or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Worst (First 100) Days Ever
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Worst (First 100) Days Ever

post #1 of 220
Thread Starter 
Hi all...I'm baaaack! I was taking a hiatus as I got married and had some other things to take of back in the real world. I've been lurking though, and wish to start things off with this:

Obama has been much more of a disaster than I ever would have predicted. Clearly I didn't vote for the man, but I had hopes that he would take the moderate approach he claimed. No such luck though. In 100 days he's done the unthinkable:

--After railing against deficits, Obama proposes and gets a trillion dollars worth of "stimulus" and proposes a budget with a 1.5 trillion dollar deficit. That's bigger than the entire federal budget was just 8 years ago. \

--Obama releases documents on "torture" for no apparent reason. It's not as if the middle east is going to love us because we are "transparent." All it does is endanger our security. Making matters worse, Obama leaves the door open to prosecute Bush era attorneys who offered legal opinions on what agents could and couldn't do. Meanwhile, multiple high ranking intel officials have stated the methods in question prevented specific attacks. Nice job, champ!

--The economy is tanking.

--Let's nationalize the banks!

--Let's lump veterans in with "right wing extremists!"

--Let's nationalize the auto industry and have the unions control GM!

--Let's fly Air Force One over New York and scare the shit out of everyone!

--Let's nominate a tax evader for Secretary of the Treasury

--Let's promise to do away with earmarks, then sign a bill with 9,000 of 'em!

--Let's claim that we want better relations with Cuba, only to have Castro come out against them!

--Let's hire literally the most idiotic man on Earth to be Press Secretary.

--Let's raise taxes! Alot!

--Let's make fun of the special olympics!

--Let's elevate Rush Limbaugh to Shadow President by attacking him!

--Let's smile like a damned goofball as dictators rant against America!

--Let's destroy capitalism!


Watching over the past 100 days, I really think that Obama does not believe in this country. I know that sounds like rhetorical nonsense, but truly...I don't think he believes in the founding principles of this nation. If he does, he doesn't speak of them. The most rousing statement I've ever heard from him is "nowhere else is my story possible" The President is supposed to espouse his unwavering belief in the the people of the United States, the Constitution and our ability to meet challenges. He's not supposed to go on a European Apology Tour (TM). He's supposed to espouse the values of freedom and democratic rule. Where has he done this?

Worst of all, I think Obama is actually working against the success of the United States deliberately. He has openly said that we should not be a dominant economic power, for example. Instead, we should be "one of many voices." But that's bullshit, quite frankly. We're the world's largest economy. We got that way because of our free market system, which clearly Obama does not believe in. If Obama believes we should have a strong military, he hasn't said so. Perhaps we should be one of many militaries, Mr. President? How can we have a President who doesn't want us to succeed economically and militarily...who thinks both are BAD things?

I realize that many of you will view this as flame-worthy. However, I am quite serious when I say that I think this is perhaps the worst first 100 days of any President, ever. I know it's worse than I ever thought it would be.

SDW
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #2 of 220
Welcome back. We've missed you in the latest CC/GW/AGW thread.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #3 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Hi all...I'm baaaack! I was taking a hiatus as I got married and had some other things to take of back in the real world. I've been lurking though, and wish to start things off with this:

Obama has been much more of a disaster than I ever would have predicted. Clearly I didn't vote for the man, but I had hopes that he would take the moderate approach he claimed. No such luck though. In 100 days he's done the unthinkable:

--After railing against deficits, Obama proposes and gets a trillion dollars worth of "stimulus" and proposes a budget with a 1.5 trillion dollar deficit. That's bigger than the entire federal budget was just 8 years ago.

--Obama releases documents on "torture" for no apparent reason. It's not as if the middle east is going to love us because we are "transparent." All it does is endanger our security. Making matters worse, Obama leaves the door open to prosecute Bush era attorneys who offered legal opinions on what agents could and couldn't do. Meanwhile, multiple high ranking intel officials have stated the methods in question prevented specific attacks. Nice job, champ!

--The economy is tanking.

--Let's nationalize the banks!

--Let's lump veterans in with "right wing extremists!"

--Let's nationalize the auto industry and have the unions control GM!

--Let's fly Air Force One over New York and scare the shit out of everyone!

--Let's nominate a tax evader for Secretary of the Treasury

--Let's promise to do away with earmarks, then sign a bill with 9,000 of 'em!

--Let's claim that we want better relations with Cuba, only to have Castro come out against them!

--Let's hire literally the most idiotic man on Earth to be Press Secretary.

--Let's raise taxes! Alot!

--Let's make fun of the special olympics!

--Let's elevate Rush Limbaugh to Shadow President by attacking him!

--Let's smile like a damned goofball as dictators rant against America!

--Let's destroy capitalism!


Watching over the past 100 days, I really think that Obama does not believe in this country. I know that sounds like rhetorical nonsense, but truly...I don't think he believes in the founding principles of this nation. If he does, he doesn't speak of them. The most rousing statement I've ever heard from him is "nowhere else is my story possible" The President is supposed to espouse his unwavering belief in the the people of the United States, the Constitution and our ability to meet challenges. He's not supposed to go on a European Apology Tour (TM). He's supposed to espouse the values of freedom and democratic rule. Where has he done this?

Worst of all, I think Obama is actually working against the success of the United States deliberately. He has openly said that we should not be a dominant economic power, for example. Instead, we should be "one of many voices." But that's bullshit, quite frankly. We're the world's largest economy. We got that way because of our free market system, which clearly Obama does not believe in. If Obama believes we should have a strong military, he hasn't said so. Perhaps we should be one of many militaries, Mr. President? How can we have a President who doesn't want us to succeed economically and militarily...who thinks both are BAD things?

I realize that many of you will view this as flame-worthy. However, I am quite serious when I say that I think this is perhaps the worst first 100 days of any President, ever. I know it's worse than I ever thought it would be.

SDW

post #4 of 220
Too funny.
post #5 of 220
If you feel like checking out the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztmXKoLZuQ
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
eye
bee
BEE
Reply
post #6 of 220
You forgot him bowing to the saudi king, SDW2001.



Seriously though, the only real thing Obama has done so far is the $14.5 billion that has been spent, and that was mostly for Medicaid. The other stuff is touchy-feely and can be undone just as easily as it was done. No harm, no foul.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/news...ion=2009042714
post #7 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I realize that many of you will view this as flame-worthy. However, I am quite serious when I say that I think this is perhaps the worst first 100 days of any President, ever. I know it's worse than I ever thought it would be.

SDW

I'll bet that in ten years, if you were to look back on your list, you'd laugh at nearly all of it. Or perhaps you'd even be embarrassed that you posted such a list.

I voted for Obama but perfectly understand and even appreciate that people are criticizing his proposed spending. The spending is a big deal and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Most of the rest of the list though seems like an angry person just trying to pick a fight. I mean come on, making fun of the special olympics? The guy jokes that he bowls like he's in the special olympics and that makes him the worst president ever?

Another criticism was that he smiled at the wrong time? How would you have ranked him if he'd started an unjust war resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people?

By elevating things like smiling and telling a bad joke to "worst ever", you're doing a disservice to your other, more valid points. If you'd stuck to things like the spending criticism, even people who disagree with you would have given your views a fair reading. You may have even persuaded some of them.
post #8 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Another criticism was that he smiled at the wrong time? How would you have ranked him if he'd started an unjust war resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people?


Didn't GW laugh at the wrong time, all the time? And what about touching everybody?

Yeah, the war was kinda bad. So was the torture.

When did GW's first LONG, LONG, LONG vacation start?

And, checking out the wiki si eon the ranch, GW entertained Putin at the ranch in November, 2001...

---

Attacking Obama as they are just shows the desperation to make GW look good.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #9 of 220
Funny, I thought this topic was about Obama.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #10 of 220
Is Obama really not responsible for the deficit he inherited?

FACT CHECK: Obama disowns deficit he helped shape

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #11 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Is Obama really not responsible for the deficit he inherited?

FACT CHECK: Obama disowns deficit he helped shape

Yeah, so taking a weighted average, the R's were responsable for 99.99999999999999999999% and Obama 0.00000000000000000000%

HARRUMPH!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #12 of 220
I suppose you might be on to something, franksargent. How many times was Obama absent for votes in Congress? How many times did he only vote "present"? Hmmm....

Regardless, the Democrats had control of Congress for 2 years prior to Obama taking office. Or was their incompetence Bush's fault, too?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #13 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

If you feel like checking out the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztmXKoLZuQ

If you look closely at his head right at the end of that minutia screed, his balding pate looks just like a ditto mark.

Quote:
And now you know the rest of the story.

Paul Harvey - Gooooooooooooooooood day!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #14 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I suppose you might be on to something, franksargent. How many times was Obama absent for votes in Congress? How many times did he only vote "present"? Hmmm....

Regardless, the Democrats had control of Congress for 2 years prior to Obama taking office. Or was their incompetence Bush's fault, too?

Regardless, Dubya never met a spending bill he didn't like or sign.

HARRUMPH!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #15 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Regardless Dubya never met a spending bill he didn't like, or sign.

HARRUMPH!

Bush did spend money like a drunken sailor, no doubt.

Congress, however, puts the bills together in the first place.

Obama will easily surpass Bush's spending record. Not something to be proud of, IMO.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #16 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Regardless, Dubya never met a spending bill he didn't like or sign.

HARRUMPH!

Agreed... He should have switched parties too.
post #17 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Bush did spend money like a drunken sailor, no doubt.

Congress, however, puts the bills together in the first place.

Obama will easily surpass Bush's spending record. Not something to be proud of, IMO.

You do understand the budget process?

Because I certainly do.

I can walk you through the pertinent details, if necessary. \
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #18 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

You do understand the budget process?

Because I certainly do.

I can walk you through the pertinent details, if necessary. \

Nice ad-hom.

I get it.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #19 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Nice ad-hom.

I get it.

Geez.
post #20 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Nice ad-hom.

I get it.

Not really.

The POTUS drives the entire budget process towards Congress through the annual budget request process. Those requests, come from his office (OMB) and all planned spending ($$) is detailed in this annual budget request.

We also have Emergency and Supplimental requests from the POTUS, and again all of these have explicit $$.

So the difference between what Congress passes funding bills on minus the sum of all POTUS budget requests would be the fraction that you could fully blame just the Congress for.

Also, if I recall correctly, the House was in the R's control through to January 2-3, 2007.

The budget process for the Legislative (and in general all bills) starts in said House.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #21 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I suppose you might be on to something, franksargent. How many times was Obama absent for votes in Congress? How many times did he only vote "present"? Hmmm....

Regardless, the Democrats had control of Congress for 2 years prior to Obama taking office. Or was their incompetence Bush's fault, too?

Yeah he might have even voted for those bailouts or requested the funds be released as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Yeah, so taking a weighted average, the R's were responsable for 99.99999999999999999999% and Obama 0.00000000000000000000%

HARRUMPH!

Someone needs to check their slide ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Bush did spend money like a drunken sailor, no doubt.

Congress, however, puts the bills together in the first place.

Obama will easily surpass Bush's spending record. Not something to be proud of, IMO.

I wonder how hard it will be for Obama to still be running against Bush in 2012? One term later... it isn't my fault and I didn't ask to be handed this mess and....

Yeah Obama, you ran for the office. You wanted the job. Shut up, govern and stop making excuses and when you govern BADLY, it is your fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Agreed... He should have switched parties too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

You do understand the budget process?

Because I certainly do.

I can walk you through the pertinent details, if necessary. \

Please try to challenge a point and not the person by calling them stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Nice ad-hom.

I get it.

We all get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Geez.

Sucks to have to think and present information, doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Not really.

The POTUS drives the entire budget process towards Congress through the annual budget request process. Those requests, come from his office (OMB) and all planned spending ($$) is detailed in this annual budget request.

We also have Emergency and Supplimental requests from the POTUS, and again all of these have explicit $$.

So the difference between what Congress passes funding bills on minus the sum of all POTUS budget requests would be the fraction that you could fully blame just the Congress for.

Also, if I recall correctly, the House was in the R's control through to January 2-3, 2007.

The budget process for the Legislative (and in general all bills) starts in said House.

Even if the president drives it, the ultimate BUCK stops with Congress. If Obama doesn't get the cap and trade he wants for example, that will be due to Congress failing to act on it. The fact that Treasury is looking at converting loans to stock is due to the fact that Congress isn't willing to authorize another bailout.

It's almost like there are different branches of the government that have to work together or something like that.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #22 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yeah he might have even voted for those bailouts or requested the funds be released as well.



Someone needs to check their slide ruler.



I wonder how hard it will be for Obama to still be running against Bush in 2012? One term later... it isn't my fault and I didn't ask to be handed this mess and....

Yeah Obama, you ran for the office. You wanted the job. Shut up, govern and stop making excuses and when you govern BADLY, it is your fault.







Please try to challenge a point and not the person by calling them stupid.



We all get it.



Sucks to have to think and present information, doesn't it?



Even if the president drives it, the ultimate BUCK stops with Congress. If Obama doesn't get the cap and trade he wants for example, that will be due to Congress failing to act on it. The fact that Treasury is looking at converting loans to stock is due to the fact that Congress isn't willing to authorize another bailout.

It's almost like there are different branches of the government that have to work together or something like that.

Did Dubya ever exercise his veto powers (part of the budget process) on any spending bills? If the answer is yes, then I'll ask a follow on question in a subsequent post.

Actually, the buck has always stopped at the POTUS, or so I've heard.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #23 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Actually, the buck has always stopped at the POTUS, or so I've heard.

Apparently not with Obama, though. Everything bad happening under his administration is Bush's fault.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #24 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Funny, I thought this topic was about Obama.

Well if it was about Bush it'd be about Clinton so what do you want?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #25 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Did Dubya ever exercise his veto powers (part of the budget process) on any spending bills? If the answer is yes, then I'll ask a follow on question in a subsequent post.

Actually, the buck has always stopped at the POTUS, or so I've heard.

George W. Bush

1. July 19, 2006: Vetoed H.R. 810, Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005, a bill to ease restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. Override attempt failed in House, 235-193 (286 needed).

2. May 1, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 1591, U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007. Override attempt failed in House, 222-203 (284 needed). A later version of the bill that excluded certain aspects of the initial legislation that the President disapproved of... H.R. 2206, was enacted as Pub.L. 110-28 with the President's approval.

3. June 20, 2007: Vetoed S. 5, Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007.

4. October 3, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 976, Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007 ("SCHIP"). Override attempt failed in House, 273-156 (286 votes needed).

5. November 2, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 1495, Water Resources Development Act of 2007. Overridden by House, 361-54 (277 votes needed). Overridden by Senate, 79-14 (62 needed), and enacted as Pub.L. 110-114 over President's veto.

6. November 13, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 3043, Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2008. Override attempt failed in House, 277-141 (279 votes needed).

7. December 12, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 3963, Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007.[20] Override attempt failed in House, 260-152 (275 votes needed).

8. December 28, 2007: Pocket Vetoed H.R. 1585, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008[21]. A later version of the bill that changed a minor provision of which the President disapproved was quickly passed by Congress (H.R. 4986) and was enacted with the President's approval as Pub.L. 110-181 on 28 January 2008.

9. March 8, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 2082, Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008.[22][23] Override attempt failed in House, 225-188.

10. May 21, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 2419, 2007 U.S. Farm Bill.[24][25] Overridden by House, 316-108 (283 votes needed). Overridden by Senate, 82-13 (64 votes needed). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-234 over the President's veto. Due to a clerical error, this act was repealed by Pub.L. 110-246.

11. 18 June 2008: Vetoed H.R. 6124, 2007 U.S. Farm Bill, re-passed by Congress to correct a clerical error in HR 2419.[26] Overridden by House, 317-109 (284 votes required). Overridden by Senate, 80-14 (63 votes needed). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-246 over the President's veto.

12. July 15, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 6331, Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act.[27] Overridden by House, 383-41 (283 votes required.) Overridden by Senate, 70-26 (64 votes required). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-275 over the President's veto.

And to answer your next question, yes you can see that several of the vetoes were overridden thus showing that Congress ultimately does hold the purse strings.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #26 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Apparently not with Obama, though. Everything bad happening under his administration is Bush's fault.

Well look at it this way Bush sr. inherited Reagan's popularity and ran it into the ground. At the end of his term in office we had a recession. Companies all over the U.S. found a new way to turn a profit. Downsizing. The way the economy had been run for the last 4 years was very unpopular. It was part of what Clinton ran his campaign on. It helped him win the Whitehouse ( " It's the economy stupid " ).

Clinton inherited Bush's economic mismangement and spent 7 years building it back up into the longest running Bull market in history. He was very popular and times were good. A bubble appeared in the economy with the birth of internet business. Further driving the Bull market. The bubble burst. The Bull became a bear. Then Clinton stupidly unzipped his pants, lied about it, and the rest is history.

Bush Jr. inherited Clinton's recession and surplus. 911 occured and the U.S. experienced additional hardship. The recession went on for a couple of years but jobs didn't recover until almost 2003 just in time for the Iraq war. A war made easier by 911. The U.S. lost a good deal of respect from the rest of the world by attacking without provocation. The surplus Bush inherited was gone in 6 months. At the end of his second term guess what? Another recession! Only this one is a doozy!

Obama inherited Bush's economic mismangement and recession, Iraq, global unpopularity, and a host of bad policies to fix. It remains to be seen how he'll fair against all of that. My money's on he'll do a hell of a lot better than Bush would.

Just thought I'd hit the highlights.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #27 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Is Obama really not responsible for the deficit he inherited?

FACT CHECK: Obama disowns deficit he helped shape

No just doubling it.
post #28 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

No just doubling it.

Because as an alternative to sitting on his thumbs someone had to do something about the economy. Will it work over the long haul? That remains to be seen. But you won't see it in 100 days or even 200. It took far longer than that to make this mess.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #29 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Because as an alternative to sitting on his thumbs someone had to do something about the economy. Will it work over the long haul? That remains to be seen. But you won't see it in 100 days or even 200. It took far longer than that to make this mess.

Yeah Floorjack, give the man some time. I mean he might need a year or two to quadruple or quintuple the debt as opposed to only doubling it in 100 days.

Sheesh man... you are so impatient!11!!1

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #30 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

George W. Bush

1. July 19, 2006: Vetoed H.R. 810, Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2005, a bill to ease restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research. Override attempt failed in House, 235-193 (286 needed).

2. May 1, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 1591, U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery, and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act, 2007. Override attempt failed in House, 222-203 (284 needed). A later version of the bill that excluded certain aspects of the initial legislation that the President disapproved of... H.R. 2206, was enacted as Pub.L. 110-28 with the President's approval.

3. June 20, 2007: Vetoed S. 5, Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act of 2007.

4. October 3, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 976, Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007 ("SCHIP"). Override attempt failed in House, 273-156 (286 votes needed).

5. November 2, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 1495, Water Resources Development Act of 2007. Overridden by House, 361-54 (277 votes needed). Overridden by Senate, 79-14 (62 needed), and enacted as Pub.L. 110-114 over President's veto.

6. November 13, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 3043, Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2008. Override attempt failed in House, 277-141 (279 votes needed).

7. December 12, 2007: Vetoed H.R. 3963, Children's Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007.[20] Override attempt failed in House, 260-152 (275 votes needed).

8. December 28, 2007: Pocket Vetoed H.R. 1585, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008[21]. A later version of the bill that changed a minor provision of which the President disapproved was quickly passed by Congress (H.R. 4986) and was enacted with the President's approval as Pub.L. 110-181 on 28 January 2008.

9. March 8, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 2082, Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008.[22][23] Override attempt failed in House, 225-188.

10. May 21, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 2419, 2007 U.S. Farm Bill.[24][25] Overridden by House, 316-108 (283 votes needed). Overridden by Senate, 82-13 (64 votes needed). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-234 over the President's veto. Due to a clerical error, this act was repealed by Pub.L. 110-246.

11. 18 June 2008: Vetoed H.R. 6124, 2007 U.S. Farm Bill, re-passed by Congress to correct a clerical error in HR 2419.[26] Overridden by House, 317-109 (284 votes required). Overridden by Senate, 80-14 (63 votes needed). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-246 over the President's veto.

12. July 15, 2008: Vetoed H.R. 6331, Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act.[27] Overridden by House, 383-41 (283 votes required.) Overridden by Senate, 70-26 (64 votes required). Enacted as Pub.L. 110-275 over the President's veto.

And to answer your next question, yes you can see that several of the vetoes were overridden thus showing that Congress ultimately does hold the purse strings.

Just a note. It would be appreciated, by myself at least, when posting factual information, to include the corresponding website/link.

Take no offense here Nick, even I've done this, on occasion, nobody's perfect.

Peace.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #31 of 220
Just a quick note here, guys: I don't think BHO has done much of anything -- except talk/posture. He's an empty suit. We're continuing with Paulson Lite policy -- just as regulatoraily captured as the previous administration. N. Korea still shoots missiles during presidential speeches, Iran will ramp up the violence in Iraq so we'll make more concessions on their nukes, Russian will continue to hold Iran over our heads, the EU and the rest of the BRICs still want what we have, and Chavez still has his death squads. That's about all that's happened. Nothing. (The only thing that's changed is the PR.) Same as it ever was... same as it ever was...


But hey, what's good for Wall Street is good for America, right?


I hope certain people here are seeing that the "change" they voted for, was illusory -- you will not hear anyone in government (except maybe RP) so much as whisper "austerity" or the fact the we are going to have to raise the retirement age, or that a tax cut isn't a tax cut UNLESS BOTH WE AND OUR KIDS AND OUR GRANDKIDS PAY LESS.

That's not going to happen. Summers literally believes the free money policy that got us into this sh!thole will rebubble our way out of it.

It's insanity.


Here's your change -- budget "cuts"



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE








Nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed, so there's nothing to criticize.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #32 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Just a note. It would be appreciated, by myself at least, when posting factual information, to include the corresponding website/link.

Take no offense here Nick, even I've done this, on occasion, nobody's perfect.

Peace.

Well I Googled Bush vetoes and the first link that came up was Wiki with a list of all presidential vetoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Just a quick note here, guys: I don't think BHO has done much of anything -- except talk/posture. He's an empty suit. We're continuing with Paulson Lite policy -- just as regulatoraily captured as the previous administration. That's about all that's happened. Same as it ever was... same as it ever was...

But hey, what's good for Wall Street is good for America, right?

I hope certain people here are seeing that the "change" they voted for, was illusory -- you will not hear anyone in government (except maybe RP) so much as whisper "austerity" or the fact the we are going to have to raise the retirement age, or that a tax cut isn't a tax cut UNLESS BOTH WE AND OUR KIDS AND OUT GRANDKIDS PAY LESS.

That's not going to happen. Summers literally believes the free money policy that got us into this sh!thole will rebubble our way out of it.

It's insanity.

Here's your change -- budget "cuts"



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE

Nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed, so there's nothing to critisise. (the only thing that's changed is the PR)

Welcome back DMZ. Oh and congrats to SDW for the marriage, house, life back to an awesome rocking place again bit.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #33 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post

Just a quick note here, guys: I don't think BHO has done much of anything -- except talk/posture. He's an empty suit. We're continuing with Paulson Lite policy -- just as regulatoraily captured as the previous administration. N. Korea still shoots missiles during presidential speeches, Iran will ramp up the violence in Iraq so we'll make more concessions on their nukes, Russian will continue to hold Iran over our heads, the EU and the rest of the bricks BRICs still want what we have, and Chavez still has his death squads. That's about all that's happened. Nothing. (The only thing that's changed is the PR.) Same as it ever was... same as it ever was...


But hey, what's good for Wall Street is good for America, right?


I hope certain people here are seeing that the "change" they voted for, was illusory -- you will not hear anyone in government (except maybe RP) so much as whisper "austerity" or the fact the we are going to have to raise the retirement age, or that a tax cut isn't a tax cut UNLESS BOTH WE AND OUR KIDS AND OUT GRANDKIDS PAY LESS.

That's not going to happen. Summers literally believes the free money policy that got us into this sh!thole will rebubble our way out of it.

It's insanity.


Here's your change -- budget "cuts"



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE








Nothing is going to change. Nothing has changed, so there's nothing to critisise.

Astute observations, dmz. If anything, the Obama Administration has thus far been an amplification of the Bush Administration's policies rather than a renunciation.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #34 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Welcome back DMZ. Oh and congrats to SDW for the marriage, house, life back to an awesome rocking place again bit.

Well, I had hopes for bringing franksargent around. (it's never too late!)

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #35 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

If you feel like checking out the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztmXKoLZuQ

Had to check out the original. Cuckoo.

I am just loving how the far right is self destructing. Rush Limbaugh should seriously start his own party. Some on this forum would no doubt follow him.

I hope this becomes the worst 8 years ever for them. Too funny.
post #36 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

I hope this becomes the worst 8 years ever for them. Too funny.

Eight years? Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we? Last I read the president is only elected for 4 years. Now it's 8? Heck, Jimmac even thinks that either the constitution doesn't apply to Obama (there's no doubt Obama will act as if it doesn't) or that it will be changed for him to be able to have at least 2 terms.



When we get far enough along that they can no longer blame their predecessors (this is a tenuous claim anyway...but the ignorant American public is buying it so far) and they've had a rock solid control of the house, senate and white house, and have managed to ram their agenda through and yet the country is still a mess (or worse), getting re-elected will be a little more difficult, no matter how well his teleprompter is working.
post #37 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

Eight years? Getting a little ahead of ourselves aren't we? Last I read the president is only elected for 4 years. Now it's 8?



Yeah, that's what it is. Not even going to try to explain it to you.

Quote:
and they've had a rock solid control of the house, senate and white house, and have managed to ram their agenda through and yet the country is still a mess (or worse), getting re-elected will be a little more difficult, no matter how well his teleprompter is working.

I guess you do understand the 8 year comment after all. "the country is still a mess(or worse)"....hmm and I'm getting ahead of myself? Let me guess. Are you a ditto head hoping that "Obama fails"?

Was the teleprompter comment meant to be funny? Must be a popular joke over at free republic eh?
post #38 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilsch View Post

Was the teleprompter comment meant to be funny? Must be a popular joke over at free republic eh?

Letterman had a slew of Bush gaffes, I wonder if they're accessible by the public, maybe a DVD.
post #39 of 220
Gotta love Google;
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Man I wish I had High Speed.
post #40 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Letterman had a slew of Bush gaffes, I wonder if they're accessible by the public, maybe a DVD.

He had problems with and without teleprompters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Worst (First 100) Days Ever