or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad

Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad - Page 2

post #41 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStink View Post

oh btw everyone vegas movie studio 9 is like 55 bucks. Why does everyone think it'll cost 300 dollars to match imovie?
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudio

Like most HPs, the HDX comes with Muvee Reveal anyway. It's basic, but easy to use and quite capable for most people's use.
post #42 of 506
I seriously love macs and especially mac os x, but I am very pleased with these ads from MS.
They are 100% right hammering Apple on the pricing of Macs. These prices are unjustified in my opinion. I am willing to pay some premium on a Mac but there is a difference between premium and outright insane pricing. The worst of the lot is the Mac Pro. There is just no excuse for a single Quad processor desktop to cost so much money. It makes me angry.
If the Xeon is so pricey, Apple should offer a Mac Pro with a single iCore7 quad for a normal price.
I hate the iMac as it is not upgradable and I don't like it's casing. The MacBook / Pro are very nice but expensive as hell...

The more MS hammers Apple on the prices, the better it will be for us Mac users.

Dare I say "Go MS!"
post #43 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Actually, most HP Vista Machines with 4 GB of RAM ship with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Problem becomes clear when customer tries to install a lot of software that doesn't run well on 64 bit Windows, I had to downgrade one last week for that reason for a customer.

I have installed dozens of 32 bit applications ( for example Office, adobe CS3, Solid works, Autocad (hell, I got R14 working under vista 64, and that is like 12 years old), ) on Vista X64, with no issue: please provide examples of 32 bit apps breaking on Vista 64.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #44 of 506
With all this bashing of how much memory a 32-bit MS-Windows can access, does anyone have a good reference as to how much memory can be accessed by MacOS X 10.5?

From what I understand MacOS X 10.5 on a 64-bit processor is a 32-bit/64-bit hybrid: the OS is 64-bit, but any userland process is 32-bit. Can anyone elaborate?
post #45 of 506
Another ugly commercial with a hopelessly unattractive, white bread, Wal Mart-bait "actress."

What a metaphor for their products!

This will have ZERO effect on Apple's target market. But hey, keep 'em coming. Finally, these ads are showing the true face of MS: cheap, common, derivative.
post #46 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

About $300.

The dumb average user is always screwed when buying computer and in life. Nothing anyone can do to change that. Given that Winblows Sh1tsta needs 4 GB of RAM just to boot up in a reasonable amount of time that argument alone falls apart pretty fast.

Nevermind all the other factors such as viruses, having to reinstall windows and all your applications every 6 months, etc.

I like the fact that you refer to all users who buys a PC as dumb. So, I have PC and Mac, that only makes me half as dumb then. My PC is actually running much faster/better than my Mac but I like them both just as much. I luv Mac fanboys!!
post #47 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

The HDX 16 ships with the 64 bit version of Windows. It can utilize up to 8Gb.

It's actually a very nice machine. No glossy screen, a number pad on the keyboard, memory card slot. The RAM is a little slower, but it's also a LOT less expensive. If it ran OS X, I'd much rather have the HDX 16 than a Macbook Pro. It's nearly the same on the specs it shares, and has extra features that the Macbook does not, for half the price.

Could you please configure your "half the price" machine.
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=23-35547962-2

Don't forget to list and upgrade the OS, add the necessary software, upgrade the screen and keyboard, etc. Possible list all the features that the Macbook has that the HP doesn't.

Thank you.
post #48 of 506
What do you think the first thing one of her fellow "film students" is going to say to her when she shows up in class with this rig?
post #49 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano_tube View Post

I seriously love macs and especially mac os x, but I am very pleased with these ads from MS.
They are 100% right hammering Apple on the pricing of Macs. These prices are unjustified in my opinion. I am willing to pay some premium on a Mac but there is a difference between premium and outright insane pricing. The worst of the lot is the Mac Pro. There is just no excuse for a single Quad processor desktop to cost so much money. It makes me angry.
If the Xeon is so pricey, Apple should offer a Mac Pro with a single iCore7 quad for a normal price.
I hate the iMac as it is not upgradable and I don't like it's casing. The MacBook / Pro are very nice but expensive as hell...

The more MS hammers Apple on the prices, the better it will be for us Mac users.

Dare I say "Go MS!"

AMEN BROTHER

I love OSx, and would gladly pay a premium of say $100-200, but lets be real. I can get one of these for under $1300, and have as much ram and cpu and a better GPU than a $2500 MBP...I will pay a premium for a better product, but not a 100%+ premium.

And as an added bonus, the PC has a friggen HDMI and not some "open standard" that only apple uses, thus no $30+ of connectors to buy to connect it to a tv.
post #50 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Like most HPs, the HDX comes with Muvee Reveal anyway. It's basic, but easy to use and quite capable for most people's use.

Not according to HP. No software whatsoever.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...=HDX16t_series
post #51 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

What do you think the first thing one of her fellow "film students" is going to say to her when she shows up in class with this rig?

Being that MBPs are so expensive and students arent flush with cash, I would assume, they would ask the PC user for a loan to buy a display port to HDMI dongle for video monitoring.
post #52 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooleye View Post

I like the fact that you refer to all users who buys a PC as dumb. So, I have PC and Mac, that only makes me half as dumb then. My PC is actually running much faster/better than my Mac but I like them both just as much. I luv Mac fanboys!!

No, it jut makes you indecisive, at the worst.

And there is no way a PC with comparable hardware to a Mac wil run software faster or more relaibly than a closed system (Mac), in which the software is closely mated to the hardware.
post #53 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

She didn't buy a MacBook Pro because it only had 2Gb of RAM?

Why wouldn't you buy your own RAM from OWC or something? It'd still be cheaper than movie editing software comparable to iMovie (i.e. Premiere Elements or similar).

RAM is easy as pie to upgrade, even for someone not too familiar with computers...

Sure, it's easy to upgrade for you and me and pretty much anyone else if you walked them through it, but they probably wouldn't be comfortable with doing it and, more importantly, they probably have no idea what exactly RAM is and how little it costs or what more would do when they are looking for a machine. People interchange the terms RAM, CPU, and HDD all the time. This is one area that Apple's Mac sales from 3rd-party vendors are hurt because they usually only offer the default RAM size.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #54 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Another ugly commercial with a hopelessly unattractive, white bread, Wal Mart-bait "actress."

This will have ZERO effect on Apple's target market. But hey, keep 'em coming. Finally, these ads are showing the true face of MS: cheap, common, derivative.

I disagree, I thought she was decent looking, if that's what the walmart shoppers look like in your neck of the woods, I invite you to check out a walmart in baltimore maryland.
post #55 of 506
post #56 of 506
I don't think Apple has much to worry about from this campaign--M$ is basically just reinforcing Apple's "premium" brand, and when people go to look for themselves they will be pleasantly surprised to discover that they *can* afford a nice Mac with the features they need. Macs will seem like even more of a bargain than they would have, when the consumer realizes that they can get "sexy" for a price that compares well to the "cheap and ok" computers. Maybe Apple should run these ads on their website.

Compare it to Ford running a campaign about a person who would like to get a BMW but discovers that the one they want costs too much, so they get a Ford. Both will get you from point A to point B, and there is some feature overlap, but I think most people would agree that BMW makes more desirable cars in general, and Ford would be reinforcing this perception. If there were substantial overlap in pricing between the brands, it would be a terrible campaign for Ford.

Of course, Apple would love for everybody to buy their computers, but their strategy at this point seems to be to retain a "premium" image and keep their margins high by focusing on the upper end of the market, which seems to be working out for them quite well lately.
post #57 of 506
Quote:

No, it jut makes you indecisive, at the worst.

And there is no way a PC with comparable hardware to a Mac wil run software faster or more relaibly than a closed system (Mac), in which the software is closely mated to the hardware.

BULLSHIT, everybody uses comoddedy x86 and x64 chips, MS does just as muich tuning on their consumer OS kernal to the INTEL chips as apple does, hell, MS and intel work closly together to make sure that Windows can take advantage of new chip features (like ht back in the day and multithreading across Xeon/Pentium/Core chips starting with Windows XP and expanded with the codebase of Server 2003 whuich was the vista foundation.)

MS has been working with Intel on multithreading and maximising CPU usage since Apple was playing with those dinky G4 peices of shit (I speak as a former G4 owner, they sucked compared to the Intel boxes of the day, which is why Apple switched.)

Its all about the abstraction layers, Apple has Core* and windows has Direct X and Windows Foundation and .net, they tweak their code to work with the HAL, and the GPU drivers for both Mac and Windows are written by the people who designed the chips, at nvidia and AMD, so I would assume that they can tightly integrate the drivers to the hardware, hell they CREATED the hardware.
post #58 of 506
Man this makes you want to Slap her into next week when that PC dies.

Well you think Microsoft would have let he walk out the door with a Apple.

So I did a poll I work with tons od PC heads at my work but I asked like 10 people I said to you want is the best computer for Video Editing and Arts.

They all use PC's and every on of them said Mac. Heck one said a G6.

I just had to reg to post about this.
post #59 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

I disagree, I thought she was decent looking, if that's what the walmart shoppers look like in your neck of the woods, I invite you to check out a walmart in baltimore maryland.

Woodbridge VA is pretty bad too.

Manassas isn't so bad actually. I went to walmart the other day when we were having a good hot day and there was some pretty decent tang walking around.
post #60 of 506
Clearly this young lady didn't bother to read the most recent Consumer Reports before she went shopping. CR has a big article on buying a laptop computer. Apple MacBooks and MacBook Pros were #1 in every category and they were the only company that was Red (above average +) in reliablilty in every category.

If this were all legit, I wonder how many $1ks MS would have to give away before they actually found a "hunter" that actually bought a PC...?
post #61 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

AMEN BROTHER

I love OSx, and would gladly pay a premium of say $100-200, but lets be real. I can get one of these for under $1300, and have as much ram and cpu and a better GPU than a $2500 MBP...I will pay a premium for a better product, but not a 100%+ premium.

And as an added bonus, the PC has a friggen HDMI and not some "open standard" that only apple uses, thus no $30+ of connectors to buy to connect it to a tv.

so would you pay $500 for one with the same specs that was as big as a suitcase you had to lug around too? oh wait then it wouldn't be same specs.. cuz your only considering specs you care about. not everyone has the same needs. i'd gladly pay double for the same "spec" machine that is half the size and weight.
post #62 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStink View Post

This reminds me of how much coke and pepsi spend on advertising. Billions each year are put into sponsoring games, sticking ads on urinals, anything you can think of, and when you're at a restaurant and you ask for a coke and they say all they have is pepsi, what's the typical response? "Oh that's cool, they're both the same"

Actually 3/4 of the time I'll order something else if it's a Pepsi. 100% of the time I'll order something else if it's a PC
post #63 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following a trio of TV ads that cast Apple's 13-inch MacBook line as impractical purchases for average consumers on a $1000 budget, Microsoft on Thursday took aim at the company's professional line of notebooks in a fourth ad that doubles the spending limit of its role players.

The latest installment of the "You find it, you keep it" campaign features "Sheila," a self-described filmmaker shopping with a $2000 budget for a notebook with a "fast processor, big screen" and the ability to "cut video." She enters Fry's Electronics "open to any brand," but quickly discounts Apple's $1999 2.4GHz MacBook Pro -- the "best Apple" in her price range -- because it only has 2GB of DDR3 memory.

Sheila ultimately settles on a version of HP's 16-inch HP HDX 16t, which includes 4GB of slower DDR2 memory, a 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB of video memory, and a display with a maximum resolution of 1366x768, compared to the MacBook Pro's 1440x900 max resolution.

The commercial, which can be seen below, ends before Sheila can begin her search for a viable video editing application to cut her video.

Both machines suck for the money, though for free you can't beat that!

She SHOULD have bought an ASUS. I am very disappointed that the Fry's staff didn't sell her on an ASUS, which kills HP and Apple in performance and specs. Frys sells an extensive line of ASUS laptops.

Maybe she should have bought this model instead: ASUS G50V-XT

Faster CPU, Much better video card, 15", 7200 RPM hard drive, Expresscard/54 and a non-soldered CPU and battery..... $1299. Destroys the Macbook Pro in specs, except no multitouch touchpad (which trackpads suck anyway), no magsafe power connector and it's not alunimum. It does have a backlit keyboard though and it's $800 cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220483

The Macbook Pro (hardware wised) is overpriced by a significant margin. She can just use Boot 132 and run OSX. There is support built into the OS for the 9800, as machines running EFI-X can run a 9800GT PCI-E video card with no issues.
post #64 of 506
Quote:

That Asus doesn't have a better CPU, it's an older gen. And since this is Asus, it's more than likely a TN display. That doesn't mean that the machine doesn't fit your needs perfectly, but don't say that it's better in way that is clearly isn't. Truly comparable non-Mac PCs with professional or prosumer grade components are comparably priced to MBPs.
post #65 of 506
You know, if Apple wants to respond to these ads in a meaningful way, how about they just stop skimping on features and shut them the hell up? Truth be told, it is ridiculous that their $2,000 "Pro" laptop doesn't come standard with 4GB of memory (piss on these ads however for ignoring the fact that it's only a $60 upgrade). How about Blu-Ray playback in a $1,500 laptop? Everyone else has it.
post #66 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv3rF0x View Post

Man this makes you want to Slap her into next week when that PC dies.

I've never had a PC die. Does that mean I should play the lottery, or your perception of PC lifetime is misconstrued?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

You know, if Apple wants to respond to these ads in a meaningful way, how about they just stop skimping on features and shut them the hell up? Truth be told, it is ridiculous that their $2,000 "Pro" laptop doesn't come standard with 4GB of memory (piss on these ads however for ignoring the fact that it's only a $60 upgrade). How about Blu-Ray playback in a $1,500 laptop? Everyone else has it.

If they responded, they'd be responding to a response. These ads are already a response to the "I'm a PC, and I'm a Mac" commercials. Both ads are just completely dumb, and it's scary that anyone would listen to them rather than do their own research before buying it.

Hell, before I even spend 300 dollars on something I read up on it as much as possible, yet alone 2000 dollars.
post #67 of 506
Quote:

BULLSHIT, everybody uses comoddedy x86 and x64 chips, MS does just as muich tuning on their consumer OS kernal to the INTEL chips as apple does, hell, MS and intel work closly together to make sure that Windows can take advantage of new chip features (like ht back in the day and multithreading across Xeon/Pentium/Core chips starting with Windows XP and expanded with the codebase of Server 2003 whuich was the vista foundation.)

MS has been working with Intel on multithreading and maximising CPU usage since Apple was playing with those dinky G4 peices of shit (I speak as a former G4 owner, they sucked compared to the Intel boxes of the day, which is why Apple switched.)

Its all about the abstraction layers, Apple has Core* and windows has Direct X and Windows Foundation and .net, they tweak their code to work with the HAL, and the GPU drivers for both Mac and Windows are written by the people who designed the chips, at nvidia and AMD, so I would assume that they can tightly integrate the drivers to the hardware, hell they CREATED the hardware.

That, by its very nature is an impossibility. At the very least, it's untenable across the board.

The problem is that MS is trying to compete against a vendor who uses a vertically integrated model rather than a horizontal model which Microsoft and the PC market uses. The result is that you have a poor integrated approach to marketing, hardware and software design where the experience is as much dictated by the hardware vendor as the quality of the operating system - both of which are developed by two separate companies with different goals overall, in regard to their respective strategies.
post #68 of 506
Quote:

Apple does have plenty of advantages over MS because they so much less HW to tune for. One area is power management, where you get more runtime on a Mac running OS X than with Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv3rF0x View Post

They all use PC's and every on of them said Mac. Heck one said a G6.

Of course, old adages are hard to break. It's been years since that were true. Both PC OSes are great for such purposes, this really comes down to an OS preference.
post #69 of 506
Quote:

an elitist, sorta dumb post, imho. are you saying only beautiful people buy macs? (geez: now i have to return my macs, my appleTVs, and my iPhone?! I better leave now, beat the queue)
post #70 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

an elitist, sorta dumb post, imho. are you saying only beautiful people buy macs? (geez: now i have to return mine?!)

I gotta admit, I see better looking girls with macs normally
post #71 of 506
Quote:

an elitist, sorta dumb post, imho. are you saying only beautiful people buy macs? (geez: now i have to return mine?!)

Don't be so obtuse.

Marketing is all about IMAGE.

What image are the MS ads communicating? Would YOU want to be associated with that image?

Yuck.
post #72 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

How about Blu-Ray playback in a $1,500 laptop? Everyone else has it.

How much more would it cost (as an upgrade) to put a Blu-ray drive in a MacBook or MacBook Pro? I'm looking for 9.5mm BRDs but I can't find any.
post #73 of 506
Quote:

are you saying only beautiful people buy macs? (geez: now i have to return mine?!)

No way dude.. the Mac makes you beautiful.

I met my wife twice before we "officially met." We took no notice of each other the first two times and only realized they existed when talking later, well into our relationship. But, after I became a Mac owner we met a third time and the rest is history.

Coincidence!? I think NOT!
post #74 of 506
Quote:

About $300.

No offense, but are you retarded?

Quote:

Given that Winblows Sh1tsta...

Confirmed!

post #75 of 506
As incredulous as these commercials are, you have to admit they are a very good effort.
Apple's commercials base their argument on software, and Microsoft's commercials base their argument on hardware. Which is sort of a unexpected reversal of roles when you think of it,

The dumb thing for Microsoft is their commercials ask a potential shopper to connect too many dots. As opposed to Apple's strategy of "Mac" is all you need to know - hardware, software, entertainment, digital lifestyle, mobile, creative, business, etc. When someone says "I'm a Mac" they're saying a lot more than someone saying "I'm a PC".
post #76 of 506
Quote:

How small must your cock be to be concerned about such image issues?

post #77 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That Asus doesn't have a better CPU, it's an older gen. And since this is Asus, it's more than likely a TN display. That doesn't mean that the machine doesn't fit your needs perfectly, but don't say that it's better in way that is clearly isn't. Truly comparable non-Mac PCs with professional or prosumer grade components are comparably priced to MBPs.

Both the asus and the MBP use the Intel T9550, 2.66 core 2 duo CPU. The Apple is capped at 4GB Ram according to Apple, the Asus can use up to 8 gigs. The Graphics card in the MacBook Pro is NOT a pro card, it is a gaming chip, the 130 is the next gen 9600GT. A REAL PROFESSIONAL laptop would have a Quadra FX Mobile chipset. as to the display issues, I have used asus laptops before and they are a lot easier to read and work with than the super glossy glass on th new apple notebooks.

It does weigh 1LB more, but if ONE FRICKING POUND is a deal breaker, lift some weights...
post #78 of 506
She says, "Oh look. Is this graphics card going to be powerful?"

The highly skilled, trained "PC Genius" replies, "mm hmm". LOL!

Apple should create a counter ad by "revisiting" these people after 100 days and, like some of those that voted for Obama, some of these PC laptop hunters, I bet will say, "it's not what I thought I were getting!"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #79 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How much more would it cost (as an upgrade) to put a Blu-ray drive in a MacBook or MacBook Pro? I'm looking for 9.5mm BRDs but I can't find any.

$299 is the retail price for a 12.7mm model.
post #80 of 506
Am i missing something or has MS in their ads now told me that i can buy a $700 17" laptop and it has everything i need then why do i need to buy a $1500 17" laptop that has everything i need and why do i need to buy a $2000 16" laptop that has everything need?

These ads are just stupid.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft ups cash limit, takes aim at MacBook Pros in new ad