or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad - Page 7

post #241 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

PC users must hate the I'm a Mac ads as they paint a very ambiguous picture that is patently not entirely true yet hard to disprove without going into booooring detail. They are comedic and simplistic and that is why they are successful. They help create an 'impression'. Lame as I think the PC ads are (non creative, full of holes, cheap cheap cheap), I am sure they will do their job very well. If they help sell more PC's they are successful. But if they tarnish the Apple brand by underpinning the perception that they are more expensive, they are even more successful. The danger is that they will cheapen the Windows / pc-maker 'brand' in which case the whole thing will play into Apple's hands. They certainly do seem to suggest that Apple is a superior product. The issue of TCO is a hard one to sell. People are VERY short sighted. Generally I think the aim of the campaign is to stem the tide of 'switchers'. I am not sure if it will work but I suspect the campaign will succeed at selling more laptops.

Agree, they do suggest that Apple is superior, and that could definitively play in favor for Apple. I mean, if you can by only Armani clothes (yes, provided you like it), why would you dress in Old Navy?

Now seriously, I feel really sorry for people who insist that PCs and a Windows OS is better than a Mac and OSX... really sorry, but at the same time happy to realize the world is full of fools, because that gives the rest of us more opportunities... Really, how many times you've been congratulated for some amazing work you've done on a Mac???
"Living in a Windows-free home"

MacBook 2.2GHz - 2GB - 160GB
iPhone 3G 16GB
Airport Extreme
Long time .Mac user
Reply
"Living in a Windows-free home"

MacBook 2.2GHz - 2GB - 160GB
iPhone 3G 16GB
Airport Extreme
Long time .Mac user
Reply
post #242 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

...I believe MS is making a huge mistake with these ads, and that they won't be very effective because they focus on ONE thing (cheap laptops) and ignore so many other factors that determine what computer is right for you.

Indeed...

They should also reinforce the idea that you get for what you paid...
"Living in a Windows-free home"

MacBook 2.2GHz - 2GB - 160GB
iPhone 3G 16GB
Airport Extreme
Long time .Mac user
Reply
"Living in a Windows-free home"

MacBook 2.2GHz - 2GB - 160GB
iPhone 3G 16GB
Airport Extreme
Long time .Mac user
Reply
post #243 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I believe that most of you aren't seeing the true intention of these ads.

The ads are intended to make most people think that a laptop capable of editing video will cost $2,000, and that they could get a MBP for slightly more. Let's face it, people don't remember the prices that these actors paid, they remember the $2,000.

However, when people go shopping, they expect to find the MS advertised computer for $2k and instead find out it's $1.3k. Suddenly it seems to be a MUCH better deal.

The purpose of these ads is to magnify the importance of the price difference by managing expectations.

Just my opinion, but it's a technique I've used in my marketing, and it's proven to be effective.


no .. 5 yrs ago maybe . but most people are not SO stupid these days . this ad will back fire
people do not just happen to thinik hey i got 2k and let me go to best buy and .......

. they go online and look around
they go to cnet
they go to consumer reports
they talk to freinds
and if she has friends who edit movies then she will get an ear ful about many types and kinds p/c;s and such ..pro's and con's
she will in t6he end get what she pays for
with the mac its one final price
with the rest its all the add costs not mentioned in these desperate ads
simply she is a women and they do love to shop .

i hope she buys a 15 in MBP
the new graphic card rocks
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #244 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1974 View Post

Really, how many times you've been congratulated for some amazing work you've done on a Mac???

The same amount of times I've been congratulated on doing amazing work on a Windows box.

I don't like Windows more than MacOSX mind you. I use both side by side, equal amounts of time, and fluent in both. I'm talking creative works here too! I don't see as one better than the other, just offering the same thing in different ways.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #245 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oh, I read it, but you are absolutely crazy if you think that Apple would entertain for a moment the addition of a half inch or more to their notebooks just to add a $200 tray-loading Blu-ray drive. Perhaps you haven't noticed, but Apple sells the thinnest and lightest notebooks for their performance class. This is part of their working strategy, not because they don't know to make thicker laptops, which doesn't make any sense.

Assuming that they couldn't get a manufacturer to produce a 9.5mm thin blu-ray player if they actually showed interest (again, Panasonic had one in 2007), Blu-ray isn't the only absent feature due to Apple's obsession with thinness. It's the reason there's no Firewire on the MacBook, and why even the 15" models only have two USB ports. It contributes to why you have to spend a thousand dollars more to have a 17" Mac notebook compared to a PC.

If Apple's lacking major components due to being too thin and at the same time costing more than competitors, then perhaps these Microsoft ads have a point when they suggest that the Mac is all about aesthetics.
post #246 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I made a big mistake not buying a Mini instead of ATV. I hate that I can't delete files directly on ATV like you can on a mini. And I have to keep all my movies file on my Mac permanently because if I delete them - the ATV mimics them and they disappear there as well. What a frustrating device. It really is only good if your ionto renting movies only. Even Hulu today got free ABC TV.

the new mac mini have a great graphic card in it . i love hulu becuase you can watch a t v series from the start . and not miss an episode . i just saw doll house pretty good . ATV will morph into a high end mac mini gaming media console .[i hope]
apple should just combine the high end mini with the ATV ,

peace
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #247 of 506
I'll say it again like I did with the last PC commercial thread : These commercials are effective! Microsoft knows their base. Period, end of discussion. Isn't there anyone who works in the advertising field in here? You guys are missing the point. It's not wether the PC is better equipped than a mac. It's about sales. Come on!
post #248 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Assuming that they couldn't get a manufacturer to produce a 9.5mm thin blu-ray player if they actually showed interest (again, Panasonic had one in 2007)

No one is saying that it's not technically possible (which you seem to be echoing over and over despite this being well known), just that it's financially viable for Apple to include a $1000+ option for a 9.5mm Blu-ray drive that will satisfy very few and hurt their business model. If you can't see the logic you'll have to go to the corner with Teckstud.

Quote:
Blu-ray isn't the only absent feature due to Apple's obsession with thinness. It's the reason there's no Firewire on the MacBook,

Come again? The MacBook and MacBook Pro are the same thickness and yet the MacBook pro has FW800. Also, both machine types have Ethernet which is a taller port than either FW800. Saying that the MacBook doesn't have FW because its too thin makes me think that you haven't even seen a Mac before.

Quote:
If Apple's lacking major components due to being too thin and at the same time costing more than competitors, then perhaps these Microsoft ads have a point when they suggest that the Mac is all about aesthetics.

The MS ads do have a point, but they are preaching to their own built in audience, not actually procuring a new audience. There are plenty of PCs that are more than suitable for ones needs. Apple has a very limited selection of PC models to choose from. They are an over-grown boutique shop in many ways. You need to stop thinking that Apple should try to appeal to everyone's needs across the board and realize that they are trying to only appeal to the needs of customers that can make them money. What you are asking for is a lose-lose financial situation for Apple that doesn't benefit the average Mac consumer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #249 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

The fact I can run Retail OS X (no hacks) on a home built computer proves my point. Same internals.

It doesn't prove the "same internals" at all.

That myth has not been proven, by you or anybody else that keeps on repeatingit here.
post #250 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

BULLSHIT, everybody uses comoddedy x86 and x64 chips, MS does just as muich tuning on their consumer OS kernal to the INTEL chips as apple does, hell, MS and intel work closly together to make sure that Windows can take advantage of new chip features (like ht back in the day and multithreading across Xeon/Pentium/Core chips starting with Windows XP and expanded with the codebase of Server 2003 whuich was the vista foundation.)

MS has been working with Intel on multithreading and maximising CPU usage since Apple was playing with those dinky G4 peices of shit (I speak as a former G4 owner, they sucked compared to the Intel boxes of the day, which is why Apple switched.)

Its all about the abstraction layers, Apple has Core* and windows has Direct X and Windows Foundation and .net, they tweak their code to work with the HAL, and the GPU drivers for both Mac and Windows are written by the people who designed the chips, at nvidia and AMD, so I would assume that they can tightly integrate the drivers to the hardware, hell they CREATED the hardware.

Whatever MS is doing, it plainly does not work for a lot of users. I have brought it up in the past but think it is worthwhile mentioning it again: Neither XP nor Vista machines give notebook users the ability to restart their machines from sleep and start working within a few seconds. I never knew whether I had to restart my XP and Vista machines after opening the lids. With OS X, I have never experienced a problem since I switched to Mac six months ago.
post #251 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

But what you are missing is that the previous 3 MS ads didn't "tarnish" Apple's brand, they in fact reinforced the perception that Apple products are cool and good-looking and desirable, but cost a little more. But, cost certainly doesn't prevent millions of people from buying brand names instead of generic in stores everywhere, even though they may cost a bit more. So, to base your entire marketing strategy on "CHEAP" for something expensive like a computer won't have a good, long-term effect, IMO. Just look at iPods, you can get much cheaper MP3 players, so, why don't people flock to them instead if price is the overriding factor?

I believe MS is making a huge mistake with these ads, and that they won't be very effective because they focus on ONE thing (cheap laptops) and ignore so many other factors that determine what computer is right for you. Not only that, but, there's not one single mention of Windows or Microsoft in any of these ads. They seem like ads for HP laptops, and not very convincing ones.

I didn't say that this ad tarnishes the Apple brand. But if the ad helps to do so it will be more successful from MS' pov. I disagree that they are only selling 'cheap'. She is looking for a laptop for less than two grand. That's not cheap by most people's standard. They are selling the idea that you can actually do really cool stuff on less expensive machines than Apples'. The reason they have Apple in there at all is because of the perception that there are certain things you can only do on Macs. Apple is there but dismissed as expensive. That is different that saying 'we are cheap'. I think it is clever that they don't sell the MS brand. They are contextualizing the computing need by presenting 'normal' people.
post #252 of 506
no good film maker uses windows movie maker, it sucks.
post #253 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I disagree that they are only selling 'cheap'. She is looking for a laptop for less than two grand. That's not cheap by most people's standard.

Yes, I agree, which is why this ad fails miserably. $2,000 isn't "cheap," which is the whole point of these ads. If someone has $2,000 to spend, they can easily afford a Mac laptop with excellent specs and better software. The ads were more effective when the person had $1,000 to spend. $2,000 takes things to a whole new level, and I think this new ad completely misses the main intent of these ads: people who don't have a lot of money need an "affordable" computer. For many people, $2,000 is not their idea of affordable or less expensive or cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I think it is clever that they don't sell the MS brand. They are contextualizing the computing need by presenting 'normal' people.

The woman in this new ad is not "normal" in this context. How many normal people need to do video editing on a laptop?? And why would a video editor not go directly to the platform they are already using and even consider a Mac if they already use PCs for video editing?

IMO, the first 3 ads were more effective than this ad because the scenario is unrealistic and not very plausible.
post #254 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBill View Post

It doesn't prove the "same internals" at all.

That myth has not been proven, by you or anybody else that keeps on repeating it here.

If I'm not mistaken, Apple has a factory over seas make their boards... the same company that makes PC laptop boards (my original MBP had a Foxconn board). The chipsets are the same, the graphics cards are the same (mind you, there are two in this particular model, though any PC maker could do the same thing) processors are the same. Apple uses the same Hard Drives as other folks, the same RAM, the same Realtek compatible audio cards. Its the same... what more do I need to prove? Open up an Apple, and open up a PC, and take a look at the manufacturers of the chips inside. Tons of similarities. The differences are the EFI, and the OS. That's it. They take parts from other vendors and put them in their boxes, just like other computer companies, and its the same components!

Any one else want to back me up here? iStink, usually you have something to say.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #255 of 506
She should use that $2000 to get a breast enlargement - ((zing!!))!!
post #256 of 506
As many other have pointed out, there's so much fail in this ad. Also, artists tend to use Macs anyway cause they have great software and great specs.

I also like the BMW M6 convertible ($108,000) in the handicapped spot in the end of video. Bet it was the producer who M$ paid a shitload of money to confuse the average consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

She should use that $2000 to get a breast enlargement - ((zing!!))!!

MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
Reply
post #257 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

Microsoft are trying break the world record of 'density of bullshit' in a single commercial. They just keep upping the stakes.

Keep them coming Microsoft! I want to see you deal with a $3000 laptop!

Geesh the fanboyz are in full force.

While I like a mac as much as the next guy, you say BS when in fact jobs feed us bs for years with the slower powerPC which intel saved them i remember the g4 being touted as a portable studio and remeber Capitol records studios, SSL in Hollywood all being in awe on how fast the PC was for rendering and jobs fed us BS for almost a decade. His benchmarks still mislead people.

In addtion, call video symphony in Burbank CA, largest pro tools, avid, final cut school in the world. Was there not to long ago and while they had mac pros, most of the high end were/are of servers. When I asked him abut that he said they are much faster for realtime FX and rendering. I compose for trailers and while a MacBook pro is good, there are 4 core machines that pounce it with blue ray. But go ahead call them and ask. They serve the entire editing community.

Now we see the air at a price more realistic and this is just the begining. Look for apple to repsond, no choice, especially with bread and butter iPhone about to have millions with expired contracts.
post #258 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Apple has a factory over seas make their boards... the same company that makes PC laptop boards (my original MBP had a Foxconn board). The chipsets are the same, the graphics cards are the same (mind you, there are two in this particular model, though any PC maker could do the same thing) processors are the same. Apple uses the same Hard Drives as other folks, the same RAM, the same Realtek compatible audio cards. Its the same... what more do I need to prove? Open up an Apple, and open up a PC, and take a look at the manufacturers of the chips inside. Tons of similarities. The differences are the EFI, and the OS. That's it. They take parts from other vendors and put them in their boxes, just like other computer companies, and its the same components!

Any one else want to back me up here? iStink, usually you have something to say.

Yes but does it come with a free rainbow and apple bumper sticker. Ha ha ha LOL
post #259 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Yes but does it come with a free rainbow and apple bumper sticker. Ha ha ha LOL

Haha, true. All Apple products come with those little white Apple stickers! That is a difference! (I still have a rainbow apple metal thing from my original Mac IIsi. I haven't found anything to put it on, but its still cool to have.)

As to your previous post. You are spot on. I've seen more and more video houses and TV stations go the route of PC instead of Mac too, mainly due to hardware and blue-ray. Macs still exist, but not as much as they used to.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #260 of 506
The only reason there is no FireWire is because the machine has better GPU and if they offered FireWire, pros could edit on the MacBook. But apple and their shitty atitude toward the pro make me savior the day jobs is gone. Nothing but a ploy to get another $800 dollars from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Assuming that they couldn't get a manufacturer to produce a 9.5mm thin blu-ray player if they actually showed interest (again, Panasonic had one in 2007), Blu-ray isn't the only absent feature due to Apple's obsession with thinness. It's the reason there's no Firewire on the MacBook, and why even the 15" models only have two USB ports. It contributes to why you have to spend a thousand dollars more to have a 17" Mac notebook compared to a PC.

If Apple's lacking major components due to being too thin and at the same time costing more than competitors, then perhaps these Microsoft ads have a point when they suggest that the Mac is all about aesthetics.
post #261 of 506
Yeah. I mean I do like macs but jobs his paranoia Nd the fanboyz make me crazy. Most are clueless. Heck even the so called genius bar are pretty dense as all they do to troubleshoot is run a program and if it returns an error, they send it out.

Was shocked to see all the PC machines though. As it used to be all mac but apple ditched the pro user base, replaced one to one training with iLife specialist as none know shake, motion, fcp and it's all about ( I knee fiaahIphone, said with a Chinese accent, LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Haha, true. All Apple products come with those little white Apple stickers! That is a difference! (I still have a rainbow apple metal thing from my original Mac IIsi. I haven't found anything to put it on, but its still cool to have.)

As to your previous post. You are spot on. I've seen more and more video houses and TV stations go the route of PC instead of Mac too, mainly due to hardware.
post #262 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I wish it was that simple.
The car comparison has been debated on many forums, by many people and I find it irrelevant. A Merc is different in so many ways from cars like Ford & Dodge. Completely different hardware.
Different engine, different gear, different interior,different software, etc.
A Mac on the other hand has similar hardware as every other high quality PC. Same CPU, same GPU, Same MB, same RAM. So we are left with 2 things really: the exterior & the OS + iLife.
As I said I am willing to pay a premium for that (especially for the OS), but there is a limit. How much do I see as an acceptable premium? I say 10% is fair.
I just can't understand why a Mac Pro with a Quad processor should cost 2,499$! You can buy a PC with identical hardware for HALF the price! Xeons these days offer only two benefits: Multiple CPUs on the same MB and ECC RAM... Other than that it is the same freakin CPU as an iCore7. If the Xeon is so expensive, offer an iCore7 Mac Pro.
So again, I am asking what justifies a X2 price?.... \

Second thing is this: not all Mac users can afford themselves the price. As you are well aware of, not all people have the same capabilities when it comes to income.

Regarding security issues on the PC. Well, it is something a user needs to be aware of. The Mac is in a much better place in this regard. My PC is behind a router, with Norton Internet security 2009 and is fully patched. I have very little problems security wise. Just take into account that most of the Mac security comes from the relative small % it has in the market - not from OS X's uber security capabilities. So there is no special effort on the side of Apple worth paying for. It is a side effect, nothing more.

As of BSODs: My Mac gave me a Kernel Panic one time. Windows got stuck several times (not more than 8 times or so) - both are the same age (about 4). Again the Mac is somewhat better, but hey, 8 or so BSODs in 4 years is not something you can't live with.

In summary, Mac is better than PC. OS X is better than windows. Premium price is acceptable - but there is a limit, and Apple's pricing at this stage is waaaaay above it.

Mac PROS are for the PROFESSIONALS whose PROFESSIONS many times require A LOT of precision. Xeons are NOT i7s plus ECC. They have other differences, are made from noble silicon, etc...
The Mac Pro's motherboard is also designed by Apple, even though it is MANUFACTURED by another company.
Then there is also the high level of INTEGRATION of the hardware: it was designed (or chosen, for the parts which Apple doesn't have a hand in) to work in MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY POSSIBLE. It is not just a "high quality PC", it is a higher quality PC than a high quality PC!

So what if YOUR PC only had 8 BSODs (highly unlikely, by the way...)? It doesn't mean everyone has such few BSODs...
Then there is OS X, iLife, Design...

In the end, Macs may be the most expensive of the premium-priced machines, but you get what you pay for.

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #263 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wrong enstein

The only reason there is no FireWire is because the machine has better GPU and if they offered FireWire, pros could edit on the MacBook. But apple and their shitty atitude toward the pro make me savior the day jobs is gone. Nothing but a ploy to get another $800 dollars from you.

AND because there wasn't any space left for FireWire...

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

Reply
post #264 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The woman in this new ad is not "normal" in this context. How many normal people need to do video editing on a laptop?? And why would a video editor not go directly to the platform they are already using and even consider a Mac if they already use PCs for video editing?

Lots of people do video editing on laptops. Features (independent) have been edited on laptops. You can use powerful pro / semi pro editors on Mac or PC laptops. But that is beside the point. The ad is about perceptions. So yes, she is normal. She is a 'creative' who needs a laptop to do 'creative' work that requires a big screen and a powerful laptop. Contrary to popular belief, the ad says, you can do this more cost effectively on a PC.
post #265 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

AND because there wasn't any space left for FireWire...

The were able to fit it on the Mac Mini. In fact, same size as the original, now it has more ports and more stuff inside, and still has firewire. Space is not the issue here. They could have included it.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #266 of 506
she should have bought some boobs with that cash, better deal than the crap PC.
post #267 of 506
No. The reason why Blu-ray is still relevant is that, in the US, very fast broadband connections aren't common. If you have a 256kbps DSL link or, worse, you're still using a modem, you won't be watching HD movies. Even with a T1, SD movies are okay if nobody else is using the link, but HD is pretty much impossible.

Also, Blu-ray is important because "when is the last time you backed up your 1TB hard disk to 4.7GB DVD's?"
post #268 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The HDX 16 ships with the 64 bit version of Windows. It can utilize up to 8Gb.

It's actually a very nice machine. No glossy screen, a number pad on the keyboard, HDMI out, memory card slot. The RAM is a little slower, but it's also a LOT less expensive. If it ran OS X, I'd much rather have the HDX 16 than a Macbook Pro. It's nearly the same on the specs it shares, and has extra features that the Macbook does not, for half the price.

If you are doing video you want glossy. In fact all displays are manufactured glossy. The matte isn't called a finish for nothing, they add an anti-reflective layer that actually distorts the light and color.

I greatly appreciate the dual-graphics adapters in my MBP. Also, when I have a problem I go to the apple store.

Good luck getting competent help at Fry's or even Best Buy for that matter. Both have craptastic customer service and horrible repair and return policies.
post #269 of 506
I am seriously wondering,

how much does that plastic bag of software worth?
post #270 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

No. The reason why Blu-ray is still relevant is that, in the US, very fast broadband connections aren't common. If you have a 256kbps DSL link or, worse, you're still using a modem, you won't be watching HD movies. Even with a T1, SD movies are okay if nobody else is using the link, but HD is pretty much impossible.

Also, Blu-ray is important because "when is the last time you backed up your 1TB hard disk to 4.7GB DVD's?"

I'm sorry but there is very little rationale behind spending $34 every time you want to backup your 1TB disk. Just buy another drive and keep differential archives, or mirror your disk even. The use of BD-R for backup is really not the best thing it has going for it. Besides if you want Blu-ray movies buy a player, why the hell would you want to watch a 1080p flick on your 15.4" display. Kinda of a waste.
post #271 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrod182 View Post

I'm sorry but there is very little rationale behind spending $34 every time you want to backup your 1TB disk. Just buy another drive and keep differential archives, or mirror your disk even. The use of BD-R for backup is really not the best thing it has going for it. Besides if you want Blu-ray movies buy a player, why the hell would you want to watch a 1080p flick on your 15.4" display. Kinda of a waste.

Physical removable media is going bye-bye, especially in light of many services, apps, features, being consolidated on singular devices, like the iPhone.

Everything is done (and stored) online or on local networks.

In terms of the App Store, AppleTV, (to some degree current products from Western Digital and others), the Macbook Air, the iPhone . . . Apple puts the user ahead of the wave. And the rest of the industry follows suit (that is, follows the innovation leader) at a later date.

It doesn't matter what the average person has NOW. Apple is showing them and us what we'll all be using. I'm not going to invest in dying, bulky, unwieldy technology, which is the insert-a-disc-into-a-player paradigm. All that crap takes up way too much space as well.

I no longer even have DVDs or even a DVD player. I enjoy everything online and stream HD to my LCD TV. And SAVE A TON OF $$$ to boot!
post #272 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrod182 View Post

she should have bought some boobs with that cash...

Unfortunately, you're not the first to make that sad comment.
post #273 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrod182 View Post

she should have bought some boobs with that cash, better deal than the crap PC.

I'm a PC and I look like a tranny.

Dumb chick makes dumb choice based on advice from dumb guy!
Apple has nothing to worry about.

These points were pretty much already stated, but I'll just restate them anyways to drive home the point:

1. Mac OS X's memory management doesn't suck like Vista.

2. Good luck running Final Cut (Pro) on a PC (you're not going to)

3. Every professional film crew I've seen on behind the scene type stuff or interviews are using Macs, so it doesn't take a professional film editor to know that Macs are the industry standard in that field.

4. APPS APPS APPS. You get iMovie out of the box with a Mac which is above and beyond anything you'll find on a PC out of the box. I tried video editing on a PC and it was just a nightmare. Third party software is hit or miss (mostly miss), and I found Adobe Premiere to be a little rough around the edges, which is unfortunate because that's probably the best video editing software you'll find on a PC.

5. Reliability. I don't even need to explain this.
post #274 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Apple has a factory over seas make their boards... the same company that makes PC laptop boards (my original MBP had a Foxconn board). The chipsets are the same, the graphics cards are the same (mind you, there are two in this particular model, though any PC maker could do the same thing) processors are the same. Apple uses the same Hard Drives as other folks, the same RAM, the same Realtek compatible audio cards. Its the same... what more do I need to prove? Open up an Apple, and open up a PC, and take a look at the manufacturers of the chips inside. Tons of similarities. The differences are the EFI, and the OS. That's it. They take parts from other vendors and put them in their boxes, just like other computer companies, and its the same components!

Any one else want to back me up here? iStink, usually you have something to say.

in most cases no
apple uses top of the line stuff
wintel on there high end may match apple
but most others use the cheapest of the shelf junk . they are working on razor thin margins
re fubished components abound in wintel machines .
plus mac has machine tooled alum laptops now >>>> how green is that !!!

there are some good non apple machines out there . its just that they cost more than a mac .
dude ever wonder why us fan boys are so ....
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #275 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

She should use that $2000 to get a breast enlargement - ((zing!!))!!

Was the $2K you spent on Penis enlargement worth it?
post #276 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

The only reason there is no FireWire is because the machine has better GPU and if they offered FireWire, pros could edit on the MacBook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

AND because there wasn't any space left for FireWire...

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but they'd have to shorten the battery size, though it's already a little smaller than in the previous generation, and then move the HDD over a little to add the ports, but that is not aesthetically pleasing when the panel is removed. If I'm wrong, if Apple makes the battery non-user removable without adding additional ports.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I no longer even have DVDs or even a DVD player.

I was in a strip mall last week with a Blockbuster. I decided to go in for the sake of it. It had been years since I've rented a DVD. It was a bit odd and nostalgic to see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by was the lack of Blu-ray movies to rent. It seems by the time that DVD had players for a couple hundred dollars that that video rental stores had a lot more DVDs on the shelves. Does this mean that Blu-ray isn't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #277 of 506
why is the Bk Value meal ad on this site?
post #278 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

AND because there wasn't any space left for FireWire...

I removed the Einstein comment, was in a bad mood, nothing personal, my apologies.

Really.

With regard to FW, I think they could place it in no problem, its a standard that is needed until USB 3 becomes the norm and you can mount images. Even from a non PRO VIDEO point of view, all macs should be able to mount.


The argument Apple removed it for fear of pro use can be argued all the way back to the X3000 GMA (can't recall name) where benchmarks went from 70% to 171% in OPENGL, on a macbook and keeping in mind you could never play a game on it, it was reported that you could run motion and FCP, so pple release a newer GPU a few weeeks laters that DROPPED the OPENGL score all the way down to 70% again, affecting only the PRO users as it affected knowone else. Think about it. Apple goes after the smallest segment and replaces the GMA with a worse one as 1% of the market was doing FCP on the MAC BOOK, therefore when the new one came out with the NVIDIA on-board, you just KNEW WAY BEFORE HAND, that Apple would somehow screw the PRO user and they did, as you can run these app's but you cannot connect a PRO VIDEO camera to them.

Once again, Apple screws with those who kept them afloat while JOBS feed us LIES on how the G4 was better than Athlon's (at the time), then screws with us once iPhone users become their Bread and Butter. Apple could have released FIREWIRE, don't be fooled, it has nothing to do with space and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PRO APPS and STEALING MARKETSHARE FROM OVERPRICED MACBOOK PROS.
post #279 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but they'd have to shorten the battery size, though it's already a little smaller than in the previous generation, and then move the HDD over a little to add the ports, but that is not aesthetically pleasing when the panel is removed. If I'm wrong, if Apple makes the battery non-user removable without adding additional ports.



I was in a strip mall last week with a Blockbuster. I decided to go in for the sake of it. It had been years since I've rented a DVD. It was a bit odd and nostalgic to see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by was the lack of Blu-ray movies to rent. It seems by the time that DVD had players for a couple hundred dollars that that video rental stores had a lot more DVDs on the shelves. Does this mean that Blu-ray isn't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?

Well, the jump from videocassettes was huge. The jump from DVD to . . . another DVD technology (which fits more stuff onto a DVD and gives you a nicer picture, though not a hologram or 3D, LOL) is not as great. At all. And it's an expensive proposition. You can rent your Blu ray flicks, if you can actually find the ones you want. Or you can buy them for an arm and a leg. And you can just add them to the ever growing PILE of DVDs you already have. On shiny discs that need to be in cases. LOL. This stuff was cool 4 years ago. But it's laughable now.

Blu ray HD is great. Just not on shiny circular discs that need yet another player in order to view them. Especially when I can fit an assload more data onto a much smaller and resilient SD card or USB key, and just plug it into several kinds of devices already, if I really want movable media, and add to it and erase from it to my heart's content. Any file type, too. You get the idea . . .
post #280 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can still edit on the MB and the need for FW for cams is waning. I know what you are saying, but if FW was needed then the cheap $999 should be fine since it has FW400 and the 9400M over the X3100. The major reason for the drop now was that FW400 was low man on the totem pole of required ports. There isn't the room. If Apple feels the 17" MBP's extra-long, non-removable battery is worthwhile I think we'll be seeing that change with the other notebooks. They also same money from the assembly and mechanics, but it will allow them to add more ports. Why? Because they would now be able to use more of the sides, where as they could not with the battery and HDD pressed up against it. Apple could just keep the same setup and add the port, but



I was in a strip mall last week with a Blo o see all those shelves with DVDs. What I was most surprised by 't as popular as some want us to believe and/or that brick-n-mortar optical media rentals just can't afford the investment?


i will miss fire wire .
i hope they keep it . the data just rockets along .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad