or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report

Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report - Page 5

post #161 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

As do I.

BTW, I haven't read back that far: Are you guys talking about BSG or ST?

I loved the new BSG, but I can't call myself a Trekkie (yes, I'm a geek, even if I am african american by appearance. You can only imagine what my childhood had been like......) but I really think the Abrams reboot of ST was the best job anyone could ever have done, even from a purists perspective.

ST- the original. BSG was the 70's I think. New ST was great- saw it the other night at the Ziegfeld here in NYC (the last giant screened theater). Audience applauded at the end.
post #162 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

If you were on this forum longer, you'd understand the annoyance.

I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and I think you're being a jerk.

teckstud doesn't (usually ) mindlessly complain, and yes sometimes he borders on troll-ism, but mostly he just likes playing devils advocate. In fact it's what makes discourse around here interesting. I'm not championing being negative by any means (I'd like a little more positivity around here in fact) and every now and then I ignore a couple of posts, but don't just jump on the hater bandwagon because you don't agree with an opinion or thought. This is what forums are for, discussion, regardless of whether or not your opinion matches those of others.

So far in this thread teckstud has given relatively collected responses even though he's been called a dipshit, whiner and a troll. You guys seem to love throwing insults around, but the second he gets irritable and posts a retort all hell breaks loose ... seems a little unfair to me, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

why is everyone fighting on a apple web site ???

It didn't used to be like this. Apple got popular and suddenly a bunch more people signed up and started posting here. With so many opinions being batted around, things get a little dicey.

I do miss the creativity and positivity Apple used to inspire, now it's just arguments left, right and centre, which makes me wonder why I post here anymore? \

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #163 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

ST- the original. BSG was the 70's I think. New ST was great- saw it the other night at the Ziegfeld here in NYC (the last giant screened theater). Audience applauded at the end.

We live in Alexandria, Va, so we saw it on one of these pitiful little screens at Maza Gallery in DC/MD.

It was absolutely great. My wife loved it too, which is a mark to how great it was. She's very discerning, easily bored, and had nothing good to say about the trailers, but loved the final result when we saw it in the theaters.

I remember the Original BSG, with the monkey in the space suit looking thing, an attempt at a futuristic dog/pet. It was good for it's time, but it was just very "Buck Rogers".

I feel the new one was a better take on the concept, story, and genre.
post #164 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I've been on this forum a lot longer than you, and I think you're being a jerk.

teckstud doesn't (usually ) mindlessly complain, and yes sometimes he borders on troll-ism, but mostly he just likes playing devils advocate. In fact it's what makes discourse around here interesting. I'm not championing being negative by any means (I'd like a little more positivity around here in fact) and every now and then I ignore a couple of posts, but don't just jump on the hater bandwagon because you don't agree with an opinion or thought. This is what forums are for, discussion, regardless of whether or not your opinion matches those of others.

So far in this thread teckstud has given relatively collected responses even though he's been called a dipshit, whiner and a troll. You guys seem to love throwing insults around, but the second he gets irritable and posts a retort all hell breaks loose ... seems a little unfair to me, no?

It didn't used to be like this. Apple got popular and suddenly a bunch more people signed up and started posting here. With so many opinions being batted around, things get a little dicey.

I do miss the creativity and positivity Apple used to inspire, now it's just arguments left, right and centre, which makes me wonder why I post here anymore? \

Jimzip

That is exactly what I have been attempting to illustrate and convey.

Thank you. I just hope the remainder can be as observant, conscientious and civil as this.
post #165 of 244
Apple's take on the netbook market... yeah right
with a 500$ to 700$ machine. What a bunch of morons. I am not saying the machine is bad or anything, in fact I am pretty sure it will be cool, but Apple is living in lala land if they think this device has anything to do with the netbook market.

Anyway... will be interesting to see.
post #166 of 244
- it will be revolutionary
- it will be presented in a special event this summer by Steve Jobs, celebrating his return to the public
- it will be available in time for the holiday season

what do you think?[/QUOTE]

I think that is a very savvy observation considering the rumors that have been floating around..
i think you have predicted the most sophisticated consumer electronics product introduced since the ipod.
I think the form factor you predict is right on with being the perfect alternative to a screen too small on the phone and a device too big in a computer. This is what i will have with me on all of my trips - from overseas to the coffee house.
I think it is a no brainer it is coming, and that they have been working on it for well over two years. It will have proprietary components designed by apple. it will be a leap year ahead of everything else just like the ipod and iphone were when they were introduced.
I think it will be software rich .. for free.. and hardware cool for $.. it will bottom out at 499.
i think the phone providers like ATT, Verizon and Sprint will all sell this product along side retailers selling computers..
I think small business and institutions will use this device with with their own apps designed just for their own day to day operations. Nurses, doctors, salesmen, contractors and students will all have unique applications suited to them personally and their jobs when using this device..

I think this product will re-define Apple in the rest of the world as the unquestioned leader of consumer electronics just like Sony in the 80's..
post #167 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

I will!

Front

back

I just found a random OSX screenshot online, and I only spent like 2 hours on it, so it's not totally wicked or anything..
EDIT:
I also only rendered at high quality, so they are kind of huge.
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
17" i7 Macbook Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Mini (early 2006), G3 B&W, G3 Beige Tower, 3 G3 iMacs (original, bondi, snow), Power Mac 7600/132, Power Mac 7100/100, Power Mac 6100/60, Performa 5280, Performa...
post #168 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Interestingly, my netbook can do a lot more than my old 12" Powerbook G4. It can even play back 720p H.264 video. The PB can't even play back 480p H.264. And the 12" PB was no inexpensive laptop. That's on top of the occasional Dreamweaver, Fireworks and even Photoshop work I do on my "expensive internet browser."

The article says the Apple device will have the same 7-10" screen as all existing netbooks, so your complaint would apply to that device as well.

Oh Good, now we're gonna dis 90's tech against now tech!

"TRAVEL is Fatal to Prejudice,Bigotry,Narrowmindedness"mt

TRY IT!

TRY IT!

post #169 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

Heheh, I'd love to but I'm at work!

Actually while we're on that, a gallery section of AI would be pretty sweet ... somewhere to put all these mocks.

Mmm?

Jimzip
post #170 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by P L View Post

Oh Good, now we're gonna dis 90's tech against now tech!

Uh, you just destroyed all your Mac cred there. The 12" Powerbook G4 was introduced in 2003.
post #171 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's a very good point. How do Apple ensure people view it as an "excellent iPhone" and not a "crap computer?"

They make it super thin and light and market it to university students.
post #172 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

I will!

Front

back

I just found a random OSX screenshot online, and I only spent like 2 hours on it, so it's not totally wicked or anything..
EDIT:
I also only rendered at high quality, so they are kind of huge.

That's pretty well done and tasteful, but I think Apple just introduced a white paper showing they are interested in working in carbon fiber now.

It's a lot to ask, but since I have no talent in this area, could you produce one in CF so we could have an idea what that may look like?

Great work, btw.....
post #173 of 244
Quote:

That's pretty well done and tasteful, but I think Apple just introduced a white paper showing they are interested in working in carbon fiber now.

It's a lot to ask, but since I have no talent in this area, could you produce one in CF so we could have an idea what that may look like?

Great work, btw.....

I can try, i'd just have to find a CF texture or something...
post #174 of 244
I am writing this on my MacBook Air, which is a great netbook - much better than the wife's plain MacBook. It is light, it is not too hot to the touch, and the screen/keyboard are great. While I like the MBAir a lot, there are times when I miss my Table PC (horror): making notes. There is no better way to take notes/brainstorm in a lecture/meeting than a tablet. Unobtrusive, free-form, mind-map with a pen/stylus. Having said that, the Table PC gathers dust: it is too thick, too heavy, too hot when holding it like a note-pad, too noisy (fan/heat/CPU), in a word too cumbersome. I would love a thin, A4/letterhead-size, light, power-optimised Apple tablet I could hand-write notes on, read books, play games, watch videos, do conf-calls/video telephony (iChat/Skype) or simply show off photos/presentations. Yesterday.
post #175 of 244
Quote:

I can try, i'd just have to find a CF texture or something...

Let me see what I can find.

What do you need?
post #176 of 244
Quote:

Let me see what I can find.

What do you need?

I found one, and it's rendering
post #177 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmopolak View Post

I am writing this on my MacBook Air, which is a great netbook - much better than the wife's plain MacBook. It is light, it is not too hot to the touch, and the screen/keyboard are great. While I like the MBAir a lot, there are times when I miss my Table PC (horror): making notes. There is no better way to take notes/brainstorm in a lecture/meeting than a tablet. Unobtrusive, free-form, mind-map with a pen/stylus. Having said that, the Table PC gathers dust: it is too thick, too heavy, too hot when holding it like a note-pad, too noisy (fan/heat/CPU), in a word too cumbersome. I would love a thin, A4/letterhead-size, light, power-optimised Apple tablet I could hand-write notes on, read books, play games, watch videos, do conf-calls/video telephony (iChat/Skype) or simply show off photos/presentations. Yesterday.

I agree, though the best situation would be a monocle style appliance....but that is a discussion for another forum and topic.......

My point is, especially after the blow up a few months ago, on the Daily Show of all places, concerning how the analysts and stock speculators make up stories out of thin air, about Apple in particular, in order to manipulate share price, that if it happens we should be happy when it does.

But, after what I have just conveyed above, these reports are nothing more than an attempt to influence buy decisions, whether it be retail or stock, in a way to adversely affect Apple in one way or another.

I do see there would be issues in typing on a tablet, and I would wonder how that could be done on the go.

Also, there is the issue of having to look down at the screen all the time, rather than it being directly ahead of you.

Like the Air, I would see it as something to supplement another desktop or laptop, and not as a main computer.

I want to believe that apple may come out with this instead of a smaller net book, but the argument can also be made that they have already done this and it's the iPhone.

That is just my opinion, of course.
post #178 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Uh, you just destroyed all your Mac cred there. The 12" Powerbook G4 was introduced in 2003.

I stand corrected!
We're gonna dis 6yr old Tech against Technology of today!
Better?

TRY IT!

TRY IT!

post #179 of 244
Quote:

I found one, and it's rendering

FANTASTIC!!!!

I can't wait for the result. This has been an interest of mine. I really would like to see what a CF Mac would look like and have always wondered why Apple chose aluminum over CF....
post #180 of 244
Quote:

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet (that is if you can think for yourself and not let Apple do it for you). Therefor it would need an OSX lite.

Did you mean Multi Apps (as opposed to Muti)?

If so, be aware that the iPhone OS can indeed run multiple apps simultaneously, but it has been crippled in software to prevent that feature, because Apple believes it will do more harm than good. (The proof is that one can easily jail-break his/her iPhone and remove the crippling aspect.)

I am not saying whether I side with Apple on this issue. Just to your point: the iPhone already runs OS X Lite, and it would be trivial for Apple to expose that fact.

Thompson
post #181 of 244
oops, delete this...
post #182 of 244
Quote:

FANTASTIC!!!!

I can't wait for the result. This has been an interest of mine. I really would like to see what a CF Mac would look like and have always wondered why Apple chose aluminum over CF....

Front
Back
post #183 of 244
Quote:

You know exactly what I meant but are being a jerk once again. Of course it can run Mutiple Apps!!! Mutiple Apps running at once. Where's my spoon for you?

1) You keep dropping your "L"s on Multi.

2) Having only a little knowledge before pontificating on a topic can make one seem foolish. So you really should learn more about the iPhone OS before you offer to school us on it.

Thompson
post #184 of 244
Quote:

I stand corrected!
Better?

Good bye. I should have known better. Checking your post history, it's apparent that you're one of those guys who thinks his one-sentence posts are clever and pithy, even though they're devoid of all meaningful information. I won't make the mistake of addressing you again after this.
post #185 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

researchers for Piper Jaffray said Thursday

It helps to stop reading right there. Seriously.

Yeah. And then sit back and laugh at all the folks that also missed the name Munster. I don't think he has EVER been right! He just regurgitates random rumors, and puts long lead time dates on them so if anything ever comes he claims success to his boss and if it doesn't he claims market conditions changed so the original prognostication was "updated".
post #186 of 244
Quote:

Again you distort. I was responding to the post that said there was no need for a modified OS. But of course you want me to spoon feed you that posting too- no way.
And BTW "idiot", it's not the screen- IT'S THE OS.

Your original post made it sound like you thought this would require a significant modification to the OS to support this. In fact, it is trivial. The OS has the capability, and the iPhone SDK that Apple provides does not expose it. Jail-breaking your phone reveals it.

This would be trivial for Apple to invoke on a machine that is larger (and therefore not quite so battery challenged).

You were either unaware of what I am telling you now, or you are attempting to squirm your way out of a falsehood by changing your point..

Thompson
post #187 of 244
Quote:

I stand corrected!
Better?

ps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/powerbook
In your org. post you didn't specify.
Apple introduced powerbooks in 1991!

TRY IT!

TRY IT!

post #188 of 244
they dont even know what apple will do in 2 weeks. so they are making prediction for next year. Stop this tablet rumor madness. How many YEARS has this been going on?
post #189 of 244
Quote:

I meant, as I specified later, was that you can't view nor perform multiple Apps simultaneous as you can with a laptop/netbook. The OS would at the very least have to be modified to allow this.
It's not simply a matter of screen size as sloppyism said.

All Apple needs to do is remove the software crippling. Done deal.

Thompson
post #190 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I just don't understand why everyone is so in love with this tablet idea. These things have such an exceedingly limited usefulness.

Do you really want to keep it flat on your lap while you type on it? Because that won't add an incredible amount of strain to your neck or anything. Or maybe you can hold it up with one hand, and type with the other one. Yeah, that'll be a blast. Try it now with your keyboard. Hold it up with one hand and type with the other. See how long you keep that up.

Plus, no mouse means no rollover, so even if this thing has Flash support, good luck visiting any Flash-based websites and not wanting to throw that $700 tablet like a frisbee.

If there were no more client-side hard drives, if everything (including your applications) was stored on the internet and you could access it anywhere, then maybe something like this - essentially just a portable window to the internet - might be useful. Otherwise, as a second computer, this thing is going to be a $700 paperweight.

Honestly, I love Apple, and I don't think they're dumb enough to build something like this. However, they did create a Shuffle with no buttons, so I've been wrong before...

I can't imagine a computer where I can't touch type. I am a (very) fast touch typist; I'm also a software engineer/computer enthusiast. I lose patience really fast if the hardware forces me to hunt and peck.

I gave up my last Windows computer earlier this year, and couldn't be satisfied more with my MacBook Pro. However, I'm not against small laptops. I was disappointed when Apple abandoned the 12-inch laptops like my iBook G4, which was a sweet machine.

Last year I purchased an OLPC laptop. It was a piece of junk as far as I'm concerned, because it forced me to "hunt and peck." I sold it on eBay after two months of frustration. I steered clear of Eee PC's because of their keyboards.

Two weeks ago I succumbed to the netbook temptation (after much investigation). I bought a Samsung NC10 with WinDoze XP. (I know, I thought I had abandoned WinDoze). Well, except for the fact that it is Windows, it meets my standards for being "touch-typeable." The keyboard is slightly smaller (I think), but I can speed type on it. I will never buy a larger laptop again (unless it is another MacBook Pro or MacBook or a follow-on).

Having spewed about the need for a keyboard, I'll contradict myself by mentioning my iPhone, which I can't live without--not because it is a phone, but because of everything else it is. I consider it another computer in my collection. ... And ... it has no keyboard. I also have owned (and loved) two Shuffle iPods. ... So I *can* become enamored with computing devices without keyboards.

So ... I guess I'll just wait and see what Apple releases (next year?). Go ahead, create something so cool that changes the paradigm so much that I have to buy one! (Apple has done it before. I hope they do it again.)

Gaudeamus Igitur

(P.S. If Apple releases a 12-, 11-, or 10-inch laptop (even if they don't call it a netbook), I will buy one in a heartbeat, and sell my Samsung on eBay. I don't care if Apple wants $900 or $1000 for it. (It will be worth it!!). Go ahead, Apple. Surprise me!!)
post #191 of 244
Quote:

Front
Back

That's absolutely beautiful and very fitting of a Mac. It goes all the way back to the NeXt days when jobs was forced to leave apple by not being allowed to be innovative when Amelio was in charge (Don't get me wrong: Jobs isn't a saint by any means, but he is innovative....)

I really do like that. if it has the ability to change it's screen orientation like the iPhone, it would be perfect. My only complaint is the silver apple on the back would pose an issue for esthetic reasons, when changing the orientation of the tablet......

It looks great though.
post #192 of 244
Quote:

I meant, as I specified later, was that you can't view nor perform multiple Apps simultaneous as you can with a laptop/netbook. The OS would at the very least have to be modified to allow this.
It's not simply a matter of screen size as sloppyism said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet.

I have already demonstrated in my previous post that iPhone can run multiple apps simultaneously, even though you can't see them running in the background. What you said is that iPhone is not capable of running multiple apps simultaneously, which is entirely misleading.

Also, you are totally missing the point. The major challenge for Apple to come up with the tablet device has nothing to do with OS or the multitasking capability of the OS, which you have stressed several times. Why? Because the iPhone OS is an OSX Lite itself already and it is entirely capable of multitasking already, as I have emphasized over and over again.

The real challenge is that Apple needs to come up with a new user interface that works well on a bigger touchscreen, which ironically Tablet PCs have failed to do for several years. Also, Apple needs to come up with a developer tool that can help developers to utilize the new user interface, which again the Windows Mobile platform has failed to do as well.
post #193 of 244
I personally won't blame iPhone for the bad things Apple has done. I will blame on how Apple has changed its way of doing desktop/laptop business, which I think is independent of the development of the iPhone. I bet the Apple fans 4 years ago wouldn't believe that Apple would come up with the plastic enclosure on Macbooks that simply wouldn't last. TN screen on Macs? Something I wouldn't even imagine 4 years ago.
post #194 of 244
Business Week is now confirming the Munster prediction of a tablet in 2010: http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...hold_your.html

That's pretty credible.

I agree with an earlier poster: Apple will say 2010, and introduce it earlier; perhaps prior to the '09 Christmas season, but shipping in '10.
post #195 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Business Week is now confirming the Munster prediction of a tablet in 2010: http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...hold_your.html

That's pretty credible.

I agree with an earlier poster: Apple will say 2010, and introduce it earlier; perhaps prior to the '09 Christmas season, but shipping in '10.

Hmm, I dont know if they can be considered credible if they are reporting on highly speculative rumors.

Its in Apple favour to release before expected. It worked wonders with the Intel launch and we still pejorative comments about Push Notifications despite Apple explaining (for once) why there is such a long delay.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #196 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hmm, I dont know if they can be considered credible if they are reporting on highly speculative rumors.

In my experience - and my judgment - a publication of the caliber of BW will never use the a word like "confirmed" in its headline unless it heard this from at least two credible sources.

We'll have to see, but my bet would be that this will prove true.
post #197 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

In my experience - and my judgment - a publication of the caliber of BW will never use the a word like "confirmed" in its headline unless it heard this from at least two credible sources.....

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight............
post #198 of 244
Quote:

Sounds like an awesome gaming device!

Only with proper gaming controls. Otherwise, it'll be oversized iPod Touch... OK for casual games, but $500 for casual gaming gadget...? Hm... \

I might be old fashioned, but for $500+ I'd expect fully featured computer with fully functional OS - with or without keyboard. Probably convertible, with keyboard and rotating screen. Use it as regular notebook on the desk and for typing in general, swing screen and use it as a tablet on the run, for reading, watching movies. Apple has proved with Air they can make darn thin device with screen and keyboard anyway. Heck, they could size Air down a bit, make screen able to rotate 180 degree, get rid of touchpad (replaced with touchscreen)... there you go.

I'd likely cache that kind of money for such device. But just a tablet with iPhone-like OS..? Uh, no.
post #199 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was thinking along similar lines, mmm is there a member mute filter in this blog?

Yes. Click on it's name and view it's profile.

Then under it's name, click on User Lists and "Add to Ignore List"

The forum is much more readable. Trick is, you have to remember to log in so the forum knows who to hide for you
post #200 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

While I appreciate the ignore list to fold comments from the Golden Troll Award winner, is it possible to make quotes of him invisible as well?

Only by getting people to stop quoting it.

I'm going to go fix my contribution to the problem right now...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report