or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK

Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK

post #1 of 53
An image has surfaced in the latest beta of the iPhone SDK that appears to confirm a new model but also few apparent cosmetic changes.

Discovered by a member of the MacTalk forums, the icon set buried well within the device framework for iPhone SDK beta 5 shows images for iPhone 2,1 -- the internal working name for the next version of Apple's handset.

While it virtually confirms an upcoming replacement for the current iPhone 3G, the small images show a design fundamentally similar to the present-day models, down to references to both black- and white-colored backings. The original iPhone has a visibly different icon than either today's phone or the 2,1 entry.

What this signals isn't necessarily clear. If real representations, the images support notions that the 2009 won't be an external redesign and will instead focus almost exclusively on what's inside. Many expect a faster processor, faster networking and more storage. The chance also exists that the entries serve as placeholders until Apple can comfortably reveal new iPhones in software.

Beta 5 doesn't make any references to iPod 2,2, the expected minor refresh to the iPod touch.
post #2 of 53
How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter us!

Skip
post #3 of 53
the model number will be different from that of iPhone 3G.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #4 of 53
Yeah it means the new model will have a similar form factor OR, more likely, they just used the same icon from previous models. They all look identical to me.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter us!

Skip

tech is always full of hype and never believe the tech rags. no journalistic integrity

Vista and Win7 won't have features originally promised for XP
post #6 of 53
Some people just can't wait until June/July.

Guys, seriously, Apple will amaze, as they usually do. So relax!
post #7 of 53
Quote:

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer

I know! What is with that.
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I know! What is with that.

Some people can only think in extremes. The best case scenario for Palm is that its a decent competitor to the iPhone for the growing consumer, media-phone crowd.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 53
2,1 will differ from 1,2

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #10 of 53
What happened to 3,1?

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

What happened to 3,1?

Probably next year or the year after that. The original iPhone was referred to as iPhone 1,1 and the iPhone 3G was given iPhone 1,2, probably on account that very little internal HW had changed despite the addition of the 3G radios, GPS chip, and new case design.
post #12 of 53
Quote:

How in hell can folks be thinking the Palm Pre is going to be an iPhone Killer, when the damn thing isn't even out, let alone been tested, tried, used or anything yet, by the folks who matter … us!

Skip

Reason = multi-tasking. We all know this. Why it won't be an iPhone killer though - OS X, battery-life, real games, App Store, iTunes integration, content syncing + purchasing etc. There's a lot more to the iPhone, than simply the iPhone - companies will eventually get that. Just like the way the iPod isn't just a click-wheel.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Reason = multi-tasking. We all know this. Why it won't be an iPhone killer though - OS X, real games, App Store, iTunes integration + content syncing etc. There's a lot more to the iPhone, than simply the iPhone - companies will eventually get that. Just like the way the iPod isn't just the iPod isn't just a click-wheel.

Don’t forget, “not on AT&T.” We know that some people will not switch carriers or go to a particular carrier. And some simply won’t buy an iPhone because it’s an iPhone.

PS: Welcome back!
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don’t forget, “not on AT&T.

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop the constant caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop some of the caterwauling on this forum!

I think that would only change the focus of their ululation, not stop it.
post #16 of 53
Quote:

...caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!

You mean there is another ATT caterwauler?

Shesh, I thought I was the only one.

Perhaps we should have a duet.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #17 of 53
Talk about your slow news day.
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

You mean there is another ATT caterwauler?

Shesh, I thought I was the only one.

Perhaps we should have a duet.

There are enough here to start a very large choir. I would love to do my part by making some of you proper Castrati.
post #19 of 53
Slo-o-o-o-o-ow news day, much?
post #20 of 53
To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.
post #21 of 53
Quote:

Sometimes I wish Apple would diversify from ATT only for the reason that it'll stop the constant caterwauling by some on this forum (e.g., he-who-shall-not-be-named)!

\t1.\tcaterwaul - the yowling sound made by a cat in heat
cry - the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries

dude i get the feeling that you are doing home work assignments here . for your how-to-be-an-ugly-loud-american-english-language class.

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTO View Post

To me there does appear to be a slight difference in the current icon and the up coming phone. Either it looks ever so thinner or possibly a lighter color such as silver. And to my eye even the white iPhone icons look like there is a depth difference. The difference is just great enough that I'm ruling out psychological influences or wishful thinking.

hehe I thought the same thing as you and decided that it might be psychological. Even if the image is slightly thinner that doesnt rule out a slightly different rotation. The image is just too small.
post #23 of 53
Why would Apple change the appearance? Apple has a history of introducing a new product and then coasting for several years. Seriously, when was the last time anyone was genuinely surprised by a major Apple product update? I read "long overdue" and "its about time" almost every time Apple updates a product. I'll bet the look of the iPhone doesn't change for another 3 years, Jobs likes it, Apple likes it, they're making plenty of money off of it. Remember, Apple doesn't even really distinguish between the looks of their unibody Macbook and Macbook Pro lines (and think of how long titanium lasted before that), they find what they like and stick to it.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTO View Post

I sense there is a certain 'otherness' about the images which leads me to feel (with other worldly certainty) the 2.1 is 14.3 grams lighter. Wait... I see wheeels... dang nabbit! I am sure this new model has wheels!
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Why would Apple change the appearance? Apple has a history of introducing a new product and then coasting for several years. Seriously, when was the last time anyone was genuinely surprised by a major Apple product update?

Part of the expectation is the significant visual changes between the first 2 iPhones. But that was a different situation. I’d expect any thickening, thinning, sensor or button changes to be technical and everything else stay the same visually.
post #26 of 53
Quote:

AT&T SUCKS- we all know that. Even those with iPhones admit it.
Happy Memorial Day everybody!
Back to my BBQ.
post #27 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AT&T SUCKS- we all know that. Even those with iPhones admit it.
Happy Memorial Day everybody!
Back to my BBQ.

Oh no! I woke him up!!!

Seriously, happy Memorial Day to you too!
post #28 of 53
Quote:

Part of the expectation is the significant visual changes between the first 2 iPhones. But that was a different situation. I’d expect any thickening, thinning, sensor or button changes to be technical and everything else stay the same visually.

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC. Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.
post #29 of 53
Quote:

Probably next year or the year after that. The original iPhone was referred to as iPhone 1,1 and the iPhone 3G was given iPhone 1,2, probably on account that very little internal HW had changed despite the addition of the 3G radios, GPS chip, and new case design.

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC. Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C View Post

The Iphone 3,1 will be released at the LATEST next year, definitely not the year after. It is still expected to release within 2009 alongside the 2,1 or at an event close to WWDC.

How can you be so sure? If they keep the RAM and CPU for another year would they not follow the same naming convention as the first two iPhones and go with iPhone 2,2 instead of iPhone 3,1, or are you speculating that well see a dramatic change in all the core HW now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity?

Quote:
Also keep in mind that both the Iphone 2,1 and Iphone 3,1 were intended to use the 3.0 software.

Im not sure I follow this sentence. We have no evidence of a device named iPhone 3,1 so how can you be sure that its intended for v3.0. All we can deduce is that iPhone 1,1; iPhone 1,2 and iPhone 2,1 will be getting v3.0.
post #31 of 53
Skip, The Palm platform was such a resounding success in it's day that people continue to have strong positive feelings towards it. Until they went to Win CE as an OS they were the ones to beat. The iPhone and OSX are now the leaders in terms of app dev/selection/etc.

The one thing that I'd like to see - across the board - is a good development system to once again allow the everyday man/woman to create their own apps on Macs and iPhone/iPod Touch. Something like a revamped Hypercard would be terrific with today's gear.

Won't happen anytime soon, but we can still hope!

Stan

www.giftcardsfordinner.com <- help the unemployed
www.theirfavoritebooks.com <- review site for children's picture books

Quote:

Skip
post #32 of 53
[QUOTE=solipsism;1421480]How can you be so sure? If they keep the RAM and CPU for another year would they not follow the same naming convention as the first two iPhones and go with iPhone 2,2 instead of iPhone 3,1, or are you speculating that well see a dramatic change in all the core HW now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity?

Im not sure I follow this sentence. We have no evidence of a device named iPhone 3,1 so how can you be sure that its intended for v3.0. All we can deduce is that iPhone 1,1; iPhone 1,2 and iPhone 2,1 will be getting v3.0.[/QUOT

To answer your questions above, I am speculating that we'll see a change in the core hardware now that media-focused smartphones are gaining in popularity. Dramatic? Maybe. And yes we can deduce that those iphones will be receiving v3.0. and we do have evidence of a device called Iphone 3,1 it has been found in the code. So it is completely reasonable to assume that it is intended for a 3.x version of the software. Or maybe not. Could be a joke by apple.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C View Post

… and we do have evidence of a device called Iphone 3,1 it has been found in the code. So it is completely reasonable to assume that it is intended for a 3.x version of the software. Or maybe not. Could be a joke by apple.

Quite right you are, as stated in the forgotten, at least by me, recent AI article. If both models are in the v3.0 code and they are incrementing the first digit I think we may see the first high and low-end iPhone models come about that are more than just a capacity difference. Thanks for the reminder.
post #34 of 53
Unfortunately they had to revert to plastic due to the antenna interference from the metal. Yet the aluminum felt a million times better in my hand. So I say Apple please figure something out and make it metal again, you know you want to.
Here is my idea. Enlarge the logo on the back (a big clack Apple like the iMac please*) and fabricate it out of plastic, acrylic or whatever so the antennas could be packed behind the hole in the body.
I dunno maybe that won't work but they have pulled off some clever tricks before. Heck they use the wire in earphones before as antennas on other brands.
post #35 of 53
Quote:

Quite right you are, as stated in the forgotten, at least by me, recent AI article. If both models are in the v3.0 code and they are incrementing the first digit I think we may see the first high and low-end iPhone models come about that are more than just a capacity difference. Thanks for the reminder.

No problem. That's what I hope to see anyway. We'll all know soon enough
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan View Post

Keep in mind that at the last WWD[sic] we were told that we would have background apps with 2.0.

No, we werent. We were told that Push Notifications would come in September.
post #37 of 53
Quote:

Sorry, you're correct, but mistaken on your timeline, September was the last time it was promised and it's the end of May 2009 and still not delivered.

No, I’m not. You stated that at the last WWDC we would get background apps, I informed you that we were told we’d be getting PN in September. No speculation required as you can DL the podcast of WWDC 2008. Scott Forestal starts talking about PN 55 minutes in.

Quote:
WWD 2008 was when we were told we didn't need background apps.

We were never told that we don’t need them, we were given data that led up to believe that PN was more efficient for most tasks, which it is, but there are clearly apps that can’t work with PN. The current and original iPhones don’t have sufficient HW for OS X to run 3rd-party background apps well. Regardless of when background apps come no current iPhone will get them unless Apple can severely reduce the system load of the current OS, which is highly unlikely.

PS: We were also informed at the iPhone SDK special event earlier this year in March why PN was delayed.
post #38 of 53
These two images seem to indicate that they are different. Notice the black border in the first and white border in the second image. This is from the Mactalk thread directly.

But I remembered that Steve used to insert skewed images where the left edge angles down to a shorter right edge and that this was a presentation effect.

Quote:

hehe I thought the same thing as you and decided that it might be psychological. Even if the image is slightly thinner that doesn’t rule out a slightly different rotation. The image is just too small.

Edit: Even Les Posen talks about it in the first para after the iTunes 7 image.
--

There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone.
--

There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone.
post #39 of 53
Quote:

Solipsism, your knowledge and twisting an article on the internet is infamous in this forum to try and get your point across. You come across as someone that is immature & trying to get his way regardless of the outcome.

You will pull out your thesaurus and quote me on 100 articles that are irrelevant and really have no answer to my question other than Apple said it wasn't meant for the time.

2 questions.

1. Do you have push notification?
2. Do you have background apps that every mature mobile phone has (Android isn't even a year old).

Dont quote battery life because its already been proven that even with 2.0 the iPhone lags behind or barely is equal to other Mobile OSs that have both push and background.

Apple needs to rewrite their entire mobile OS to compete with the current Market.

I'm sure they are in the process but it's 2009 and we have 2 mature OS's and Android that did it in less than a year.

Per your MO you are resorting to personal attacks and trolling, which arent working, when your fallacies have been called out. Your claims that background apps were promised and that it would come with v2.0, neither of which were true and which are easily proven by watching the video podcast I mentioned earlier.

1) I do have PN on my iPhone. It is working great, though the overlay app needs to be completely revamped.
2) Of course I dont have background apps, but that has been explained to you. You harping on battery is but a mere single aspect to the issue at hand.

Stating that iPhone OS should have background apps running just as easily as Android simply because they emerged around the same time period means that you havent considered the OS or the HW for these mobile OSes. It also means that you havent considered the developer side of this, either.

I dont know what your pseudonym was prior to this new name Seahawk Fan, but its clear that this is not your first attempt to post on this forum. I find your PoV regarding looking up statistics instead of just making suff as poor research and your assumption that my lexiconic repertoire is the result of a thesaurus and/or dictionary amusing, as I have most definitely looked up each and every word that I write in a book at some point over my life, and most likely many times over. Research is one way in which we learn. Its also how we make statements that can be held up as factual, something you may wish to consider before posting more of your delusions.
post #40 of 53
I don't know what you've been smoking Seahawk Fan, but Solipsism made it quite clear from Apple's perspectives about background vs push etc.

Apple never offered, nor said, they would ever offer background applications, and while it is probable that they will when the processor, battery and RAM picks up, at the current time it isn't appropriate.

Apple decided however, to make a more scalable, single background application that would fill perhaps 70% of developer's requests for how best to simulate background via the Push Notification Service.

Compared to background apps, they say that the battery toll will be quite minimal, and provide testing details to specify what that will be.

You stated that the frameworks aren't good enough and are simply made bad and don't scale to background. I can see where your logic comes from, but perhaps you aren't a developer and don't understand why Apple allowed their OS to be as "bloated" as it is.

The iPhone OS isn't lightweight for a mobile platform. This much is obvious. But if you look at Cocoa Touch, and the platform as a whole, the reasons for such "bloat" becomes obvious also: its makes for a richer platform. Building with Cocoa Touch provides a complex application environment of the level that, in many cases, matches Cocoa on the Mac. I doubt you can say the same for the frameworks on other platforms. Apple has elected to make its OS more powerful, but this does directly take a toll on hardware resources.

Other applications on other platforms are more lightweight. When we as developers create an app, there is overhead from the API's, that while being efficient, have to cater for EVERYTHING rather than specializing to the way that we want to use them. If we want a very, very lightweight way to do things, we sometimes have to do it ourselves. Nevertheless, overall, the platform is desktop-class, on a portable device.

So how does this affect background? Putting 20 applications into background at the same time will affect the system, with effect intensity depending on how inefficiently the developer coded the app to handle background. But nevertheless, with a complicated and complex OS, compromises have to be made. The system won't handle it at the current stage unless its done extremely efficiently, and with so many developers who don't know what they're doing and are being very reckless with their applications, your system will take the toll. Apple has elected that you really don't need this.

The iPhone's OS is being made more efficient every day, but battery life and standby time is something that you will take a toll on if you want such a capable OS. Apple will work on it, but you need to realize that and accept it, or get another phone. Background will only make the situation worse, and Apple decided for third party apps, at the current time, they just doesn't trust developers. And rightfully so. I've system-tested many apps from the store and they are generally woeful resource hogs. Don't blame Apple from trying to protect you from developers who don't know what they're doing, and from a situation that could be rather detrimental to the phone.

I expect iPhone OS 4.0 to have strictly controlled background applications, and I welcome it, but at the present time? I think Apple's done the best they can in the circumstances. Perhaps you should speak when you know a little more of the situation at hand. If you're still not happy? Get another phone on one of the platforms you named.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Icon for iPhone 2,1 appears in latest iPhone SDK