or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shares of smartphone market jumps more than twofold
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple shares of smartphone market jumps more than twofold

post #1 of 149
Thread Starter 
Apple saw its share of global smartphone market more than double on a year-over-year basis during the first quarter of the year but still has much work to do before catching BlackBerry maker Research in Motion and market leader Nokia.

For the three-month period ending March, Apple's shipments of roughly 3.94 million iPhones garnered a 10.8% share of the worldwide smartphone market, according to data released Wednesday by market research firm Gartner. That was good enough for the Cupertino-based company to maintain its third-place ranking overall with twice the share of HTC, which shipped 1.96 million devices to register a 5.4% share.

Still, Apple trails arch rival Research in Motion (RIM), whose sales of more than 7.23 million BlackBerries helped it achieve nearly 20% market share, and leader Nokia, which sold almost 15 million handsets for a commanding 41.2% share of the market. Fujitsu ranked fifth overall in smartphone shipments, selling nearly 1.39 million devices for 3.8% share.

Gartner said that worldwide mobile phone sales totalled 269.1 million units during the quarter, a 8.6% decrease from the first quarter of 2008. However, the smartphone segment of the market fared much better, surpassing 36.4 million units, a 12.7% increase from the same period last year.

Smartphone sales also represented an increasing slice of the global handset market at 13.5%, up from 11% during the same quarter of 2008. Gartner attributed the growth to the positive performance of both RIM and Apple, which continue to demonstrate that attractive services and applications are instrumental to the success of the integrated devices.

"Much of the smartphone growth during the first quarter of 2009 was driven by touchscreen products, both in midtier and high-end devices," said analyst Roberta Cozza. "Touch for the sake of touch was enough of a driver in the midtier space, but tighter integration with applications and services around music, mobile e-mail, and Internet browsing made the difference at the high end of the market."

Although Apple saw sales jump more than 100%, its 10.8% share of the market isn't the highest its achieved during its short tenure as a smartphone maker. The company actually registered a near 13% share of the market back in the third quarter of 2008, immediately following the launch of its second-generation iPhone.



For the current second quarter of 2009 ending June, Apple's likely to see its share of the market recede slightly as consumers start delaying their handset purchases in anticipation of third-generation iPhones that should arrive by summer. Therefore, a more accurate benchmark of the company's momentum in the mobile space may come during the third quarter of the year when sales of those new handsets can be weighed against figures from the 2008 iPhone 3G launch.
post #2 of 149
I hope it would... Last year at the same time, the United States only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40+ countries and it only doubled is very BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there.

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #3 of 149
How does Apple perform in arena of just touchscreen smartphones?

And, what about Samsung and LG -- one would have thought they'd figure somewhere up there in this list?
post #4 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I hope it would... Last year same time, the US only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40 more countries and it only doubled is BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there.

iPhone and the new iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year.

And market share matters how?
post #5 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How does Apple perform in arena of just touchscreen smartphones?

And, what about Samsung and LG -- on would have thought they'd figure somewhere up there in this list?

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #6 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And market share matters how?

Market Share talks... seems to be very important with every Mac site.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #7 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Market Share talks... seems to be very important with every Mac site.

Market share "talks?" What the heck does that mean?

Equally, my question is how the issue of market share matters to you (and not Mac sites), since you are the one making the claim that "...this is not good for Apple."
post #8 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.

(i) I did not say anything about who invented what - that's pretty irrelevant to the questions I was asking; (ii) If they've sold 20 million each, how come their names didn't even figure in the rankings (or merit a mention)? Just curious.......
post #9 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.

Apparently well enough to give them the #3 spot...
post #10 of 149
Considering that Apple only sells 1 type of iPhone this is pretty good IMO. If Apple were to sell 3 different iPhone models they're marketshare would be much higher. This is exactly what happened with the iPod when Apple expanded that lineup.
post #11 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

... The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass. ... The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there. ... Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed. ...

As usual, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

All sales have cycles like this, it's nothing new that sales generally drop off when the new model is imminent. The key in these things is the management of the supply chain which (in case you didn't know), Apple has won many awards for.

I think I will trust the sales figures coming out of Apple and the analysis of, you know ... the analysts, before I believe the word of some anonymous always-angry teenager who never has a good word to say about Apple and mostly posts illegible junk.

In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #12 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And market share matters how?

Quite right, it doesn't really matter. Rank matters even less, especially when it's in this artificial category called "smart phones." What are the other kind, dumb phones?

What does matter is sales growth, and Apple can continue to grow iPhone shipments by redefining the categories.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #13 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.

Again, you don't know what you're talking about here. Touch-screen portables and phones have been around for many many years. LG wasn't even a company when the first touchscreen mobiles/phones were made.

Apple was the first multi-touch phone. Big difference.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #14 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(i) I did not say anything about who invented what - that's pretty irrelevant to the questions I was asking; (ii) If they've sold 20 million each, how come their names didn't even figure in the rankings (or merit a mention)? Just curious.......

you need to step outside of the box (outside Mac sites) to see what is going on with the rest of the world... There was an article about the success of touch phones with Samsung and LG on engadget and Gizmodo.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #15 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Again, you don't know what you're talking about here. Touch-screen portables and phones have been around for many many years. LG wasn't even a company when the first touchscreen mobiles/phones were made.

Apple was the first multi-touch phone. Big difference.

I was just saying...

I believe Palm was the first lol hahaha
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #16 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Considering that Apple only sells 1 type of iPhone this is pretty good IMO. If Apple were to sell 3 different iPhone models they're marketshare would be much higher. This is exactly what happened with the iPod when Apple expanded that lineup.

It won't happen. Take a walk to an Apple store... They are always booked solid with exchanges for the iPhone 3G.

Can you imagine 3 models? Apple would need a bigger Genius bar just for exchanges. Or they would need to create a new space called... "iPhone Genius Bar" lol
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #17 of 149
Please stop feeding the trolls. Geez, if you can't not swing at a post that consists of "Apple's share doubles...Apple is doomed"...

Frankly, it seems that Apple has positioned itself quite well in another high margin segment of an otherwise commodity market. Apple has no more desire to be Nokia than it does to be Dell or HP.
post #18 of 149
Makes sense. Whenever I'm out anywhere it seems that at least every other person with a phone in there hand has an iPhone. Even my less than technical friend bought one and a month later he had to buy one for his g/f.
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
Reply
[ JUSTIN ]
[ @justin_horn ]
[ @whenwillapple ]
Reply
post #19 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I hope it would... Last year at the same time, the United States only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40+ countries and it only doubled is very BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there.

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.

You read every bit of information in your odd, negative way.

Every phone dies down after some time after release. That's normal. IPhone sales stay higher than others for longer. You might notice that Apple broke the 10% number they said they wanted to reach in smartphone sales. That's pretty good.

You seem to be the only one who has this interpretation of the numbers.
post #20 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I hope it would... Last year at the same time, the United States only sold the iPhone. It should have more than doubled! The fact that the iPhone is in over 40+ countries and it only doubled is very BAD news.

The iPhone is only HOT when released and dies down very fast as the months pass.

The iPhone sells very well on launch and dies from there.

The iPhone and the iPhone 3G are perfect examples. Same thing will happen with the next release. Guaranteed.

This is not good for Apple. The device needs to sell well throughout the year. It doesn't.

Ummm, hello. That applies to any phone!
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #21 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Please stop feeding the trolls. Geez, if you can't not swing at a post that consists of "Apple's share doubles...Apple is doomed"...

Frankly, it seems that Apple has positioned itself quite well in another high margin segment of an otherwise commodity market. Apple has no more desire to be Nokia than it does to be Dell or HP.

could have fooled me. they are trying to get into every market... sell tons of these phones and gain market share. You do this when you are trying to get BIG.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #22 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

It won't happen. Take a walk to an Apple store... They are always booked solid with exchanges for the iPhone 3G.

Can you imagine 3 models? Apple would need a bigger Genius bar just for exchanges. Or they would need to create a new space called... "iPhone Genius Bar" lol

These phantom "exchanges" you're talking about don't support what the numbers say. You seem to be confusing the Storm with the iPhone. Deliberately.

You're making things up just to get attention around here. It's a way of dominating the conversation without saying anything constructive or meaningful. Your dissenting opinion (in and of itself not a problem) offers no exposition or description of anything. And you've been doing that for some time now. At least for as long as I've been around here.

You're the kind of troll that consistently walks the line, just shy of doing anything that will get you banned or your account suspended. You don't actually post opinions, just random comments and one-liners purely for the hits. And you know that this is just the place to do it because it's a dedicated Apple forum, unlike say, Neowin or ars technica, etc.

The real problem is that your motivations are dishonest. The anonymity of the internet allows for an abundance of game-playing and chicanery on forums. Some of those that have little to offer the discussion (and likely little to offer outside of cyberspace, too) tend to take advantage of the situation.

Enjoy your fun. You have every right to continue doing what you're doing because censorship is restrained around here, as it should be. It doesn't, however, mean that you have anyone's attention, much less their respect.

Cheers.
post #23 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.

Which models from those companies had touch before the iPhone?

And I assume you mean multitouch, which is where Apple made a mark?
post #24 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

It won't happen. Take a walk to an Apple store... They are always booked solid with exchanges for the iPhone 3G.

Can you imagine 3 models? Apple would need a bigger Genius bar just for exchanges. Or they would need to create a new space called... "iPhone Genius Bar" lol

That's why Apple is opening more Apple Stores and hiring more phone technicians.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #25 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Market Share talks... seems to be very important with every Mac site.

Marketshare is important to every site, and to the manufacturers as well.

I've noticed some people throwing around Nokia's marketshare, though they quiet down when it's pointed out how much it's dropping.
post #26 of 149
iPhone 3.0 should have been 1.0

Apple has the technology to come out with video/MMS/copy and paste etc etc etc... But they didn't come out with it right away because they want to keep selling the phones years later...

If they came out with all these basic features two years ago, today the iPhone would be boring.

So they got a plan now... But in a few years, Apple will need to reinvent the wheel in order to keep selling iPhones.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #27 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

That's why Apple is opening more Apple Stores and hiring more phone technicians.

to handle all the exchanges for the defect iPhone 3G's
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #28 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I was just saying...

I believe Palm was the first lol hahaha

If you actually knew something, your gloating might be in order, but as usual, you don't.

I've had a Palm Treo 700p for several years. It has no touch screen, which as almost everyone except you knows is capacitive, rather than the resistive screens Palm has always used until the Pre comes out.

Smacking that screen with your nail isn't even close to a "touch" experience.

You've obviously never used one.
post #29 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

could have fooled me. they are trying to get into every market... sell tons of these phones and gain market share. You do this when you are trying to get BIG.

we are trolls because we voice an opinion different than yours? I can voice an opinion that can be negative or positive on Apple. If it is negative, you consider it TROLLING. Guess what?

You are wrong!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #30 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

to handle all the exchanges for the defect iPhone 3G's

Either stop you constant trolling, or leave. At some point, it will be too much.

If you can prove anything you say, do so. Otherwise, stop making junk up to annoy us.
post #31 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

we are trolls because we voice an opinion different than yours? I can voice an opinion that can be negative or positive on Apple. If it is negative, you consider it TROLLING. Guess what?

You are wrong!

No, you're a troll because you make things up. Constantly.
post #32 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Either stop you constant trolling, or leave. At some point, it will be too much.

If you can prove anything you say, do so. Otherwise, stop making junk up to annoy us.

Would you like facts of the defects for the iPhone 3G?

I can give you links and photos... You want some?
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #33 of 149
lol look at all the replies to italiankid.

There's a difference in offering an alternative opinion / view on a subject, and down right trolling for replies to comments that make no sense.
post #34 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Would you like facts of the defects for the iPhone 3G?

I can give you links and photos... You want some?

If you can show that the iPhone has real problems, not just an isolated one here and there, then do so.

The only problem they had was in the very beginning, when some reports of cracks around the connectors were mentioned, but that stopped quite a while ago.

There have been no other real problems reported, other than some minor software glitches.

So if you have links to real problems that are affecting more than a very small number of people, sure put them out.
post #35 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, you're a troll because you make things up. Constantly.

enjoy...

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

these are a few of the example of the problems with the device. I have had problems with each one.

Tons of pages to read... Call me a troll after.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #36 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If you can show that the iPhone has real problems, not just an isolated one here and there, then do so.

The only problem they had was in the very beginning, when some reports of cracks around the connectors were mentioned, but that stopped quite a while ago.

There have been no other real problems reported, other than some minor software glitches.

So if you have links to real problems that are affecting more than a very small number of people, sure put them out.

Apple is well aware of the light leak issues and dust under almost every device. Even the genius reps are well aware of it.

Its the stupid gasket they use holding the glass in place...

Would you like some pics?
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #37 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Apple is well aware of the light leak issues and dust under almost every device. Even the genius reps are well aware of it.

Its the stupid gasket they use holding the glass in place...

Would you like some pics?

My first iPhone never had any of these issues. The iPhone 3G does ;(
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #38 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Would you like facts of the defects for the iPhone 3G?

I can give you links and photos... You want some?

well don't threaten us with your "facts". show us!
post #39 of 149
Seriously, I'm begging.

I don't want to tell ANYONE else how to use this forum, but haven't we all figured out by now that neither italiankid nor teckstud have anything useful to contribute? I believe that's the entire point of the ignore list. There's no way that you're going to use reason or intellect to shift their perceptions at all; much the opposite, in fact, as both of them (and a few others) derive all of their pleasure from coming here and getting us all worked up.

There's a word for people like them: troll. There, I said it!

And the way you deal with trolls is to stop feeding them. Again, I don't want to tell anyone what they can and can't do on AI, esp. since I have neither the authority nor any conceivable right to do so, but won't you please reconsider replying to them? Ask yourself: is there anything at all to be gained from responding to anything italiankid has ever posted? Or teckstud? I'm all about discussion, alternate points of view, etc. I don't want to suppress anyone's opportunity to express their opinion on an open internet forum. But that doesn't mean you have to take this particular bait. Would your life be in any way less enjoyable if you simply ignored them?

I'm very sorry that I've used one of my very infrequent comments to discuss an off-topic matter like this. I'll stop talking now.
post #40 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Samsung and LG came out with touch based phones first. Apple went one step further. In no way, shape or form did Apple invent touch.

Samsung and LG both have sold 20+ million touch phones each in 2 years.

You're right, Apple did not invent touch, but had a touch based device on the market long before either of those companies; the Newton in 1993.

Apple has sold 37 million iPhone OS touch based devices in under two years, not too mention those users have downloaded over a billion applications. So if you want to talk about market penetration with touch devices, Apple is the clear winner over any other company.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple shares of smartphone market jumps more than twofold