or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report - Page 4

post #121 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Agree completely. While it's all way cool and stuff, touchy touchy swipey swipey - it isn't a practical form factor for user input. I have an iPhone and fortunately I don't text much, because typing on it is a pain. People can always tell you have an iPhone because you always mistype the same words.

I suppose if I work in a restaurant and need a tablet to build an order taking system, or work in a hospital and need a medical info collection device an Apple tablet might be just the ticket. But I don't do those things - nor do a majority of computer users. Why would I want a tablet for doing this right here - typing words into some snarky web forum? Or for anything else that requires typing, I.E. most all computer activities.

A Netbook makes more sense even if it done the quality, expensive, Apple way. I would consider it. Apple never has made a real replacement for my 12" Powerbook rev A 867MHz which I am using right now.


i ate at Charlie Palmer's in Vegas a few years ago and the waiters had HP tablets for ordering. they let you use them to look at the menu and the software gave you wine pairing advice. very cool
post #122 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Thank you. That confirms my post ,regardless of benefits. It was iPhone development that most likely pushed Leopard back.
Conspiracy is nonsense.

Yes, his suspicions are confirmations of your post. Moronic logic at its best.
post #123 of 244
I don't understand why so many people are concerned about the timeline.

I don't expect them to ever release a tablet, so 2010 is sooner than never.

However if they do in fact release a 10" touch screen device, then there is a good chance it will be a success. If they do it right of course. I mean if they just release an oversized iPhone then it will flop.

They have good momentum in the mobile space and they have the App Store infrastructure and development framework already in place. I don't see why it would be hard to scale that to a larger format.
post #124 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Agree completely. While it's all way cool and stuff, touchy touchy swipey swipey - it isn't a practical form factor for user input. I have an iPhone and fortunately I don't text much, because typing on it is a pain. People can always tell you have an iPhone because you always mistype the same words..

With the larger screen format a full virtual keyboard might be an option in landscape mode.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #125 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

More importantly, what's the advantage of giving up the keyboard and mouse?

Portability.

The ideal use for these things are things like meetings (notes/reference), school, sitting on the couch and surfing the net, reading books anywhere, gaming on the subway, etc.

On a less practical note there is something almost personal about touch devices. You interact directly with them. There is no intermediary. It's also immediate. Want to do something point directly at it. You don't have to drag your finger repeatedly across a 3x3 inch touch pad.

Also there is the issue of screen real estate. Netbooks are ultraportable (and cheap!) but they aren't really good for a lot of things that an ultraportable device should be good at.
post #126 of 244
When you think of all the popular things in a home/office that have a thin, portable 10-inch form factor - magazines, photo frames, boardgames, mirrors, bulletin boards, etc. - Apple would do well to prepare it with these uses in mind. It's almost the same thing as a computer; but the dimensions, portability and Apple style will make it an ENTIRELY different phenom.
post #127 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

All,

I'm hoping it is a true "notebook" computer. I picture a flat, light, coverless tablet that you could carry around in a leather notebook.

A Kindle with a browser and email perhaps?
Well if it's not until 2010 by chance the Kindle will in itself have those exact same features by then.
post #128 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

You're incorrect. iPhone OS CAN run multiple apps in the background, but it can't run 3rd party apps in the background. The reason for such limitation is not because the OS can't do multi-tasking, but because of battery life and the limited computing power of the iPhone hardware. I'm really amazed how people can't get this right.

For your reference, the iPhone can make calls, download emails (not read), and use Google Maps all at the same time. iPhone's Safari will continue to load web contents in the background if you press the home button before it finishes loading and Safari will actually finish loading the web page in the background if you use an app that doesn't use the internet (such as notes or calendar) afterwards.

I meant, as I specified later, was that you can't view nor perform multiple Apps simultaneous as you can with a laptop/netbook. The OS would at the very least have to be modified to allow this.
It's not simply a matter of screen size as sloppyism said.
post #129 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

WTF- I said it was a great that it's happenening! READ.

"While this is great" is the contingent clause... the primary statement is that (as usual) Apple sucks.
Accept that you have a reputation as a knee-jerk whiner, techstud.
Help is available.
post #130 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think the success of subnotebooks should be taken as evidence that people want a computing device that size. It should be taken as evidence that they want, specifically, smaller and/or cheaper notebooks.

Otherwise, why have so many tablets failed in the past?

Because they ran under Windows (or, ala Newton) were simply ahead of their time.
The time is now right for a well executed tablet.
post #131 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Wow. What are you, the thought police? So what, he was stating an opinion. Nothing like getting skewered and lambasted for speaking your mind...

If you were on this forum longer, you'd understand the annoyance.
post #132 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

I STILL SAY "iBook-Touch".

iPad or iTab.
post #133 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"While this is great" is the contingent clause... the primary statement is that (as usual) Apple sucks.
Accept that you have a reputation as a knee-jerk whiner, techstud.
Help is available.

Before he can get help hell have acknowledge that he has a problem. I have no idea what the frak was does to him but despite the continued efforts to assist him he simply refers to comprehend anything that is written, and these backtracking comments of his that he meant this or meant that are just too much to handle. Hes back on my ignore list and I think hell remain there indefinitely now. I just wish i couldnt see his imbecilic posts in other peoples replies.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #134 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"While this is great" is the contingent clause... the primary statement is that (as usual) Apple sucks.

That is your own interpretation. Never said that about Apple - only stated Macs have been getting the short end of the stick ever since Apple Computer became Apple Inc, an electronics giant, a la Sony. First MP3 players., then phones, then real TVs will follow most likely. While there is nothing wrong with that- a lot of us actually like real, full throttle computers. - still -in 2009! Is that fact so hard for you to comprehend thru all your pathetic paranoia?
post #135 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The time is now right for a well executed tablet.

Well the time right now is 2009 not 2010.
post #136 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzos View Post

@Rok.. Not easy to find the ignore option the first time.. Cheers!

That's two juvenile knobs added to the Ignore Heap (Techdud and Italianbaby).

Might I suggest other posters only do a 'quick reply' (if they really must respond) to the trolls on these boards so that they can be totally ignored.

Thanks Techstud just added to my "ignore" list!
post #137 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

researchers for Piper Jaffray said Thursday

It helps to stop reading right there. Seriously.

Agreed. They have been rarely right and when they are it's usually after someone, usually apple, has already reported it.

The tablet has been promised for years to no effect and the iPhone/Touch is, in essence, the new Newton, so everyone can finally just stop waiting for that.

These analyst constantly attempt to manipulate the stock price of Apple with their false, forced through request, reporting.

I thought we learned and agreed to this already?

Why is this even considered news and why do we keep seeing these on Apple Insider? Why haven't we figured out and just reported what we know is real and comes from sources we knokw have usually, if not always, been correct?
post #138 of 244
Wow. I thought we were all adults. With just what I see on this board, which, IMO, has risen above the "commoners"in it's aggregate IQ, I really have to lament for the future.

There will never be world peace or tolerance when people just let themselves be led by the nose with the words on a message board being the leash......
post #139 of 244
I rarely visit this site anymore because it should be named "Techstud's House of Rants"

I thought I'd come back, and sure enoughit's just about all techstud, all of the time. Get it over with already, Techstudstart your own website (put a hit counter on the home page just for fun).

I'm bored. Out of curiosity, I "did the math."

Up to this post, Techstud's posts comprise a full 25% of this thread. Many of his his posts are successive, 2 and 3 posts in a row. Most of them are personal attacks.

Looks like the digital form of "Look at me! Look at me! Please, please, please, someone, ANYONE, look at me!!!"

Someone is very lonely, and in desperate need of a hug.
post #140 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well the time right now is 2009 not 2010.

The right time is when Apple are convinced they have a product that comprehensively blows the sector away. A product that is a game changer. Whether this is in 6 months or 18 months is really quite irrelevant. My guess would first half 2010.
post #141 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

I rarely visit this site anymore because it should be named "Techstud's House of Rants"

I thought I'd come back, and sure enoughit's just about all techstud, all of the time. Get it over with already, Techstudstart your own website (put a hit counter on the home page just for fun).

I'm bored. Out of curiosity, I "did the math."

Up to this post, Techstud's posts comprise a full 25% of this thread. Many of his his posts are successive, 2 and 3 posts in a row. Most of them are personal attacks.

Looks like the digital form of "Look at me! Look at me! Please, please, please, someone, ANYONE, look at me!!!"

Someone is very lonely, and in desperate need of a hug.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. His first post was an observation, which, if anyone did the research, is unfortunately correct.

He was immediately attacked afterward by a very thins skinned responder, who took offense to his post by virtue that it came from him.

What I have seen is that he has effectively conditioned everyone into this type of response.

Actually it's a pretty interesting study in psychology and sociology and to be honest, I find it even more interesting that the "lab rats" haven't figure it out yet.

I have three cats that exhibit more learning awareness than I see in just this topic on this message board alone, and that's actually pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the side of the underdog, which in this case is teckstud:

He made an apt post and he was attacked for it. He attempted to maintain the high ground and he was still attacked for it.

Timothy Leary did a great experiment in mob mentality. Maybe everyone could learn from it?
post #142 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

I'm hoping it is a true "notebook" computer. I picture a flat, light, coverless tablet that you could carry around in a leather notebook.

Despite all computing advancements, the task of note-taking has yet to make it into the electronic realm. Because it's really hard to make a device that does better than a pad and pencil.

The Newton targeted note-taking as a key application and failed pretty badly.

Things have moved on a little, but neither the hardware or the software exists in a form to compete with a pencil and paper yet.

C.
post #143 of 244
Harleighquinn, did I just correctly read you as saying that TeckStud attempted to maintain the high ground? I have to admit, he's been on my ignore list for months now, but if he really attempted to maintain the high ground then that will be THE FIRST TIME EVER.

Teckstud is a troll. If anyone is a lab rat who hasn't figured it out yet, it's you. Seriously. Check his history. By FAR the vast majority of his comments are either negative comments re: Apple, carefully and deliberately designed to stir up shit, or else are personal attacks that follows up someone's reaction to the shit-stirring. That is the very definition of a troll. Many trolls rationalize their behavior as "social experimentation", but they're the only ones.

I suppose it's possible that he's one of those very few unfortunates who are so socially inept and clueless that he really doesn't understand what a **** he is, but I put the chances of that at about 1 in 10,000. He knows. And you took the bait. I would question whether you were a sock puppet of his (or italiankid's), but neither of them has ever demonstrated a capability for such clear grammar and cogent thought as you've displayed. However, your conclusions are clearly based on incomplete data. HAND!
post #144 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumEntanglement View Post

full ack ...


[EDIT]

here is what it will look like



it will have no buttons on the front, two cameras, one or two buttons on the back, made out of glass, with a chrome frame, the back being out of carbon fibre, as thin as the iPhone, OLED Screen, multi-touch on the front, ....

and is able to track your finger on the back! showing some kind of new cursor on the front, certainly not a mouse cursor.

iPhone OS 4.0, runs multiple iPhone apps side by side,
in addition to a new kind of apps.

Apple only processor and SoC's , (PA-Semi)

... not a computer, not a phone, not a netbook, not a "tablet"

the first of it's kind ever.

And it will be ready when the time is right
and techology allows it, not this year

anyone likes this idea? and the design?
Jon?

I want the 6.5" iPod Touch Square version so that it can rest on top of my other Apple products. The virtual keyboard and pad will work fine at the bottom part of the screen.
Cubist
Reply
Cubist
Reply
post #145 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Harleighquinn, did I just correctly read you as saying that TeckStud attempted to maintain the high ground? I have to admit, he's been on my ignore list for months now, but if he really attempted to maintain the high ground then that will be THE FIRST TIME EVER.

Teckstud is a troll. If anyone is a lab rat who hasn't figured it out yet, it's you. Seriously. Check his history. By FAR the vast majority of his comments are either negative comments re: Apple, carefully and deliberately designed to stir up shit, or else are personal attacks that follows up someone's reaction to the shit-stirring. That is the very definition of a troll. Many trolls rationalize their behavior as "social experimentation", but they're the only ones.

I suppose it's possible that he's one of those very few unfortunates who are so socially inept and clueless that he really doesn't understand what a **** he is, but I put the chances of that at about 1 in 10,000. He knows. And you took the bait. I would question whether you were a sock puppet of his (or italiankid's), but neither of them has ever demonstrated a capability for such clear grammar and cogent thought as you've displayed. However, your conclusions are clearly based on incomplete data. HAND!

Tekstud wrote:

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.


Macexpress responded:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

Tekstud responded:

WTF- I said it was a great that it's happenening! READ.

Macexpress then responded:

Yeah...then READ what you said afterwards! Dipshit!

That is just about 6 posts in on the first page.

I find it baffling that ANYONE can have the gall to maintain any type of moral high ground in this scenario.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."

This is CLASSIC mob mentality.

And I am definitely going to have to take his defense when presented with the type of shallow, knee jerk, adroit response I have just received in this case.

If he is a troll, ignore him.

Right now what I see is a combination of hypocrisy and intolerance.

And how intelligent can anyone call themselves if they took the bait and rose to the occasion?\

This is juvenile and something I would expect from a bunch of prepubescent knee biters on a windows board.

As it stands now, what separates any of you from adulthood and the school yard?

Or even the deep south, for that matter......?
post #146 of 244
why is everyone fighting on a apple web site ???
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #147 of 244
Apple should offer it with an optional detachable keyboard and stand.

Like the Always Innovating Touch Book. I'll be buying one, but need to try it out first.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #148 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Before he can get help hell have acknowledge that he has a problem. I have no idea what the frak was does to him but despite the continued efforts to assist him he simply refers to comprehend anything that is written, and these backtracking comments of his that he meant this or meant that are just too much to handle. Hes back on my ignore list and I think hell remain there indefinitely now. I just wish I couldnt see his imbecilic posts in other peoples replies.

I wondered why all of you engage him so much ?? His flame like tactics are classic poor web behavior. No matter what is said to who or what. He'll continue to jab us in our eyes .

frak ?? Doe's that mean you watch battle-star g.
???

peace
9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #149 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapple View Post

Netbooks are expensive internet browsers, not inexpensive laptops.

Interestingly, my netbook can do a lot more than my old 12" Powerbook G4. It can even play back 720p H.264 video. The PB can't even play back 480p H.264. And the 12" PB was no inexpensive laptop. That's on top of the occasional Dreamweaver, Fireworks and even Photoshop work I do on my "expensive internet browser."

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjingles View Post

Also there is the issue of screen real estate. Netbooks are ultraportable (and cheap!) but they aren't really good for a lot of things that an ultraportable device should be good at.

The article says the Apple device will have the same 7-10" screen as all existing netbooks, so your complaint would apply to that device as well.
post #150 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Tekstud wrote:

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.


Macexpress responded:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

Tekstud responded:

WTF- I said it was a great that it's happenening! READ.

Macexpress then responded:

Yeah...then READ what you said afterwards! Dipshit!

That is just about 6 posts in on the first page.

I find it baffling that ANYONE can have the gall to maintain any type of moral high ground in this scenario.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."

This is CLASSIC mob mentality.

And I am definitely going to have to take his defense when presented with the type of shallow, knee jerk, adroit response I have just received in this case.

If he is a troll, ignore him.

Right now what I see is a combination of hypocrisy and intolerance.

And how intelligent can anyone call themselves if they took the bait and rose to the occasion?\

This is juvenile and something I would expect from a bunch of prepubescent knee biters on a windows board.

As it stands now, what separates any of you from adulthood and the school yard?

Or even the deep south, for that matter......?

Thanks- but you know what -it really doesn't bother me. There is a juvenille contingent on here that attacks anyone and everyone who goes against their fanboy grain. Apple fanboy paranoia or whatever.
My point is the time has been ripe for this 7-11 inch device in the present time or last fall- not 2010. Instead Apple is hell bent on iPhone's 3.0 MMs texting and video and installing compasses in iPhones. But you know what- you can't reason with many on here. They resort to name calling constantly if you try to question anything.
Thanks again.
post #151 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That would have been extremely difficult as the show started in 1966.
But then again what do I know being a troll and all.

the pilot ran in 1964 . it was a great episode .
the sad saga of capt pike . in the pilot you even see real cheap uni forms
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #152 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. His first post was an observation, which, if anyone did the research, is unfortunately correct.

He was immediately attacked afterward by a very thins skinned responder, who took offense to his post by virtue that it came from him.

What I have seen is that he has effectively conditioned everyone into this type of response.

Actually it's a pretty interesting study in psychology and sociology and to be honest, I find it even more interesting that the "lab rats" haven't figure it out yet.

I have three cats that exhibit more learning awareness than I see in just this topic on this message board alone, and that's actually pretty sad.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the side of the underdog, which in this case is teckstud:

He made an apt post and he was attacked for it. He attempted to maintain the high ground and he was still attacked for it.

Timothy Leary did a great experiment in mob mentality. Maybe everyone could learn from it?

His first post was an opinion. Nothing wrong there, but it was as much a 'first shot across the bow' as it was a statement. I'll be the first to say Apple is far from perfect, somethings they do piss me off to no end, and I've posted about it. But a little bit of balance is a good thing. Here's a suggestion, maybe limit to every other 2 or three posts, but 3 in a row? Common. It's the shear number of his posts in almost every thread that turns people away. Mainly, I'd just like to hear from someone else once in while. Sure, the scroll bar on my browser works just fine, but I'd like not to have to use it so dern much in every thread to get past the guy. N'est-ce pas?

Was my post an 'attack' on him?" I guess it's hard to take it any other way. But as I said, this has turned into the Techstud Site, and it is really getting old for many. So if one puts oneself out there to that degree, and in that manner, that oftenone should enjoy the responses that one is obviously seeking.

Show us the "research" you mentioned. It's quite possibly true, but given that Apple has seperate development teams, it's far from a foregone conclusion. I'd be interested to see the data you speak of.

If by "effectively conditioned people to this kind of response," you mean flame baiting is effective, I agree. It's generally a great way to piss people off and get a great many responses.

Although he is 'entertaining' in his own way, I reserve the right to disagree with you that Timothy Leary is a great source for everyone to learn from. Acid was never my thing.

By the way, I have a cat too, she's great company. But three? The thought of all that cat hair floating around . . . well, you have my condolences on that one bud.
post #153 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the pilot ran in 1964 . it was a great episode .
the sad saga of capt pike . in the pilot you even see real cheap uni forms

Oh I thought the pilot was for NBC execs who turned it down - it didn't air until 1966. Oh well- you learn something new every day. Back to topic.
post #154 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post



I find it baffling that ANYONE can have the gall to maintain any type of moral high ground in this scenario.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...."

This is CLASSIC mob mentality.

And I am definitely going to have to take his defense when presented with the type of shallow, knee jerk, adroit response I have just received in this case.

If he is a troll, ignore him.

Right now what I see is a combination of hypocrisy and intolerance.

And how intelligent can anyone call themselves if they took the bait and rose to the occasion?\

This is juvenile and something I would expect from a bunch of prepubescent knee biters on a windows board.

As it stands now, what separates any of you from adulthood and the school yard?

Or even the deep south, for that matter......?

Ah. Now we do get into the personal attacks. First you call us all lab rats (which I'm sure you meant in the nicest possible way) , and now simply being in the deep south is enough to receive the benefit of your personal disdain. Plus, I'm apparently hypocritical, unintelligent (Ha!), intolerant, adroit (how DARE you!), juvenile, and prepubescent in my knee-biting. Lovely. The good news is that the ignore list works on you too, sir. Defend away! Enjoy hijacking threads the same way TS does! I shall do as you so wisely recommend and ignore you, blissfully.

This board isn't about trolls and it isn't about psychology, mob or abnormal. It's about Apple and rumors thereunto. You and I are, on the surface, in agreement about the best way to handle the matter; ignore the trolls. However, while you have appeared as if by magic to defend the most egregious by FAR of offenders in this board, I've posted a very few comments asking people to IGNORE the trolls. And to reconsider replying to them. Which, this comment notwithstanding, is exactly what I will do.
post #155 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh I thought the pilot was for NBC execs who turned it down - it didn't air until 1966. Oh well- you learn something new every day. Back to topic.

the pilot was MADE in 1964
hmm your right.. the pilot first aired on reruns. it is still by far the best episode.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #156 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Harleighquinn, did I just correctly read you as saying that TeckStud attempted to maintain the high ground? I have to admit, he's been on my ignore list for months now, but if he really attempted to maintain the high ground then that will be THE FIRST TIME EVER.

Teckstud is a troll. If anyone is a lab rat who hasn't figured it out yet, it's you. Seriously. Check his history. By FAR the vast majority of his comments are either negative comments re: Apple, carefully and deliberately designed to stir up shit, or else are personal attacks that follows up someone's reaction to the shit-stirring. That is the very definition of a troll. Many trolls rationalize their behavior as "social experimentation", but they're the only ones.

I suppose it's possible that he's one of those very few unfortunates who are so socially inept and clueless that he really doesn't understand what a **** he is, but I put the chances of that at about 1 in 10,000. He knows. And you took the bait. I would question whether you were a sock puppet of his (or italiankid's), but neither of them has ever demonstrated a capability for such clear grammar and cogent thought as you've displayed. However, your conclusions are clearly based on incomplete data. HAND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

His first post was an opinion. Nothing wrong there, but it was as much a 'first shot across the bow' as it was a statement. I'll be the first to say Apple is far from perfect, somethings they do piss me off to no end, and I've posted about it. But a little bit of balance is a good thing. Here's a suggestion, maybe limit to every other 2 or three posts, but 3 in a row? Common. It's the shear number of his posts in almost every thread that turns people away. Mainly, I'd just like to hear from someone else once in while. Sure, the scroll bar on my browser works just fine, but I'd like not to have to use it so dern much in every thread to get past the guy. N'est-ce pas?

Was my post an 'attack' on him?" I guess it's hard to take it any other way. But as I said, this has turned into the Techstud Site, and it is really getting old for many. So if one puts oneself out there to that degree, and in that manner, that oftenone should enjoy the responses that one is obviously seeking.

Show us the "research" you mentioned. It's quite possibly true, but given that Apple has seperate development teams, it's far from a foregone conclusion. I'd be interested to see the data you speak of.

If by "effectively conditioned people to this kind of response," you mean flame baiting is effective, I agree. It's generally a great way to piss people off and get a great many responses.

Although he is 'entertaining' in his own way, I reserve the right to disagree with you that Timothy Leary is a great source for everyone to learn from. Acid was never my thing.

By the way, I have a cat too, she's great company. But three? The thought of all that cat hair floating around . . . well, you have my condolences on that one bud.

Timothy Leary's experiment in mob mentality, Whites against Blacks in a jail type setting, was pre-LSD, at least for him.

My wife and I love our cats, though even I will admit 3 is too much, but we couldn't bear to eliminate any of them either.

One was adopted from the shelter, the other was purchased from friends breeding their siamese (the first is a tortoise shell american short hair: Kameko. The second is a flame point siamese: Shiro, gotten to keep her company. they got along famously the first day with no separation.....)

The third we adopted when we found her, as a 3 month old kitten, abandoned in El Yunque rainforest when visiting family in Puerto Rico on our honeymoon. She is a rag doll, with yellow eyes, and a sweet heart.

The fact is a "shot across the bow" can be ignored in the desire to maintain civility.

He was just outright attacked, with no provocation.

So what if he disagrees with Apple? Last I checked, the last regime withstanding, this was still the United States (FWIW) and we are entitled to opinions.

The issue here is the opinion was directed at no one in particular, but it elicited multiple attacks in his direction.

That is mob mentality when it is picked up by anyone else in earshot, and followed up on in the same vein.

Intelligence is eschewed for acceptance.

Mob Mentality.

As for disagreeing with apple, we have a 2.8 Mghz 24 inch iMac extreme. Guess what? It's better than the windows PCs I had to constantly administrate and repair, but it's not perfect.

We both have iPhones, and my wife complains about hers every single day.

But she also wants a Macbook Air, which I won't let her get. It's already been refreshed once and I'm waiting for the next model, which is inevitable.

I'm not going to google every article, from Apple Insider to Mac World, or even google news to show that the trend at apple lately has seemed to have been more a Amelio style business trend of beating us down with their latest and nearly best selling hot item, which is the iPhone, the iPod Touch, iPods, laptops, and then, finally, OS and desktops, in about that order.

Apple's entire enterprise lineup has seemed to have been fashioned to support the iPhone at this time, and it doesn't take a genius to determine from those offerings that the iPhone is their baby to be coddled until someone within Apple comes up with something to supersede it.

What ever happened to Apple TV?

I will contend his statement was apt, and his statements (Those that were not defending himself from an attack) following were also apt.

We all would do ourselves a service to recognize that truth, and if we have issue with it, let Apple know. If not, the market will define their direction, and right now, that's the iPhone.
post #157 of 244
why is everyone PMSing today? usually the forums are much more civil than this...

i wonder if Phil Schiller will say, "Oh and there's one more thing..." and unveil Steve Jobs +15 lbs?! And let HIM unveil the Netbook. Haha, OK I'm being silly.
post #158 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Timothy Leary's experiment in mob mentality, Whites against Blacks in a jail type setting, was pre-LSD, at least for him.

My wife and I love our cats, though even I will admit 3 is too much, but we couldn't bear to eliminate any of them either.

One was adopted from the shelter, the other was purchased from friends breeding their siamese (the first is a tortoise shell american short hair: Kameko. The second is a flame point siamese: Shiro, gotten to keep her company. they got along famously the first day with no separation.....)

The third we adopted when we found her, as a 3 month old kitten, abandoned in El Yunque rainforest when visiting family in Puerto Rico on our honeymoon. She is a rag doll, with yellow eyes, and a sweet heart.

The fact is a "shot across the bow" can be ignored in the desire to maintain civility.

He was just outright attacked, with no provocation.

So what if he disagrees with Apple? Last I checked, the last regime withstanding, this was still the United States (FWIW) and we are entitled to opinions.

The issue here is the opinion was directed at no one in particular, but it elicited multiple attacks in his direction.

That is mob mentality when it is picked up by anyone else in earshot, and followed up on in the same vein.

Intelligence is eschewed for acceptance.

Mob Mentality.

As for disagreeing with apple, we have a 2.8 Mghz 24 inch iMac extreme. Guess what? It's better than the windows PCs I had to constantly administrate and repair, but it's not perfect.

We both have iPhones, and my wife complains about hers every single day.

But she also wants a Macbook Air, which I won't let her get. It's already been refreshed once and I'm waiting for the next model, which is inevitable.

I'm not going to google every article, from Apple Insider to Mac World, or even google news to show that the trend at apple lately has seemed to have been more a Amelio style business trend of beating us down with their latest and nearly best selling hot item, which is the iPhone, the iPod Touch, iPods, laptops, and then, finally, OS and desktops, in about that order.

Apple's entire enterprise lineup has seemed to have been fashioned to support the iPhone at this time, and it doesn't take a genius to determine from those offerings that the iPhone is their baby to be coddled until someone within Apple comes up with something to supersede it.

What ever happened to Apple TV?

I will contend his statement was apt, and his statements (Those that were not defending himself from an attack) following were also apt.

We all would do ourselves a service to recognize that truth, and if we have issue with it, let Apple know. If not, the market will define their direction, and right now, that's the iPhone.

Oh no- now you've done it. Be afraid, be very afraid! The matrix attack will begin any second now! Their tentacles are poisonous.

Seriuosly - excellent post. My sentiments exactly- and then some.
I've been a proud Mac owner for over 10 years- I just call it like it is.
post #159 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Ah. Now we do get into the personal attacks. First you call us all lab rats (which I'm sure you meant in the nicest possible way) , and now simply being in the deep south is enough to receive the benefit of your personal disdain. Plus, I'm apparently hypocritical, unintelligent (Ha!), intolerant, adroit (how DARE you!), juvenile, and prepubescent in my knee-biting. Lovely. The good news is that the ignore list works on you too, sir. Defend away! Enjoy hijacking threads the same way TS does! I shall do as you so wisely recommend and ignore you, blissfully.

This board isn't about trolls and it isn't about psychology, mob or abnormal. It's about Apple and rumors thereunto. You and I are, on the surface, in agreement about the best way to handle the matter; ignore the trolls. However, while you have appeared as if by magic to defend the most egregious by FAR of offenders in this board, I've posted a very few comments asking people to IGNORE the trolls. And to reconsider replying to them. Which, this comment notwithstanding, is exactly what I will do.

Curious:

Based upon the inflammatory nature of your responses so far, exactly what separates you from the label you have freely painted upon Tekstud?

Also, as I have stated in a previous thread, I had been a long time lurker, posting every so often. I lost the email I originally posted under and had to create a new login.

I guess the admins could probably look at my IP address and find my original login, but I'm not going to make them go through that, nor do I think they would wish to.

Of course a simple "search all post from this user" would provide validity to this explanation, but just as I don't know how to multi-quote from several different postings, I doubt you would know how to use the search options provided.

I'm sorry, that was just the type of knee jerk response I have been admonishing everyone against.

The fact is I would rather someone have a civil conversation than to debase themselves to juvenile attacks.

The kids in Columbine attacked all the "Beautiful People" in that school because they themselves had been attacked and humiliated daily.

But it seems none of us ever learn from scenarios such as that.

And yes, I do agree that if he in fact were a troll, then yes, ignoring him would be the correct response, but as I stated previously, I have lurked and posted sporadically for the last couple of years and I have only noticed that his posts have been nothing more than criticism of some of apples products and nothing more.

There have been actual windows zealot trolls, or even just people coming from google news to actually stir things up that have been more derisive than he and I see the same behavior exhibited in response.

A troll, by definition, is someone who appears randomly within a forum, has not been a long time member, and pops in with constantly insulting personal attacks.

If you look at Tekstud's posts and his history, you will realize he doesn't fit that definition.
post #160 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh no- now you've done it. Be afraid, be very afraid! The matrix attack will begin any second now! Their tentacles are poisonous.

Seriuosly - excellent post. My sentiments exactly- and then some.
I've been a proud Mac owner for over 10 years- I just call it like it is.

As do I.

BTW, I haven't read back that far: Are you guys talking about BSG or ST?

I loved the new BSG, and though I can't call myself a Trekkie (yes, I'm a geek, even if I am african american by appearance. You can only imagine what my childhood had been like......) but I really think the Abrams reboot of ST was the best job anyone could ever have done, even from a purists perspective.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report