or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Any Christians here?

Any Christians here?

post #1 of 119
So I decided to scan over a few of the top threads here in this forum and it had me thinking?

Are any of you all here Christ followers / Christians?

If so what are your thoughts of God's provision in your life?

If not I invite you to consider things other than issues of immigration, liberals vs/ conservatives.

What is important to you in your life?

List your top 5 priorities in life be you a Christ follower or not.

Fellows
May the peace of the Lord be with you always

Share your smile, Have respect for others, and be loving to all peoples

Paul in Athens: Acts 17 : 16-34

post #2 of 119
Nope sorry. I think I would be atheist but I'm too lazy to worry about it. I guess that makes me agnostic.
post #3 of 119
I'm not, but I've been baptized twice; once as a Catholic when I was very young and then later, as a teenager, as a member of a fundamentalist religion. In my late teens I transitioned into mild agnosticism and shortly after, an agnostic atheist.

Important things in my life are my daughter and wife, my friends, and pretty much what many Christians find important in their lives, with the notable exception of anything relating to a god or gods.
post #4 of 119
I believe Jesus to be God, in a spiritual sense, the light in the world. However, should anyone disagree or not have reason to believe the same, I don't believe they are in any way less right than me, indeed they may know something I don't and could be more right, in some ways. I know what I know and leave it at that.

I believe strongly in science but I also believe that spirituality trumps science on a profound level. Spirituality puts 'all' the dots together, our connection to ourselves and the universe at the same time, the fundamental truth of our existence.

I don't know what category that puts me in and I don't care. I really believe in just one thing, divine truth, and that to me is God who Jesus is.

All very basic, I know, but nothing has made me believe that what I believe, is wrong and nothing can.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #5 of 119
I was raised Catholic, but now I pretty much consider myself as someone who has spiritual but not religious convictions. I don't spend time talking to others outside my immediate family about any specific spiritual beliefs and really don't appreciate others who do.
post #6 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

So I decided to scan over a few of the top threads here in this forum and it had me thinking?

Are any of you all here Christ followers / Christians?

If so what are your thoughts of God's provision in your life?

If not I invite you to consider things other than issues of immigration, liberals vs/ conservatives.

What is important to you in your life?

Fellows

I have a very high level of education in many subjects and have traveled a great portion of the world and met some of the wisest people on Earth. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the christian God doesn't exist, neither does any of the Gods of any of the world religions.
post #7 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I have a very high level of education in many subjects and have traveled a great portion of the world and met some of the wisest people on Earth. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the christian God doesn't exist, neither does any of the Gods of any of the world religions.

You can say that with 100% certainty, but you know that on the internet everyone has a very high level of education in many subjects....

That and a dime will get you a cup of coffee.

Just think - if you come off sounding like "just another internet intellectual" to me (after reading my post above you should be able to tell where I'm coming from) then imagine what you sound like to the OP.

Outspoken Atheists and Agnostics are just as bad as any other ultra-worshiper.
post #8 of 119
Quote:

1. Safety and happiness of wife and kids
2. Health
3. Money, as much as possible (--> toys)
4. Cheese, made from raw milk and kept a room temperature
5. Intellectual stimulation
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #9 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You can say that with 100% certainty, but you know that on the internet everyone has a very high level of education in many subjects....

That and a dime will get you a cup of coffee.

Just think - if you come off sounding like "just another internet intellectual" to me (after reading my post above you should be able to tell where I'm coming from) then imagine what you sound like to the OP.

Outspoken Atheists and Agnostics are just as bad as any other ultra-worshiper.

There used to be only one member here I would have trouble believing about personal stuff.

You just made #2.
post #10 of 119
Quote:

Who did you speak to?
It wasn't the chief magistrate, was it?

It began upon the following Occasion.

It is allowed on all Hands, that the primitive way of breaking Eggs, before we eat them, was upon the larger End: But his present Majesty's Grand-father, while he was a Boy, going to eat an Egg, and breaking it according to the ancient Practice, happened to cut one of his Fingers. Whereupon the Emperor his Father published an Edict, commanding all his Subjects, upon great Penaltys, to break the smaller End of their Eggs.

The People so highly resented this Law, that our Histories tell us there have been six Rebellions raised on that account; wherein one Emperor lost his Life, and another his Crown. These civil Commotions were constantly fomented by the Monarchs of Blefuscu; and when they were quelled, the Exiles always fled for Refuge to that Empire.

It is computed, that eleven thousand Persons have, at several times, suffered Death, rather than submit to break their Eggs at the smaller End. Many hundred large Volumes have been published upon this Controversy: But the books of the Big-Endians have been long forbidden, and the whole Party rendered incapable by Law of holding Employments.

During the Course of these Troubles, the Emperors of Blefuscu did frequently expostulate by their Ambassadors, accusing us of making a Schism in Religion, by offending against a fundamental Doctrine of our great Prophet Lustrog, in the fifty-fourth Chapter of the Brundrecal (which is their Alcoran.) This, however, is thought to be a meer Strain upon the Text: For the Words are these: That all true Believers shall break their Eggs at the convenient End: and which is the convenient End, seems, in my humble Opinion, to be left to every Man's Conscience, or at least in the power of the Chief Magistrate to determine.
post #11 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

There used to be only one member here I would have trouble believing about personal stuff.

What did he/she say that was so unbelievable?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #12 of 119
There we go, fantasy land.

Believe what you want, just don't try to make me believe it.
post #13 of 119
Quote:

Then I'll just have to put you on ignore
post #14 of 119
Quote:

Believe what? I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, you are just very unclear.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #15 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Believe what? I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, you are just very unclear.

Hands Sandon's post was from Gulliver's Travels, a fantasy.

That's where I stand on religion.
post #16 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

What did he/she say that was so unbelievable?

Go read the Paradox thread in AppleOutsider, covers both posters.
The last couple of pages covers it pretty well.
post #17 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Then I'll just have to put you on ignore

Kudos.
post #18 of 119
Quote:

Hands Sandon's post was from Gulliver's Travels, a fantasy.

That's where I stand on religion.

You're right.

Each to their own on these matters.
post #19 of 119
Me a Christian?... not a chance. I am not up to such a tough call. I am not sure if I know anyone else who is either. It's a virtual impossibility in today's world without severe compromise, and I am sure that Jesus would not approve of his tenets being compromised for the sake of convenience, expediency etc. There are many who talk the talk, but "walking the walk", as a true Christian, without such compromise would be a sure way of collecting a lot of enemies.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #20 of 119
Quote:

Kudos.

Thank you.
post #21 of 119
Quote:

Thank you.

Hey, not necessary but appreciated.
post #22 of 119
Thanks for all your replies! I think it is great when people can be candid with their thoughts, views and even beliefs.

Have a Blessed day and please feel free to continue to discuss your experiences.

Fellows

post #23 of 119
Quote:

Who are some of the "wisest people on Earth" you have met??

Fellows

post #24 of 119

post #25 of 119
It is scientifically proven that God doesn't exist.
post #26 of 119
I used to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny when I was a kid, but, eventually I grew up.

Same with Christianity and religion.
post #27 of 119
Quote:

No links, no nothing, show us the peer reviewed papers, we want names, we want dates, we want test tubes, WE WANT HARD FACTS!!
post #28 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I used to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny when I was a kid, but, eventually I grew up.

Same with Christianity and religion.

Hey, at least Santa brings you presents. Christianity only brings you an old fartass (Pope or priest) trying to run your life and getting you to accept the idea that sex with swedish twins is somehow wrong.
post #29 of 119
Quote:

Hey, at least Santa brings you presents. Christianity only brings you an old fartass (Pope or priest) trying to run your life and getting you to accept the idea that sex with swedish twins is somehow wrong.

That can be true for lots of people whether religious or not, it's not true for me, in part because I don't follow ANY religion. In fact I pretty much do as I please. I agree that religion has made people do things out of feeding fear or guilt rather than let them use their own minds to decide what's right or wrong. Personally, I believe good and evil exist though, I believe Jesus and demons exist and I try to do what I think is right, but I don't follow any rules from Christianity and don't believe it's in any way wrong not to.
post #30 of 119
Quote:

That can be true for lots of people whether religious or not, it's not true for me, in part because I don't follow ANY religion. In fact I pretty much do as I please. I agree that religion has made people do things out of feeding fear or guilt rather than let them use their own minds to decide what's right or wrong. Personally, I believe good and evil exist though, I believe Jesus and demons exist and I try to do what I think is right, but I don't follow any rules from Christianity and don't believe it's in any way wrong not to.

I respect your life's experiences but I would suggest that you have not given faith a chance.

Being a Christian is not about rules. It is about Love, Faith and service.

Fellows

post #31 of 119
Quote:

How old are you?

So you think if you have sex with swedish twins you are satisfied with your life?

Fellows

post #32 of 119
Quote:

No links, no nothing, show us the peer reviewed papers, we want names, we want dates, we want test tubes, WE WANT HARD FACTS!!

Only those who place science above God need all this "proof"

Fellows

post #33 of 119
Quote:

What have you been reading?

Fellows

post #34 of 119
If god would exist, it would have prevented Tauron from saying it doesn't.
post #35 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

If god would exist, it would have prevented Tauron from saying it doesn't.

You think so?

Fellows

post #36 of 119
Quote:

Being a Christian is not about rules. It is about Love, Faith and service.

Says who? So, that bible and commandments, they aren't rules?

Unfortunately, Christianity (and religion in general) is all about oppressing people based on fairy tales in order to control them. War, torture, hating those who are different or don't "believe" in your fairy tales...that's what Christianity is all about these days. It's just a cult, and a dangerous one at that.
post #37 of 119
Quote:

Unfortunately, Christianity (and religion in general) is all about oppressing people based on fairy tales in order to control them. War, torture, hating those who are different or don't "believe" in your fairy tales...that's what Christianity is all about these days. It's just a cult, and a dangerous one at that.

I know that perfectly describes every Christian that I know. Not.

I'm curious what "Christian" circles you must run in to have come up with those perceptions.

Wow. Seriously...wow! You seem to have some issues here.
post #38 of 119
Quote:

So you think if you have sex with swedish twins you are satisfied with your life?

That wasn't his point at all. He wasn't saying that sex is the meaning of life, but that the church tries to control people's sex lives. You twisted his meaning.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #39 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

I know that perfectly describes every Christian that I know. Not.

I'm curious what "Christian" circles you must run in to have come up with those perceptions.

Wow. Seriously...wow! You seem to have some issues here.

The truth is sometimes hard to hear.

My perception is based on the years I spent as a Catholic and what I see happening all around me in the name of "religion" or "Christianity."
post #40 of 119
Quote:

Says who? So, that bible and commandments, they aren't rules?

You see rules I see provision.

It is sort of like rules of the road regarding stop lights, speed limits, school zones etc.

Yes you can see it as control or rules or another way to look at it would be measures taken in order to attempt to provide for safe travel on the roads.

With God's word I see it as provision rather than cold heartless rules with no basis.

As for your comments regarding oppressing people, fairy tails in order to control them that has not been my experience with God. God in fact has brought joy into my life with my marriage, my son and our fellowship with God together.

It has been a growing experience for myself and one that never ends. My walk has been humbling, honest and real in every sense to serve my fellow man and learn from God's teachings. But service is not something that is required of me. It is something that I am inspired to do at times as I see the need. Not a hoop to jump through as to maintain some kind of standard that if I fail to maintain I am not worthy or good. On the contrary I am motivated by love to help others. This is not to say that non-Christians can't function by way of motivation of love. I would simply suggest that we all have objects of our affection and these objects can be ranked in a priority list which could of course change dynamically moment to moment.

In my case the greatest object of my affection is God.

Glory be to God.

Not disrespect and condescention.

With respect,

Fellows

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Any Christians here?