or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad - Page 10

post #361 of 506
Pic of Sponge Bob at http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...ts-Posters.jpg
post #362 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStink View Post

I gotta admit, I see better looking girls with macs normally

But they can't beat girls hanging out with people owning Ferraris, Porsches... no way
post #363 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Don't be so obtuse.

Marketing is all about IMAGE.

What image are the MS ads communicating? Would YOU want to be associated with that image?

Yuck.

A lot of people don't want to be associated with smug Mac guy in Apple commercials, too.

That dude is completely artificial. People in MS commercial, like them or not, do represent normal, everyday people much better.
post #364 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Makes no difference, really.

Blu ray physical media is a dying technology. It was intrduced too late. The future (and ever-growing in the present) will be AppleTV-like devices that access online HD content. Wetstern Digital and Popcorn Hour already provide some of these solutions, though not every one includes wireless.

Blu ray players and Blu ray physical, movable media will soon be obsolete. It will go the way of physical sofware media. We get everything online now, donwnloaded. Just look at the App Store. That's the future, and it's already happening.

By the time majority will be able to DL high definition program, BR will be obsolete and something new will replace it - or not. But we are talking about years... downloading video for iPod is a bit different matter...
post #365 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If she's a filmmaker, she shouldn't even be going anywhere near PC junk boxes.

Sh should be lookng at a Mac. The tools for the Mac in this area are positively unmatched. By far.

MS will do and say anything to pawn their garbage off on people.

Of course, for users such as her, the usual Mac-envy will inevitably ensue in due course, as it has historically for so many other users, and continues.

OK so I'm not much in video; Pinnacle Studio is munching my home videos, but that is about it.

What tools on Mac are unmatched? Serious question. I have no idea.
post #366 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by psxndc View Post

I registered just to respond to this. Are you serious?? NO ONE knows the difference between DDR2 and DDR3, except MAYBE people that post on boards like this.

Nope. Many people here don't know the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 either.
post #367 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1974 View Post

The commercial, which can be seen below, ends before Sheila can begin her search for a viable video editing application to cut her video.

Yeah! Good luck with your budget!

Wise decision Sheila!

HOW CAN U BE SO STUUUUUPID!!!!

On the other hand, here we have typical Mac user

Just kiddin'
post #368 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleye View Post

Depends what you need it for, I'm still very happy with my $699 PC laptop, no complaints. I use it for work on a daily basis. Using it right now.

Yes, but you are using it without experience. ()
post #369 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1974 View Post

Sure, but when you add to the equation that you have to use a PC and run Windows instead of OSX, then the results point back to going for a Mac.

And that would be because..?
post #370 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

..
if it ran os x duh
thats the whole point
the hp may seem ok .. >
until you spend days getting rid of the bloat ware and un-installing vista or installing vista
more days getting some odd movie software getting up and running
all the while fighting off cold's viruses
you then wonder why nothing seems to work . the printer doesn't print
on and on
cool .. you finally make a movie . looks so good . and then crash .. all you data
is gone . you then make you 5 th tech support call in a week ...welcome to the 20 yr old wintel world .

by the way my movie i made on my newly opened mac book 13 in was done in 3 hrs from scratch including .
song clips from my music itunes file
photo's from my iphoto files
all of these things and more synced from the start

yes yes you may be a computer geek dude who can get a wintel box to work fast . sadly ypu are only one out of 99 who is not screwed badly by the windows world

my first fraking post
urgg

First post? You shouldn't have bothered at all.

It is really amazing how much Mac users know about Windows crashing, viruses, printers not printing... they obviously know much more than us poor Windows users, because most things they "know" about Windows, we have never seen or experienced. I'm guessing most of that vast knowledge is coming from "Get a Mac" commercials. Maybe that is reason why Mac is considered strong with education..?
post #371 of 506
With regard to track pinch an apple website said that at first many users used thing like pinch but after 2 weeks 80% andnhigh said they never used it INS regular basis.

Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Hey, it happens. Don't forget that Asus manufactured the iBooks.

Apple also swapped out 2 of my plastic MacBooks due to build quality failures before switching me to the unibody MacBook.



Apple controls the prices of Macs. You're extremely unlikely to find a current generation Mac being sold for more than $50 less than MSRP.



Better quality? Yeah, thats why the plastic MacBooks were known for build quality failures. The previous generation MBPs were known for denting, scratching, and warping due to heat.

Better support? Hmm. If something goes wrong with my Mac at this very moment I'm typing this, I can't call Apple. AppleCare is closed! I have to wait until Monday to set up a shipment. But before they do that, since I'm passed the 90 day support period, I have to provide a credit card which they'll auto-charge $60 and then refund if my problem is determined to be hardware.

OS X? Thats a down point for me. Leopard is not as good as Windows.



Interesting how you missed the part of my post where I said I like Vista over Leopard and Tiger.

Oh and about 10x as many people are using Vista as there are Mac users total



Would you like a picture? How about a scan of the receipt?



I hate touch pads. All of them. Multi-touch is a gimmick. Ooooh I can zoom in and out in Preview and flip pictures in iPhoto. I don't use Safari and I alt-tab/command-tab through windows because its faster than Expose, so its basically useless to me. Oh and Windows setup of zooming in and out of pictures in the preview app is better. Use the scroll wheel/bar/whatever to zoom in and out. Much faster than pinching or unpinching and doesn't require multiple attempts to get what you want.



Actually, you'd have to buy the mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and then the HDMI cable. So you'd still need 2 cables. Plus the mini DisplayPort on Macs isn't capable of passing audio, so you'd still need an audio cable. On top of that, if you're running blu-ray (not possible in OS X but is in Windows), since you're stuck with optical audio, you can't pass the higher quality higher resolution formats, like Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master HD, or 8 channel uncompressed LPCM.

And who uses HDMI? Everyone. Starting in 2006, HDMI started to become a standard. By the end of 2007, it was difficult to find a notebook without HDMI out. Now its near impossible unless you look at Netbooks.

Every respectable LCD display out there has had HDMI for several years now. GPU manufacturers have been dropping DVI to HDMI adapters in boxes for just as long, plus many GPUs ship with HDMI as standard, as well as the ability to pass the higher resolution audio formats and 8 channel uncompressed LPCM.



Because you know what I said is true. Show me a Mac with HDMI, card readers built-in, quad-core CPUs in notebooks, better than low mid-range GPUs, blu-ray, etc.



They don't? Hmm. My UniBody MacBook has an LG screen, LG optical drive, Intel processor, nvidia chipset and GPU, some "Apple" branded RAM that is usually Samsung RAM rebranded, and a Hitachi HDD. My friend's MacBook Pro has an Intel processor, LG screen, LG optical drive, Intel chipset, nvidia GPU, Samsung RAM, you get the idea. My HP has an LG optical drive, LG screen, Intel processor, Intel chipset, nvidia GPU, Hitachi HDD, you get the idea The Dell Studio XPS 13 ships with an Intel processor, nvidia chipset + GPU, RAM from Samsung or other manufacturers, LG screens (or those from the same manufacturers Apple chooses), Hitachi, Seagate, etc HDDs, etc. You get the idea.

Apple's components are EXACTLY the same as PCs. The only difference is the casing, which is aluminum or a very low quality plastic.



Again, would you like to see my receipt? How about the receipt on the system in a picture?

I could have gotten the MacBook Pro the day I made the original purchase. Even though I was a blind Apple fanboy at that point, I wasn't that stupid.



Are you serious? Do some googling. Despite the bad economy, Blu-ray's market share is DOUBLE what DVDs market share was at the same point in its life. When DVD was 2.5 years old, it had 4% market share. Blu-ray is currently at 8%. Blu-ray's market share doubled in 2008. The format IS taking off.

Blu-rays quality can't be seen on smaller screens? That too, is an outrageous statement that couldn't be any more wrong. To put it simply, even 720p screen is still pushing nearly 1,000,000 pixels. Standard definition DVD has a resolution 345,600. So even at 720p, blu-ray is pushing 2.6x the resolution of DVD. You also have to consider the fact that H.264 and VC-1 blu-ray discs are running at bitrate of anywhere from 20Mbps to 45Mbps. DVDs tend to run around 4.5Mbps encoded using MPEG-2. Even the old blu-ray MPEG-2 discs have a bitrate of around 20Mbps.

So, you're just flat out wrong in this case. Even on the small 720p screens, blu-ray will push that display to its full potential while DVD has to be upscaled over 2.5 times to reach native resolution.

And video on demand? Nah. Cable and satellite video services do reasonably well. But theres far too many problems with downloadable movies for them to ever challenge blu-ray.

One being is that the standard definition movies aren't even DVD quality. Sure they have the same resolution, but theres no hardware upscaling for the video codecs they use. So on high def displays, the video gets stretched and pixelized. Very few of them offer 5.1 surround sound as well. And those few that do have a lower bitrate Dolby Digital track than the DVD. Then theres the 720p "HD" version that Apple/iTunes and others try to pass off as HD. Those are all encoded at about 4.5Mbps. Excuse me? 4.5Mbps for 720p video? iTunes HD videos have so much compression artifacting that they don't even beat a good upscaled DVD. Sure they have more native pixels, but the compression artifacts are worse than cable. And, again, the issue of hardware upscaling. There is none. So on a 1080p display, you have to double the resolution in software which results in the image just being blown up and those compression artifacts being exaggerated. Not to mention the fact that iTunes HD movie purchases cost just as much as or sometimes more than the blu-ray disc.

And whats this about convenience? iTunes "HD" movies come in at around 4.5GB on average. I have a 10Mbps connection. Most people have less than half of that. If I want to download an iTunes HD movie, its going to take me more than an hour, assuming their servers feed me the movie at full speed. I can drive to the video store and get the blu-ray disc and be back before the movies even 10% downloaded. That leads me to the next problem with "On Demand" services like iTunes.

The DRM. If I buy an HD movie from iTunes, I can ONLY watch it on my computer or on an Apple TV. The SD version it comes with will play on my iPod and iPhone. If I want to play the HD movie on a display other than the built-in display on my MacBook, I need an entirely new cable set up to be HDCP compliant, since the MDP to HDMI cable didn't exist when I got my adapter and I didn't want to spend $50 on a MDP to DVI adapter plus DVI to HDMI setup.

WIth blu-ray and a PC, all it takes is one cable, no adapters and you're all set and compliant.

And what if I rent the SD version? It'll play on my Mac, PC, iPhone, or an Apple TV is I had one. Oh but guess what? It won't play on my 80GB 5.5G iPod that is newer than blu-ray and cost nearly twice as much as my Profile 2.0 blu-ray player did. Why won't it play movie rentals? Because that would be a "new feature" and Apple claims that SOX tells them they can't add "new features" without charging, which is complete and utter BS.

So again, the DRM. I have to have specific adapters and cables to play the HD movies, spend hours downloading, and spend MORE money renting or buying them than I would on blu-ray discs. On top of that, SD movies aren't guaranteed to play on all of my hardware, despite the fact that one of my pieces of hardware is not even 2 years old and cost more than my blu-ray player did.

Let's look at what else Apple did as far as DRM goes. Starting in 2007 with the iPhone, iPod classic, iPod nano 3G, and iPod touch, Apple locked out all 3rd party video accessories that don't include an Apple authentication chip. So on top of all of the other nonsense I mentioned, your movies aren't guaranteed to always be playable because Apple might decide to switch standards again and lock out everything you own forcing you to either give up everything or buy all new hardware again.



No, they don't. Apple uses the same nvidia chipset that Dell, HP, and others use. It's also the same chipset found in many desktop motherboards and upcoming "Ion" based netbooks. Theres absolutely NOTHING special about a Mac motherboard.

Before the 9400M, Apple used Intel Santa Rosa and Napa chipsets, the same exact chipsets you'd find in every other Intel based notebook PC.
post #372 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

By the time majority will be able to DL high definition program, BR will be obsolete and something new will replace it - or not. But we are talking about years... downloading video for iPod is a bit different matter...

Obama has a federal broadband intiative. Blue ray looks awesome. The only reason apple doesn't have it is due to apple tv looking very subpar in comparison.
post #373 of 506
At the end of the commercial she has a Laptop in the box and a carrier bag. What's in the carrier bag? My guess would be:
  • The Virus Software she needs for the PC
  • The £800 video editing software she'll need
  • A manual of Windows Error codes
  • And a large stick to beat some Sanity back into her

Really folks does Microsoft really expect us to buy the fact that any "Video Artist" would rather be using a PC than a MacBook Pro?

Another example that proves these are (poor) actors and not "real" people!
post #374 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

First post? You shouldn't have bothered at all.

It is really amazing how much Mac users know about Windows crashing, viruses, printers not printing... they obviously know much more than us poor Windows users, because most things they "know" about Windows, we have never seen or experienced. I'm guessing most of that vast knowledge is coming from "Get a Mac" commercials. Maybe that is reason why Mac is considered strong with education..?

It's oleo funny that many don't know apple back of house have virus protection inthe reatail stores, graphic issues and daily airport stops working, beach ball spins all the time even with load of ram, bootup can take 2 minutes or more on a laptop, and has it's own sharenof issues and thsinis after running all he scripts and oyns to cleanrepair.
post #375 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

First post? You shouldn't have bothered at all.

It is really amazing how much Mac users know about Windows crashing, viruses, printers not printing... they obviously know much more than us poor Windows users, because most things they "know" about Windows, we have never seen or experienced. I'm guessing most of that vast knowledge is coming from "Get a Mac" commercials. Maybe that is reason why Mac is considered strong with education..?

That's why we are Mac Users you moron! We've seen how the other side of things works and don't like what we see. I switched 12 years ago and since then have never had to reinstall a system, deal with virus, sort out corrupt drivers or wait 5 minutes before my computer boots up and is ready to use. My wife on the other hand is still a PC user and in the 7 years we have been together we have had 3 PC's all of which have fallen over at least 3 times are year!

The funniest thing about your post is you choose to right an anti-mac comment on a Mac website? What were you doing here in the first place?

Now go back to Scandisking, Defragging and Virus Checking your beloved PC you retard!
post #376 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucom View Post

If she's a serious video artist, what the heck is she going to do with a PC??

If you are a pro, and you want to be taken seriously, there's no way around Final Cut Studio.

Avid..? Adobe Premiere/After Effects/..?

Again, out of my ignorance on this matter. Is Final Cut really that much (or at all) better than above mentioned titles? All I know is they all are considered pro solutions.
post #377 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

hey hey i only state what i hear and see . i am happy for you and any one who has a great time using any computer . the fact that apple makes the machine and the software makes for a better computer . as opposed to windows bloated virus attacked software being put on one of a dozen or 2 different machines all fighting each other for the lowest possible priced machine to bring to market . NOT ALL WINTEL MACHINES ARE SHODDY made .. but my dear mac friend many many are !
it is a world of lowest common denominator . no offence intended

peace

And Macs never-ever had problems with freezing graphics, bad soldiering, vertical/horizontal/whatever lines over the screen, cracking cases..?

I really don't get all those theories about Macs general build quality supremacy, when even obviously biased site like AI keeps posting articles about various Mac problems with alarming frequency...
post #378 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

Premier Elements will get you a similar end result, but no where near as fast and fun... it doesn't do real-time previews for example. It's about $100. I've used it plenty on a PC, and it is the best of the consumer-end apps on a PC. That said, I couldn't stand it any more and it was the compelling reason I went to a Mac.

As I said, I'm not expert - or even "expert" in video editing - but googling for video editing comparisons on Windows platform, I came to conclusion that Premiere Elements is very unpopular on PC. It seems to me that titles like Pinnacle Studio 12, Sony Vegas and Corel Video Studio are better designed and better performing than Premiere Elements, for the same money...
post #379 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

What "premium" are you willing to pay then? 50 bucks? 100?

One thing I've learned after ten years of being a Mac Fanboy and spending the 10 previous that as a windows tech support specialist is that a lot of people are just cheap.

I always drove Dodge trucks, and Ford Cars. Then I got a Benz. I paid a premium for it, and it was used, but you know what? It smokes everything else I've ever driven. There simply is no comparison to brilliant, precision engineering. I WANT that in my life. I want the reliability, I want the peace of mind, I want the unparalleled aesthetic.

You do too, so stop complaining, because you're clearly willing to pay whatever premium you paid for your mac, and the only thing you have to gripe about is a few dollars more you spent on it?

And how many viruses have you had? How many times has your mac BSOD'd?

Its all perspective. You don't think about the stress you've missed until its right up in your face asking "Cancel or Allow?"

But if your Benz happened to have, say, same engine, gearbox, shock absorbers, tires as your Ford car... only in better looking body and (arguably) better dashboard... would you still feel the same.

This BWM/Merc vs. Fors is the second most common stereotype I keep hearing here. Has Apple managed to have exotic, Apple-exclusive guts with performance killing anything Intel/AMD has, it would make sense.

But it does not. Processors, chipsets, graphics, HDDs... are exactly the same. I've heard stories about better quality parts in Macs than in PCs, but no one provided evidence to that, so until that happens - no matter how much repeated they are - they are still just stories.

And I have never-ever seen white BMW cracking all over the body... \

And I have never-ever had BSOD on any of my 4 Vista computers. Maybe it is just my good luck, but my "Audis" work for me just fine.
post #380 of 506
Many people say that Apple is a hardware company who produces software in order to sell their hardware. Microsoft is definitely a software company. It's interesting that Apple's ads focus on software and Microsoft focuses totally on hardware.
post #381 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Nope. Many people here don't know the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 either.

every year, switchers and hack builders come to mac, if you mean 100% brain washed, jobs can do no wrong, you are correct, otherwise the mac pro user who in the studio had pcs for prgrams like Higa studio in multi million dollar studios and aforementioned swithchers, you are wrong, they all know about FSB, bios, oveclock, gigabertz whichnmatters again as a2.2 is slower than a 2.8 duo core, psu, and much more. The mac users and I know mac genius ( who are nothing other than procedure dudes that run a cd program to see if there's abproblem and wouldn't know an oso scopenif it hit them in the eye, to the more common and slowly dying, "oh I don't know that, I just use it, followed by sweety and beings guy, well yeah, they are clueless. Andbyour a dying bread. Today new user is a mac pro MacBook air macbook pro user that loves the is and software, the eye candy, hates vista but loves windows 7, but thinks apple is over prices and gets some macs for free, one studio I know received 5 free mac pros and fcp suites, today new users are the ones complaining. The other .01.5 percent non pro, consumer, iPod must have everything jobs is ckuess. Yeah you're right. In fact, google how to overclock a mac and see all the returns you get, all of them will be since intel transition and not rromthe over hyper lied by jobs g4 is faster than athlon crowd.
post #382 of 506
Would you like me to post screen shots from apple retail back of house computersvthat show all macs running virus software from the retail stores????


How about that win 7!doesn't crash or that thousands if fortune 500 companies in xp are going to upgrade to win 7, or how sp2 fixed all vista problems and that windows 7 will support touch out of the box and that unlike vista, win 7 will be the only os msftbwill reallybhave to deal with. Win 7 is going to be big. Even some mac friends like it and ironically, they say they love the media software for video, blue ray and ease of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaostheory7 View Post

At the end of the commercial she has a Laptop in the box and a carrier bag. What's in the carrier bag? My guess would be:
  • The Virus Software she needs for the PC
  • The £800 video editing software she'll need
  • A manual of Windows Error codes
  • And a large stick to beat some Sanity back into her

Really folks does Microsoft really expect us to buy the fact that any "Video Artist" would rather be using a PC than a MacBook Pro?

Another example that proves these are (poor) actors and not "real" people!
post #383 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Avid..? Adobe Premiere/After Effects/..?

Again, out of my ignorance on this matter. Is Final Cut really that much (or at all) better than above mentioned titles? All I know is they all are considered pro solutions.

All mac pros that use video like bravo say if your serious, you use after effects.
Fail.
post #384 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

And Macs never-ever had problems with freezing graphics, bad soldiering, vertical/horizontal/whatever lines over the screen, cracking cases..?

I really don't get all those theories about Macs general build quality supremacy, when even obviously biased site like AI keeps posting articles about various Mac problems with alarming frequency...

mac has problems also . i never said they did not.
dude
nothing lasts
but my freind there is a world of difference between alot of the junk made out there .
apple has a very high level of production
higher end dells and others also keep a keen eye .
having stated this .

i will say that many >not all< BUT many p/c compaines work on razor thin margins . there is zippo unique amoung the herd so price becomes almost everything .
the worklers they use are treated like farm field pickers .
the internal parts they use are off the shelf and never ever current parts . re furb parts are also widely used accross the board.

its the lowest common denominator
just like vista windows world panders to the lowest common denominator .

many many mac are still in use today .. they tend to last longer
the apple owners also take better care of there machines . i own 5 mac right now down from 9 .

do you own a mac ??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #385 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

First post? You shouldn't have bothered at all.

It is really amazing how much Mac users know about Windows crashing, viruses, printers not printing... they obviously know much more than us poor Windows users, because most things they "know" about Windows, we have never seen or experienced. I'm guessing most of that vast knowledge is coming from "Get a Mac" commercials. Maybe that is reason why Mac is considered strong with education..?

wtf
are you blabbing about

are you a window user ?? then why troll on a mac sight ??

i me brucep have watched all the window shit happen all around me since 1988.
i have worked on 2 window machines and i have see WITH MY very own eyes the bloated world of gates . feel free to address any of my points one by one and i will respond . but please stop the troll shit

dude
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #386 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sheila ultimately settles on a version of HP's 16-inch HP HDX 16t, which includes 4GB of slower DDR2 memory, a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB of video memory, and a display with a maximum resolution of 1366x768, compared to the MacBook Pro's 1440x900 max resolution.

That's absolutely normal for a person, who looks for laptop to do filmmaking and cutting video (oh, yeah, splitting video by scratching touchpad and peering at the screen of 17" as best). And for a person who can tell fast modern processors from slow ones.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #387 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooliness View Post

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand unless the notebook is running a 64 bit version of windows it can't use more than 2.5 G of that slower 4G. Strangely they don't mention that too often.

3.5 GB is the limit, although less is more often the case.
post #388 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?



Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

Never mind that to be quite frank, you don't need as much RAM under OS X as you do under Vista!!!
post #389 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Have you seen a I'm a mac and I'm a pc commercial lately? I'm pretty sure Apple's doing a great job selling bullshit also.

Nothing like this.

Apple deals in a little hyperbole, Microsoft is all bullshit here
post #390 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

I would hope most "average" users that plan on spending $2000 on a computer would understand the difference between DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, and that you need a 64 bit processor to use 4GB of RAM.

I can't think of too many people that would plunk down $2000 and NOT know what they're getting.

Core 2 Duo is a 64-bit processor. The emphasis is on needing the 64-bit version of Windows over the 32-bit and unlike the beliefs of some on these forums, it is in fact quite common for a machine with 4GB of RAM to be shipped using only a 32-bit version of Windows. (Thus .5GB is not used; leaving the user with 3.5GB that is used by a RAM hungry/inefficient Vista - this is of course assuming the address space isn't used up and the user isn't left with 3GB, or even less)

It isn't just the RAM either, while the HDX 16t does use a 1066FSB, a lot of the others out there don't - in fact, the vast majority don't. They're on slower 800FSBs or less.

*ALL* new MacBooks use 1066FSB or higher, even the white MacBook. Although there is one weakness, the white MacBook still uses DDR2-667 RAM, but *ALL* others use DDR3-1066.

Since we're talking about the "average user", where's mention of iWork and Office? Let's face it - I'm a fan of Office over iWork (blasphemy, I know), but...

The average user doesn't need all of those extras, iWork can use and create Word, Excel and Powerpoint files quite effectively and do all the average user ever needs to do. iWork is an extra $40 with purchase of a new Mac ($79 retail), Office 2007 Home and Student (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) is $149 retail, $119 last I saw added with an HP. No one includes it free. Where's that in these comparisons?

* Side note: Microsoft's "Home and Student" edition of Office 2008 (Mac) has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage. Microsoft's "Home and Student" edition of Office 2007 (Windows) has Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Anyone find it funny that you get "more" with the Mac version?
post #391 of 506
Check out this totally gay commercial for M$ Songsmith. If I'm not mistaken M$ even used a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp to make the commercial, ROTFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E
post #392 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasJetta View Post

Check out this totally gay commercial for M$ Songsmith. If I'm not mistaken M$ even used a MacBook Pro running Bootcamp to make the commercial, ROTFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

That ruined my Sunday. I really hate you now!

That is a MBP, but from MS' standpoint they get a lot more money from a retail purchase of Windows for a MBP than an OEM copy pre-installed on other vendor's machines.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #393 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That ruined my Sunday. I really hate you now!

That is a MBP, but from MS' standpoint they get a lot more money from a retail purchase of Windows for a MBP than an OEM copy pre-installed on other vendor's machines.


True but the real point of this is that they have terrible commercials, poorly written bloated software and over inflated prices for their poorly written software. If they would ever get their heads out of their butts and do something about those issues they would have no problems getting back to their glory days.
post #394 of 506
*is a Mac user*

*posts on the Internet about video editing applications*

*has never made anything on his Mac worth a shit in his entire life*
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #395 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Prof View Post

AAPL needs to respond to these ads at some point. If there is ever a time where differentiating on price is emphasized, it's in these current economic times.

well i noticed that somebody's replied to you already, but let me join in and tell you NO... apple doesn't need to to and will never reply to these ads cuz seriously these ads are way too lame to be taken seriously. they are meant for the really dumb and the only point they really make is that apple gives you less of a choice... obviously 1 company vs many many...
and ya what will apple say anyway??

just listen to Steve ballmer talking about apple and you'll know how much he hates it cuz he knows apple's way better... microsoft is just getting desperate with these ads and thats a good sign...
post #396 of 506
Yeah, because all of hollywood is editing on an HP.
post #397 of 506
With the shitty glass display on the new 15 inch MacBook Pro's I'd say they aren't much for editing either.
post #398 of 506
A notebook in general isn't the best editing tool. Film sets I work on all you see are MacBook Pro's. No one cares about the glossy display

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

With the shitty glass display on the new 15 inch MacBook Pro's I'd say they aren't much for editing either.
post #399 of 506
Quote:
. apple doesn't need to to and will never reply to these ads cuz seriously these ads are way too lame to be taken seriously

proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #400 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?



Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

As an Apple Sys admin, I have to say that upgrading the RAM on the new MBP is actually pretty tough. You have to take out the battery, remove about 8 tiny screws, and unsnap the entire bottom casing. After you do that, you'll see ALL the guts of the machine, which would probably scare off the average user. Hey, at least the hard drive's easy to get to now.

Still, 2GB of DDR3 RAM isn't that bad at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad