or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report

Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report - Page 2

post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Even so... would you want to take a photo after putting your greasy fingers all over the lens to play music?

I'm just commenting on the landscape vs vertical position of a camera, or the iPhone, when taking pictures.

Most compact cameras, the ones with those little lenses, have them at the top right side, looking at the front of the camera.
post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know. Most pictures are taken in landscape.

That's an excellent point.

Indeed, I had a nagging suspicion that there was something amiss with folders of iPhone photos and was never able to put my finger on it..... now I know!
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iLounge is corroborating a recent rumor that has the third-generation iPod nano gaining a point-and-shoot digital camera similar to the one found on the iPhone."

You mean fourth-generation iPod nano.
post #44 of 89
Perhaps ipods get the 3.2, while the Iphone receive the 5.0 megapixel camera's?
post #45 of 89
Now why would Apple think the public needs a Nano with a camera? You can't send the pics -so why go through the hassle? I agree with the poster who says all phones already have them and you can send them both MMS and download them bluetooth. Just doesn't seem very practical.
And what about the lawsuits when people start snapping those pics at the gyms?
post #46 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

You mean fourth-generation iPod nano.

Perhaps we're going stumpy again...
post #47 of 89
Quote:
with a screen aspect ratio of 1.5:1, up from 1.33:1

1.5:1 makes no sense to me (except that some still cameras use that ratio). All new TV production is 1.79:1 and movies are either 1.85 or 2.39:1, except for some European productions where some are 1.66:1. Only pre-1954 movies are 1.33:1. You don't want to letterbox such a small screen. While 1.5:1 is better than 1.33:1, it's still not wide enough.
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

you're upside down!

zo ɟo zuǝ
(¡ʇıɯɯɐp) uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'ou
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm starting to think all these "rumors" that these "experts" come up with are really from their brainstorming sessions.
It seems like they're starting to pull them out of thin air now.

which is pretty much like what some of the stuff you come out with

I don't buy it, at least not until we see some "fake" pics, you know the ones that have been right for how many years now, but the crazies still shout "FAAAKE!" like the are the godz of photoshop
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

post #50 of 89
haha isn't this one of them?

EDIT: if you search over to iLounge, you will notice that this informant has been 100% accurate in the past. iLounge doesn't report often due to the fact they're very very careful about public image it seems, but when they do post, its generally quite accurate. The 4th Gen rumors came from there.
post #51 of 89
Quote:

EDIT: if you search over to iLounge, you will notice that this informant has been 100% accurate in the past. iLounge doesn't report often due to the fact they're very very careful about public image it seems, but when they do post, its generally quite accurate. The 4th Gen rumors came from there.

Well iLounge was certainly 100% right on their review of the new shuffle- they panned it.
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

1.5:1 makes no sense to me

Except the fact that the iPhone and iPod touch use this ratio?
post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I miss Apple the Computer Company

iPhone is a computer in many respects. Look back ten years at the mobile industry's hardware and software. Consider what we currently have......now look ahead five to ten years. I foresee the waning importance of the home desktop in the future as these little devices become more capable/powerful.

Who here thinks the matte black back looks kick ass besides me!
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now why would Apple think the public needs a Nano with a camera? You can't send the pics -so why go through the hassle? I agree with the poster who says all phones already have them and you can send them both MMS and download them bluetooth. Just doesn't seem very practical.
And what about the lawsuits when people start snapping those pics at the gyms?

You can use the pics once you get to iTunes on your computer. Who knows, maybe they will be getting WiFi?

anyway, you can take pics at the gym with your phone.
post #55 of 89
Quote:

aahh, the Thot Plickens!

post #56 of 89
Quote:

You can use the pics once you get to iTunes on your computer. Who knows, maybe they will be getting WiFi?

anyway, you can take pics at the gym with your phone.

Phones are banned at my gym.
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

1.5:1 makes no sense to me (except that some still cameras use that ratio). All new TV production is 1.79:1 and movies are either 1.85 or 2.39:1, except for some European productions where some are 1.66:1. Only pre-1954 movies are 1.33:1. You don't want to letterbox such a small screen. While 1.5:1 is better than 1.33:1, it's still not wide enough.

The 3:2 ratio is that of the (D)SLR camera. Movies are different to pictures: you don't shoot movies in vertical orientation. And a 1.8:1 or 2.4:1 ration would look silly for portrait photos.
post #58 of 89
Quote:

Must be because something about you makes them nervous....
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Must be because something about you makes them nervous....

No- more like they're banned so people can't be be blabbering on them like they way you post your thoughts on here incessantly.
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...According to the report, new models will arrive sometime between July and August with a screen aspect ratio of 1.5:1, up from 1.33:1 on the current fourth-generation model. ...

if this is a change that can be done, why does everyone squawk when there are rumors of an iPhone pad or nano with a larger/smaller/different aspect screen, claiming such a change would require a rewrite of the whole phone OS?

is it because the phone has a touch screen and the other pods don't? how exactly does that make the resolution/dimensions issue so much different?

besides: 1.5:1 is the same as 3:2 and 6:4. 4x6 is a pretty standard print format. And while people talk a lot about 8x10 prints, many printers today utilize paper that can produce an 8 x 12 for the same price (they print the 8x10 on 8x12 paper and trim the unused waste) and for a variety of reasons the 8 x 12 is a superior format to 8x10.
post #61 of 89
Quote:

No- more like they're banned so people can't be be blabbering on them like they way you post your thoughts on here incessantly.

Teckstud, I am accepting applications for a website forums bodyguard. Will you protect me from the unwashed masses?
post #62 of 89
Quote:

I don't know. Most pictures are taken in landscape.

Unless you shoot portraits for a living.
post #63 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven C View Post

Perhaps ipods get the 3.2, while the Iphone receive the 5.0 megapixel camera's?

iPhone and touch, one would hope.
post #64 of 89
Quote:

What if it's a portrait of a landscape?
post #65 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

I miss Apple the Computer Company

You mean the one that would have gone out of business 5 years ago without the iPod?
post #66 of 89
This is quite funny actually:

"countries with the most capable wireless networks, like the United States"

If there is a western country that does not have particularly capable wireless networks, it is the United States.

Just to put 7,2 MBit into perspective: In Sweden two major operators (3/tre and Telia) both offer mobile broadband at up to 21 MBit.

4th generation networks aiming for speeds well in excess of 100 MBit are being deployed towards the end of this year with commercial launch in 2010.
post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

I love how with the 1st gen iPhone, apple used this beautiful matte-aluminium for the back face, but once it needed to be mass-produced, plastic took over ... I don't care if it's shiny black, white, or is covered in gold leaf, plastic feels cheap to me, and I love my 1st gen iPhone. Wish they'd go back to that. My guess was that the switch also had something to do with blocking the wifi/telephone signal though, not just price cuts.

So you mean your guess is that the reason Apple gave for the switch is the correct reason for the switch? Way to go out on a limb there
post #68 of 89
Quote:

Actually, it's better for the 3G and GPS to have plastic rather than metal.

Yeah, I thought that's what it must have been, pity they couldn't have stuck to the original 1/4 plastic design though. It did look (& feel) nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

which is pretty much like what some of the stuff you come out with

I don't buy it, at least not until we see some "fake" pics, you know the ones that have been right for how many years now, but the crazies still shout "FAAAKE!" like the are the godz of photoshop

Hehehe. Well I do make a mean fake: http://www.jimzip.com/gallery/ (At the bottom. )

But please, I prefer the term 'designer'. 'God' is just much too lofty!

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

if this is a change that can be done, why does everyone squawk when there are rumors of an iPhone pad or nano with a larger/smaller/different aspect screen, claiming such a change would require a rewrite of the whole phone OS?

is it because the phone has a touch screen and the other pods don't? how exactly does that make the resolution/dimensions issue so much different?

besides: 1.5:1 is the same as 3:2 and 6:4. 4x6 is a pretty standard print format. And while people talk a lot about 8x10 prints, many printers today utilize paper that can produce an 8 x 12 for the same price (they print the 8x10 on 8x12 paper and trim the unused waste) and for a variety of reasons the 8 x 12 is a superior format to 8x10.

True, true.
post #70 of 89
Quote:

Still, MOST pictures are taken in landscape.
post #71 of 89
Quote:

You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait til the iTVs arrive- to be followed by the iCameras, iRefrigerators, iAirconditioners etc. But they're all still computers because they'll all sport app widgets running off some sort of OS.

Bullshit, as usual.

You have no understanding whatsoever of the company you love to comment on.
post #72 of 89
Quote:

What are these countries with superfast download speeds? (apart from S. Korea natch)

Australia has 14-20 Mbps (I think) but only through 1 carrier.
post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Are they criminals or something. They can wear gloves you know. That way no one knows.

The screen only works without gloves.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #74 of 89
Quote:

Still, MOST pictures are taken in landscape.

True enough for me. (In pre-digital days, I used to moonlight as a photographer selling 'landscapes' for office foyers, postcards and calendars).

But a sampling of our photo collection (of over 40,000 shots), shows that my wife (a newspaper reporter) takes, albeit by a small margin, MOSTLY portrait photos.
post #75 of 89
Quote:

People f in the sauna at my gym.
post #76 of 89
Quote:

What are these countries with superfast download speeds? (apart from S. Korea natch)

japan has had high speed for years now. this seems like a good list if you want the speicifcs to your question answered: List_of_HSDPA_networks

i guess pertinent to you living in america with an iphone: "AT&T is operating a 3G/HSDPA network, called BroadbandConnect, currently in most metropolitan markets. Speeds up to 7.2 Mbit/s are available in most markets. Areas that use UMTS instead of HSUPA as the uplink protocol are limited to 1.8 Mbit/s speeds."
post #77 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsx View Post

japan has had high speed for years now. this seems like a good list if you want the speicifcs to your question answered: List_of_HSDPA_networks

Regardless of the speed these networks have offered, in relation to phones there are no chipsets Im aware of that can take the 20Mbps speeds and sure the weak ARM processors and low RAM could even handle that much data at one time at this point. Wes these radios as USB and EC/34 cards first where size and power usage is less of an issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziwan View Post

"countries with the most capable wireless networks, like the United States"

Is this a joke? Seriously, I know that in regards to mobile telephony, AI is oblivious to where the rest of the world (you know, those countries outside the US) stands, but this is low even for their standards. Guys, you started doing commercial-scale HSDPA deployments a year ago. The rest of the world's been there for at least 2 years longer.

lol was thinking the same thing....I thought it was just recently that the iPhone 3G was able to be released in North America. Oh btw, 4G is already being demoed in many places i.e. Korea and Japan.
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Regardless of the speed these networks have offered, in relation to phones there are no chipsets Im aware of that can take the 20Mbps speeds and sure the weak ARM processors and low RAM could even handle that much data at one time at this point. Wes these radios as USB and EC/34 cards first where size and power usage is less of an issue.

Try an TI OMAP3640.

However you've answered your own argument it's not a "weak ARM processor" and "low RAM" that are the problem it's the fact that since you only really need about 5Mbit/s even for high quality video streaming and in the absence of a large screen and flash you don't even need 5Mbit for a decent web experience. What on earth is the point in building a handset that drinks power servicing a 20Mbit/s channel when you can just build it in to a laptop instead since the only current application for that amount of bandwidth in a mobile device is tethering it to a laptop?

Also as has been pointed out even 7.2Mbit/s is mostly marketing lies in order to actually get that you'd have to have utterly optimum radio conditions and be the only connecting terminal and therefore get all 15 downstream channels available to HSDPA. As soon as someone makes a voice call *wham* you lose a channel. Current standards can get as far as 21Mbit/s but the same comments apply. Interim standards before LTE might get to 42Mbit/s

As far as can be told iPhone 3G has a 3.6Mbit/s HSDPA capability which is the commercially sensible thing to do since:

- It takes less power to run the radio
- Even on a 7.2Mbit/s capable network the vast majority of the time you *won't* be under optimum radio conditions and will be connecting at a lower speed
- Even in locales with advanced HSDPA rollouts (UK Voda has had it for at least 2 years) generally 7.2Mbit/s (or faster) service is only available on city centres terminals in sub-urban areas are still only going to be connecting at 3.6Mbit/s or lower.

Apple are selling a product which fulfils a function rather than engaging in pointless specification willy waving. If the are updating the radio to 7.2Mbit/s that will mean that they have got agreement from the telcos to build out 7.2Mbit/s to a point where it is worthwhile having it in the terminal.
post #80 of 89
delete
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple prepping iPod nano with camera, three new iPhones - report