or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When is the GOP going to recover??

When is the GOP going to recover?? - Page 3

Poll Results: When will the GOP find a new direction and recover some power?

• 37% (6)
    10 years from now
  • 0% (0)
    15 years from now
  • 6% (1)
    25 years from now
  • 0% (0)
    half a century from now
  • 56% (9)
    in the 22th century
16 Total Votes  
post #81 of 316
Bush and cronies lied to take the country to war in Iraq. How could anyone doubt that they would try to mislead anybody and everybody on everything?

I'll give the dems the benefit of the doubt on this one; GW and Cronies, Inc lowered the bar on morality beyond comprehension.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #82 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Bush and cronies lied to take the country to war in Iraq. How could anyone doubt that they would try to mislead anybody and everybody on everything?

I'll give the dems the benefit of the doubt on this one; GW and Cronies, Inc lowered the bar on morality beyond comprehension.

I don't. Couple of reasons. First, it's a highly convenient excuse. Second, these are people that are supposed to be more in the know on these topics than the average American citizen. Finally, if they are this easily duped and or brow-beaten into going along, then they don't deserve to be in office.
post #83 of 316
You know it's actually quite interesting to me that Bush was portrayed as this evil, untrustworthy moron for most of his time in office, and yet the Democrats chose to believe what he and his administration always told them without question.

This is all fucking bullshit. It is political theater. They all knew what they were doing and what was going on. Let's stop pretending (and defending) one group vs. another and recognize the common maladies among them all...the thirst for power, control...the tenuous relationship with the truth (and even then only partial)...the back-stabbing, responsibility-avoiding, gutlessness that they all seem to suffer from.
post #84 of 316
I remember listening to c-span radio (90.1 FM Baltimore) as the votes were taken to effectively go to war in Iraq and being amazed so many democrats would give Bush the go ahead. I don't buy that they were helplessly mislead one bit, they played their part in initiating the war and for that I will forever mistrust them.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #85 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

The "D" beside their names must mean doofus, dope or dump. Democrats being misled all over the place. First it was the Iraq war. Then it was torture:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090514/...pelosi_torture

Now:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12373595

Democrats seem to be making being misled into part of their platform. It fits well with the "that wasn't me" mantra of the party leader.

Additionally, I bet the people who thought they were voting for change are starting to wonder when they'll actually get some:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/...nal/index.html

I find it absolutely hilarious that everyone who voted for change will eventually have none. The problem isn't the person occupying the office, it's the system. The system eventually crushes all individuals and everyone opposing it. There are no kings or saviors here for the US, just "machinery" driven by special interests that keeps grinding us down.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #86 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I remember listening to c-span radio (90.1 FM Baltimore) as the votes were taken to effectively go to war in Iraq and being amazed so many democrats would give Bush the go ahead. I don't buy that they were helplessly mislead one bit, they played their part in initiating the war and for that I will forever mistrust them.

I think all politicians need to be handled carefully. My above comment was more out of stunned shock at how immoral Bush and his camp were than out of support for the dems.

Yeah, I was stunned by how many voted for it, too.

post #87 of 316

post #88 of 316
The U.S. Government has become one giant clusterf**k, with the Republicans leading the charge and brainless Democrats following them over the cliff.

The kind of change we need will probably not happen unless the general population becomes better educated and we stop injecting religious dogma into the discourse. Unfortunately, it seems like 20% of the population is intent on keeping the other 80% in misery.
post #89 of 316
Quote:

I don't. Couple of reasons. First, it's a highly convenient excuse. Second, these are people that are supposed to be more in the know on these topics than the average American citizen. Finally, if they are this easily duped and or brow-beaten into going along, then they don't deserve to be in office.

You do of course realize by saying this you're admitting the Democrats were " duped " by the wrongly movtivated ( evil ) Republicans?

Which in turn means that if they don't deserve to be in office then the people who duped them don't either.

It's a tricky thing using that reverse logic on your opponent.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #90 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You do of course realize by saying this you're admitting the Democrats were " duped " by the wrongly movtivated ( evil ) Republicans?

No. Reading helps here. This is what I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf

Finally, if they are this easily duped and or brow-beaten into going along, then they don't deserve to be in office.

I actually don't think they were duped. I think that's a convenient (but quite unbelievable) lie to try and simultaneously absolve them of any guilt and complicity and to focus blame on someone else. It's "The Devil Made Me Do It!" defense. But the irony you failed to grasp is that if they were, then this clearly disqualifies them to hold office.

Quote:

Which in turn means that if they don't deserve to be in office then the people who duped them don't either.

Indeed, if they were duped and brow-beaten into this, they don't deserve to be in office, and the dupers and brow-beaters do not deserved to be in office either.

Quote:

It's a tricky thing using that reverse logic on your opponent.

Uh huh.
post #91 of 316
Quote:

No. Reading helps here. This is what I wrote:

I actually don't think they were duped. I think that's a convenient (but quite unbelievable) lie to try and simultaneously absolve them of any guilt and complicity and to focus blame on someone else. It's "The Devil Made Me Do It!" defense. But the irony you failed to grasp is that if they were, then this clearly disqualifies them to hold office.

Indeed, if they were duped and brow-beaten into this, they don't deserve to be in office, and the dupers and brow-beaters do not deserved to be in office either.

Uh huh.

Quote:
actually don't think they were duped. I think that's a convenient (but quite unbelievable) lie to try and simultaneously absolve them of any guilt and complicity and to focus blame on someone else. It's "The Devil Made Me Do It!" defense. But the irony you failed to grasp is that if they were, then this clearly disqualifies them to hold office.

Oh please! Now you're just being obtuse! Why would they go along with it then? What possible motivation?

You see when you remove the " Duped " part your argument gets pretty silly.
post #92 of 316
Quote:

Oh please! Now you're just being obtuse! Why would they go along with it then? What possible motivation?

Speaking of duped, you voted for Obama, right? 'Nuff said.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #93 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! You really got me there didn't you?

I happen to think that anyone who didn't vote for Obama ( considering what we've just been through ) seriously missed the boat! That is assuming they're interested in trying to fix this mess.

It's really been years now since I've been able to wake up, turn on the tv, see the president and not feel the sudden urge to revisit my breakfast! It's really kind of nice for a change.
post #94 of 316
Well in keeping with our recent discussion of religion and the GOP here's something I caught from io9 about an editorial on FOX news!

http://io9.com/5256346/thank-god-for...trek-literally

Quote:
Thank God For Star Trek... Literally

Quote:
T]oday, too many of us are trained to think of technology as something different and mostly apart from spirituality. That's unfortunate, because God created the geek and the nerd, too. Not to mention every tool, and every lifesaving device, and every form of protection. Surely every believer can laugh at the joke about the man in the burning building who declares, "God will save me." And so he declines to jump down into the safety net below, and then he refuses to descend down a rescue ladder, and then he refuses to be hoisted into a helicopter. So the man dies, goes to meet his Maker, and asks Him, "Why didn't you save me?" To which an exasperated Deity responds, "You fool! I offered you a net, I offered you a fire ladder, I even offered you a helicopter–what does it take to get through to you?"

The signs are everywhere, folks. And I believe that "Star Trek," and similar shows, are some of these signs. There's a reason that a favorite Christian writer, C.S. Lewis, wrote so much science fiction.

Now meaning no disrespect for those Church goers out there but this is just stupid! I loved the new movie! It's the freshest thing Star Trek has done in a long time. Aside from some groan worthy science moments it was wonderful! Now this guy ( James P. Pinkerton ) tries to connect this to god ( And the republicans ) and ride with it. I swear! They'll say anything!
post #95 of 316
Quote:

It doesn't take a genius to see that after 911 there was public support for a show of agression from the US and those that voted yeah on the Iraq vote could have had no doubt how easy the war would be to enact and how those opposing it would be marginalised as unpatriotic. If they were duped they were duped that the public would be with them for long.

post #96 of 316
Quote:

Why would they go along with it then? What possible motivation?

Following the desires of their constituency.
post #97 of 316
Quote:

And who did you vote for?
post #98 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And who did you vote for?

Chuck Baldwin

post #99 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Following the desires of their constituency.

That's really not a good enough motivation. Please explain in more detail why this would happen?
post #100 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

It doesn't take a genius to see that after 911 there was public support for a show of agression from the US and those that voted yeah on the Iraq vote could have had no doubt how easy the war would be to enact and how those opposing it would be marginalised as unpatriotic. If they were duped they were duped that the public would be with them for long.

Quote:
how those opposing it would be marginalised as unpatriotic.

Now that's more likely than duped. Duped at the beginning perhaps.
post #101 of 316
Quote:

That's really not a good enough motivation. Please explain in more detail why this would happen?

Elected officials serving those folks they are obligated to represent isn't a good enough reason?

Your opinion on the role of a public servant seems radically different than the one I have. Given that, I don't believe I can explain it to you.
post #102 of 316
FAVORS AND VOTES-

More than half of the Democratic Senators votes cast, who were not up for re-election voted nay, and it would have been higher, if that group didn't include the most right leaning Democrats ,John Breaux and Zell Miller and big time players like Daschle, Schumer and Bayh, who all voted yeah.
Those who were up for immediate (1 month away) election voted 10:4 yeah.
It would be interesting to see how many were in tight races as apposed to those who had stronger chances of winning and compare how they voted.
6 of the 7 Democrats who ran for president voted yeah

"In October 2002, there were 50 Democratic senators and one left-leaning independent. Of them, 29 supported the war resolution, and 22 opposed. At first glance, it seems most Democratic senators backed war.

Now, check a more trustworthy barometer of beliefs — the votes of senators who faced no re-election race a month later and have not run for president. These included 31 Democrats and one independent.

Of them, 17 voted against the war resolution, 15 in favor. Voting no were sober-minded Robert C. Byrd, Kent Conrad and Patrick J. Leahy. Voting yes were near-Republicans — John B. Breaux and Zell Miller — and upwardly mobile Evan Bayh, Tom Daschle and Charles E. Schumer.

That is, among Democratic senators free to vote their consciences, opinion tilted decidedly against war. But of 14 Democrats facing re-election fights that November, 10 voted for the war resolution, only four against.

And here are the numbers that matter most: Of seven Democratic senators who have since run for president, six supported the resolution. Only brave Bob Graham opposed.

Why did Graham alone make the right call? As chairman of the Intelligence Committee, he was perhaps the best informed. He was one of very few senators to read the National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction available to all senators 10 days before the vote. Graham said the 90—page report failed to persuade him that Iraq had WMD.

But the six future presidential candidates who voted yes — Joseph R. Biden Jr., Hillary Rodham Clinton, Christopher J. Dodd, John Edwards, John Kerry and Joseph I. Lieberman — were hardly ill informed. They were among the smartest senators. Their yes votes were striking because these senators rarely played hawk. Kerry and Clinton in particular came of age denouncing the Vietnam War."
~seacoastonline
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...2300331&sfad=1

post #103 of 316
Quote:

Now that's more likely than duped. Duped at the beginning perhaps.

These are from the only Republican senator who opposed the war, Chaffe.

They were afraid that Republicans would label them soft in the post-September 11 world, and when they acted in political self-interest, they helped the president send thousands of Americans and uncounted innocent Iraqis to their doom."

"A bewildered Chafee, seeking an explanation, turned to an unnamed Democratic senator who opposed the war but was well-respected by his partys leaders. This senator tells Chafee in confidence what concerned the Democrats. They are afraid the war will be over as fast as Gulf One. Few will die, the oil will flow and gasoline will cost 90 cents a gallon. I wander who could have given them that impression?!

post #104 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Elected officials serving those folks they are obligated to represent isn't a good enough reason?

Your opinion on the role of a public servant seems radically different than the one I have. Given that, I don't believe I can explain it to you.

Politicians doing what the voters want? Wow! I'd never thought of that!

My take on this is that at first Bush releases evidence that seems to show that Saddam had WMD. I mean you want to believe something that comes from the President! Then of course we find out the intel was half baked. Still the democrats didn't want to appear soft so the republicans could say " They're not supporting the troops! Both sides did the wrong thing here but bottom line the president followed questionable intel to futher his agenda.
post #105 of 316
It is looking more and more like Cheney may end up in prison.
post #106 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

It is looking more and more like Cheney may end up in prison.

Pelosi, too.

post #107 of 316
I don't think anyone will end up in prison - I think the threat to initiate an investigation was floated to try to quiet criticism from Cheney and that threat backfired with respect to Pelosi.

Biden, however, might be criticized next for releasing secret information.
post #108 of 316
Quote:

Pelosi, too.

And of what crime, exactly, do you expect to see her convicted?
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #109 of 316
Quote:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! You really got me there didn't you?

I happen to think that anyone who didn't vote for Obama ( considering what we've just been through ) seriously missed the boat! That is assuming they're interested in trying to fix this mess.

It's really been years now since I've been able to wake up, turn on the tv, see the president and not feel the sudden urge to revisit my breakfast! It's really kind of nice for a change.

Of course Obama is a likeable, intelligent guy... I wouldn't understand anyone who would argue on that point. That said, would you concede that it's possible to be intelligent or popular and still do the wrong thing? Just like the Republicans, he attacks the symptoms, not the cause of our current problems. Our current problems are magnified by government manipulation of the money supply. Fact.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #110 of 316
Quote:

Chuck Baldwin

Wow, a mega homophobe and religious fruitcake.

So, who duped who??
post #111 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Our current problems are magnified by government manipulation of the money supply.

Care to quantify this magnification factor with time (independent variable) with a peer reviewed referenced link?
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #112 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Care to quantify this magnification factor with time (independent variable) with a peer reviewed referenced link?

What peers?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #113 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Wow, a mega homophobe and religious fruitcake.

So, who duped who??

Apparently you've duped yourself.

post #114 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

And of what crime, exactly, do you expect to see her convicted?

Whatever crime(s) Cheney would get convicted of.

post #115 of 316
Quote:

Whatever crime(s) Cheney would get convicted of.

And why pray tell is that?
post #116 of 316
Quote:

Of course Obama is a likeable, intelligent guy... I wouldn't understand anyone who would argue on that point. That said, would you concede that it's possible to be intelligent or popular and still do the wrong thing? Just like the Republicans, he attacks the symptoms, not the cause of our current problems. Our current problems are magnified by government manipulation of the money supply. Fact.

And a 3rd party candidate is the only answer?
post #117 of 316
Quote:

And why pray tell is that?

Asking too many questions.

post #118 of 316
Quote:

Pelosi, too.

Pelosi is playing the Republimbecils like a fiddle. Now they want an investigation. HAHA.
They are really that stupid to fall for this, amazing.

Well done Ms. Speaker.
post #119 of 316
Quote:

Of course it is possible to be intelligent and still do the wrong thing. But it is much harder to do the right thing being stupid like 99% of GOP is doing right now.

Oh, and BTW Obama is always attacking the root of the problem. So you are truly displaying GOP-level thinking there.
post #120 of 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Oh, and BTW Obama is always attacking the root of the problem.

Oh my God. That made me laugh so hard I almost pissed my pants. That is priceless. I'm not sure which is funnier, the fact that you said it, or that you actually believe it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › When is the GOP going to recover??