. They don't worry about upgrades. They buy new ones when the old machine is no longer meeting their needs.

It's also not Apple's fault that you bought the machine 6 months before a new standard for the industry was introduced. Do you feel as though it's only Apple's customers who buy a machine shortly before new machines come out that obsolete them? I'm trying to point out that this happens everywhere, and you just want to pin this on Apple.

We all know that Apple's graphics board selection sucks. Few people here have ever denied that, except for one or two.

I don't see how you're dead in the water though. Not upgrading to a newer board doesn't mean you're dead in the water.

Earlier, I was trying to point out that this is nothing new for the entire industry, but you don't want to hear. You just get nasty when it's pointed out.

You'll bet what? You don't know anything about this site, or the people in it obviously. You certainly don't know anything about me. That's obvious too.

Not dead in the water...? Mine's just shy of 2 years, and already obsolete from technologies like CUDA and OpenCL... And Apple expects me to pay another $4,300 just for an updated piece of technology, and then get obsolete again in less than 2 years for some future industry's standards...? Yes I'm pinning this on Apple. Why do you get so serious about it...? You work for Apple...?
post #83 of 91
Quote:

Not dead in the water...? Mine's just shy of 2 years, and already obsolete from technologies like CUDA and OpenCL... And Apple expects me to pay another $4,300 just for an updated piece of technology, and then get obsolete again in less than 2 years for some future industry's standards...? Yes I'm pinning this on Apple. Why do you get so serious about it...? You work for Apple...?

Your board will work with Open CL. Cuda may not work on the Mac at all, we don't know yet. We do know that Open CL will work with both theirs and ATI's boards.

As far as being serious, well, have you read your own posts?

How about stop being so lazy, and go read my bio?
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your board will work with Open CL. Cuda may not work on the Mac at all, we don't know yet. We do know that Open CL will work with both theirs and ATI's boards.

As far as being serious, well, have you read your own posts?

How about stop being so lazy, and go read my bio?

Who wants to run OpenCL on a passively-cooled board...? nVidia already prep Cuda drivers for OS X, it's just a matter of Apple utilise either this or OpenCL, I bet the latter with Snow Kitty. But to plunge my wallet onto an obsolete-yet-$-unworthy cards such as the 8800GT and the Radeon 3870 is absurd and illogical.

No doubt I'm serious about my posts, why do you care about what I wrote...? And I don't even care to read your bio, not that I'm interested in you anyway.
post #85 of 91
Quote:

Who wants to run OpenCL on a passively-cooled board...? nVidia already prep Cuda drivers for OS X, it's just a matter of Apple utilise either this or OpenCL, I bet the latter with Snow Kitty. But to plunge my wallet onto an obsolete-yet-$-unworthy cards such as the 8800GT and the Radeon 3870 is absurd and illogical.

I'm not telling you t buy an old board. but it is what it is. Most newer Express 2 boards don't work in older Express 1 machines.

Quote:
No doubt I'm serious about my posts, why do you care about what I wrote...? And I don't even care to read your bio, not that I'm interested in you anyway.

You're not as serious as you think you are as much as you are insistent upon your complaints.

Personally, as you are not particulary friendly, I don't really care that much about you either, but other readers might think that your whiney opinion might make some slight sense, and so that why I've responded.

Since you made some dumb remarks about me, which you didn't need to do, and doubted my qualifications, I suggested you learn something, but you seen to have no interest in learning anything.

I'm sure no one will will wait with baited breath for you to come back again if you continue on in this vein of statements about someone who disagrees with you.
post #86 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Wouldn't a card with an EFI-32 firmware work on both EFI-32 and EFI-64 systems? Why not just make all the cards with EFI-32 firmware then?

Also, why the hell did Apple use EFI-32 on the 2006 Mac Pro? It's a 64 bit sysem... o.O

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you put an EFI firmware on an EFI-64 card, wouldn't that slow the performance of an EFI-64 card???
post #87 of 91
Hi Guys, just to let you know I found the eVGA card for sale from provantage today. (I posted this in other forums too so don't bash me for spreading the love. )

The price is $436.66. Manufacturer Part# 01G-P3-1080-TR

Link

Now I just need to decide between this (supporting vendors that make official products is always a plus right!) and flashing a PC 4870 since the Apple version is way overpriced and only has 512MB or memory.

Note: other world computing (OWC), bottom line telecom, alrightdeals, etc. are selling them now too but provantage is the cheapest.
It seems that OWC claims a 19 day waiting period before shipping and I bet the others are the same.

It also seems that the 2006 Mac Pro owners (like myself) may have to resort to flashing as all sites claim 2008 Mac Pro or newer and we know what Nvidia did with the 8800GT. I'm hoping eVGA will change the game and act like ATI by placing the few extra KB we need in the ROM file.
post #88 of 91
Quote:

No. We're all wrong. It's just Melgross that is right.

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. Get used to be obselete. That's the way Apple does things. I'm just stating a fact. No. Wait. I'm starting to sound like...

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #89 of 91
Quote:
You're not as serious as you think you are as much as you are insistent upon your complaints.

Personally, as you are not particulary friendly, I don't really care that much about you either, but other readers might think that your whiney opinion might make some slight sense, and so that why I've responded.

Since you made some dumb remarks about me, which you didn't need to do, and doubted my qualifications, I suggested you learn something, but you seen to have no interest in learning anything.

I'm sure no one will will wait with baited breath for you to come back again if you continue on in this vein of statements about someone who disagrees with you.

Personally. I think he should stick around. He thinks Apple charges too much for their 'Workstations' (pssst. PC quad towers with the same performance can be had for half as much...) And do silly little things with the 'upgrade' path so they can gouge the poor dear for another £1895 a couple of years late.

Wait. No. Better leave actually. It's not like we have any truck with differing opinions around here. Especially not in the land of the 'free'.

Lemon Bon Bon.

'We all know that Apple's graphics board selection sucks.' Copy that line into your next post and you can agree with Melgross about something. You'll be welcome with open arms. We can all think the same way. It'll be great.

post #90 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

No. We're all wrong. It's just Melgross that is right.

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. Get used to be obselete. That's the way Apple does things. I'm just stating a fact. No. Wait. I'm starting to sound like...

Despite your attempt at a joke, the point I'm making is that it isn't just Apple that's at fault here. The PC industry in general has the same problems, and has had them every time a new bus, or an update to a bus comes out.

I gave some of that history with graphics standards earlier, but it was made light of, because the poster simply didn't want to acknowledge it, and just wanted to complain about Apple.

Don't continue that same mistake.

I've also mentioned that I'm not happy about it either. I would like it if Apple could find a way to support those slightly older machines, but it's basically standard industry practice.

No matter how long Apple has a machine out, people who bought it in the last year or two are going to complain about lack of support for new cards.
post #91 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Personally. I think he should stick around. He thinks Apple charges too much for their 'Workstations' (pssst. PC quad towers with the same performance can be had for half as much...) And do silly little things with the 'upgrade' path so they can gouge the poor dear for another £1895 a couple of years late.

Wait. No. Better leave actually. It's not like we have any truck with differing opinions around here. Especially not in the land of the 'free'.

Lemon Bon Bon.

'We all know that Apple's graphics board selection sucks.' Copy that line into your next post and you can agree with Melgross about something. You'll be welcome with open arms. We can all think the same way. It'll be great.

Hey! I've argued with people here who thought that Apple knows best about their graphics card selection. but some people go too far in the way they post. I won't apologize about my responses to them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › NVIDIA prepping GeForce GTX 285 for Mac Pro