or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report - Page 3

post #81 of 244
There was a rumor in March about Apple ordering a shipment of 10-inch touchscreens
for delivery in the third quarter. If that rumor was true, there might be some chance
that a new product would be ready for launch in time for the holidays. That would seem
to be a better time to sell them than early 2010, if producing them in time was
even possible.
post #82 of 244
I WANT MINE IN JUNE!!!
Too many Kindle books have charts and graphs, and the magazines and Newspapers need a larger platform than the iPhone Kindle app. Apple can just update, resize and reissue the iBook! Whatever form or software it is, if Steve has his input, it will be greater than great!
post #83 of 244
While I appreciate the ignore list to fold comments from the Golden Troll Award winner, is it possible to make quotes of him invisible as well?
post #84 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

As cool as it would be, I still don’t see a consumer market for a dedicated tablet Mac.

You never see a market for anytjhing that Apple doesn't have right here, right now. You saw no market for MMS, MMS pics, video, etc. etc. and yet it's now coming. Most likely the same for camera in the Touch. Again and again anything and everything that is not currently available yet desired by any poster from Apple you label as a complaint.
Your mantra is so tired.
post #85 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Not in the case!!! Two thousand and friggin ten!!! They are taking too long and I hope the competition beats them to the punch and teaches Apple what happens if they miss a window of opportunity. Let me copy my post to alleyinsider about this which conveys my feelings on this topic:

from alleyinsider.com



Now let me go get a bagel with peanut butter....calm down....then return to this thread to rant some more.

Too bad you're basing all of this crap on things that don't exist and may never exist. The Tablet market has been out for a while and never has really shown any strength. Maybe Apple can change that, or maybe not.

However...

I don't think it matters whether or not Apple is the first. Apple really hasn't been the first to do much lately and it still comes out on top eventually. If Apple does it better than everyone else it doesn't matter when they release it.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #86 of 244
@Rok.. Not easy to find the ignore option the first time.. Cheers!

That's two juvenile knobs added to the Ignore Heap (Techdud and Italianbaby).

Might I suggest other posters only do a 'quick reply' (if they really must respond) to the trolls on these boards so that they can be totally ignored.
post #87 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't see much truth in that. I see conspiracy, but no truth in the matter at all. I can't see how Leopard can be late. Yes, they pushed it back ONCE to get the iPhone out the door. Since then there's no evidence to the iPhone OS hindering Leopard. These are 2 separate teams.

MobileMe was just the wrong time to roll it out. Absolutely have NOTHING to do with the iPhone. Its great how you can take everything wrong and blame it on the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

hmm, wonder how that would look, a single milled piece of aluminum, 6mm thick, all touchscreen. anyone want to make a mockup?

"all touchscreen"... on both sides?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #88 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

He doesn't because he's a Troll and looking to start a flamewar. Thats his main purpose on these boards.

Anyway, first half of 2010 is misleading, perhaps purposely to throw off competitors. 2009 is the year to introduce this product. Could be summer or fall.
post #89 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I don't think it matters whether or not Apple is the first. Apple really hasn't been the first to do much lately and it still comes out on top eventually. If Apple does it better than everyone else it doesn't matter when they release it.

Do you type onehanded with Pom Poms in the other.
post #90 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

He doesn't because he's a Troll and looking to start a flamewar. Thats his main purpose on these boards.

Anyway, first half of 2010 is misleading, perhaps purposely to throw off competitors. 2009 is the year to introduce this product. Could be summer or fall.

I said the exact same thing in my first post yet I'm the troll? Then what are you - Klingon Troll?
post #91 of 244
I'd like to see if it would sell, it may fall into the "Cube" or "Air" Category, great idea but cost to much. The reason people like the netbooks are because they are so cheap. I don't see people paying $200 more for Apple's version.
post #92 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think the assumption here is that you would thumb type on it. The iPhone in portrait mode is an excellent thumb typing device, if a bit cramped. The same keyboard 50% bigger would be an almost perfect set-up IMO.

On a 2.5"-wide device (in portrait, as you say) that works great. Now multiply that width about four times (to get a device with a 9" screen). How long are your thumbs, Virgil?! What makes you think a person with normal digits will be able to reach those mid-western letters like H and Y?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Except that won't be any different from the iPhone and the iPod touch which are both selling rather well right now and which people seem to love.

Ah yes, the iPhone defense. Both because the device probably wouldn't handle it and because Steve Jobs hates it, Flash is not an option. I'll follow you on that. But the iPhone is, by definition, not a computer. How far can you stretch that? You're saying that a tablet with a decent screen and processor couldn't handle it, either? Don't get me wrong, I'm no Flash apologist - I've spent years programming with it and hate it just as thoroughly as Steve does. But that doesn't mean it isn't widely used throughout the internets, and something worth supporting (at least until we get a better option, but that doesn't change my argument that you're giving up all rollover functions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Here you are missing the obvious. Mac users already have those options.

I'm a Mac user and I have MobileMe and a Time Capsule at home. I can access all my data through BackToMyMac whether it's in the cloud or on any of my computers or my networked hard drives, no matter where the computers are, from anywhere in the world. Already. Today.

I can admit when I'm wrong, and concede on this point.

But I still maintain: What can a tablet do that a thin netbook can't? More importantly, what's the advantage of giving up the keyboard and mouse?
post #93 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I see it. Sofa device, digital picture frame, e-reader, video-chat, etc. Wireless keyboard for business travel.... Mount it in vehicles. Kitchen counter. It fits many places where a laptop is awkward. I guarantee you SJ hates using a hinged laptop, because of the hinge.

I thought the Kindle would flop. This adds so much to the Kindle, which according to certain stats* must be selling well. At least Kindle users are buying tons of books.


*NYT.com : 35 percent of sales of books that have a Kindle edition are sold in that format.

I see your point, those are currently consumer uses but I think the price would be too high to warrant the expense for many users. It seems that this device is only supplementary to a main computer. I think an Apple-branded netbook (though they'd never call it that) would get considerably more sales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You never see a market for anytjhing that Apple doesn't have right here, right now. You saw no market for MMS, MMS pics, video, etc. etc. and yet it's now coming. Most likely the same for camera in the Touch. Again and again anything and everything that is not currently available yet desired by any poster from Apple you label as a complaint.
Your mantra is so tired.

There was a well establishe market for SMS and MMS long before the iPhone. I don't like the carrier racket for charging so much for such little data. I think it's an ogilopogy and hope that the senator looking into it still is. Not liking a something is not the same as there not being a market. Of course, if you understand that they would constantly call Apple "teh doomed" when a product doesn't fit your needs.

PS: MMS is in v3.0, I've tested it and I will still say that SMS and MMS are an industry-wide tipoff. How 'bout them apples?

OPS: I have to follow Digitalclip, back to the ignore list with you. Why you haven't booted from this forum is beyond me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #94 of 244
I think this booger may have a market. I'll buy one. I'm sorry it'll take so long for it to arrive. It'll be an ideal traveling companion. Why? I'll welcome the larger screen, over my iPod Touch, simply because it'll be easier to read web screens and email (for an old fart like me) on a little larger screen. It'll be a little easier to diddle a sort of larger finger/keyboard. Usability. I don't care about fifty-eleven apps running at once. Just the simple ability to see ONE, more easily. [And don't feed me yer guff about a MacBook Air or a teensy MacBook: not in the same league.]
post #95 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There was a well establishe market for SMS and MMS long before the iPhone. I don't like the carrier racket for charging so much for such little data. I think it's an ogilopogy and hope that the senator looking into it still is. Not liking a something is not the same as there not being a market.

Right- and do you also suffer amnesia and not remember when you said nobody wants or needs a 7- 11inch form factor whatever because thin as in MacBookAir was only what we need?
I like the way you constantly re-write your posts and distort others. You specifically said Apple would never give or want MMS or SMS to the iPhone because emailing was the wave of the future for phones. Got proved wrong- didn't you? You are so full of bullsheet with your distortions.
post #96 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

On a 2.5"-wide device (in portrait, as you say) that works great. Now multiply that width about four times (to get a device with a 9" screen). How long are your thumbs, Virgil?! What makes you think a person with normal digits will be able to reach those mid-western letters like H and Y?

Virgil has huge long thumbs.

Well, no. But the device is likely to be 6x9 or maybe 5x8 inches so if the later, it's no wider than the iPhone is tall, making the thumb board basically the same size as when in landscape mode, but this is all speculation and we don't really know. there is also some speculation that Apple might use that infra-red tech they patented wherein the tablet can detect your hands hovering over it. This opens up a lot more possibilities but it's a bit sci-fi at this stage and might not happen.

I'd say you're right about the Flash roll-over problem (should have said that last post i guess), but I don't think Flash will be around for much longer, so it's basically a moot point to even talk about Flash right now IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

... What can a tablet do that a thin netbook can't? More importantly, what's the advantage of giving up the keyboard and mouse?

I guess it's just what you're used to in this regard. Personally, I've been waiting my whole life for the sort of electronic clipboard/tablet I first saw on Star Trek in 1964. The tablet PC is kind of a holy grail for a large segment of the population despite the idea never having really worked yet. Fingers replaces the mouse and keyboard quite well on the iPhone, so I see no reason why they can't do so on a tablet.

I have a 12" PowerBook, (which is the closest thing Apple has ever made to a netbook), and I have to say that writing a document on the iPhone is not that much worse than using the keyboard on the laptop. the point is that anything smaller than that and it's just not that useful to type on. I'm thinking that if the iPhone thumb typing thing was larger, that the number of mis-keys would drop and that the typing speed would be basically equivalent to typing on a sub-sized regular keyboard with all fingers (netbooks).

I have my doubts that the tablet will be able to replace simple drawing however, so in that sense the cocktail napkin and sharpie still rule, but we shall see what they announce.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #97 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Personally, I've been waiting my whole life for the sort of electronic clipboard/tablet I first saw on Star Trek in 1964.

That would have been extremely difficult as the show started in 1966.
But then again what do I know being a troll and all.
post #98 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Does it really make sense for Apple to develop yet another operating system? Unless it's going be the same iphone OS with added resolutions I just don't see them recouping the costs of development.

It's only the analysts that are "guessing" about the OS. That alone should discount this piece. I don't think Apple is going to go through the effort to re-invent the wheel. OSX and the iPhone-variant of OSX will probably be used in some form. It might even be the iPhone OS just more "unlocked" with the ability to do true multitasking even from 3rd party apps. It will be interesting.
post #99 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are just being an idiot and a troll for, again, not admitting that you didnt think through your negative response before replying. You can use multiple apps at once on the iPhone and Touch, but since it is a 3.5 screen you cant have side-by-side app windows like you would on a desktop. They use overlays, I use it or my headphones (the ones you said wont work with the iPhone) to control the iPod app when doing anything else on the device, for example.

Teckstud is just getting all wound-up with frustration. Will someone please send him the updated Victoria's Secret catalog? That should keep him occupied (and silent) until he wears it out.

I'm all for people expressing their opinion, even it it runs contrary to my own. But his rants and whiningly remarks aren't even opinions. It's his Gospel according to Teckstud. He's right, everyone else is wrong. He's has the reading and comprehension skills, everyone else needs to go back to school. If this guy has a job, it must be a lowly piece of employment where he is stepped on all the time or he has no serious social life at all which would explain his pent-up anger and abusive attitude with everyone. I would doubt he is like that in person because if he were, he'd be fired in an instant.

AI - You catching wind of this? Look at all the shrapnel Teckstud is leaving on the forums!
post #100 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's only the analysts that are "guessing" about the OS. That alone should discount this piece. I don't think Apple is going to go through the effort to re-invent the wheel. OSX and the iPhone-variant of OSX will probably be used in some form.

Combine the two and what do you get? That would be a modified OS- DUH?

Stick to your personal attacks- they only thing you're good for. And BTW your fey calls for help from AI et al are really scaring me dude (see below).

Quote:
Teckstud is just getting all wound-up with frustration. Will someone please send him the updated Victoria's Secret catalog? That should keep him occupied (and silent) until he wears it out.
AI - You catching wind of this? Look at all the shrapnel Teckstud is leaving on the forums
post #101 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Personally, I've been waiting my whole life for the sort of electronic clipboard/tablet I first saw on Star Trek in 1964. The tablet PC is kind of a holy grail for a large segment of the population despite the idea never having really worked yet. Fingers replaces the mouse and keyboard quite well on the iPhone, so I see no reason why they can't do so on a tablet.

The truth is, I completely hear where you're coming from on this. I've looked at all the mockups, read all the articles, and I think a tablet computer would be super (nerdy) cool. The problem is that my personal history (and my closet) is littered with gadgets that I thought would be awesome, just to have them be collecting dust a month later.

I think this is similar to how PDAs never fared all that well. I owned a Cassiopia and an iPAQ (because I never learn my lesson the first time), but tossed them both fairly quickly. This is partly because they were useless, but also because I didn't want to have to carry around yet another device. I think the latest generation of smartphones are major winners because they combine PDA functionality with something you were carrying around anyway.

I guess I can just see myself buying one of these tablets, thinking it's really super cool for a week, then ultimately deciding that I can just as easily bring my laptop out with me if I'm going to need it and return the tablet.

Again, I've been wrong so many times in my life, this could be yet another time. I just see all this talk about tablets, and the most pragmatic part of me thinks, "Why?"

Thanks for the debate!
post #102 of 244
please allow me a prediction from all we have heard and read:

apple's next new product will be spectacular, it will define a new category of products and it will cannibalize neither the iPhone business, nor the MacBook sales. it will be the next, the fourth pillar of Apple's success.

it will be a MacTouch.

- a 10 " tablet, nine times the screen size and resolution of the iPhone, resembling the iPhone from the looks an being roughly as thick
- thus immediately working with every existing iPhone app
- combining everything from the iPhone (3G, WiFI, Bluetooth, AppStore, iTunes synching) with everything from the mac (iLife and iWork will work with new preinstalled specialized versions for touch control) - OS X Snow Leopard is the key - that's why they focus on performance.
- it will be touch controlled with a large visual/virtual keyboard, but of course the existing sleek Apple wireless Keyboard will work immediately using Bluetooth
- it will have 1 or 2 (micro)USB-ports making it the ideal device for storing, presenting and basic editing of photos and videos while on holiday, for watching videos with the family (for eventually it will be possible to import our DVDs in iTunes just like our CDs ...)
- it will have a front camera and microphone for video-conferencing or for putting your face into games or for making fun photos with photo booth
- it will be THE new gaming device for groups, playing all the famous board games on a screen large enough lying in front of you and sitting on every side of it (like chess with touch control and animation)
- it will be THE new book reader (though i have some doubts concerning readability in sunlight and battery life when compared to e-ink devices like the kindle), especially making it possible to produce "books" with integrated video and sound content
- it will have a stand to work as a notebook screen when typing with the keyboard or to use as small display to watch videos or digital tv or for presentations (maybe a protective cover doubles as a stand when flipped over ..)
- it will have a bluetooth remote control, reasonably good speakers and - hopefully - a SD-card reader built in
- it will be gorgeous, lightweight and affordable without being cheap and crappy like the windows netbooks
- it will be priced between the iPhone/ iPod touch and the MacBook - let me guess: somewhere between $ 499 with 8 GB and without iWork and $ 799 with 32 or even 64 GB and including iWork
- it will be THE product to present your creative work on the go, to watch video and photos in a group, to work on documents with basic editing while sitting in the bus or on the plane, to check and write emails and much more
- we will be allowed to use our existing apple software on this product without an extra fee
- it will work and synchronise with iTunes on a PC, thus being the entrance to the real mac world for old time PC-customers (they simply will want to buy an OS X-system next time a new notebook or desktop will be needed)
- it can be used like the iPhone, but it can't replace it (because of size), it can be used like a MacBook but it can't replace it (because of lack of keyboard, processing speed, lack of large storing space, limited display resolution, limited connectivity)
- it is simply the perfect companion in between.

- it will be revolutionary
- it will be presented in a special event this summer by Steve Jobs, celebrating his return to the public
- it will be available in time for the holiday season


what do you think?
post #103 of 244
I see an Apple Table as the perfect device for biz travelers...
* web, email, SMS, etc
* Skype, VoIP
* all biz docs as PDFs
* run presentations via video out
* tunes, movies, games, books 4 plane/airport/hotel
post #104 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeep View Post

please allow me a prediction from all we have heard and read:

apple's next new product will be spectacular, it will define a new category of products and it will cannibalize neither the iPhone business, nor the MacBook sales. it will be the next, the fourth pillar of Apple's success.

it will be a MacTouch.

- a 10 " tablet, nine times the screen size and resolution of the iPhone, resembling the iPhone from the looks an being roughly as thick
- thus immediately working with every existing iPhone app
- combining everything from the iPhone (3G, WiFI, Bluetooth, AppStore, iTunes synching) with everything from the mac (iLife and iWork will work with new preinstalled specialized versions for touch control) - OS X Snow Leopard is the key - that's why they focus on performance.
- it will be touch controlled with a large visual/virtual keyboard, but of course the existing sleek Apple wireless Keyboard will work immediately using Bluetooth
- it will have 1 or 2 (micro)USB-ports making it the ideal device for storing, presenting and basic editing of photos and videos while on holiday, for watching videos with the family (for eventually it will be possible to import our DVDs in iTunes just like our CDs ...)
- it will have a front camera and microphone for video-conferencing or for putting your face into games or for making fun photos with photo booth
- it will be THE new gaming device for groups, playing all the famous board games on a screen large enough lying in front of you and sitting on every side of it (like chess with touch control and animation)
- it will be THE new book reader (though i have some doubts concerning readability in sunlight and battery life when compared to e-ink devices like the kindle), especially making it possible to produce "books" with integrated video and sound content
- it will have a stand to work as a notebook screen when typing with the keyboard or to use as small display to watch videos or digital tv or for presentations (maybe a protective cover doubles as a stand when flipped over ..)
- it will have a bluetooth remote control, reasonably good speakers and - hopefully - a SD-card reader built in
- it will be gorgeous, lightweight and affordable without being cheap and crappy like the windows netbooks
- it will be priced between the iPhone/ iPod touch and the MacBook - let me guess: somewhere between $ 499 with 8 GB and without iWork and $ 799 with 32 or even 64 GB and including iWork
- it will be THE product to present your creative work on the go, to watch video and photos in a group, to work on documents with basic editing while sitting in the bus or on the plane, to check and write emails and much more
- we will be allowed to use our existing apple software on this product without an extra fee
- it will work and synchronise with iTunes on a PC, thus being the entrance to the real mac world for old time PC-customers (they simply will want to buy an OS X-system next time a new notebook or desktop will be needed)
- it can be used like the iPhone, but it can't replace it (because of size), it can be used like a MacBook but it can't replace it (because of lack of keyboard, processing speed, lack of large storing space, limited display resolution, limited connectivity)
- it is simply the perfect companion in between.

- it will be revolutionary
- it will be presented in a special event this summer by Steve Jobs, celebrating his return to the public
- it will be available in time for the holiday season


what do you think?

Make it be true.
post #105 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

No but it gets a little tiring when the same person says the same negative shit day in and day out with nothing to back it up but a bunch of FUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

teckstud is a known troll, possibly one of the most annoying this site has had lately. Certainly he is worse than any others I have seen the whole time I've been posting here and I come here almost every day. He's just barely smart enough to avoid personal attacks and profanity so he can't be banned.

On the other hand, the times he *does* cross the line and gets personal or profane I always report the post but nothing ever happens to him so maybe the moderation is a little soft or maybe he's related to someone at AppleInsider or something? Not sure. I've been reprimanded myself for far less than teckstud does on a daily basis.

He spent an entire thread one time saying the most atrocious personal things about people and nothing seemed to happen to him. Mysterious.

The AI boards certainly wouldn't be as colorful without him, no? AI <3 teckstud.

[sarc]Even if he is said troll, would that not confer upon him preferential troll status at AI by everyone's seeming willingness to point him out as being such? Just look, he can transform a mere rumor article (about an as-of-yet-does-not-exist product reported on ad infinitum) into a 90+ post wunderkind, exciting a response that only smoke in a beehive could achieve, all without even trying. Truly miraculous! Certainly, by possessing such skill he must be descended from the Gods and undoubtedly is a master craftsman of the troll trade.[/sarc]

I was feeling witty.
post #106 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

The truth is, I completely hear where you're coming from on this. I've looked at all the mockups, read all the articles, and I think a tablet computer would be super (nerdy) cool. The problem is that my personal history (and my closet) is littered with gadgets that I thought would be awesome, just to have them be collecting dust a month later.

I think this is similar to how PDAs never fared all that well. I owned a Cassiopia and an iPAQ (because I never learn my lesson the first time), but tossed them both fairly quickly. This is partly because they were useless, but also because I didn't want to have to carry around yet another device. I think the latest generation of smartphones are major winners because they combine PDA functionality with something you were carrying around anyway.

I guess I can just see myself buying one of these tablets, thinking it's really super cool for a week, then ultimately deciding that I can just as easily bring my laptop out with me if I'm going to need it and return the tablet.

Again, I've been wrong so many times in my life, this could be yet another time. I just see all this talk about tablets, and the most pragmatic part of me thinks, "Why?"

Thanks for the debate!

I can totally identify with this.

I had the Palm Pilot, 3x, Clie, iPaq, nino, etc. and all were hugely expensive when I bought them and all were a disappointment very shortly afterwards. I also have a box full of old folding keyboards, CF adapters and jacket adapters for the iPaq that I bought at full price also. It's hard not to think that the Apple tablet will not be a similar experience.

The reason why it might not be a failure this time is that the iPhone itself is actually the first really useful portable I've had for a long time. I had an iPaq years ago with a CF format wireless card that I could use to browse the web. Trouble was, it was pretty much useless except as a tech demo.

If the Apple tablet can replicate that ease of use, and actual utility of the iPhone, it might work. If Apple came out with a version of Pages for instance that worked on the iPhone, it would almost not be necessary to release a tablet at all.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #107 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMatrix View Post

I see an Apple Table as the perfect device for biz travelers...
* web, email, SMS, etc
* Skype, VoIP
* all biz docs as PDFs
* run presentations via video out
* tunes, movies, games, books 4 plane/airport/hotel

Didn't they say that's what the MacBook Air is for?
post #108 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

iPhone OS can't run Muti Apps (amongst other things) which you would most certainly want in a tablet (that is if you can think for yourself and not let Apple do it for you). Therefor it would need an OSX lite.

You're incorrect. iPhone OS CAN run multiple apps in the background, but it can't run 3rd party apps in the background. The reason for such limitation is not because the OS can't do multi-tasking, but because of battery life and the limited computing power of the iPhone hardware. I'm really amazed how people can't get this right.

For your reference, the iPhone can make calls, download emails (not read), and use Google Maps all at the same time. iPhone's Safari will continue to load web contents in the background if you press the home button before it finishes loading and Safari will actually finish loading the web page in the background if you use an app that doesn't use the internet (such as notes or calendar) afterwards.
post #109 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While this is great, 2010 is simply way too long away for an announcement. See what happens when all your energies go into the iPhone? Macs get pushed aside.


All,

I just have to laugh at all the arguments going back and forth about this UNANNOUNCED device being "late" and "pushed aside." I can understand being disappointed after previous comments making us expect something in 2009, but even this is just someone's educated guess. These are rumors, remember.

I'm hoping it is a true "notebook" computer. I picture a flat, light, coverless tablet that you could carry around in a leather notebook.
post #110 of 244
I wouldn't be interested. I sold my iPod touches and iPhones, although before the App Store exploded. Still, I have more use for regular Mac apps than iPhone apps, so a jumbo iPhone wouldn't be for me. I'm happy with my MSI "Macbook mini" with its "cramped" keyboard, which I'm doing about 60wpm on at this moment.

Now if Apple would do a 10" convertible running Snow Leopard, I'd be so there, even at $1k.
post #111 of 244
As dedicated devices with custom software for education, hospital, and other enterprise uses, the tablet seems to have a substantial global market.

Netbooks are expensive internet browsers, not inexpensive laptops.
post #112 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I can't help it if the truth hurts you so much. I'm not the only one saying that Mac development has been hindered by iPhone. Look at all the updates and lateness of Leopard. Look at MobileMe fiasco. Now this. Get over it.

People like you have absolutely no concept as to the amount of effort and energy that goes into designing these things. The iphone technology is extremely important to the future of Apple and that includes macs. If you haven't noticed they ported the multi-touch from the iphone to the MacBook track pads. The genius of Apple is that all of their products are tightly interwoven.

You need to get over your obsession with being negative about everything to make yourself feel important. The reality is you have absolutely no clue whatsoever about these things and absolutely nothing of value to contribute to these discussions.

The amount of time you spend on here spewing nonsense would be far better spent doing something productive.
post #113 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeep View Post

please allow me a prediction from all we have heard and read:

apple's next new product will be spectacular, it will define a new category of products and it will cannibalize neither the iPhone business, nor the MacBook sales. it will be the next, the fourth pillar of Apple's success.

...

- it will be revolutionary
...

what do you think?

full ack ...


[EDIT]

here is what it will look like



it will have no buttons on the front, two cameras, one or two buttons on the back, made out of glass, with a chrome frame, the back being out of carbon fibre, as thin as the iPhone, OLED Screen, multi-touch on the front, ....

and is able to track your finger on the back! showing some kind of new cursor on the front, certainly not a mouse cursor.

iPhone OS 4.0, runs multiple iPhone apps side by side,
in addition to a new kind of apps.

Apple only processor and SoC's , (PA-Semi)

... not a computer, not a phone, not a netbook, not a "tablet"

the first of it's kind ever.

And it will be ready when the time is right
and techology allows it, not this year

anyone likes this idea? and the design?
Jon?
post #114 of 244
While I think that this type of device has the potential to be a homerun, the projected timing (vs. this year) isn't shocking for two reasons:

1. Partitioning the platform between open PC-like layers (i.e., download apps from anywhere) and managed/closed runtime layers (App Store is THE marketplace with a singular SDK, APIs, etc.) is a potential hornet's nest of technical, user experience and ecosystem decisions.

2. Such a device is a logical point for Apple to define forking decisions between abstractions and uniformity, relative to supporting all sorts of different form factors under this platform (e.g., Macs, Apple TV, iPhone, iPod touch, Tablet, keyboard, touch/tilt only, camera, video, TV tuner).

For more fodder on the topic, check out the post:

Apple, TV and the Smart Connected Living Room
http://bit.ly/FBEk

Cheers,

Mark
post #115 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeep View Post

please allow me a prediction from all we have heard and read:

apple's next new product will be spectacular, it will define a new category of products and it will cannibalize neither the iPhone business, nor the MacBook sales. it will be the next, the fourth pillar of Apple's success.

it will be a MacTouch.

- a 10 " tablet, nine times the screen size and resolution of the iPhone, resembling the iPhone from the looks an being roughly as thick
- thus immediately working with every existing iPhone app
- combining everything from the iPhone (3G, WiFI, Bluetooth, AppStore, iTunes synching) with everything from the mac (iLife and iWork will work with new preinstalled specialized versions for touch control) - OS X Snow Leopard is the key - that's why they focus on performance.
- it will be touch controlled with a large visual/virtual keyboard, but of course the existing sleek Apple wireless Keyboard will work immediately using Bluetooth
- it will have 1 or 2 (micro)USB-ports making it the ideal device for storing, presenting and basic editing of photos and videos while on holiday, for watching videos with the family (for eventually it will be possible to import our DVDs in iTunes just like our CDs ...)
- it will have a front camera and microphone for video-conferencing or for putting your face into games or for making fun photos with photo booth
- it will be THE new gaming device for groups, playing all the famous board games on a screen large enough lying in front of you and sitting on every side of it (like chess with touch control and animation)
- it will be THE new book reader (though i have some doubts concerning readability in sunlight and battery life when compared to e-ink devices like the kindle), especially making it possible to produce "books" with integrated video and sound content
- it will have a stand to work as a notebook screen when typing with the keyboard or to use as small display to watch videos or digital tv or for presentations (maybe a protective cover doubles as a stand when flipped over ..)
- it will have a bluetooth remote control, reasonably good speakers and - hopefully - a SD-card reader built in
- it will be gorgeous, lightweight and affordable without being cheap and crappy like the windows netbooks
- it will be priced between the iPhone/ iPod touch and the MacBook - let me guess: somewhere between $ 499 with 8 GB and without iWork and $ 799 with 32 or even 64 GB and including iWork
- it will be THE product to present your creative work on the go, to watch video and photos in a group, to work on documents with basic editing while sitting in the bus or on the plane, to check and write emails and much more
- we will be allowed to use our existing apple software on this product without an extra fee
- it will work and synchronise with iTunes on a PC, thus being the entrance to the real mac world for old time PC-customers (they simply will want to buy an OS X-system next time a new notebook or desktop will be needed)
- it can be used like the iPhone, but it can't replace it (because of size), it can be used like a MacBook but it can't replace it (because of lack of keyboard, processing speed, lack of large storing space, limited display resolution, limited connectivity)
- it is simply the perfect companion in between.

- it will be revolutionary
- it will be presented in a special event this summer by Steve Jobs, celebrating his return to the public
- it will be available in time for the holiday season


what do you think?

I think you are on-target with the vision; I just am not so sure of the timing..... I am hoping for this Holiday season, but unless they release it like the iPhone with Apple apps only at first and an SDK and 3rd party apps in 2010, I think the whole thing will be delayed until 2010.... but they have to announce its existance to get people to write apps for it... so perhaps you are right... it is all in the timing.... they already bought the LCD panels, so they will not wait too long to release something.
post #116 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

In what way is the current Mac OS X NOT optimized for multi-touch? (For those who might not know, the new laptops come with multi-touch enabled track pads.)

Hybrid OS? Apple has made it clear that the iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS X.

Does this guy really have a clue?

From an User Interface design standpoint, the current Mac OS X is not optimized for multi-touch. The "multi-touch" trackpad is very different from the multi-touch on the iPhone, even though both of them involve with the use of multiple fingers.

If you're talking about using the netbook/tablet like the way how we use the iPhone, than it is obvious that the current Mac OS X we see today is not suitable for the job. The mouse-pointer paradigm on the current Mac OS X is not intended for touchscreen interface in the first place, so the touchscreen interface needs a new paradigm like the one on the iPhone to make it easy to use. This is why M$'s Tablet PCs are not getting anywhere, despite being on the market for several years.
post #117 of 244
I would love a tablet about this size but I see issues.

There is no way I'm, and I'm sure other, are going to pay for two data services.

If Apple can't make the tablet and the iPhone link together as one device using just one data plan without a tether charge I don't want it. If they want one with it's own data plan that's fine but I want one that links to the iPhone.

It should not be a problem for Apple to do this but it needs to link to at least two iPhones, better would be 5 just like iTunes. That way either I or my wife could share it.

When near a WiFi then any version would just work.

I'd still rather see it look more like a Mac and run Mac programs than an iPhone.
post #118 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I just don't understand why everyone is so in love with this tablet idea. These things have such an exceedingly limited usefulness.

Agree completely. While it's all way cool and stuff, touchy touchy swipey swipey - it isn't a practical form factor for user input. I have an iPhone and fortunately I don't text much, because typing on it is a pain. People can always tell you have an iPhone because you always mistype the same words.

I suppose if I work in a restaurant and need a tablet to build an order taking system, or work in a hospital and need a medical info collection device an Apple tablet might be just the ticket. But I don't do those things - nor do a majority of computer users. Why would I want a tablet for doing this right here - typing words into some snarky web forum? Or for anything else that requires typing, I.E. most all computer activities.

A Netbook makes more sense even if it done the quality, expensive, Apple way. I would consider it. Apple never has made a real replacement for my 12" Powerbook rev A 867MHz which I am using right now.
post #119 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeep View Post

please allow me a prediction from all we have heard and read:

apple's next new product will be spectacular, it will define a new category of products and it will cannibalize neither the iPhone business, nor the MacBook sales. it will be the next, the fourth pillar of Apple's success.

it will be a MacTouch.

-
what do you think?

I STILL SAY "iBook-Touch".
post #120 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Do you EVER have anything nice to say about Apple?

oh dude... don't feed the troll!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to answer netbook market with $500-$700 tablet - report