or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report

Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report - Page 2

post #41 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If its a tablet that is finger-based then a new UI would have to be made. The iPhone OS would be too small and the Mac OS would require a more precise pointing device. Even the Dock could be an issue. I think that is what is probably meant, not the kernels instruction set.

Yes - he was just proposing that a device half way between the two would need an OS half way between the two, and trying to fluff it up to sound like great technical insight.
post #42 of 244
i wish I was as certain about "anything" the way Techstud is certain about "everything!"
post #43 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes - he was just proposing that a device half way between the two would need an OS half way between the two, and trying to fluff it up to sound like great technical insight.

As cool as it would be, I still dont see a consumer market for a dedicated tablet Mac.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's a very good point. How do Apple ensure people view it as an "excellent iPhone" and not a "crap computer?"

Sounds like an awesome gaming device!
post #45 of 244
Quote:

As cool as it would be, I still dont see a consumer market for a dedicated tablet Mac.

Me neither. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.
post #46 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah...then READ what you said afterwards! Dipshit!

Wow. What are you, the thought police? So what, he was stating an opinion. Nothing like getting skewered and lambasted for speaking your mind...
post #47 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Does it really make sense for Apple to develop yet another operating system? Unless it's going be the same iphone OS with added resolutions I just don't see them recouping the costs of development.

This is all about analysts trying to invent excitement around a vacuum of activity and product announcements. That is all.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #48 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Piper Jaffray analyst also told clients that a tablet device could pave the way for Apple to get more serious about eBooks and give devices like the Kindle and Kindle DX from online retailer Amazon.com some unwanted competition.

Unwanted competition? Amazon WANTS Apple to develop a kindle-killer; that's why they ported kindle to iPhone and bought a company that ports book-reader software to multiple devices.

Amazon would be more than happy to be a bit player in the book-reader market if they're selling the lion's share of the books.
post #49 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Laughable. Apple can't do anything less than $999....

iPhone, iPods, Mac Mini, Apple TV.
post #50 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.

Groan. There you go again. This is getting so tiresome. And, the sad part is, you are completely impervious.

You all have fun! I'll stop reading this thread right here and now, because I can predict that well over 50% of responses will come from you.....
post #51 of 244
$700 and a wireless plan will be required? too expensive.

$400 and around $30 for a WWAN data plan should be about right. not like the hardware will be anything special. if acer can sell netbooks for $299 with XP on them why can't Apple sell a device with similar specs for a similar price?
post #52 of 244
Quote:

Multiple apps do run at the same time on the iPhone and Touch. The only thing Apple currently doesnt allow is the multiple 3rd-party apps to run at once. There is a difference and there is a reason for it, but you know that are just trolling.

No you are just being difficult. How do you view and perform more than one App at a time on your iPhone simultaneously and why would you want to limit the tablet to not have this feature as well?
post #53 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

His point, I believe, is that it can run multiple apps at once, which is why your iPod music keeps playing, your stopwatch keeps running and you keep receiving emails, etc whilst browsing Safari. So perhaps you're being the jerk, or just ignorant?

Neither. I meant view them at once like any laptop/netbook and he knew it.
post #54 of 244
Quote:

No you are just being difficult. How do you view and perform more than one App at a time on your iPhone simultaneously and why would you want to limit the tablet to not have this feature as well?

You are just being an idiot and a troll for, again, not admitting that you didnt think through your negative response before replying. You can use multiple apps at once on the iPhone and Touch, but since it is a 3.5 screen you cant have side-by-side app windows like you would on a desktop. They use overlays, I use it or my headphones (the ones you said wont work with the iPhone) to control the iPod app when doing anything else on the device, for example.

As for a tablet being able to have multiple apps running at once from 3rd-parties, side-by-side (see how I use my words to write something clear and concise) you are the one pooh-poohing Apple in this regard. There is no logistical limitation for a large display with a more CPU and a lot more RAM so why do think Apple would do that?
post #55 of 244
The whole point of releasing a sub $1000 device with a little more usability than the iphone is the current economy. Read the trades; the apple Brand is strong partially due to the iphone and more importantly ipod touch proliferation. relatively few people can afford a macbook or an imac over and ipod and even fewer can afford a macbook pro or a macpro. Tablets are wonderful. Whoever questions that is retarded, period. Inexpensive, flexible and more powerful than all of the computers we thought were so powerful 10 years ago and paid $5,000 for. LOL My iphone is more powerful than my 333MHZ g3 tower that cost $5k with the extras. Other criticisms like ergonomics are weak at best. ever tried putting a macbook pro in you lap and typing? Nothing ergonomically about that. Your lap will be singed and your back and wrists are dead after an hour. Capability concerns are a farce, if it runs an office suite (Microsoft is already talking about iphone warez BTW), surfs the internet, checks email and plays games, that's a portable that fits the bill for many many people.

portable, light weight, easy to use, inexpensive (in a bad economy) new and exciting. Yeah tablets suck LOL
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #56 of 244
Quote:

You are just being an idiot and a troll for, again, not admitting that you didn’t think through your negative response before replying. You can use multiple apps at once on the iPhone and Touch, but since it is a 3.5” screen you can’t have side-by-side app windows like you would on a desktop. They use overlays, I use it or my headphones (the ones you said won’t work with the iPhone) to control the iPod app when doing anything else on the device, for example.

As for a tablet being able to have multiple apps running at once from 3rd-parties, side-by-side (see how I use my words to write something clear and concise) you are the one pooh-poohing Apple in this regard. There is no logistical limitation for a large display with a more CPU and a lot more RAM so why do think Apple would do that?

Again you distort. I was responding to the post that said there was no need for a modified OS. But of course you want me to spoon feed you that posting too- no way.
And BTW "idiot", it's not the screen- IT'S THE OS.
post #57 of 244
hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #58 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I just don't understand why everyone is so in love with this tablet idea. These things have such an exceedingly limited usefulness.

Do you really want to keep it flat on your lap while you type on it? Because that won't add an incredible amount of strain to your neck or anything. Or maybe you can hold it up with one hand, and type with the other one. Yeah, that'll be a blast. Try it now with your keyboard. Hold it up with one hand and type with the other. See how long you keep that up.

I think the assumption here is that you would thumb type on it. The iPhone in portrait mode is an excellent thumb typing device, if a bit cramped. The same keyboard 50% bigger would be an almost perfect set-up IMO.

Quote:

... good luck visiting any Flash-based websites and not wanting to throw that $700 tablet like a frisbee.

Except that won't be any different from the iPhone and the iPod touch which are both selling rather well right now and which people seem to love.

Quote:

... If there were no more client-side hard drives, if everything (including your applications) was stored on the internet and you could access it anywhere, then maybe something like this - essentially just a portable window to the internet - might be useful. Otherwise, as a second computer, this thing is going to be a $700 paperweight.

Here you are missing the obvious. Mac users already have those options.

I'm a Mac user and I have MobileMe and a Time Capsule at home. I can access all my data through BackToMyMac whether it's in the cloud or on any of my computers or my networked hard drives, no matter where the computers are, from anywhere in the world. Already. Today.

Quote:

... I've been wrong before...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #59 of 244
Why are people treating unannounced, unsubstantiated vapourware as if it were something real?
post #60 of 244
The tablet been a year away for how many years now?
Maybe it'll turn out to be real. After all, we waited for an Apple phone for a long long time. But "don't hold your breath" is right.
post #61 of 244
Quote:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

I was thinking along similar lines, mmm is there a member mute filter in this blog?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #62 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Groan. There you go again. This is getting so tiresome. And, the sad part is, you are completely impervious.

While I am indeed impervious to your lacking knowledge on how to use the ignore list , grasping technical issues, etc I am contributing to the thread's issues (whether agreeing or disagreeing) while you once again are whining on and on about people who don't agree with you. Pathetic.
post #63 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was thinking along similar lines, mmm is there a member mute filter in this blog?

What? I am totally excited by this. I would buy one right now,this instant, if only it were available.
post #64 of 244
Quote:

While I am indeed impervious to your lacking knowledge on how to use the ignore list , grasping technical issues, etc I am contributing to the thread's issues (whether agreeing or disagreeing) while you once again are whining on and on about people who don't agree with you. Pathetic.

If only you made sense. That would be a start.
post #65 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Wow. What are you, the thought police? So what, he was stating an opinion. Nothing like getting skewered and lambasted for speaking your mind...

No but it gets a little tiring when the same person says the same negative shit day and day out with nothing to back it up but a bunch of FUD!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5
120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #66 of 244
Quote:

There is an ignore feature. Its in your User CP.

post #67 of 244
Quote:

What? I am totally excited by this. I would buy one right now,this instant, if only it were available.

Just a personal thing on my part, whatever you think or don't on topics I'd like to be able to read this blog sans your input. So where is the mute option?
post #68 of 244
Quote:

Thank you thank you thank you
post #69 of 244
Quote:

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

Not in the case!!! Two thousand and friggin ten!!! They are taking too long and I hope the competition beats them to the punch and teaches Apple what happens if they miss a window of opportunity. Let me copy my post to alleyinsider about this which conveys my feelings on this topic:

from alleyinsider.com

Quote:
Let me tell you all something before I'm mad enough to throw my cereal bowl at my monitor this morning!!!.........

They should have been working on this for a few years now and I'm going to be downright ANGRY if they don't announce this new type of device either at the WWDC or an event later in the year.

THAT SAID, and despite you all thinking I'm some sort of insane kook, if they delay the device to CY10 then they had BETTER make sure the device is using a flexible display technology. That would be the thing that would send the device over the top and put it in an instant lead over the competition. And it would solve the dilema of needing a large screened computer still be pocketable.
And before you make me annoyed and try to disagree about various flexible screen technologies and their development status would you please make your lazy azz fingers type a google search on the subject?

Now let me go get a bagel with peanut butter....calm down....then return to this thread to rant some more.
post #70 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

teckstud is a known troll, possibly one of the most annoying this site has had lately. Certainly he is worse than any others I have seen the whole time I've been posting here and I come here almost every day. He's just barely smart enough to avoid personal attacks and profanity so he can't be banned.

On the other hand, the times he *does* cross the line and gets personal or profane I always report the post but nothing ever happens to him so maybe the moderation is a little soft or maybe he's related to someone at AppleInsider or something? Not sure. I've been reprimanded myself for far less than teckstud does on a daily basis.

He spent an entire thread one time saying the most atrocious personal things about people and nothing seemed to happen to him. Mysterious.
post #71 of 244
Quote:

Oh I thought the iPhone updates were factored into its plan and therefor claiming it payment is over 2 years (Sarbanes Oxley)- therefor no charge. Touch does not have this due to no plan. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That would make sense, and that was my first thought, too. However, that wouldn't explain why Apple also accocunts for AppleTV sales using the same accounting method as for the iPhone. So I don't think there is any dependancy between how they account for the sale and whether there is a service subscription associated with it.
post #72 of 244
Quote:

Oh I thought the iPhone updates were factored into its plan and therefor claiming it payment is over 2 years .....

.....Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well you are wrong. You have been corrected a couple of times. The problem seems to be that you don't seem to recognise when you are wrong.

I think that's what fuels the dogmatic attitude to your posts. In this thread you seem to be keen to follow in the footsteps of your little italian friend.
post #73 of 244
Quote:

Oh this is so nice, I can recommend this to all. 'teckstud' now in ignore list
post #74 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

There are a ton of concepts. I liked something like this. It doesn't show an onscreen keyboard, but that obviously would be needed.

post #75 of 244
Quote:

I don't see much truth in that. I see conspiracy, but no truth in the matter at all. I can't see how Leopard can be late. Yes, they pushed it back ONCE to get out the door. Since then there's no evidence to the iPhone OS hindering Leopard. These are 2 separate teams.

MobileMe was just the wrong time to roll it out. Absolutely have NOTHING to do with the iPhone. Its great how you can take everything wrong and blame it on the iPhone.

I suspect that the original "push back" of Leopard was due to the fact that there are a few key individuals that understand the core of OS X and they were needed full time (100 hours a week and lovin' it) to assure the successful launch of the iPhone.

There were several side benefits to that effort:

1) experience gained in supporting variants of a core OS on multiple platforms
2) enhancements to XCode and IB in general
3) development of a Simulator
4) new/enhanced testing/debugging tools
5) began re-implementation of OBjective C frameworks, e.g UIKit (the way they should have been done, originally)

These benefits are being fed back into OS X!

Add to this the infrastructure to sell and distribute apps through the App Store.

Likely, OS X has regained the lost 6 months many times over... a pretty good ROI.

Dick
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #76 of 244
Quote:

I see it. Sofa device, digital picture frame, e-reader, video-chat, etc. Wireless keyboard for business travel.... Mount it in vehicles. Kitchen counter. It fits many places where a laptop is awkward. I guarantee you SJ hates using a hinged laptop, because of the hinge.

I thought the Kindle would flop. This adds so much to the Kindle, which according to certain stats* must be selling well. At least Kindle users are buying tons of books.

*NYT.com : 35 percent of sales of books that have a Kindle edition are sold in that format.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #77 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

That would make sense, and that was my first thought, too. However, that wouldn't explain why Apple also accocunts for AppleTV sales using the same accounting method as for the iPhone. So I don't think there is any dependancy between how they account for the sale and whether there is a service subscription associated with it.

Good question. Does the Apple TV fall into a different category like a computer or a TV device (like Blu-ray which also doesn't charge for update)? I'm not sure why there are exceptions.
post #78 of 244
Its the usual analyst wankery but 2010 sounds about right. The OS will iPhone OS4 I expect. There really is no major problem using the iPhone OS for this. I don't know what that bollocks about a new operating system between OS X and iPhone OS was all about. They are virtually the same thing and getting closer all the time as the smartphone class chipsets get more powerful. Anybody with any sense has been coding their iPhone apps with the possibility of larger screen sizes in mind.
post #79 of 244
Quote:

Oh this is so nice, I can recommend this to all. 'teckstud' now in ignore list

It's best not to address this sort of thing. I know I'm addressing it by saying not to address it, but I hope to not discuss it any further. I'd rather keep the discussion on the article.

This is an interesting article with potential for an intelligent discussion. It's a shame that so many posts involve discussion on how to use the ignore list, and who's a troll and why, and so on. This happened in another previous discussion with "italiankid."

Lets move on lol. I'll say no more on it
post #80 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that the original "push back" of Leopard was due to the fact that there are a few key individuals that understand the core of OS X and they were needed full time (100 hours a week and lovin' it) to assure the successful launch of the iPhone.

Dick

Thank you. That confirms my post ,regardless of benefits. It was iPhone development that most likely pushed Leopard back.
Conspiracy is nonsense.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report