or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs seen returning post-WWDC brandishing new iPhones

Steve Jobs seen returning post-WWDC brandishing new iPhones

post #1 of 48
While all eyes are on Apple's annual developers conference as a likely forum for new iPhone hardware announcements, one Wall Street analyst is advising clients that better bets may be placed on an event a few weeks later that may also mark the return of Steve Jobs.

In a note to clients, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said he believes a press release from Apple on Wednesday regarding its WWDC keynote plans suggests the event will largely focus around software and may have even been drafted as such to reset expectations for the conference.

"As indicated in today's press release, we believe Apple will focus on the new version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard at WWDC," he wrote. "While some investors may be expecting Apple to launch redesigned iPhones at WWDC, we do not anticipate the launch in early June."

Instead, Munster is placing his money on a surprise media event that would take place sometime in late June or early July following Jobs' return. He believes the event will be used to usher in a new "family" of iPhones, including a cheaper model that he sees playing into Apple's strategy for the Chinese cell phone market which could materialize by September.

"We continue to expect multiple models, possibly a high-end iPhone with improved specs from the current version and a low-end version with lower capacity and fewer features along with a reduced pricing plan," the analyst wrote.

With Phil Schiller announced as the keynote speaker for this year's WWDC, some investors may have renewed concern that Jobs may never return to the company, according to Munster, who maintains his belief that co-founder is on track to return later in the month, per comments from other members of the company's leadership.

"This is consistent with our expectations as well as Apple's indications that Steve Jobs is still planning on returning to the company 'at the end of June' (emphasis added)," he wrote. "In order for Jobs to deliver the keynote on June 8th, he would likely begin preparations well before his intended return date."

Munster's presumptions may carry some weight given that new iPhone hardware will require advancements present in iPhone Software 3.0, which is unlikely to be ready for public consumption as early as WWDC. Only last week did Apple issue a mandate requiring all developers to certify that new and updated app submissions are compatible with the upcoming software update.
post #2 of 48
I hope Steve regains his health but extends his leave of absence to work on his house. I am just about finished with my new house which has been under construction for almost a year. A project like Steve's will take a lot of energy on his part but is a really rewarding endeavor. As long as he is healthy, it shouldn't affect Apple stock adversely if he extends his leave since he could return at any time he chooses.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 48
Umm, this actually does make sense.

Guess we may have to wait several more weeks for iPhone hardware updates.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #4 of 48
If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake. They need to show the world that they can do major product releases without him.

Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve. That way it won't matter what he looks like on stage. The alternative is more of the same obsession with his health.
post #5 of 48
While I have no idea either, if I were in charge at Apple the last thing I would want to do would be to fuel the Cult of Steve. I sincerely hope that Jobs is well into his recovery, but Apple needs to reassure that it can go it without Steve, something that eventually must happen as we are all mortal.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake. They need to show the world that they can do major product releases without him.

Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve. That way it won't matter what he looks like on stage. The alternative is more of the same obsession with his health.

Exactimo - big mistake to bring back Steve. Just when he/we thought he was out they couldn't possibly pull him back in, could they? He may insist, of course...
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Umm, this actually does make sense.

Guess we may have to wait several more weeks for iPhone hardware updates.

Doesn't make sense to me. So far this year has been just like last year. They did the iphone software intro at the same time. It will be released at the same time, or close to it.

Last year there was NO announcement of iPhone 3G hardware until it happened, first day of WWDC. Despite it being obvious as there was no iPhone stock anywhere.

It's easier for Apple to follow a pattern than do everything different each year.

If Steve isn't well enough in early June will he be in late June? Doubtful.

I see little basis for Munster's prediction. If I had to bet on it I'd say WWDC keynote unveils the new phone. Which may ship then or maybe later.
post #8 of 48
Makes more sense to unveil new iPhones at WWDC, not later.

Gruber explains why:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...et-iphone-apis
post #9 of 48
Quote:

If Apple waits for Steve they'll be making a huge mistake.

I doubt Apple is waiting for Steve. Production schedules are established many months in advance. I expect when Steve said he was taking a 6 month hiatus, he and everyone else at the top of Apple knew this would fit well with the next generation announcement.

Quote:
Apple simply must separate themselves and their products from Steve.

As if MWSF'09 didn't and WWDC'09 won't help with that?
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Doesn't make sense to me. So far this year has been just like last year. They did the iphone software intro at the same time. It will be released at the same time, or close to it.

Last year there was NO announcement of iPhone 3G hardware until it happened, first day of WWDC. Despite it being obvious as there was no iPhone stock anywhere.

It's easier for Apple to follow a pattern than do everything different each year.

If Steve isn't well enough in early June will he be in late June? Doubtful.

I see little basis for Munster's prediction. If I had to bet on it I'd say WWDC keynote unveils the new phone. Which may ship then or maybe later.

I agree. I think it will be the same as they've done every year. That would also accomplish, as other have pointed out, that they can release a product without Steve.
post #11 of 48
I don't understand how having Steve deliver the keynote makes that dramatic of a difference in sales. Maybe if it had been two or three years and apple was releasing a new device, not just a hardware refresh, which was clearly outside the design scope of Jobs, then maybe the public may be really unsure, unsettled about the new project. Am I crazy with line of reasoning?
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
post #12 of 48
If he's going to be "brandishing" the new iPhone he better not drop it, cause he'll have to send it away for a while to get fixed and pay basically most of the cost all over again. They're a delicate little number those things.

Now...

Super quality camera with autofocus, and a flash.
+
Double the RAM.
+
An OLED display.

Just do it

---

I'd like to add - no matter what people tell you - the black levels on these iPhone screens (both types) are awful. The screen is this phone. Even if the only thing they changed was the screen, by making it an OLED display, I'd be basically happy with that. A better camera would be a bonus, and video is a given. It's not an extra new thing, but something that currently is missing. The RAM seems to be a technical thing that no amount of optimization can fix, I hear programmers talking about it all the time. It would be a tiny tiny cost to double the RAM - that would great reduce sluggishness, and would probably improve Safari a bunch.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 48
The more I think about it, the less sense it makes... They want developers to prepare for the new device, that includes making use of new hardware features (the current iPhone OS beta - neither the set of APIs, nor the user features - is certainly not feature complete, as they keep things under the hood). Now let's say (just an example): the rumored magnetometer/compass is true. Will they introduce the respective API during WWDC, and then Jobs will hold a special event one month later, announcing the very same thing again as a big surprise? The device and the software go hand in hand. They have to introduce both (or nothing).
post #14 of 48
Well everyone I have a good idea to what's going on in the world of apple. Possibly, a new iphone could be unveiled at WWDC and it will be the new iphone everyone is expecting the one with the supposed chinese screen shot (Iphone 2,1). However at another event perhaps a month later apple could unveil...wait for it THE IPHONE PRO. (Iphone 3,1)

I know it's a little out there in terms of actually happening but if you think about it, it goes together nicely with lots of the rumors. For example the whole "Iphone 3,1" thing operating under the 3.0 software. Also wasn't there a rumor about a 3.2 megapixel camera order with a 5.0 megapixel camera coming later on in the year? Hopefully it will go on the Iphone pro. Also this could be the family of iphones mentioned above and would be a nice way to welcome Steve back- by introducing a device nobody thought possible ( 64 gigs, 5 meg camera, 1Ghz processor, slide out keyboard or keyboard "attachement" to appeal to business/former blackberry users?)

Let me know what you think.
post #15 of 48
This is a really misleading headline. Clearly, Steve Jobs was NOT seen.
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The RAM seems to be a technical thing that no amount of optimization can fix, I hear programmers talking about it all the time. It would be a tiny tiny cost to double the RAM - that would great reduce sluggishness, and would probably improve Safari a bunch.

Yes, it is something developers talk about a lot and its extremely important. Why? iPhone is capped, for the whole system at 128MB, which is very low. When it gets packed with a whopping game, then you will experience sluggishness because the iPhone will tell the app to release memory, causing a slowdown because the CPU is busy releasing tonnes of memory, not playing your game.

It is important to note, however, that the CPU is the main cause of sluggishness. Test an iPod Touch 2G... that 100Mhz upgrade made it a KILLER device. It gives a whole new meaning to snappiness . Thats because its got extra CPU cycles idle to allow bottlenecks at memory deallocation to be worked through quicker, and its just got less hogging its CPU all the time.

If you want snappier iPhones then developers need to be critical of where they're doing all their fugly, processor intensive code, not so much focusing 24/7 on memory...
post #17 of 48
This is nothing but setting up expectations for a Jobs return that will drive prices down for shorters when it doesn't happen.
Looks like the same games Cramer got slammed for exposing are still in play.

Apple needs to put Jobs on the shelf permanently. Super-Senior-Apple-Fellow, with all powers except for the ability to drive stock down because of his health.
They have the opportunity... they need to take it.
post #18 of 48
Quote:

I totally agree. Apple and it's board have to show that new products can happen WITHOUT Steve. Yeah, it'll be great to have him back, but I cannot imagine that they'll want him to continue as the one spokesman of amazing things.

I think the ONLY reason to push back an iPhone release is to ruin everyone else's plan for their announcements. Because all the other vendors (RIM, Palm, Microsoft) are scheduling all their announcements based on a WWDC announcement. If Apple pushes back their announcement, 100 marketing departments will be jumping through hoops rescheduling their own announcements.

WWDC is for developers. I do expect iPhone OS 3.0. But a new phone? Not necessary. All the great features for the new series of phones will be in 3.1.
post #19 of 48
New iPhone hardware at WWDC...

- and then Steve comes back weeks later to introduce their tablet media pad iThingy.
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
www.GeekFitClub.com - A healthier lifestyle one byte at a time
post #20 of 48
OH NO! I'm waiting on my first iPhone. I can barely wait until June. Please lets not start July talk...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Makes more sense to unveil new iPhones at WWDC, not later.

Gruber explains why:
http://daringfireball.net/linked/200...et-iphone-apis

Agree
New hardware needed to show 3.0's new features at WWDC!
But/And on SJ's return late jun/jul? announcing new i mini/net/tab - U name it. hopefully w/ upgraded books/computers running Snow Leopard.

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

post #22 of 48
Quote:

Don't worry - Apple has a plan B that has already been kicked off. They've prepared a Fat Suit for Steve to wear, ala Martin Short's Jiminy Glick suit. It will take us from, "Oh no, Steve appears to be at death's door, he's soo thin!" to, "Oh my God, Steve is a fat pig. That lard ass better get back to work!" And all will be well with Apple and its stock price. At least as long as Steve can wear the suit.
post #23 of 48
Phil S doing the keynote... Talking about Snow Leo and iPhoneOS 3...
Then...
"One more thing... Some new hardare to run OS3 on... And to tell you all about it let me invite to MY stage... Mr. Steve Jobs."
(crowd applauds a balding 90 lb. Steve.)
(Apple stock soars as the new phone is a huge hit.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

New iPhone hardware at WWDC...

- and then Steve comes back weeks later to introduce their tablet media pad iThingy.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
bb
bb
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Phil S doing the keynote... Talking about Snow Leo and iPhoneOS 3...
Then...
"One more thing... Some new hardare to run OS3 on... And to tell you all about it let me invite to MY stage... Mr. Steve Jobs."
(crowd applauds a balding 90 lb. Steve.)
(Apple stock soars as the new phone is a huge hit.)

I digress.
Bad/weakened economy. After 45 minutes if how apple stayed flat while everine else(falsely) dud not (compared to :40 minutes if self praise and .002 market growth)), you have millions if AT&T subscribers with contracts expiring, the new palm pre, wireless charging, full flash, window 7 with touch on numerous devices, left only needing to take care of a few different oses compared to vista and drivers for xp, 98, server03/08, vista, IT very interested in win 7, and iPhone/iPods sales becoming saturated ( see last months piper jaffery article).

Apple has released most hardware. This year all about software, final cut, logic, iLife already released. Only thing left is a tablet, 10" screen and it had better be a home run. However, with current MacBook and air pricing, I don't see how it could. Either way, I think apple may be in trouble unless they really hit a home run. People are not going to go fir anything near $999 nor will they be interested in any 2 year data plan for a subsidized device.
post #26 of 48
IF they unveil the new iphone at WWDC, when do they unveil the other new hardware? at the same time or at another conference. im holding back from buying a new mac until i see what comes out before i make my choice. does anyone have any thoughts?
post #27 of 48
Quote:

Name the product releases since he left the company for health recovery. There are several of them.
post #28 of 48
Groan. If true, prepare for more volatility in AAPL's price over the next year.

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above (add: Bregalad) who pointed out that it is time for Apple to start to make the effort to decouple its product strategy from Steve Jobs, and be seen to be doing so.
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Name the product releases since he left the company for health recovery. There are several of them.

That is the point he is trying to make.
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

... I digress. Bad/weakened economy. After 45 minutes if how apple stayed flat while everine else(falsely) dud not (compared to :40 minutes if self praise and .002 market growth)), ...

WTF?

If you're gonna post from the iPhone could you at least read it before hitting the post button?
I don't mean to single you out, but posts are getting almost unreadable sometimes.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If you're gonna post from the iPhone ........

On the subject of which, WHEN is AI going to have an iPhone app?

Isn't it about time, guys?

C'mon....... \
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes... They want developers to prepare for the new device, that includes making use of new hardware features (the current iPhone OS beta - neither the set of APIs, nor the user features - is certainly not feature complete, as they keep things under the hood). Now let's say (just an example): the rumored magnetometer/compass is true. Will they introduce the respective API during WWDC, and then Jobs will hold a special event one month later, announcing the very same thing again as a big surprise? The device and the software go hand in hand. They have to introduce both (or nothing).

I think you're making too much of a deal of that . They don't need much to show off the device features. If third party developers are allowed to get advanced access to make new software with special features for the new hardware available at the demo and at ship time, it's only going to be a select few of them, maybe a small team in Sega or EA, plus some relatively obscure social media company. Apple can have their own apps take advantage of the new hardware. Besides, developers don't seem to take too long to update and add features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd like to add - no matter what people tell you - the black levels on these iPhone screens (both types) are awful. The screen is this phone. Even if the only thing they changed was the screen, by making it an OLED display, I'd be basically happy with that. A better camera would be a bonus, and video is a given.

I would like better blacks, and can do without the slight display shimmer that iPhone 3G has.

But is OLED cost down enough and production up to being able to take on iPhone volumes? It can be done on more obscure and low volume devices, with Apple, you probably need to be able to guarantee that you can produce 20 million of them a year.
post #33 of 48
someone please speculate on my theory posted above!!!! (#14) i think
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

On the subject of which, WHEN is AI going to have an iPhone app?

Isn't it about time, guys?

C'mon....... \

Would a site specific program really solve the problem of a handheld devices being a little tedious to write on? I think it would need a vBulletin plug-in if the forum is going to be part of it a special app or site presentation.

But whatever the issue, I was chuckling at the response because I didn't understand the post in question either.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGr View Post

This is a really misleading headline. Clearly, Steve Jobs was NOT seen.

Unless it was a fortune teller or some other form of soothsayer, say a Wall Street stock analyst.

This is a different meaning of seen, reasonably valid but I think it's an awkward one to use, and like most forms of headline grammar, I don't like it.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I second that. The iPhone is now yesterdays news. Steve is focussing on his iTabled. Something that will again leave the market buffeld and left behind for another 4 years. As everybody is trying to catch up with the iPhone ala HTC and Nokia or trying to stay on the same pace ala Palm. They are keeping the iPhone up to pace and introduce another killer-machine.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
post #37 of 48
on which I put a solid share of probability at the beginning of that hysteria of iPhone Cockchafer...
Seeing all that months after I admit, it is exactly as probable (even a bit less) as the fact they will announce it without waiting for Steve.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #38 of 48
even though you could barely read comment #25 he has mentioned the most important fact. it's AT&T!

IF the iPhone won't come out at WWDC, it will shortly after. But definitely before the end of june. AT&T is happy with it's new subscribers and will NOT risk that just one of them finds a better smartphone outside the AT&T-world. So Apple will show the world the new iPhone at least some days before those iphone plans expire and make sure that each and everyone of those early birds know for sure what the next phone will be - the new iPhone.

(whether it's Steve Jobs or George Bush who presents it - i couldn't care less. And Apple would do well if they keep the person behind such a device as unimportant as possible. And I think they are doing a great job so far without Jobs)
post #39 of 48
Now...

Super quality camera with autofocus, and a flash.

- 12 - 15 MP, with a nice 8 to 1 zoom, an add on battery holder (for shooting a lot of pictures)

- announce several add-on lenses, and colors, let's have all of the colors the shuffle comes in (a great looking matching set), boy would my kids like that.

- I know I'D LOVE to have a PHONE that I didn't have to have a contract to use. And boy would I love to be able to call anywhere in the world with it, and not have to worry about reception or the cost to do so.

- While were at it, let's make sure that the damn battery doesn't go dead after 4 days use I mean, how in hell I'm I going to film my full length feature film with a damn PHONE that goes dead after just a few hours of shooting.

Sorry folks, I thought it was called the iPhone, not the iCamera or iMulti-tool unit

Don't forget folks, if Apple makes a wonderful all-in-one tool, then there maybe a bunch of folks laid off at - camera companies, GPS companies, internet based companies, Computer companies, (including Apple, who won't sell anywhere near as many Mac's), software companies MAY get hit, but this might be the one bright spot.

Now don't get me wrong, the iPHONE has turned into one hell of a Phone? - mini computer? Hand-held computing device?, Camera?, game console?, (very expensive) adding machine?, and it slices and dices all without risk to your fingers, but me, I'm a traditionalist - if I want to call some one, I pick up my PHONE, when I want to take some pictures, I pick up my CAMERA, use the internet, I turn on my G5, but hey, maybe I'll come around after using my new iPhone

Skip
post #40 of 48
I will not believe any analyst after watching this, particularly on companies like Apple and RIM.

Start the video at 3:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRa0B34jMOQ
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Steve Jobs seen returning post-WWDC brandishing new iPhones