or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › More of Apple's Snow Leopard caught on camera

More of Apple's Snow Leopard caught on camera - Page 2

post #41 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Guys... do you think Apple would start changing the look of apps randomly?

This doesn't strike me as a random change. In fact, it seems very logical to have the UI elements of a video window fade away during playback (or screen capturing, which QTX will gain in Snow Leopard).
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #42 of 69
I undersand that all members of the elite fraturnity of WWDC cant discuss leopard, but if there is one out there willing to break that rule, I would love to know the one thing that these videos really do not show: is it faster? did all the code tweaks make a killer difference? a $129 difference?

I must say, from the videos and the blurbs on apple.com, I owuldnt pay more than $20 for it...what is there that makes it worth it?
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #43 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Guys... do you think Apple would start changing the look of apps randomly?

I guess (and hope) this is part of the new UI look...

They would not be 'starting' to do this. They randomly changed the Finder to brushed metal in Panther; randomly changed Mail and a few others to something in-between and inconsistent in Panther; randomly changed the scrollbars in iTunes and then a few other iApps; just randomly changed Safari to a brand new ugly-tabs-on-top interface; randomly completely changed the Dock in Leopard.

Personally I was more hoping that they had gotten over it, but instead maybe it's just starting all over again.
post #44 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

They would not be 'starting' to do this. They randomly changed the Finder to brushed metal in Panther; randomly changed Mail and a few others to something in-between and inconsistent in Panther; randomly changed the scrollbars in iTunes and then a few other iApps; just randomly changed Safari to a brand new ugly-tabs-on-top interface; randomly completely changed the Dock in Leopard.

Personally I was more hoping that they had gotten over it, but instead maybe it's just starting all over again.

That has been a long standing annoying habit for a company that prides itself on the little details and uniformity of how the OS functions. Its purely superficial but it would be nice to have it consistent.

I think that this new WTX look is very similar to the way the OS will look come next month. With their Mac displays almost all having a glass display with a nice black rim I think the screen will look quite stylish with this new border and richer icons for the Dock.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 69
Quote:

It's possible it may be starting all over again but it is hard for me to believe that you would be redesigning an OS and the first major redesign of an app is to make it look out of place. I would think  is better than that. I wouldn't expect black all over the place but enough to darken the theme up a little to match ilife and the new hardware.
post #46 of 69
Good point about the black matching the black rims on the new Macs.

Interestingly, wasn't QuickTime the first thing to break the mould and go all ugly and brushed metal back in OS 9, followed by the release of iTunes?
post #47 of 69
Quote:

Good point about the black matching the black rims on the new Macs.

Interestingly, wasn't QuickTime the first thing to break the mould and go all ugly and brushed metal back in OS 9, followed by the release of iTunes?

Except that the aluminum iMacs with black-rimmed displays debuted with Tiger. When Leopard shipped later on, it mimicked those iMacs.

I'm not saying Apple couldn't still do it, but that aforementioned logic doesn't seem to work.

Here's basically what such a change might look like:

You can produce it yourself with command-option-ctrl-8.

I wouldn't hold your breath for title bars to go the QuickTime X route though, as most have buttons right beneath them. Coloring the top of the window black or the whole thing black would look pretty garish (and Windows Media Player 11ish).

But I have to say, I'm not totally against the inverted Menu Bar. It would match the iPhone's Menu Bar:

post #48 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Except that the aluminum iMacs with black-rimmed displays debuted with Tiger. When Leopard shipped later on, it mimicked those iMacs.

I'm not saying Apple couldn't still do it, but that aforementioned logic doesn't seem to work.

I wouldn't hold your breath for title bars to go the QuickTime X route though, as most have buttons right beneath them. Coloring the top of the window black or the whole thing black would look pretty garish (and Windows Media Player 11ish).

But I have to say, I'm not totally against the inverted Menu Bar. It would match the iPhone's Menu Bar:

I would only want the menu bar also otherwise it would be overdone.
post #49 of 69
Quote:

I think you're right. I would like to see a deeper GUI interface overlap between OS X and iPhone OS X. That means more black glass and black bars. I hope the aqua bars go away for the translucent black scroll bars on the iPhone.
post #50 of 69
i really hope the entire OS theme gets switched to match QT. looks great and fits better with everything from apple recently.
Mac Pro 2008
2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
8GBs 800mhz RAM
160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD
300GB WD VelociRaptor
EVGA GTX 285
iPhone 4 32GB
YouTube
Twitter
Mac Pro 2008
2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
8GBs 800mhz RAM
160GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD
300GB WD VelociRaptor
EVGA GTX 285
iPhone 4 32GB
YouTube
Twitter
post #51 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MShock View Post

I think you're right. I would like to see a deeper GUI interface overlap between OS X and iPhone OS X. That means more black glass and black bars. I hope the aqua bars go away for the translucent black scroll bars on the iPhone.

At the very least I want iTunes matte scroll bars, but yes, the iPhone's disappearing scroll bars would be ideal. They've already been implemented into Snow Leopard's new handling of Stacks navigation, so at least there's a precedent, right?

What's interesting is that the iPhone now has Aqua-like elements, namely in MobileSafari, which has Safari 3's inline loading bar. Perhaps Apple will develop a new way to show loading other than Safari 4's spinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeister92 View Post

i really hope the entire OS theme gets switched to match QT. looks great and fits better with everything from apple recently.

But how many applications have simple title bars like QuickTime? Most have button bars right below them. I don't see SL going the Vista-black-Areo "Look Ma! Transparent EVERYTHING!" interface. Most changes to Mac OS X's UI are gradual and subtle. Apple hasn't been moving towards black title bars, they've been moving toward subdued title+button bars.

To suddenly paint all app title+button bars black would be both drastic and it would make the whole Mac experience pretty gloomy. Most iPhone apps don't employ a black theme unless it makes sense: video playing.
post #52 of 69
disappearing scoll bars dissaperead in the latest build. Now it's dark grey plain bar (and not disppearing). I'll post a shot later.

For Safari 4, there is a spinner but check the original thread linked on the article and you'll see that Safari 4 got a "Loading" icone (dark glass blue).
post #53 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseldorm View Post

disappearing scoll bars dissaperead in the latest build. Now it's dark grey plain bar (and not disppearing). I'll post a shot later.

Bah! Well, still looking forward to your screenshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseldorm View Post

For Safari 4, there is a spinner but check the original thread linked on the article and you'll see that Safari 4 got a "Loading" icone (dark glass blue).

I saw that, though it was black glass. Maybe they could make it fill up like a load bar. It would be a nice compromise between spinners and the old Safari 3 loading bar within the web address field.
post #54 of 69
Guys, it's just beta version - I'm more than confident that in the final version
a lot of things will be different in comparison to beta. Like with 10.5.
Believe, Apple has a lot of different schemes,
and have a lot of time to choose the best as default.
post #55 of 69
Apple-branded screen capture appearing on the surface and not in Applications/Utilities is nice feature.
...yawn...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #56 of 69
Any chance that we can use built-in security to block OUTGOING requests as well (a la Little Snitch)?
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #57 of 69
Looks great, particularly the new Image Capture, which was always very clunky IMO.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
post #58 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

I undersand that all members of the elite fraturnity of WWDC cant discuss leopard, but if there is one out there willing to break that rule, I would love to know the one thing that these videos really do not show: is it faster? did all the code tweaks make a killer difference? a $129 difference?

I must say, from the videos and the blurbs on apple.com, I owuldnt pay more than $20 for it...what is there that makes it worth it?

I am not an ADC Select Member, but occasionally sit next to one, and had a quick run through of SL with them the other day.

I can tell you that the entire system (even in the current debug state) is very snappy - especially Finder, which really shows they have re-written in Cocoa.

I think the performance (even running 10.5 apps) is a big selling point - although I am sure an interface change will be on the horizon, as it looks just too similar for the average user to see anything different.

Oh, and the font in Terminal is now anti-aliased... finally

I for one, would upgrade for sure, no 'killer feature' that we can see so far I'll admit, but it is the attention to detail and refinement of an already brilliant OS which makes it worthwhile for me.
post #59 of 69
Sorry, some kind of trolling... What is this?
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/673/46129197.jpg
post #60 of 69
Extra post.
post #61 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Note to people making videos: Leave your crappy songs out of it. Nobody wants to hear them.

Ha. Agreed!
post #62 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFinder View Post

Sorry, some kind of trolling... What is this?
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/673/46129197.jpg

Its quite simple and innocent. Youll notice that its not English, but what looks to be Italian (though with latin being the base for many languages it could be another, I just didnt care to find out exactly). The word Vista was not invented by Microsoft, in english it means a pleasing view, in Italian it simply means View, which is one of the words in most apps Menu Bar.
post #63 of 69
Quote:

So what exactly is fugly then? Unless you consider the way things look in Leopard fugly in general. The only thing that's different is the title bar, so what are you calling ugly?

Leopard's Dock isn't translucent, it's reflective; it may appear translucent as it reflects the desktop picture, but it's not translucent. The blue "running app" indicators aren't translucent either.

Perhaps you've set your Dock to be very small...or you need glasses. At any rate, this may be of some use to you:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...07101815375480

The AppleScripts are great for switching back and forth.

Hey... thanks man, thats much better.
It's not ideal, but it' a huge improvement.
cheers
post #64 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

I am not an ADC Select Member, but occasionally sit next to one, and had a quick run through of SL with them the other day.

I can tell you that the entire system (even in the current debug state) is very snappy - especially Finder, which really shows they have re-written in Cocoa.

I think the performance (even running 10.5 apps) is a big selling point - although I am sure an interface change will be on the horizon, as it looks just too similar for the average user to see anything different.

Oh, and the font in Terminal is now anti-aliased... finally

I for one, would upgrade for sure, no 'killer feature' that we can see so far I'll admit, but it is the attention to detail and refinement of an already brilliant OS which makes it worthwhile for me.

If what you see stays through the gold master, I will be in line at launch...anti-aliased terminal is worth it alone
post #65 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Hey... thanks man, thats much better.
It's not ideal, but it' a huge improvement.
cheers

Not ideal, I agree. Glad to be of service though.
post #66 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Note to people making videos: Leave your crappy songs out of it. Nobody wants to hear them.

I prefer Techno Viking.
post #67 of 69
I thought I had read a rumor that the menu bar was going to be inverted, black with light text this time around, which might match up to the QT modal windows, too.

I'm waiting to see the actual UI and what the benchmarks say about performance. I'm hoping they announce final version at WWDC.
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
post #68 of 69
Quote:

a guy takes the time to post a video about Snow Leopard and gets flamed because he adds an audio track??? WTF!

note to pinheads: volume controls. they work.

Quote:

how much did you pay for an os that checks your spelling as you type? if you don't use it you paid too much. oh wait. the app may have even more features that you don't know about.

seriously. it's way too soon to worry about what you would or owuldnt pay for an os. once it ships there will be plenty of people posting about how lame it is. you can make a more or less informed decision then.

the biggest changes in snow leopard will not be seen by the "naked eye". they'll be under the hood. they may or may not worth any money to you. but i'm in wait and see mode.
post #69 of 69
the title bar in qt doesn't bother me. it would make the titles easier to read.

it doesn't seem likely that apple is trying to make qt match imacs and apple displays. when you go to full screen it doesn't make any difference anyway. it might help blend if you use fit to screen but i never do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › More of Apple's Snow Leopard caught on camera