or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBooks sweep latest Consumer Reports scores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MacBooks sweep latest Consumer Reports scores

post #1 of 105
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 105
Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!
post #3 of 105
Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...

Quote:
The 15-inch MacBook Pro was rated overall with a score of 75 out of 100, ahead of a 64-rated Toshiba Satellite (the Pro costs $2,000, the Toshiba $700).

The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #4 of 105
Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.
post #5 of 105
post #6 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

while the 20-inch iMac's 70 was enough to earn a runner-up position behind the Dell XPS One 24.

Can I assume this is a typo?
post #7 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

That is just too funny!! Wow, can't do anything but surf and email photos??!! That is SO original!! Can't do anything complex with UNIX??!! That's even funnier! I am sure some UNIX programmers may want to chime in with their two cents worth on that subject. Good luck living in the land of the blind.
post #8 of 105
Apple's iMac line will continue to get bested by Dell's XPS One as long as Apple continues to use mobile processors. I assume that the next models will get the desktop-greade LV C2Q that Intel made for AIOs. They are still more expensive than the processor Dell uses but it does offer more performance than the notebook-grade CPUs Apple currently uses while being significantly cheaper.

Dell XPS One 24" - Q8200 (4M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.33 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 45nm) - $163

Apple iMac 24" - P9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.66 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) - $348
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 105
congrats apple
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #10 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

if they are technically savvy, they can figure that out.
post #11 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...

The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.

They usually pick an item from each category that takes into account the price. This usually isn't at the top of the ratings.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

Cause all those Hollywood films mean nothing. You should also do some research on all the universities using Apple servers (hint: There's a lot of them).
post #13 of 105
20" iMac though got a recommended checkmark. (close to highest score and $400 less than the top-rated Dell.) STrange how they didn't review the 24" iMac and strange how they gave the 20" iMac an excellent rating for the display. Although I think the 20" display is quite nice, CR might need to make a new top mark for the 24" iMac display.

One thing that distinguishes a Mac from Windows is OS/X, but Consumer Reports doesn't seem to take this into account much when comparing machines.
post #14 of 105
Also note that Consumer Reports says the Macbook Air display has an anti-glare coating. They list it as one of the highlights.
post #15 of 105
Also note that the 13inch is considered near ultra-portable! As if?
That's almost as bad as Steve Jobs calling iTunes movies near DVD quality!
post #16 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

To the majority, cost is a major factor.

Sure. That's why Microsoft-based PCs have such a large market share. And that's just fine with many of us who think that Apple's high-margin, low-volume, high-quality, high-service, low-maintenance strategy is the way to go.

Different strokes for different folks.

And, as a shareholder, I'd rather own AAPL than Dell, Sony, and all those commodity computer stocks.
post #17 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.


dude are you high? PC is garbage, i have used PC's for as long as i can remember, i finally got sick of rebooting every few months because of system crashing. i invested in high end PC's including Alienware and Dell XPS systems. i bought a macbook and a macbook air and they are far superior. i can do so much more with them without so much as a worry about if my system with crash. and mac's aren't for technically savvy people? if microsofts version of a technically savvy person is that douche bag giampolo actor than they can keep the technically savvy people! and what is your version of complex? how do you think major motion pictures are edited? sure as hell isn't with a PC. if your version of complex means playing WOW then dude you got problems.
post #18 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, as a shareholder, I'd rather own AAPL than Dell, Sony, and all those commodity computer stocks.

AS an Apple shareholder why the hell would you ever admit wanting any of those other stocks?
post #19 of 105
Regardless of criteria, the CR ratings will help sales quite a bit...
I personally don't care much for CR, but I know there are quite a few people that follow them.

Besides the hard drive in the unibodies (engineered to fail and somehow still have MTBF numbers...bad personal experiences with HDD technology the last decade...), I hope everything is spec'd for durability...in this age of disposable products, the unibody macs (and iMacs) may be the most durable cases we'll see for notebook computers ever, and hopefully as computers too. With a decent quality screen, and reasonable graphics, I see Macbooks as a good longer term investment. I'm hoping my next MacBook purchase will age well.

Even if the most that this CR rating does is get people to look at Apple products in person, I'm sure that many will also see the industrial design as just amazing.

ok...hyperfanboy mode disengage...
post #20 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Also note that the 13inch is considered near ultra-portable! As if?
That's almost as bad as Steve Jobs calling iTunes movies near DVD quality!

I'd certainly consider the MacBook Air near ultraportable.
The other point is, below 13 inches is ultraportable, isn't it, so the next category? near?

I realize 480i upscaled to 720p or 1080i/p can look pretty good, but iTunes movies' quality is closer to DVD than standard def. I choose to save a buck to watch their near DVD, and save download time.
post #21 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AS an Apple shareholder why the hell would you ever admit wanting any of those other stocks?

hahah!
2nd.
Techstud, did this CR news come out before the stock market closed today? (I realize this hit AI after hours)
post #22 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!

rarely do I see any trolls making excuses for ATT, but they will point out when someone is dumping on Apple for a carrier issue. like for example, when testing shows that there is nothing amiss with the 3g hardware in the iphone and maybe the issue behind why you can't get coverage is cause ATT has like 1 3g tower anywhere remotely close to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Did they include a variable for cost?

yes. it is a major variable. but Consumer Reports doesn't look at cost as a simple issue. something isn't a better buy because it costs less. they look at the value behind the cost. so they will take items within a similar range and look at the hardware, the included software, the intangibles like tech support and so on.

some folks jab at Apple for the so called Apple Tax while others believe that that extra cost is worth having salespeople that know the computers and the software, that are not pressured to grab your stuff, ring you up and get rid of you so they can ring up 20 more folks in that hour, having company trained teachers and tech support, not getting screwed by things suddenly being out of stock after you said you don't want that extended service plan and so on.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #23 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...



The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.

But not all those laptops on the list cost 700, what about those that cost more than Toshiba but ranked lower?
post #24 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's iMac line will continue to get bested by Dell's XPS One as long as Apple continues to use mobile processors. I assume that the next models will get the desktop-greade LV C2Q that Intel made for AIOs. They are still more expensive than the processor Dell uses but it does offer more performance than the notebook-grade CPUs Apple currently uses while being significantly cheaper.

Dell XPS One 24" - Q8200 (4M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 4 Threads, 2.33 GHz 1333 MHz FSB 45nm) - $163

Apple iMac 24" - P9600 (6M L2 cache, 2 Cores, 2 Threads, 2.66 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 45nm) - $348

Doesn't Apple's choice stem in part from pricing breaks from upping the purchase numbers of cores from Intel? And also for selecting lower power units (green friendlier? don't know the thermal design for sure), and simplified design...slower FSB, and less complexity dealing with graphics?
post #25 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!

Sounds like you're not happy with your AT&T coverage, and/or customer service. Sorry.
Having just moved over from T-Mobile (I miss their customer service, honestly), I can say that my coverage also being GSM over there, has been about the same? At least in FL and MI.

I have the feeling that coverage has more to do with the spec of GSM and tower saturation, which includes frequency. When I say spec, I also mean voice quality too, as my Sprint service back like, 4 years ago, was noticeably better. Miss that CDMA sound, but no turning back.
post #26 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post


Is he drooling?

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply
post #27 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

This settles it. I'm passing on my iBook G3 I use for business to my nine yr. old and upgrading!

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

Reply
post #28 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

That is just too funny!! Wow, can't do anything but surf and email photos??!! That is SO original!! Can't do anything complex with UNIX??!! That's even funnier! I am sure some UNIX programmers may want to chime in with their two cents worth on that subject. Good luck living in the land of the blind.

I believe he was being sarcastically funny.. tongue in cheek, you know.
post #29 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

dude are you high? PC is garbage, i have used PC's for as long as i can remember, i finally got sick of rebooting every few months because of system crashing. i invested in high end PC's including Alienware and Dell XPS systems. i bought a macbook and a macbook air and they are far superior. i can do so much more with them without so much as a worry about if my system with crash. and mac's aren't for technically savvy people? if microsofts version of a technically savvy person is that douche bag giampolo actor than they can keep the technically savvy people! and what is your version of complex? how do you think major motion pictures are edited? sure as hell isn't with a PC. if your version of complex means playing WOW then dude you got problems.

Amazing how many people spectacularly missed the sarcasm in that post.
post #30 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by P L View Post

Is he drooling?

That's NOT drool.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #31 of 105
Is this news?

Sure. But most of us already knew this. Even poor, long-suffering WinPC users.

Still, nice to see all the same.
post #32 of 105
If I remember correctly AT&T did not get the bottom mark by Consumer Reports. I was really unhappy with AT&T when the iPhone 3G first came out but they have improved pretty dramatically here in Phoenix and everywhere I travel to.

To the guy who said the Unibodies have hard drive issues I don't know where you came up with that idea. Not true at all.

I don't know how or why CR gave Dell's all in one a superior rating over the iMac but the use of "notebook" processors is not relevant. Check any of a host of performance tests. Start with Bare Feats. Also you quoted retail prices which are meaningless in this case.

I've seen that Toshiba. I think they make fairly decent cheap PC laptops if thats what you want but the trackpad and buttons really suck. They are perched right on the edge of the case for some reason.

The Dell Studio XPS 13 has been panned by many for very high heat and poor quality fit and finish. Guess CR didn't notice those issues.

How on earth could Dell anything be anywhere near the top given their abysmally poor customer service?

Glad to see the 17 do so well. It really is the top of it's class and well as the 15 inch Unibody which I own. But the Dell Studio 17 and Studio 15 did well and they have had very high quality and support issues.
post #33 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

yes. it is a major variable. but Consumer Reports doesn't look at cost as a simple issue. something isn't a better buy because it costs less. they look at the value behind the cost. so they will take items within a similar range and look at the hardware, the included software, the intangibles like tech support and so on.

So 700 is a simlar price range to 2000? That just seems an utterly bizzare comparison.


Quote:
some folks jab at Apple for the so called Apple Tax while others believe that that extra cost is worth having salespeople that know the computers and the software, that are not pressured to grab your stuff, ring you up and get rid of you so they can ring up 20 more folks in that hour, having company trained teachers and tech support, not getting screwed by things suddenly being out of stock after you said you don't want that extended service plan and so on.

Well, it can still be construed as an Apple tax, its just a tax they put to use...

(besides improving their shareholders, and their own bankbalance)


did they use OS in their evaluations?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #34 of 105
Even though I don't like Apple's computer products, I'll say this.

Congrats! Consumer Reports is a group that I will listen to and that I respect. Although I will still stay away from Apple hardware, I'm glad to see such high ratings. It makes the paying so much more, just a little more palatable and easier to swallow. I hope that this will help some of the un-informed make a well informed decision on their next computer purchase, and look at the ratings instead of the labels, and pick which PC is best for them (Apple included. It is a Personal Computer no?)

I wonder if Apple will use this in their Ads?


So, to those who want it, I'll keep quiet for a day... you guys deserve it!


As for the attitude that some of us "non-believers" receive, I do wish that would change. I've been curtious, and I would expect the same in return. Please do not rub this in our faces. Thank You.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #35 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!

Figures that you would be the first to post something negative and irrelevant. Thanks for not disappointing us.
post #36 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

That's NOT drool.


Ewwwwwwww......
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #37 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

That's NOT drool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Ewwwwwwww......

So the next question is... Has he been choking the Colonel's chicken or is that Ronald's secret sauce?

Sorry, could resist.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #38 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Did they include a variable for cost?

If they didnt, this report shows pretty much what everyone already knew, and Microsoft covers in their adverts. Tehy are great, cool, blah blah blah, they are just expensive...

Too expensive is right! The HP dv3 (score 55) is about the same price as the plastic MacBook (score 55), yet the former uses an AMD processor. And the HP comes with Vista Homely edition, while the MacBook comes with Mac OS X Ultimate. Outrageous, HP.
post #39 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Amazing how many people spectacularly missed the sarcasm in that post.

Truly they need a good dose of satire and parody form The Onion or Mad. Like Apple's Laptop where they replaced the keyboard with a scrollwheel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLb...eature=channel
post #40 of 105
In your face
Quote:
Originally Posted by CU10 View Post


LMAO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacBooks sweep latest Consumer Reports scores