or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wal-Mart's new Apple section seen as precursor to Mac sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wal-Mart's new Apple section seen as precursor to Mac sales - Page 3

post #81 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

I can't see Wal-Mart selling an underwhelming AppleTV or a diminutive Mac mini to the same customers who can buy a quad-core HP desktop tower with Blu-Ray and a TV tuner for less than $1,000.

Do you really believe that the current iMac with its reflective glass, slower, dual-core mobile CPU, and high price stands a chance against a lower priced desktop computer with a quad-core desktop CPU, 4 GB of RAM, Blu-Ray and a TV tuner?

Apple is a computer hardware company with no desktop computer, no office desktop computer and no family desktop computer. Do you really believe that Apple stands a chance in a competitive market place, of all places, at Wal-Mart?

Keep on dreaming...





P.S.: If you didn't catch my hint, Ben Reitzes doesn't know what he's talking about. Hopefully, Ben Reitzes is the laughing stock of analysts.


I can see it happening because most consumers, despite MS's new Ads, don't know anything about the specs you just mentioned, and would rather get something simple, that works, and looks pretty in the kitchen, or living room.
post #82 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

well over here on the west coast, the about 90% of the people i see in walmart are either crackheads or people that really have no business owening a computer because if their 13 children wont have food for months. i live in oregon and its really that bad here. so your interpretation of who shops at walmart in incorrect.
and second, the people who work in the electronics are complete idiots. i have tried getting help from them but it is useless. apple would have no other choice but to put their own employees in the store otherwise apple would fail. i personally think apple should keep what they are doing. putting macs in a wal-mart is a bad idea. and also, they would go through so many display computers it wouldn't be worth it. i have seen kids put the wii mote in their mouths and throw it around while the parents don't even pay attention. i would hate to see people abuse apple products like that.

Oh, yes, I lay awake at night worrying about people abusing Apple products. Thanks for that in depth analysis of Walmart customers. I too, waste my life worrying about who actually owns Apple products. Please note the acid smell of sarcasm. It is NOYB what people buy or where they buy it.
post #83 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

How did this become a class issue? It has nothing to do with a particular consumer's class level--not to mention, my boss just dropped $1500 for a 52" flat screen at Wal-mart, and he's hardly poor, a redneck, or perceived as 'lesser than.' My Wal-mart is kinda nice.

The issue here is that a lot of retailers have a 'set and forget it' approach to merchandising. If Apple creates self-sustainable displays then Macs can sell themselves; however, it they are expecting the average Wal-mart employee to be able to explain the difference between a Mac and a PC they we're back in 1998.

Its a class issue because a subset of Mac users are not here for the computer or the operating system, they're here because owning an Apple product makes them feel exclusive/special/better than everyone else. The company and platform thriving is a threat to that.
post #84 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in eight years. It truly is "redneck central", and not somewhere Apple computers need to be sold.

I shop at Wal-Mart. I am an environmentalist and an independent in terms of politics but with a socialist-leaning philosophy 80% of the time. But I shop at Wal-Mart. Why? Because I am poor. OK lower middle class. After federal taxes, I am close to the poverty line. I am fine with that.

Nevertheless, what do I buy at Wal-Mart? Frequently, brand name stuff. High end or middle of the road stuff. Nobody messes with Wal-Mart. It negotiates the best prices, and usually but not always passes them on to consumers at least in part. Of course you have to be smart, it is fascinating how not everything on any given day will be cheaper at Wal-Mart, but again, many times it is. Thus, I would not be surprised if they chipped 10 or 20 bucks off some Mac or iPod models. Apple would probably only have to sell them for a few bucks less, but Wal-Mart's economy of scale would do the rest. Why do people shop at Wal-Mart? To save that 10 bucks. Because when you are poor or middle-class, 10 bucks is, well, 10 bucks. It's something.

Will Wal-Mart diminish Apple's "brand", which certainly helps it charge what it does and have high and industry-leading profit margins? Perhaps. Maybe that is why Apple won't sell Macs at Wal-Mart. But if it does, that's probably where I'll get my next Mac. Probably a lot of other folks, too. Either way, I'm sure AAPL is on its way up and up.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #85 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Still doesn't change the fact netbooks are junk.

I disagree. I use mine much more than my MacBook. It's small, light, and cool running on my lap.

Netbooks are a perfect option between practically-useless-for-the-web smart phones, and much more expensive and heavy notebook computers. Low end Macs might do well at Wal-Mart but netbooks will continue to enjoy phenomenal growth as more people discover how useful netbooks are for what they do most; web surfing and email.
post #86 of 168
[QUOTE=Mr.Scott;1418816]There is no "mythical perception". Walk into one and tell me you truly see the class of people that visit an Apple Store is the same. QUOTE]

You need to realize the ambience of an Apple Store with its fine wood, slate, steel and glass has much to do with the "mythical perception" of those customers "appearing" rich... It's like a beautiful hotel, a person automatically becomes "classy" when surrounded by fine quality materials. Take 80 people from an Apple Store and put them in a Walmart, and your "mythical perception" will peg them as poor... it's how surroundings affect perception.
post #87 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

does this mean there will be a redneck version of the iMac coming so the rednecks can feel superior now? the rMac? so

someone needs to dig up that old screenshot of the redneck version of windows


i bet these are the rumors of the cheaper Macs. Apple is going to make a box with entry level LCD or whatever screens they use like Dell does on it's entry level systems.

Fergie from the Fugee's is a Mac user but stars (without face shot) for HP commercial, And Brad Paisly (country singer) was on-scene at a Mac store opening and praising them. Shania, Mac user. Alan Jack, MAC user. Jimmy Buffett - mac user.... And the list goes on and on... BTW: Jimmy's Far side of the world video (on the CD) shows him using a PB 12" in Africa.

Rumor has it a 15.6" iMac WAS, REPEAT WAS, in the works using the Mini guts. With the small tethered board and new AL mouse retailed for $699 wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course the Mini get's the bump to 2.26/2.66 first leaving this at 2.0/1gb/160gb... Mini bump I heard is with SL, 2.26/2gb/250gb and 2.66/2gb/320gb pricing dropping to $549/$649 in line with Intel's drop on that CPU.

Should be a good summer.... Not all rednecks shop walmart. I say do it. But I see a problem in turnover of emp's at Walmarts seeing as Apple will want them to be trained much like the BB folks (Apple Certified Service Rep).
post #88 of 168
[QUOTE=OS11;1419060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

There is no "mythical perception". Walk into one and tell me you truly see the class of people that visit an Apple Store is the same. QUOTE]

You need to realize the ambience of an Apple Store with its fine wood, slate, steel and glass has much to do with the "mythical perception" of those customers "appearing" rich... It's like a beautiful hotel, a person automatically becomes "classy" when surrounded by fine quality materials. Take 80 people from an Apple Store and put them in a Walmart, and your "mythical perception" will peg them as poor... it's how surroundings affect perception.

Yes, and there's a technical term for that as well in both Marketing and Physc.
post #89 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know what you're getting upset about, just read what you wrote.

Sigh. No, you thought the "tone" was the important thing. I tend to go with what people actually say.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #90 of 168
Let me summarize what a retailer needs to do in the vast majority of cases in order to sell a Mac or related Apple product: present the customer with a box in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure this can be handled at any Walmart location. One of the main selling points of a Mac (or iPod, AppleTV, etc) is that it just works without any need for extensive hand holding. There are still many places (like Tucson) where the only Apple Store is a long drive away and the purchaser just wants to exchange money for a box. Walmart can fulfill this function at least as well as Best Buy.
post #91 of 168
This could be a good thing for consumers. Walmart does not play that "you cannot sell for less" game. If they want it to be less expensive, they usually get their way.
post #92 of 168
Face it: Wal Mart is America's retailer. They have stores everywhere. If the store is in a less affluent area, the customers are going to be what some of you snobs are calling rednecks. If the store is in an upscale neighborhood, the customers are going to be more affluent.

In my zip code, the average adjusted gross income is $115,574 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit). Just for comparison, AGI in the zip codes for Mountain View, CA are $79,684 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit) and $108,836 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit). All of the Wal Marts in my area are nice. As hard as it is for some of you to believe, Macs would be right at home there.

There are only two Apple stores in my state. As it happens, one of them is 20 minutes from my house. There are several Best Buys in the area also that sell Macs. But if Macs are selling at Wal Mart and they have a better price (and especially if they have Wal Mart's typically generous return policy) I am going to buy my next Mac at Wal Mart. And probably so are a lot of other people, which is why Apple is doing this--it's just good business.
post #93 of 168
I apologize if someone has already written about this, but the Pre apparently is going to launch at select WalMart stores. Interesting this wasn't mentioned in this article. Best Buy apparently will launch it also. I love healthy competition. The Pre in my opinion is pretty ugly and the OS interface is not very polished/intuitive. I see a huge Pre FAIL in light of reasonable rumors of what is to come from iPhone 3.0
post #94 of 168
A few months ago I visited my local Best Buy store to check out the macs. The mac table was deserted of customers and sales staff. As usual.

I sat down at a macbook pro and found that a screen saver password was put on it. This struck me as very odd for a retail store. Looking around and seeing no sales staff, I tried a few simple words like apple, mac and bestbuy, but nothing worked. I got up, walked around and finally located a sales guy.

I told him about the screensaver password and asked him what it was. He said he didn't know for sure but after a few tries he finally got it right. I asked him why they put a password on the computers and he said he didn't know why. He said sorry and walked away.

Hmmmm... Great way to sell more macs, I thought.

If Wal-Mart sells macs, could they do much worse?
Anthracite
Reply
Anthracite
Reply
post #95 of 168
Why does AppleInsider have a link titled "$554 OSX Leopard Computer
As Seen on C-Net, The Open Computer With OS X Leopard As Low As $554" that goes to Psystar at:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/a..._open_computer

???????????????????
post #96 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Why does AppleInsider have a link titled "$554 OSX Leopard Computer
As Seen on C-Net, The Open Computer With OS X Leopard As Low As $554" that goes to Psystar at:

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/a..._open_computer

???????????????????

Its not Spam, its Psystar paying for ad time with Google that are being pushed to AI because of the site content. This is legitimate business.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #97 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Oh, yes, I lay awake at night worrying about people abusing Apple products. Thanks for that in depth analysis of Walmart customers. I too, waste my life worrying about who actually owns Apple products. Please note the acid smell of sarcasm. It is NOYB what people buy or where they buy it.

*golf clap*
post #98 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Hey fanboy- people have been saying the same thing about Windows for 25 years and what's its market share?

have you noticed that you keep tossing the 'fanboy' word into every thread you post on? do you get paid extra for that?
post #99 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Sigh. No, you thought the "tone" was the important thing. I tend to go with what people actually say.

You're being very obstinate about your own words.

Ok, so you stated a negative proposition about the concept of Apple selling in Wal-Mart. Better?
post #100 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

have you noticed that you keep tossing the 'fanboy' word into every thread you post on? do you get paid extra for that?

Yes. We pay him a dollar for every time he uses the word.
post #101 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10711 View Post

Face it: Wal Mart is America's retailer. They have stores everywhere. If the store is in a less affluent area, the customers are going to be what some of you snobs are calling rednecks. If the store is in an upscale neighborhood, the customers are going to be more affluent.

In my zip code, the average adjusted gross income is $115,574 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit). Just for comparison, AGI in the zip codes for Mountain View, CA are $79,684 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit) and $108,836 (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/T...&Submit=Submit). All of the Wal Marts in my area are nice. As hard as it is for some of you to believe, Macs would be right at home there.

There are only two Apple stores in my state. As it happens, one of them is 20 minutes from my house. There are several Best Buys in the area also that sell Macs. But if Macs are selling at Wal Mart and they have a better price (and especially if they have Wal Mart's typically generous return policy) I am going to buy my next Mac at Wal Mart. And probably so are a lot of other people, which is why Apple is doing this--it's just good business.

that is what i was talking about in my post. i live in oregon. the wal-marts here are trashy. and the employees are worthless in the electronics department. you can't ask them any questions because they just don't know. i have been to the california wal-marts before. they are completely different than the wal-marts where i live. i have talked to lots of people that are considerably poorer than most. they will go for the budget PC because thats all they care about. the price! i can explain to people here till i am blue in the face and they always bring up the price as the main argument. i hate to say it but the "Im a PC" ads unfortunately work. i was a little harsh in my first post, my bad. however i will stick to my original thinking of wal-mart shouldn't let people try them out. if they do they should at least keep them in a display case like the ipods.
post #102 of 168
I feel dirty
post #103 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotkirby View Post

I'm an AT&T employee, and this just suprizes me due to the fact that Wal-Marts iPhone sales are just not cutting it, says our region director.

Plus, are you really gonna buy a mac from somewhere that really has no idea about them?

You sir, are no better as an AT&T employee. How did you get that job since you don't know how to spell the word surprises? Have you been to an Apple Store lately? Their "Geniuses" are fucking retards. I listened to one as he pushed AppleCare on an iPod Nano purchase by telling the customer they needed it because the hard drive inside might fail.
post #104 of 168
I hope that all of the people here that bash Wal Mart claiming that the store is for redneck poor people, lose their jobs and end up unemployed! Then they may realize the value of Wal Mart. Since most of you bash Wal Mart and would never step foot in one, how the hell would you know what Wal Mart is like? I have never heard of such bullshit as Apple and their "high-end exclusive" customer? Only poor people shop at Wal Mart? If that is the case, then most of you are idiots wasting your money thinking that spending "top dollar" makes you cool when you buy a product.

Do you think Amazon.com is for poor people? They sell Macs for less than an Apple Store, and you can save money without paying sales tax. They also offer free shipping too. I am willing to bet when you people buy an Apple product, you try to get the best deal possible. How many of you take advantage of Apple's Refurbished Store? How cool are you when you tell your friends you bought a refurb because you didn't want to pay full price for a "new" Mac. Most of you complain that Apple needs to make a low cost mid-tower because you can't afford a Mac Pro! If you are their "high-end exclusive" customer, then slap down the big bucks for a Mac Pro and shut up. Bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe you should go Wal Mart and look at the people that do shop there. Look at the cars in the parking lot. Maybe check out the food prices and you might realize that your supermarket is raping you and you don't even know it. Why should I spend $2.50 for a 2 liter bottle of Diet A&W when Wal Mart sells it for $1.25? Why should I buy name brand foods or medicines when the generics are exactly the same, but far less expensive. How is Target better than Wal Mart? How about Costco? People shop there for low prices too. So are they considered redneck and poor? The Good Guys and Circuit City used to be the "high-end" stereo shop because their employees were commissioned-based and that is where people went for consumer electronics. That was their image. Now where are those stores today?

I used to be a person that shopped at Vons and bought brand-named foods. Thanks to the economy, my job was yanked from me. So I went from making good money, to no money. You learn very quickly on how to save money, and where to save money. No one cares if you bought anything at Wal Mart. The people that shop there are smart families saving money, and they drive nice cars too. I could not believe how much money I was wasting at a Supermarket! Will I go back to my old shopping habits after I get a new job? Nope. It is a store, just like any other. Who cares if it says Wal Mart on the building?

For those of you that didn't have a clue...Apple modeled their retail store after The Gap! Most of the Apple Stores acquired in malls were former Gap stores so they wouldn't have to spend a lot of money remodeling. So the "high-end exclusive" Apple Store you shop in, was nothing more than a Gap store.
post #105 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I hope that all of the people here that bash Wal Mart claiming that the store is for redneck poor people, lose their jobs and end up unemployed! Then they may realize the value of Wal Mart. Since most of you bash Wal Mart and would never step foot in one, how the hell would you know what Wal Mart is like? I have never heard of such bullshit as Apple and their "high-end exclusive" customer? Only poor people shop at Wal Mart? If that is the case, then most of you are idiots wasting your money thinking that spending "top dollar" makes you cool when you buy a product.

Do you think Amazon.com is for poor people? They sell Macs for less than an Apple Store, and you can save money without paying sales tax. They also offer free shipping too. I am willing to bet when you people buy an Apple product, you try to get the best deal possible. How many of you take advantage of Apple's Refurbished Store? How cool are you when you tell your friends you bought a refurb because you didn't want to pay full price for a "new" Mac. Most of you complain that Apple needs to make a low cost mid-tower because you can't afford a Mac Pro! If you are their "high-end exclusive" customer, then slap down the big bucks for a Mac Pro and shut up. Bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe you should go Wal Mart and look at the people that do shop there. Look at the cars in the parking lot. Maybe check out the food prices and you might realize that your supermarket is raping you and you don't even know it. Why should I spend $2.50 for a 2 liter bottle of Diet A&W when Wal Mart sells it for $1.25? Why should I buy name brand foods or medicines when the generics are exactly the same, but far less expensive. How is Target better than Wal Mart? How about Costco? People shop there for low prices too. So are they considered redneck and poor?

I used to be a person that shopped at Vons and bought brand-named foods. Thanks to the economy, my job was yanked from me. So I went from making good money, to no money. You learn very quickly on how to save money, and where to save money. No one cares if you bought anything at Wal Mart. The people that shop there are smart families saving money, and they drive nice cars too. I could not believe how much money I was wasting at a Supermarket! Will I go back to my old shopping habits after I get a new job? Nope. It is a store, just like any other. Who cares if it says Wal Mart on the building?

Bravo!

Those are very good points!
post #106 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes. We pay him a dollar for every time he uses the word.

Pay up.
post #107 of 168
Yikes. You know, some of us resisted these inane characterizations of Wal-Mart customers. Some of us think the biggest barrier to Apple selling in Wal-Mart is the very different styles of retailing used by the two companies, which would have to be resolved before a major Apple presence in Wal-Mart would make much sense. I realize it's annoying to hear people expound at length on their worst prejudices, but it's equally annoying to have serious discussion brushed aside in favor of pointless bickering about them.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #108 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yikes. You know, some of us resisted these inane characterizations of Wal-Mart customers. Some of us think the biggest barrier to Apple selling in Wal-Mart is the very different styles of retailing used by the two companies, which would have to be resolved before a major Apple presence in Wal-Mart would make much sense. I realize it's annoying to hear people expound at length on their worst prejudices, but it's equally annoying to have serious discussion brushed aside in favor of pointless bickering about them.

I agree with that. We don't have to think the same way about this, though we can state why.
post #109 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I disagree. I use mine much more than my MacBook. It's small, light, and cool running on my lap.

Netbooks are a perfect option between practically-useless-for-the-web smart phones, and much more expensive and heavy notebook computers. Low end Macs might do well at Wal-Mart but netbooks will continue to enjoy phenomenal growth as more people discover how useful netbooks are for what they do most; web surfing and email.

Yeah, right. My iPhone fits in my pocket, can you do that with your Netbook? Or do you put your Netbook in your Male-Purse? My iPhone works great for the web, so I guess you don't own one, and have never used one. Which will last longer? Your cheaply made Netbook, or your MacBook? I saw two Netbooks at Target...they were cheap pieces of garbage that look like they would break in 6 months. One of them was the #1 Netbook too!
post #110 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in eight years. It truly is "redneck central", and not somewhere Apple computers need to be sold.

Wow. Eight years. I see your research is based on current evidence. Maybe where you live is redneck central. I am glad you are wasting your money at other stores. Keep up the good work.
post #111 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsway View Post

Soon as I saw the headline Wal-Mart may carry Apple computers, I was waiting for all the condescending comments about Wal-Mart and its customers. This is so arrogant, frustrating and unnecessary. As long as Apples quality remains high, it should not matter if their products are sold at Wal-Mart. Apple should not try to only cater to snobs, but gain as much market share as possible. Ive been an Apple fan for years and feel this type of junior high discussion alienates a lot of potential new Apple customers.

I think you're missing the point. When you buy Apple, you're not just buying the box. You're buying the knowledge and service (Apple experts, etc.) with it. One of the reasons why Apple opened its own stores is because they were unhappy with the way that Macs were sold within other retail environments and the stores they were unhappy with do a far better job than WalMart does.

People who shop in WalMart are looking for the lowest possible prices on relatively low-end merchandise (even if low prices are not actually the reality of WalMart, just the perception.) Personally, I don't think Mac belongs in there at all, but if it is going to be there, it should only be done via a "store within a store" concept with Apple, not Wal-Mart employees, selling and supporting the products. But again, I'd prefer not to see the products there at all because I think it will damage Apple's reputation in the long run.
post #112 of 168
I went into my Wal-mart yesterday evening. No Apple products can be physically touched--not even iPod accessories. Right by Griffin, Belkin, and other items is a photo/card of the Apple version with instructions to take it to the electronics counter to purchase. iPods could never be touched, and the iPhone is now behind a thick piece of plastic too. If Macs do end up in Wal-mart, it appears that Apple has learned from past transgressions.
post #113 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I went into my Wal-mart yesterday evening. No Apple products can be physically touched--not even iPod accessories. Right by Griffin, Belkin, and other items is a photo/card of the Apple version with instructions to take it to the electronics counter to purchase. iPods could never be touched, and the iPhone is now behind a thick piece of plastic too. If Macs do end up in Wal-mart, it appears that Apple has learned from past transgressions.

Wait -- are you saying this is the solution?

When I started looking for my first iPod years ago, I went into a Best Buy store with the hope/expectation that I'd be able to get my hands on one. You know, to see it? Feel it? Try it? They had iPods to sell, but only in boxes in a locked cage, which Mr. Sales Associate did not volunteer to open. I walked out of there pronto.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #114 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Wait -- are you saying this is the solution?

When I started looking for my first iPod years ago, I went into a Best Buy store with the hope/expectation that I'd be able to get my hands on one. You know, to see it? Feel it? Try it? They had iPods to sell, but only in boxes in a locked cage, which Mr. Sales Associate did not volunteer to open. I walked out of there pronto.

Yeah, I was a little confused by that too. Maybe he meant Apple has NOT learned from past transgressions.
post #115 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Yeah, I was a little confused by that too. Maybe he meant Apple has NOT learned from past transgressions.

I thought some here said that people do their research online, and that retailers just have to hand them a box. The 'yea' team needs to be consistent in their argument. If all you need is a box handed to you--because you're an 'educated consumer' and you've done your research online--then, what's the problem?

iPods, Nintendo Wiis, and XBoxes sell just fine being protected behind the glass. They all have learned from past transgressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

When I started looking for my first iPod years ago, I went into a Best Buy store with the hope/expectation that I'd be able to get my hands on one. You know, to see it? Feel it? Try it? They had iPods to sell, but only in boxes in a locked cage, which Mr. Sales Associate did not volunteer to open. I walked out of there pronto.

I bought mine online after doing research.
post #116 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I thought some here said that people do their research online, and that retailers just have to hand them a box. The 'yea' team needs to be consistent in their argument. If all you need is a box handed to you--because you're an 'educated consumer' and you've done your research online--then, what's the problem?

iPods, Nintendo Wiis, and XBoxes sell just fine being protected behind the glass. They all have learned from past transgressions.

I'm not sure what the "yea team" is, so I'm not sure if I'm on it -- but I don't think most consumers are happy to just have a box handed to them. If that was the case then Apple would have been more successful in the past selling in the mass market retail stores, and would not have felt the need to open their own company stores.

Quote:
I bought mine online after doing research.

In the end so did I, but I was already primed for the purchase. I believe we can attribute much of Apple's recent success to giving consumers a better hands-on retail experience.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #117 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

I truly hope this does not come to pass. No offense too the folks that shop at Wal-Mart, but this is not an image that Apple needs to be associated with. Target, maybe but Wal-Mart is no place for a computer that most people who shop there (and I stress most) can not afford. I believe in getting the best product(s) to all walks of life, but this is just the road Apple does not need to take with their computers.

S

Personally, I think Apple is one if not the best run company in the world at this time. If their management team deems Wal-Mart a worthy distribution point, I will trust they have done all their research and have a solid plan for making the experience a positive one for both Apple and Wal-Mart. I know Apple appreciates your patronage Mr S but if image is your concern then I suspect you missed the true quality of Apple's current success which is substance. Yes, they are masters of image and have been for the history of the company but now they back that image up with the best products and services available. Even us poor backward folks that shop at Wal-Mart for the value and convenience deserve the Apple brand. Do you want all the Apple computers removed from the inter-city schools because that demographic is inferior to your projected image? Last but not least, you might be extremely surprise at the demographic profile of the Wal-Mart electronic shopper!
post #118 of 168
Apparently quite a number of people seem to be more worried about their own image than they are about Apple's image. They don't want to been seen owning products that are sold where the trailer trash shops. Some days I feel like I need to take a long, hot shower after reading this stuff.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #119 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm not sure what the "yea team" is, so I'm not sure if I'm on it -- but I don't think most consumers are happy to just have a box handed to them. If that was the case then Apple would have been more successful in the past selling in the mass market retail stores, and would not have felt the need to open their own company stores.



In the end so did I, but I was already primed for the purchase. I believe we can attribute much of Apple's recent success to giving consumers a better hands-on retail experience.

And I think this speaks to the point being made that Walmart (without having to go into any demographic name calling) may not be a great fit for what Apple is selling, as it stands now (which is not to say that Apple hasn't negotiated some kind of advantageous exception, although that goes against everything I know about Walmart).

That is to say, the "hand over the box" model is great if you're selling commodity goods for as little as possible. As even Walmart's defenders acknowledge, that's pretty much the point. You don't go to Walmart for the "experience", you go there to buy stuff you need, cheaply as possible. In fact, that's why I generally don't go there-- the grim vibe of necessity is just depressing to me. Even the (only slightly more expensive) Target seems like some kind of luxury boutique, in comparison.

But Apple very much is selling "an experience." You can take potshots at them all you like if that strikes you as "elitist" or "shallow" or whatever, but that's the deal and it seems to be working pretty well. The entire reason Apple launched their own retail outlets was because mass marketers where failing to "tell the story" of the "Apple experience."

And it's important that that story get told, because if it's simply a matter of buying the cheapest available example of the genre, Apple always loses. They need a chance to make their case for why you might want to spend a bit more, but Walmart, by design, seriously mitigates against that case, with every fiber of its being.

As I say, maybe they'll work something out so that an "Apple zone" manages to seem more Apple than Walmart, but the "cheap is better" force field is simply part of the place's DNA, so it doesn't seem promising.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #120 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yeah, right. My iPhone fits in my pocket, can you do that with your Netbook? Or do you put your Netbook in your Male-Purse? My iPhone works great for the web, so I guess you don't own one, and have never used one.

Correct, but I do own an iPod touch. I used it for about a month before I got tired of trying to surf the web on a two inch screen and type with one finger. It's still a decent iPod music player though.
Quote:
Which will last longer? Your cheaply made Netbook, or your MacBook?

My netbook, because I'll probably sell the MacBook. The MacBook does nothing I need to do on a portable computer that my netbook can't do.
Quote:
I saw two Netbooks at Target...they were cheap pieces of garbage that look like they would break in 6 months. One of them was the #1 Netbook too!

Since you're not aware, you should know that not all netbooks are the same. You seem to think they're all crap after having seen two.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wal-Mart's new Apple section seen as precursor to Mac sales