or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Unibody MacBook Heat - To hot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unibody MacBook Heat - To hot?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I have searched the forum and not turned up much on the Unibody MacBook and heat issues. I am finding that mine runs around the 80-90C consistently in a room which is never more than 20C. Even under little load. Does anyone else have this or is it just me?

Thanks,

Edd
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baredd View Post

I have searched the forum and not turned up much on the Unibody MacBook and heat issues. I am finding that mine runs around the 80-90C consistently in a room which is never more than 20C. Even under little load. Does anyone else have this or is it just me?

Thanks,

Edd

I have a black one and it runs under similar conditions at around 55-65oC, but under load it jumps to 75-83oC in seconds without ever exceeding that limit. So yours seems realy high. But I am not sure if we can compare the two.

As a reference, my wife's MBP needs some time to reach 65-70oC under heavy stress. But this is 15", the MB is 13".

Are you sure there is no some process stressing the machine in the background?
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi PB,

Thanks for the reply, yer had a look through all the processes and checked to see what is running and nothing looks out of place. The CPU is not under load at all, however when I stress it, I have seen 97C which is VERY concerning to me. Also I would imagine with the newer(cooler) CPU architecture on the Unibody MB and the fact the body is a VERY large heatsink I should be comparable if not lower than the Black MB.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baredd View Post

Also I would imagine with the newer(cooler) CPU architecture on the Unibody MB and the fact the body is a VERY large heatsink I should be comparable if not lower than the Black MB.

Since the above is what common sense suggests, I would encourage you to talk to Apple about this. So much heat output at low CPU usage definitely does not sound normal. And I suppose the fan runs at high speed and noise, right?

If re-installing the OS is an option, I would say to try it before talking to Apple.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Already tried reinstalling OSX, no such luck. Strangely the fans do not run on max usually 3-5K RPM.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baredd View Post

Thanks for the reply, yer had a look through all the processes and checked to see what is running and nothing looks out of place.

I forgot to ask, how did you check the running processes?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baredd View Post

Hi PB,

Thanks for the reply, yer had a look through all the processes and checked to see what is running and nothing looks out of place. The CPU is not under load at all, however when I stress it, I have seen 97C which is VERY concerning to me. Also I would imagine with the newer(cooler) CPU architecture on the Unibody MB and the fact the body is a VERY large heatsink I should be comparable if not lower than the Black MB.

They're also using the 25w P-series instead of the 35w T-series.
post #8 of 11
I use my aluminum MacBook everyday with parallels running sometimes 2 Windows OS's. It never gets very hot. In fact, I thought it ran very cool. I'm using it right now and the underside of mine is barely warm.

Aluminum is supposed to get hot. The aluminum casing aids with heat dissipation. The Aluminum iMac does the same thing. My 24" aluminum iMac case gets VERY hot sometimes, but the processors, GPU, RAM, etc aren't hot at all. Just because the aluminum case it hot, doesn't mean the computer is overheating.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Cheers for all the replys. I am using iStat Pro to monitor the system temps. And have used the Activity Monitor to see what processes are running.

Ben - sorry but getting slightly confused are the Unibody the 25w or 35w envelope series CPU's? im guessing the 25w due to the reduced architecture size of the chip.

The actual body of the MacBook is cool (ish) apart from the hinge/vent area which does get hot. The biggest concern is the actual component temps. With iStat reporting the following:

HD Enclosure - 34C (seems ok for a 7200RPM HDD)
CPU - 77C (under no load)
Enclosure Base - 32C (seems ok)
Enclosure Base 2 - 30C - Again seems ok
Enclosure Base 3 - 28C - Again seems fine
Heatsink A - 72C (under no load)
Heatsink B - 65C (under no load)
Northbridge - 62C (inder no load)
Fan - 3124RPM
CPU (both cores) between 5-12% over 30 seconds

Laptop uptime left idle mostly 2hrs

Hope this helps. I have spoken to Apple and done the power reset and thats the values Im getting now. However going to ring them again tomorrow as they asked me to give them an update then.

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by baredd View Post

And have used the Activity Monitor to see what processes are running.

You can also try the "top" command in the Terminal with the option "-u -s3" (for output according to CPU usage every 3 seconds). So you should type:

top -u -s3

and then watch the output. Normally Activity Monitor shows everything, just to cross-check.
post #11 of 11
I got one of the launch late 2008 model unibody macbook pro's and am suffering the same issue as you are.

Symptoms: excessive and uncomfortable heat coming from hing area. DRASTICALLY reduced battery life as a result of excess heat.

When: The system does not have to be under load, but there are certain activities that really aggravate it. With a fresh install and with iTunes launched I turn on the "stix" stock visualization in windowed mode and leave the audio paused. The temperature will skyrocket in just a few minutes.

Attempted fix: I've brought my macbook pro in for repair several times. Each time they run a diagnostic stress test and tell me that it passed all tests. They replaced my left and right fans but it really hasn't done anything for my temperature spikes.

Thoughts: One of the early OS patches that was released addressed an issue that the U-MBP had waking up from sleep randomly. I often have my U-MBP in a neoprene sleeve in a laptop bag so there was more than one occasion that it woke up with no way to ventilate itself. My fear is that during one of those incidents some damage was suffered. Not a damage that results in outward uncorrected errors, but perhaps one that causes more internal CPU resistance and higher running temperatures?

I can't say for sure, but I plan on bringing my machine back in and insisting on a motherboard replacement because this level of heat/battery life is really not normal.
mechno
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Unibody MacBook Heat - To hot?