or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I did with Huey Pro and and it sucked more.

Then it wasn't done right. All monitors can be calibrated.
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Bullshit patrol alert!!!

Apple still has, by far, the best QC in terms of customer opinions, support request and return rates. To judge them based on anecdotal evidence and opinions posted in support forums is nonsense.

Besides, my 24" iMac has a flawless LCD with no issues whatsoever...people should stop presuming that their problems are everyone else's problems...issues will ALWAYS happen even if you buy the most expensive article from the most renowned maker. This does NOT necessarily mean they are any worse than before, unless you REALLY show objective statistics to back that up.

Tell that to my three broken MacBook Pros. All three of them Apple admitted to causing the problems. All three being QC issues. True, they didn't replace the last one because it was out of warranty. (I guess I should have spent the extra 300 I didn't have on the Apple Care to have gotten a 4th MBP.) Also, the last MBP that I got had a defective battery. Apple did replace that too. iPod Nano, defective gloss coat (though I solved it myself with packing tape over the screen). I don't treat my Apple's poorly, they treat me badly instead!

Yet, my G4 mac mini runs great, 24/7! My Quadra 810av still runs perfectly well too for a 12 year old machine! I also would point you to this website: http://appledefects.com/ And I do realize that it hasn't been updated it two years. But still...

When we pay so much for the machines, they should work properly. I had three that all failed, and I see a huge line of laptops coming back to my local Apple Store for serious issues (I ask people what's wrong with their machines).

Please people, don't discount that there are people who have had serious issues with their devices. People do, and they have a right to say something about it!

(Admittedly, I have to say that for the most part, the Apple people in the store are friendly and helpful. They do seem to care about your plight. Thank goodness for that... I just wish they weren't overworked with defective products!)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Tell that to my three broken MacBook Pros. All three of them Apple admitted to causing the problems. All three being QC issues. True, they didn't replace the last one because it was out of warranty. (I guess I should have spent the extra 300 I didn't have on the Apple Care to have gotten a 4th MBP.) Also, the last MBP that I got had a defective battery. Apple did replace that too. iPod Nano, defective gloss coat (though I solved it myself with packing tape over the screen). I don't treat my Apple's poorly, they treat me badly instead!

Yet, my G4 mac mini runs great, 24/7! My Quadra 810av still runs perfectly well too for a 12 year old machine! I also would point you to this website: http://appledefects.com/ And I do realize that it hasn't been updated it two years. But still...

When we pay so much for the machines, they should work properly. I had three that all failed, and I see a huge line of laptops coming back to my local Apple Store for serious issues (I ask people what's wrong with their machines).

Please people, don't discount that there are people who have had serious issues with their devices. People do, and they have a right to say something about it!

(Admittedly, I have to say that for the most part, the Apple people in the store are friendly and helpful. They do seem to care about your plight. Thank goodness for that... I just wish they weren't overworked with defective products!)

I think you are reading too much into brlawyer's post but then concluding the same thing. He didn't say that Apple is flawless, just that they have the best QC, which for the big vendors seems to be true. But they are far from being without issues, no CE product is. Your issues of having multiple issues is anecdotal just as someone who states that they have been using Macs for years and have never had a problem. The fact is the there will be people with no issues and some with multiple, with most people falling somewhere in the middle with an occasional issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 81
This assumes that just because you didn't have problems that no one had problems with their G4 Mac mini or Quadra 810av. At the same token most MacBook Pro owners are having no serious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Yet, my G4 mac mini runs great, 24/7! My Quadra 810av still runs perfectly well too for a 12 year old machine!
post #45 of 81
Anecdotal evidence:

1 . . . is a valid cause to complain about your Mac's defects.

2 . . . is not sufficient nor even necessary for assuming that a significant proportion of people who have your model Mac has the same problems as you.

3 . . . usually makes for interesting reading in message posts.

4 . . . but provides near zero information on what problems you are likely to encounter if you purchase a Mac.

5 And certainly 10 iMacs of different production dates is in no way, not even when flying monkeys come out Dick Cheney's arse, a statistically meaningful sample size.
post #46 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Anecdotal evidence:

1 . . . is a valid cause to complain about your Mac's defects.

2 . . . is not sufficient nor even necessary for assuming that a significant proportion of people who have your model Mac has the same problems as you.

3 . . . usually makes for interesting reading in message posts.

4 . . . but provides near zero information on what problems you are likely to encounter if you purchase a Mac.

5 And certainly 10 iMacs of different production dates is in no way, not even when flying monkeys come out Dick Cheney's arse, a statistically meaningful sample size.

u sound like a machead... everything Apple is perfect... Hate to break the news to you.... It's not!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

u sound like a machead... everything Apple is perfect... Hate to break the news to you.... It's not!

You sound like a Microsoft employee (or a 3rd grader, either one)... everything Apple is junk... Hate to break the news to you.... It's not!
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

And this is the main reason I won't spend the money on Apple's "premium" (I meant designer though) computers anymore. When we pay as much as we do, we expect it to work decently well.

They used to have good QC, what happened? I've noticed a big change when we went to intel, but I don't know how much of that is really it.

The big change occurred once the iPhone got all the R&D etc. Macs got thrown under the bus.
Apple Computer Inc., specializing in Macs, became an electronics company specializing in phones, crap apps and "hobby" AppleTV's- Apple Inc.
post #49 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

You sound like a Microsoft employee (or a 3rd grader, either one)... everything Apple is junk... Hate to break the news to you.... It's not!

I don't work for Microsoft.

I own tons of Apple products.

I complain when I see fit. I see fit with some of the products they make.


Thanks
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The big change occurred once the iPhone got all the R&D etc. Macs got thrown under the bus.
Apple Computer Inc., specializing in Macs, became an electronics company specializing in phones, crap apps and "hobby" AppleTV's- Apple Inc.

Apple is just like any company now... they are no longer considered a premium product like BOSE.

They need to adjust their prices to reflect the new Apple!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple is just like any company now... they are no longer considered a premium product like BOSE.

They need to adjust their prices to reflect the new Apple!

Bose? That was a joke, right? Bose is real junk.
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I don't work for Microsoft.

I own tons of Apple products.

I complain when I see fit. I see fit with some of the products they make.


Thanks

I am right there with you. I don't work for Microsoft (and I really don't like their products either!) I have some Apple products, and used to support them in the past.

My biggest problem are the people who are putting us down for complaining, when we do have every right to do so. I've complained to Apple themselves and do know of my issues. All I got was a "It will cost 400 dollars to replace the logic board on your laptop." even after they claimed fault. And I've known quite a few other people with issues too. I also have known people with no issues, and to them, I hope things stay that way!

I guess AppleInsider forums really aren't the place to say this kind of thing. Very unwelcoming crowd at times.

So I continue to complain, because I feel that I was wronged. I lost very hard earned money on that machine (starving artist comes to mind). And this is just me warning others that things are not as perfect as it may appear.

Back to the topic actually: I really do hope they fixed the ATI freezing issue for those iMac owners... Apple does owe them that much! But that should have been caught before the iMac left the prototype arena.

As for Bose? They too are just a label, or at least that's how I am reading that post.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I am right there with you. I don't work for Microsoft (and I really don't like their products either!) I have some Apple products, and used to support them in the past.

My biggest problem are the people who are putting us down for complaining, when we do have every right to do so. I've complained to Apple themselves and do know of my issues. All I got was a "It will cost 400 dollars to replace the logic board on your laptop." even after they claimed fault. And I've known quite a few other people with issues too. I also have known people with no issues, and to them, I hope things stay that way!

I guess AppleInsider forums really aren't the place to say this kind of thing. Very unwelcoming crowd at times.

So I continue to complain, because I feel that I was wronged. I lost very hard earned money on that machine (starving artist comes to mind). And this is just me warning others that things are not as perfect as it may appear.

Back to the topic actually: I really do hope they fixed the ATI freezing issue for those iMac owners... Apple does owe them that much! But that should have been caught before the iMac left the prototype arena.

As for Bose? They too are just a label, or at least that's how I am reading that post.

I do not put anybody down for complaining for a justified reason, but what you guys do is make it seem like Apple is the one and only company out there with issues. Try talking to Dell or the HP customer care people in India about any of these similar issues that their machines have much more frequently, and let me know how they treat you.

I am not getting on you for having problems and voicing your issues, only that you hold Apple to standards no company can achieve. Should Apple be held to higher standards? Absolutely. Should they be expected to be perfect? That is unreasonable, and it seems like that is what you are demanding of them, when these are still products designed and produced by human beings. So by their very nature, they will have flaws from time to time.

The true test is how well they deal with these problems, and while Apple is in no way perfect, they are in another world compared to their competitors.
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Bose? That was a joke, right? Bose is real junk.

I will certainly agree with that. Bose is middle of the road when it comes to audio. If you're looking for the Apple of the audio world, look to MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, or REL. They will all give you much better sounding equipment (at premium prices).
post #55 of 81
I've had a lot of Apple's products over the years, and have had a few problems, one serious, but these guys seem to have far more problems than anyone I've ever heard of.

Upon a rare occasion, someone like that pops up. I don't know what to make of it.
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I will certainly agree with that. Bose is middle of the road when it comes to audio. If you're looking for the Apple of the audio world, look to MartinLogan, Vienna Acoustics, or REL. They will all give you much better sounding equipment (at premium prices).

Audio has been one of my major interests over the decades. I built a Harman Kardon Citation I and II when I was a kid in the early '60's.

I was a partner in an audio manufacturing company from 1974 to 1982, when we sold it to JBL.

Ah, those were the days.

I remember the first Bose 901's from when I was in my audio dealer in the early '70's. It was Audio Exchange. My salesman turned something on, and asked me if I could tell where the music was coming from. I turned around, but had a problem locating it. He pointed to the 901's hanging from the ceiling. I didn't like them from that moment on.
post #57 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Audio has been one of my major interests over the decades. I built a Harman Kardon Citation I and II when I was a kid in the early '60's.

I was a partner in an audio manufacturing company from 1974 to 1982, when we sold it to JBL.

Ah, those were the days.

I remember the first Bose 901's from when I was in my audio dealer in the early '70's. It was Audio Exchange. My salesman turned something on, and asked me if I could tell where the music was coming from. I turned around, but had a problem locating it. He pointed to the 901's hanging from the ceiling. I didn't like them from that moment on.

Yeah, as much as Bose tries to say differently, they just aren't good sounding speakers. From their insistence to produce faux surround sound with just two speakers to their borderline ridiculous use of automatic equalizers, I can't stand them myself. Although I do have to applaud their marketing team for making America believe they are the best of the best, although it never has been hard to compete with the JVC and Samsung systems sitting next to them in Best Buy.
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Yeah, as much as Bose tries to say differently, they just aren't good sounding speakers. From their insistence to produce faux surround sound with just two speakers to their borderline ridiculous use of automatic equalizers, I can't stand them myself. Although I do have to applaud their marketing team for making America believe they are the best of the best, although it never has been hard to compete with the JVC and Samsung systems sitting next to them in Best Buy.

I have to admit though, Amar Bose is brilliant. We may not like his stuff, but when his company was foundering early on, because the audio community was rejecting his stuff, he made a right turn, and the rest is legend.
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I do not put anybody down for complaining for a justified reason, but what you guys do is make it seem like Apple is the one and only company out there with issues. Try talking to Dell or the HP customer care people in India about any of these similar issues that their machines have much more frequently, and let me know how they treat you.

I am not getting on you for having problems and voicing your issues, only that you hold Apple to standards no company can achieve. Should Apple be held to higher standards? Absolutely. Should they be expected to be perfect? That is unreasonable, and it seems like that is what you are demanding of them, when these are still products designed and produced by human beings. So by their very nature, they will have flaws from time to time.

The true test is how well they deal with these problems, and while Apple is in no way perfect, they are in another world compared to their competitors.

Ah, thank you! A nice civil post makes me happy

I have had a Dell that did have issues. A laptop with a Celeron chip. Within three days I found three dead pixels on the screen. Called Tech Support, talked to "Mike". They told me that it was "within tolerance". I don't believe that for a brand new laptop for a second! Tried taking it in to a store, they said "Nope! Its fine"... BS! Apple DID take back my MBPs (2x). Dell did not. Mind you that was the only issue minus the pathetic speed of the Celeron.

But my big difference is that I paid 400 dollars for the Dell laptop. I expected it to have issues, and was complacent with the dead pixels (after a while). I currently have an Acer Netbook. I love the thing. I paid 300 dollars for it. I do not expect it to last long, though it is so far out lasting my MacBook Pros. If it has an issue, then I'll be more complacent because "You get what you pay for."

As for the Apples, I paid $2000 for a laptop. It was supposed to be premium, and it did not last. Three did not last. That's where my issue is. I am fine with the issues I've had with the lower priced computers because "You get what you paid for" (though I'll still complain to the companies if they have immediate issues!) but same should hold true with an Apple. I should "Get what I paid for" with an Apple and I did not.

That's my two cents on the matter. I'm sure you wouldn't disagree with me on that particular matter. Apple does treat its customers much better than Dell and HP and the like. But that's part of the price. For someone like me, I can usually fix my own problems (I replaced the screen on the Dell on my own) and so tech support isn't usually needed unless its a severe harsh hardware problem.

Anyhow, I think we've talked about this long enough today! Thank you though for a civil response, I do enjoy that immensely!
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #60 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've seen this here before, and it's just as much nonsense now as it was then.

Apple, as most all other computer manufacturers, has had their computers made in china for a decade or so. That has nothing to do with anything other than having them cost less than they would have.
Dell, until recently, has made its own computers here, and in Europe. Their quality has never been anything to brag about.

And Dell's always been crap. Apple, however used to be rock solid.

Quote:
Apple is having no more problems now that in years past. Every time they have some problem I read this about them having more problems than before. And that's going back to the time when their computers were made here.

Maybe because there are more problems? It seems with every model there is some kind of manufacturing defect or a major hardware bug. Leopard shipped with more problems with any OS since 10.0 (which was beta 2.0 basically). They're slipping on focus.
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I did with Huey Pro and and it sucked more.

Most likely user error.
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I am right there with you. I don't work for Microsoft (and I really don't like their products either!) I have some Apple products, and used to support them in the past.

My biggest problem are the people who are putting us down for complaining, when we do have every right to do so. I've complained to Apple themselves and do know of my issues. All I got was a "It will cost 400 dollars to replace the logic board on your laptop." even after they claimed fault. And I've known quite a few other people with issues too. I also have known people with no issues, and to them, I hope things stay that way!

I guess AppleInsider forums really aren't the place to say this kind of thing. Very unwelcoming crowd at times.

So I continue to complain, because I feel that I was wronged. I lost very hard earned money on that machine (starving artist comes to mind). And this is just me warning others that things are not as perfect as it may appear.

Back to the topic actually: I really do hope they fixed the ATI freezing issue for those iMac owners... Apple does owe them that much! But that should have been caught before the iMac left the prototype arena.

As for Bose? They too are just a label, or at least that's how I am reading that post.

I agree with you... if you voice your opinion here, the Macheads will eat you up and troll you out lol... I don't care. I say it as I see it.

The iMac is an amazing design until something inside breaks down and then you got to repair it. All the internals are under the glass and under the LCD! Why would Apple design such a product as such and make it difficult to fix? I had my 2008 iMac fixed and it was returned by Apple with tons of dust/lint under the glass and nicks on the side of the machine. I complained and got my money back. They said the design is such that it is very hard to not nick or for dust to enter in! What a great design.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And Dell's always been crap. Apple, however used to be rock solid.



Maybe because there are more problems? It seems with every model there is some kind of manufacturing defect or a major hardware bug. Leopard shipped with more problems with any OS since 10.0 (which was beta 2.0 basically). They're slipping on focus.

I agree with you!

They need to refocus.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #64 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I have to admit though, Amar Bose is brilliant. We may not like his stuff, but when his company was foundering early on, because the audio community was rejecting his stuff, he made a right turn, and the rest is legend.

I compare Apple to Bose a lot.

Great designs. Great products.

Although Apple is losing it in terms of quality control, whereas BOSE isn't.

The BOSE are built perfect. Flawless. I have the Companion 5 and love them.

I love the iMac, but I have seen the quality control at Apple go downhill from a year ago.

Take the iPhone 3G for example... Twice as Fast, Half the price = more problems.

The iPhone 2G was a solid build phone.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #65 of 81
Now that Apple released Firmware 1.4 for the iMac, when does one think a new Safari 4 will come out? Mine crashes too many times, I had to uninstall it.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Let me ask you a question.

Why do you bother to even use a Mac and admit to owning them?

Just use an affordable Windows-based PC and problem solved. Just switch.

All you do is troll and complain about Macs.

Yet, this is in your sig:

iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G


If you CLEARLY dislike Apple and Macs so much, then . . . WHY DO YOU EVEN OWN THESE PRODUCTS? Just sell them. No more worries, no more stress.

It seems pretty stupid of you to have them in your possession and constantly troll about them. Does it make sense to hang on to, and discuss something you dislike that much? There is an ocean of PCs out there for you to pick and choose from, and they have nothing to do with Macs, and they run Windows.

The result:

No need for you to come in here and complain, which means no more headaches on your part. You'll be a satisfied user, which you cearly are not. The only kind of person who keeps using something they dislike and who then takes the time and trouble to complain about it is someone who is mentally ill.

Fair?

i have been a mac owner for eons since '87 til now -- yea i went threw that "performa' crap when they started to make macs to sell at the "Wiz" remember them?? and nothings perfect in a no so perfect world.. i have an iPhone 3g (g= gripes) i never can get that thing to work in 3g mode and have had to have apple replace the headset (4) times already and its not even 1 full year yet and the iphone is a GREAT Product don't get me wrong but no one can tolerate when i talk to them with the headset on, its picks up all the surrounding noise and the sound quality is horrible ... so i guess i should be blaming AT&T NOT APPLE.. my macbook pro 2008 version had to have the screen replaced 2x thank god i got the extra 3yr applecare otherwise i 'd be screwed.. and the battery won't hold a charge anymore... apple suggest i buy a new battery and the said i could get 4 plus hrs when i first got it ... well i never got anything more than 2.5 hrs barely 3 hrs of use on the battery since i got that thing... and lets face it "Made in Cupertino" = made in Taiwan or somewhere in Asia where there is no real QC unless SJ is standing there lQQKing over the shoulders of the workers making these new products... so let the guy vent .... i still love apple products but they need to do a better job of QC in my opinion.... and don't tell me to go and buy a PC windoze crap either... APPLE is well aware of this issue and figures recalling these iMacs would be costly and prob be a bad PR move so they are 'cheating' and gonna fix it through a software update instead of a hardware fix... this is how things are done in this fast moving pc world - bad, bad, bad Apple ... they should have checked these things before they accepted delivery on these ATI cards ... disabled american here ... no need to call names... that should be saved for myspace or facebook...
post #67 of 81
btw.. you folks sound like ninnies.

Back on TOPIC. I applied the update and over 20 hours later... no freezes.

Thank GOD. I didn't want to have to return this beautiful computer.

-NUM
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
Reply
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

btw.. you folks sound like ninnies.

Back on TOPIC. I applied the update and over 20 hours later... no freezes.

Thank GOD. I didn't want to have to return this beautiful computer.

-NUM

and then some. I am not going to name names, but I am only going to state the following one more time. If I had as many problems with a company's products (like a computer, Ipod, Iphone, or Safari 4 Beta) as some people state, I would file my complaints, sell it all and make the switch to something else. I am a Apple user, but I am not so blind to think that if I continue to have so many problems (like some people again), that I will continue to use it. I will make my complaints with the company and move on. This constant badgering on these message boards really accomplish nothing and usually sidetrack from the topic at hand. In short, when you follow those steps I stated, that is the BEST way to get your point across to a company, especially when the $$$ stops coming in. Remember, 1-file complaint with company. 2-if problems persist, sell it to someone who wants to "roll the dice" on your problem child. 3-Post, ONE TIME, your issue with "said" company on their website. 4-Move on with your life.

Have a nice day!!
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

And Dell's always been crap. Apple, however used to be rock solid.

Apple always had a problem here and there, just like now. I don't see any difference.

It's just that Apple makes, and sells, more products than before, so it seems as thought they have more problems.

Quote:
Maybe because there are more problems? It seems with every model there is some kind of manufacturing defect or a major hardware bug. Leopard shipped with more problems with any OS since 10.0 (which was beta 2.0 basically). They're slipping on focus.

No. I don't ever remember, going back to 6.0.8, where Apple didn't have bugs, some severe, with every OS release.

I also don't ever remember a time when they didn't have hardware problems, poor designs, etc.

During most of that time, there wasn't an internet, so these problems didn't get spread around the web like they do today. It wasn't until 2002, or so, that the web had enough sites like this for people to go to to talk about what was going on, and it's really only been in the last five years or so where the memberships of these sites became large enough for it to matter.

Also, people put Apple under a magnifying glass, where they don't do that to other vendors. We Apple customers also tend to be pickier than customers from the PC world. I see people here complaining about "problems" that are common everywhere else, but not mentioned.

So when Apple has scratches on the screens of some iPods, a major fuss resulted. The fact that every other manufacturer had about the same amount of scratching was ignored.

But it was Apple that spent the R&D dollars to come up with a much better way of eliminating them. MS copied that too, a year later.
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I agree with you... if you voice your opinion here, the Macheads will eat you up and troll you out lol... I don't care. I say it as I see it.

The iMac is an amazing design until something inside breaks down and then you got to repair it. All the internals are under the glass and under the LCD! Why would Apple design such a product as such and make it difficult to fix? I had my 2008 iMac fixed and it was returned by Apple with tons of dust/lint under the glass and nicks on the side of the machine. I complained and got my money back. They said the design is such that it is very hard to not nick or for dust to enter in! What a great design.

No one here is saying that Apple products don't have problems. But there are over 50,000 members on this site, and the vast majority, from having read many posts over the years, have not had the amount of problems you guys seem to have had.

That's about it.

But people get upset when you come here and practically scream that Apple is crap, and then keep to a one sided argument, comforting each other by talking everyone else down, as though they are saying something they aren't.

Do you really think that AIO's made by the various PC manufacturers are any easier to service than Apple's? In general, they are not.
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I compare Apple to Bose a lot.

Great designs. Great products.

Although Apple is losing it in terms of quality control, whereas BOSE isn't.

The BOSE are built perfect. Flawless. I have the Companion 5 and love them.

I love the iMac, but I have seen the quality control at Apple go downhill from a year ago.

Take the iPhone 3G for example... Twice as Fast, Half the price = more problems.

The iPhone 2G was a solid build phone.

Bose make mediocre products. They have always made mediocre products. They also make professional products which are high quality.

But performance is not something you talk about when mentioning Bose. Not, that is, if you know anything about audio quality.

Exactly what problems have you had with your iPhone? I assume you have one, so that you know of what you speak from a personal perspective.

My family has three 3G's. We haven't had a single problem that can properly be ascribed to Apple, other than, early on, a couple of problems with a small number of third party programs, which has since been taken care of. The phones themselves have been flawless.

some network problems which are the result of AT&T having to expand service rapidly, though much of that has improved markedly as well.

My wife and daughter's 24" 2008 iMac models have also worked flawlessly.

I just don't understand how you seem to have so many problems.

The biggest problem I ever had was with the first Apple machine I ever bought for myself. That was my Quadra 950, bought somewhere around 1992. One memory slot was bad, and they had to replace the mobo.

Other than that, I've never had a major problem, though my 9500 was a terrible design, requiring almost an entire computer take apart to get memory into the machine, and having those horrible plastic latches for the PCI card restrainers. If you weren't careful, they would break.
post #72 of 81
That and the 25-30 security fixes every month, it won't be long until those Mac's will be as productive as a standard Windows PC. Oh, except for not being able to run 97% of the the worlds software. Oh, unless you load the O/S that your product is marketed against. Maybe Windows should be able to bring up a Mac window.

They only support a couple graphics cards, you would think they could test it. Windows has to work with hundreds.
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

That and the 25-30 security fixes every month, it won't be long until those Mac's will be as productive as a standard Windows PC. Oh, except for not being able to run 97% of the the worlds software. Oh, unless you load the O/S that your product is marketed against. Maybe Windows should be able to bring up a Mac window.

They only support a couple graphics cards, you would think they could test it. Windows has to work with hundreds.

25-30 a month??!! Wow!! It must really suck on your planet!
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

That and the 25-30 security fixes every month

Try 1-3.

As for the iMacs, I have yet to se more than a couple units with screen issues that couldn't be resolved through calibration. And for reference, I see at least a dozen or two every week at the shop.

Frankly, there's only two quality control issues that I've come to expect when talking to customers in the support department. One being the iMac G5's power supply issues, which are long out of REP range anyway, and the other being the white/black MacBook and it's tendency to crack along the forward edge of the top case. Oddly, the nVidia issues on the Geforce 8600-based MacBook Pro seem to be declining. It's likely that most affected models have been dealt with.
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
Apple Product Professional
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
Reply
post #75 of 81
Exactly what quantifiably in Apple's quality control is worse this year from last?

I've had both the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G from the first day they were sold. I gave the original to a friend. Both have been rock solid from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I love the iMac, but I have seen the quality control at Apple go downhill from a year ago.

Take the iPhone 3G for example... Twice as Fast, Half the price = more problems.

The iPhone 2G was a solid build phone.
post #76 of 81
I've had Safari 4 installed from its first day of release, I cannot recall any crashes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Now that Apple released Firmware 1.4 for the iMac, when does one think a new Safari 4 will come out? Mine crashes too many times, I had to uninstall it.
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I've had Safari 4 installed from its first day of release, I cannot recall any crashes.

Only from Flash.
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple always had a problem here and there, just like now. I don't see any difference.

Absolutely. But there was even worse sometimes. What comes quickly to mind is the Powerbook 5300. I think it had more issues than any of the more recent Apple products.
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Absolutely. But there was even worse sometimes. What comes quickly to mind is the Powerbook 5300. I think it had more issues than any of the more recent Apple products.

It flows and ebbs, you know?

Right now, they've had problems with suppliers. The same suppliers other companies have been having problems with.
post #80 of 81
I've owned Macs since May 1992. I've had exactly two hardware failures: a logic board failure in a white iBook G3/500 that was not covered by the repair extension and the hard drive from my G4/450DP long after it had been relegated to backup duties. I've even had great success with "Frankenstein" machines like the Power Computing PowerCenter I built using a variety of parts bought on ebay.

Even after all that my anecdotal evidence is no stronger or weaker than anyone else's.

Just for fun I'm going to point out to camroidv27 that there's no such thing as a Quadra 810av and remind MelGross that his Quadra 950 had NuBus slots, not PCI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple offers fix for iMac's Radeon HD 4850 freezing issues