or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune HD is real, will get multi-touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft says Zune HD is real, will get multi-touch - Page 4

post #121 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The price difference isn't significant. The Samsung i8910 8GB with 3.7" capacitive OLED screen is cheaper than the current iPhone 3G 8GB (£70 on a £30pm/18 month contract vs £100 on a £30pm/18 month contract).

so it sounds like a forgone conclusion the iPhone will have OLED screen, probably this year. Where are the Pre fanboys? All of a sudden multiple "web apps" on Sprint doesn't seem as enticing. Another iPhone killer, kicked to the curb.
post #122 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yup, "freezing the market" as it is sometimes called. Used to happen in the telecom industry a lot in the early 2000s (Lucent Technologies used to be Exhibit A with this tactic). It used to work somewhat well when the do-er was big and do-ee was small. It's not going to work for Microsoft: Apple's way beyond this now.

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Even though (I think) the US Department of Justice should really be looking at behavior like this, there is no law against it.

Why should the US Department of Justice be looking into it when there is no law against it? Their job is to enforce the laws, not set precedents for new ones or govern ethics and/or morals.

Thompson
post #123 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If you've never seen a modern OLED screen in action, you won't know what the fuss is about.

I didn't until a couple of days ago when a friend showed me his new Samsung phone with a 3.7" OLED screen. I thought the display on my iPod touch was pretty good but the difference was staggering. The colours looked so much more vivid and lifelike on the OLED screen. My iPod touch's screen is incredibly pixelated and washed out in comparison.

Do consumers care about acronyms? No. Do they care about picture quality? Yes! I certainly do. I fully expect the new iPhone (and hopefully iPod touch) will have an OLED screen.

Is your Touch the 1Gen or 2nd? There was a significant upgrade between the two. That's not saying I wouldn't mind having an OLED instead nevertheless.
And all this talk about they'll get it once it's proven, consiracy in the markets, blah , blah , blah- wasn't Apple close to last to get LED in it's laptops and close to last to switch from CRTs?
post #124 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

wasn't Apple...the last to switch from CRTs?

Nope. iMac G4 launched in January of 2002, (that would be over 7 years ago) complete with LCD screen, standard. People like you complained back then about how expensive the technology was at the time.

Edit: nice edit on your previous post, adding "close to last"
Edit#2: they did, however, continue the iMac g3 for a period, to accomodate those who didn't want to spend the extra money for the new LCD screen. But maybe I'm wrong, since Apple is all about high prices and limited choice, right?
post #125 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The price difference isn't significant. The Samsung i8910 8GB with 3.7" capacitive OLED screen is cheaper than the current iPhone 3G 8GB (£70 on a £30pm/18 month contract vs £100 on a £30pm/18 month contract).

I am not asking about price after carrier subsidies and such. That might be comparing apples and oranges, for all I know.

Specifically, by how much might it increase the cost of manufacturing an iPhone or Touch?

And, if as you claim, the price difference isn't that "significant," why do OLED TVs cost so much more?
post #126 of 181
What an ugly piece of shit. Throw some physical buttons on there and you have your grandma's remote control for her old Zenith TV! So they think yellow gold is the color of choice? Might as well go back to shit-brown. Typical Microsoft and their misleading advertising of Zune HD. Customers will ask, can it playback HD content? Uh, no.
post #127 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I agree.



Why should the US Department of Justice be looking into it when there is no law against it? Their job is to enforce the laws, not set precedents for new ones or govern ethics and/or morals.

Thompson

That is why I prefaced it with "I think." Meant as short-hand for something along the lines of "if it was up to me," or "if I was making the law...."
post #128 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Nope. iMac G4 launched in January of 2002, (that would be over 7 years ago) complete with LCD screen, standard. People like you complained back then about how expensive the technology was at the time.

You should review your Apple History: after Apple claimed the CRT was dead in January 2002, they released the eMac in April 2002, with a big CRT inside, and continued to make the eMac until 2005.
post #129 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Edit#2: they did, however, continue the iMac g3 for a period, to accomodate those who didn't want to spend the extra money for the new LCD screen. But maybe I'm wrong, since Apple is all about high prices and limited choice, right?

Yes, you are wrong. Apple discontinued the iMac G3 when the iMac G4 was announced. The iMac G4 was not overpriced as you claimed. The iMac G4 was $1,299, the same price as the original iMac G3. No one complained about high prices of LCD-based iMacs.
post #130 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You should review your Apple History: after Apple claimed the CRT was dead in January 2002, they released the eMac in April 2002, with a big CRT inside, and continued to make the eMac until 2005.

note my edit at 12:10...they continued the g3 design for those who couldn't afford the LCD (hence eMac). The point is they readily adopted LCD in their primary line of desktops.
post #131 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Yes, you are wrong. Apple discontinued the iMac G3 when the iMac G4 was announced. The iMac G4 was not overpriced as you claimed. The iMac G4 was $1,299, the same price as the original iMac G3. No one complained about high prices of LCD-based iMacs.

i'm curious where your pricing info is coming from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4

Third paragraph - "However, the LCD iMacs were unable to match the low price point of the previous iMac G3s, largely because of the higher cost of the LCD technology at the time.
"
post #132 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Typical Microsoft and their misleading advertising of Zune HD. Customers will ask, can it playback HD content? Uh, no.

While it is a bit misleading its nothing that other companies wouldnt do. The HD can mean anything they want it to, but they do include HD radio and 720p HD video output, which means that the device can playback HD content, just not output on HD from the internal display.

Overall, it looks to be a good product (for MS) and hope that they come back with a version of WinMo that is more inline with their interface, which I think is much nicer than the iPod OS or iPhone OS X in many regards. That said, Ill be sticking with my iPhone for the foreseeable future as the ecosystem convenience is important to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #133 of 181
Widescreen aspect ratio would be cool...IF they did it in a way other than going to a LOWER resolution than the ipod touch. Great, instead of bars, we're just going to totally leave those pixels off.

I do like the external HD playback although only having 720 seems like a stopgap measure, if you're going to make that jump, do it right.
post #134 of 181
Cool! Bring it on! The Touch is great, but perhaps I should have held out for the new Zune.
post #135 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2624 View Post

Cool! Bring it on! The Touch is great, but perhaps I should have held out for the new Zune.

Depends what you use it for. The apps are a major selling point for the iphone and touch, and it remains to be seen if the zune will be able to match that. Especially since it's a chicken and egg situation - if you're a third party dev, do you risk coding for a platform that is so far behind in market share?
post #136 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

i'm curious where your pricing info is coming from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_G4

Third paragraph - "However, the LCD iMacs were unable to match the low price point of the previous iMac G3s, largely because of the higher cost of the LCD technology at the time.
"

That info looks erroneous, according to MacTracker. The flat panel iMac, a design I still love, first arrived with a G4 at 700MHz in January 2002 starting at $1,299. Six months prior, the CRT G3 iMac arrived with a 700MHz processor and costing $1,499. The HDD drive size, RAM and pretty much all the other options look to be about the same.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #137 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

...often they float these annoucements to create FUD...

You beat me to the punch.
"Often"?
Try always.
Keep in mind that this is Microsoft's MO. Announce vaporware to freeze the market, then come out with crap after the competition has been frozen out by people waiting for the MS product. Started with Dr DOS and apparently continues as their business model through today.
The difference is it won't work this time... they're trying it against the industry leader and that technique only works against upstarts that they can kill off.

For god's sake, they can't even size their font properly to display a word properly IN THEIR PROMOTIONAL MOCK UPS!!!
post #138 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2624 View Post

Cool! Bring it on! The Touch is great, but perhaps I should have held out for the new Zune.

banging... head... against... wall...
post #139 of 181
Hi everybody ! (my first post on AI )

Just one simple fact to all those whining about the "low" screen resolution of the zune and/or other mobile devices :

The human eye has a "resolution" of about 130 ppi at a distance of 25cm, so I think that 160 is pretty much, considering that this is more than what your eye is capable of seeing, unless you are using a microscope to have a look at it.
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #140 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

The fact that it can't play HD movies and tv shows on the actual device is deffinitely a turn off for me. I have purchased a lot of HD content from itunes for my iPhone and there is a significant difference between SD and HD. I think my iPhone picture looks amazing. What's the point of calling it a Zune HD if it can't even play HD content on the device itself?

Uhhhh.... ...just for the record, you don't think you're watching HD content on your iPhone's 480x320 screen do you? As by all definitions of HD, that ain't happening.

Also, I'm too lazy to look it up today, but there are devices/programs which squish files or use squished files from a large hard drive to better fit when downloaded onto a device which can't use all their resolution. Dunno (make that don't remember) where the squishing happens in the iDevice ecosystem (permanent/on the fly/during download/at playback), nor whether HD source material available in iPod readable formats actually looks better than SD, but in neither case are you watching HD, and theoretically SD downloads should be delivering every pixel you can see on your iPhone.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #141 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You beat me to the punch.
"Often"?
Try always.
Keep in mind that this is Microsoft's MO. Announce vaporware to freeze the market, then come out with crap after the competition has been frozen out by people waiting for the MS product. Started with Dr DOS and apparently continues as their business model through today.
The difference is it won't work this time... they're trying it against the industry leader and that technique only works against upstarts that they can kill off.

For god's sake, they can't even size their font properly to display a word properly IN THEIR PROMOTIONAL MOCK UPS!!!

So let me get this straight... You're now bashing Microsoft for announcing what the next zune will have? Listen buddy, I don't mean to be insulting here, but you're really reaching for reasons to hate Microsoft. Why don't you try thinking a little bit before posting? Here, lets apply your unwavering logic to something other than this geeky crap... CARS! Hey, that new Prius was announced, everyone stop buying hybrids! TOYOTA'S FREEZING THE MARKET! OH MY GOD.

It's so much easier to go along with the crowd around here, isnt it? Reading this thread has been absolutely hilarious. Bashing this zune for the reasons I've seen shows complete idiotic fanboyism. I saw the same thing with the Pre threads.

For as long as I live, I'll never understand fanboys. Do you people act so biased over everything? Seriously, please someone answer me this question! Do you eat nectarines and then bash prunes and act as though your decision to go with the nectarine instead of the prune makes you highly intelligent? What about fast food? Do you follow Chik-fil-a news and then blow shit all over your pants when McDonalds announces a new sandwich? Perhaps you only buy a single brand of car?

All I can say is, nowhere else on the internet have I seen such lunacy. When news about Apple products pops up on PC forums, there might be a few slight biased posts, but nothing as extreme as I see around here. For the most part, PC geeks are technology geeks, while Mac "geeks" are just ignorant people who spent money on something and then convinced themselves they could do no wrong ever because of that purchase decision.

I digress. This thing isn't even out yet and everyone's already flipping their lid over it. Why don't you people wait until a product is out before writing it off as something crappy because Apple didn't make it.
post #142 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

When news about Apple products pops up on PC forums, there might be a few slight biased posts, but nothing as extreme as I see around here.

I don't know which forums you have read, but there are definitely some forums where you can find PC-fanboys trashing apple like it is done the other way here (and even worse ...)

But I agree that some people here are looking at everything through apples
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity." - Albert Einstein
Reply
post #143 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So let me get this straight... You're now bashing Microsoft for announcing what the next zune will have? Listen buddy, I don't mean to be insulting here, but you're really reaching for reasons to hate Microsoft. Why don't you try thinking a little bit before posting? Here, lets apply your unwavering logic to something other than this geeky crap... CARS! Hey, that new Prius was announced, everyone stop buying hybrids! TOYOTA'S FREEZING THE MARKET! OH MY GOD.

It's so much easier to go along with the crowd around here, isnt it? Reading this thread has been absolutely hilarious. Bashing this zune for the reasons I've seen shows complete idiotic fanboyism. I saw the same thing with the Pre threads.

For as long as I live, I'll never understand fanboys. Do you people act so biased over everything? Seriously, please someone answer me this question! Do you eat nectarines and then bash prunes and act as though your decision to go with the nectarine instead of the prune makes you highly intelligent? What about fast food? Do you follow Chik-fil-a news and then blow shit all over your pants when McDonalds announces a new sandwich? Perhaps you only buy a single brand of car?

All I can say is, nowhere else on the internet have I seen such lunacy. When news about Apple products pops up on PC forums, there might be a few slight biased posts, but nothing as extreme as I see around here. For the most part, PC geeks are technology geeks, while Mac "geeks" are just ignorant people who spent money on something and then convinced themselves they could do no wrong ever because of that purchase decision.

I digress. This thing isn't even out yet and everyone's already flipping their lid over it. Why don't you people wait until a product is out before writing it off as something crappy because Apple didn't make it.

Actually, a lot of people are bashing Microsoft for the simple reason that they seem to be able to little more than trot out me-too products.... look at what the various forums are saying with respect to their proposed new search engine, for example (Kumo or Bing or whatever it's called).

The larger issue is, people are getting increasingly frustrated by an American tech giant ($180B in mkt cap) that seems to be stuck in a rut, and seems to have become incapable of pushing the innovation envelope.

Plus, I think -- although I don't personally have an issue -- it may have something to do with Steve Ballmer too.
post #144 of 181
Sink as much money as you can into it MS, please!

While your at it sink billions into XBox and Search too!
post #145 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

I don't know which forums you have read, but there are definitely some forums where you can find PC-fanboys trashing apple like it is done the other way here (and even worse ...)

But I agree that some people here are looking at everything through apples

I definitely see it every once in a while, but there tend to be a lot more people there like me who set them straight. Its not often I see an entire thread of people acting that way. I feel like when I do see it, it's usually a younger crowd trying to say things they think everyone will agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, a lot of people are bashing Microsoft for the simple reason that they seem to be able to little more than trot out me-too products.... look at what the various forums are saying with respect to their proposed new search engine, for example (Kumo or Bing or whatever it's called).

The larger issue is, people are getting increasingly frustrated by an American tech giant ($180B in mkt cap) that seems to be stuck in a rut, and seems to have become incapable of pushing the innovation envelope.

Plus, I think -- although I don't personally have an issue -- it may have something to do with Steve Ballmer too.

Steve Ballmer doesn't exactly help their image. He looks like such an enormous ass. I bet he eats kittens.

I understand why people would bash Microsoft in general. What I don't understand is why they bash every single thing they do. It doesn't matter what it is.

A product like this is COOL. Oled screen, hd video out, hd radio? That's pretty cool technology. Instead of saying, "Yeah they've got a decent product there" I see people ignoring the product, and instead focusing on who made it. With the Pre discussions I see people saying it's not as good as an iphone before anyone even has one.

Like I said, PC geeks tend to be interested in technology no matter who makes it while Apple geeks don't really care about anything unless Apple is behind it.
post #146 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The larger issue is, people are getting increasingly frustrated by an American tech giant ($180B in mkt cap) that seems to be stuck in a rut, and seems to have become incapable of pushing the innovation envelope.
.

That's sort of where I'm coming from too. I don't necessarily "care" that microsoft is so inept; its more that i take pleasure in watching them bleed slowly while other companies beat them to EVERY punch. What Apple and Google have done to Microsoft in the last 10 years is a disgrace (to microsoft) MS has been utterly asleep at the wheel on every front. I switched to Mac 4 years ago and have been qutie happy. I've convinced some other people to switch as well, and they've ALL been quite satisfied. Maybe i'm a jerk for enjoying Microsoft suffer, but the fact of the matter is they really do make third-rate products. The xbox is the exception. The zune is decent, but it's too little too late.

The ZuneHD genuinely looks to be a solid device. However it will always be the #1 second-banana. In other words, it will be the leading non-apple PMP, which is perfectly fine (i'd rather be #2 than #3, or 4 or 5, etc). Real success for the Zune HD hinges entirely on Xbox integration, which we'll see at E3 next week. If they can make it compelling enough for Xbox owners (MS's largest installed base outside of windows) then I can definitely see a lot of Xbox owners opting for the ZHD. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.
post #147 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

With the Pre discussions I see people saying it's not as good as an iphone before anyone even has one.

Plenty of Pre fans tout the Pre as an Iphone killer, so let's not assume it's all iPhone lovers who are always on the offensive.
post #148 of 181
The new Zune HD is upon us. well, not quite - next fall actually. but The Hype Starts Now! Zune vs. Touch! Fight!

could well be the most bogus MS product ever:

- not really video HD display or anything close. has nothing special 480x272 screen resolution (vs. the 2008 touch 480x320 which may be upgraded this fall with the 2009 model). oh! but it outputs 720p to a TV. big deal. the 2009 Touch will likely do the same.

- oh, they mean HD radio! but you can already get much more and better HD web radio on the Touch today from stations all around the world (OTA radio sucks nowadays thanks to the domination of the media chain playlist stations almost everywhere).

- XBox integration! gee, that's right up there with the Touch + iTunes ecosystem - NOT.

- No Apps!! the single biggest reason for the Touch's success is iPhone apps. but the Zune HD still can't run WinMobile apps or even its own version. Pathetic.

- oh, and good chance the 2009 Touch will add GPS location services this fall - another killer feature - and camera? whereas the Zune HD will offer - zilch.

That's it - it's not really the new Zune HD, it's the new Zilch HD!
post #149 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

That's sort of where I'm coming from too. I don't necessarily "care" that microsoft is so inept; its more that i take pleasure in watching them bleed slowly while other companies beat them to EVERY punch. What Apple and Google have done to Microsoft in the last 10 years is a disgrace (to microsoft) MS has been utterly asleep at the wheel on every front. I switched to Mac 4 years ago and have been qutie happy. I've convinced some other people to switch as well, and they've ALL been quite satisfied. Maybe i'm a jerk for enjoying Microsoft suffer, but the fact of the matter is they really do make third-rate products. The xbox is the exception. The zune is decent, but it's too little too late.

The ZuneHD genuinely looks to be a solid device. However it will always be the #1 second-banana. In other words, it will be the leading non-apple PMP, which is perfectly fine (i'd rather be #2 than #3, or 4 or 5, etc). Real success for the Zune HD hinges entirely on Xbox integration, which we'll see at E3 next week. If they can make it compelling enough for Xbox owners (MS's largest installed base outside of windows) then I can definitely see a lot of Xbox owners opting for the ZHD. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.

This is what I like to read. Well thought out posts that make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Plenty of Pre fans tout the Pre as an Iphone killer, so let's not assume it's all iPhone lovers who are always on the offensive.

I think the reasoning for that is because they view Palm as the underdog now. The pre does have some very nice features, but I'm sick of the argument from both ends when nobody even owns one of the two phones in question. When people do the opposite to what I see here, and start bashing the iphone saying the Pre is clearly better, I always have to ask them "So you like your Pre then" with the inevitable reply "I don't own a Pre" followed by my response "Talk when you do." I'm just a geek with too much time on my hands and I read what everyone says. Have you ever actually read what everyone says? The majority of people are stoopid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

The new Zune HD is upon us. well, not quite - next fall actually. but The Hype Starts Now! Zune vs. Touch! Fight!

could well be the most bogus MS product ever:

- not really video HD display or anything close. has nothing special 480x272 screen resolution (vs. the 2008 touch 480x320 which may be upgraded this fall with the 2009 model). oh! but it outputs 720p to a TV. big deal. the 2009 Touch will likely do the same.

I read 1080p output. Was I wrong? Only 720p? I guess it's a start. You're doing what I spoke about above though. You're bashing this product, then comparing it to a product not even announced by Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

- oh, they mean HD radio! but you can already get much more and better HD web radio on the Touch today from stations all around the world (OTA radio sucks nowadays thanks to the domination of the media chain playlist stations almost everywhere).

The ipod touch can get internet radio. Guess what? This will too. The touch won't get hd radio, which isn't reliant on an internet connection. See any pro's on the zune side yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

- XBox integration! gee, that's right up there with the Touch + iTunes ecosystem - NOT.

Hey Wayne. Yes Garth? This guy can see the future man, and it's FREAKING ME OUT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post


- No Apps!! the single biggest reason for the Touch's success is iPhone apps. but the Zune HD still can't run WinMobile apps or even its own version. Pathetic.

The single biggest reason for the failure of this post is the fact that there are apps. If this is built on the Windows CE core (essentially windows mobile) then there will be a whole plethora of free apps, a lot of which can do the exact same thing iphone/touch apps can do, but most of the time for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post


- oh, and good chance the 2009 Touch will add GPS location services this fall - another killer feature - and camera? whereas the Zune HD will offer - zilch.

That's it - it's not really the new Zune HD, it's the new Zilch HD!

Again, speculation doesn't amount to anything. You know what? Why don't you just start saying things like "There's a good chance the 2009 Touch will allow people to fly around in the sky like birds." The Zune will NEVER do this.

It's the Zilch HD for you because it's obvious you'll be spending zilch on it
post #150 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It can, it just doesn't have a HD display - and neither does Apple's offerings.

I expect that it will be using an NVIDIA Tegra processor.

It will be interesting to see what display output options the new iPhone and iPod touch have in June/July - surely it is time for a 720p output? I hope that the dock connector can accomodate these.

I think the new Apple devices will also use an OLED screen, so that isn't a unique selling point.

And digital radio - is that DAB? Otherwise there's a collective yawn from Europe, where this device will be marketed for the first time ever.

"As suggested by the name, HD content will play an important part in the new Zune, though not as elaborately as alluded to in rumors. HD video will require a new dock and can't be played on the Zune itself."

what i was saying is that at least if i buy an HD movie or tv show on itunes i can still play it on my iphone. and there is a difference between SD and HD on my iphone. even if you say it isn't TRUE HD it is still better than the SD content on itunes. i am happy with that.
post #151 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

"As suggested by the name, HD content will play an important part in the new Zune, though not as elaborately as alluded to in rumors. HD video will require a new dock and can't be played on the Zune itself."

what i was saying is that at least if i buy an HD movie or tv show on itunes i can still play it on my iphone. and there is a difference between SD and HD on my iphone. even if you say it isn't TRUE HD it is still better than the SD content on itunes. i am happy with that.

So they are saying you can't view the shrunk down version of the video or are they saying the obvious, which is you won't see true 1080p after the video is shrunk down?
post #152 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Uhhhh.... ...just for the record, you don't think you're watching HD content on your iPhone's 480x320 screen do you? As by all definitions of HD, that ain't happening.

Also, I'm too lazy to look it up today, but there are devices/programs which squish files or use squished files from a large hard drive to better fit when downloaded onto a device which can't use all their resolution. Dunno (make that don't remember) where the squishing happens in the iDevice ecosystem (permanent/on the fly/during download/at playback), nor whether HD source material available in iPod readable formats actually looks better than SD, but in neither case are you watching HD, and theoretically SD downloads should be delivering every pixel you can see on your iPhone.

i just posted on the third page about how i can tell a difference between SD and HD when i buy them from itunes and put them on my iphone. even if it isn't "true" HD there is still a difference. from what the article says, you can only watch HD content if the ZUNE "HD" is plugged into a dock. obviously we wont know yet if it can do what the ipod does and still be able to play the "HD" movie but way scaled down. but from what I took from the article you wont be able to play an HD movie you downloaded from the marketplace at all on the device. that is what i was talking about. at least i can see a difference between the HD and SD versions of this season of southpark. and i bought them all in HD and SD as an experiment to see if there was actual HD. i know there isn't but the picture is definitely improved.
post #153 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So let me get this straight... You're now bashing Microsoft for announcing what the next zune will have? Listen buddy, I don't mean to be insulting here, but you're really reaching for reasons to hate Microsoft. Why don't you try thinking a little bit before posting? Here, lets apply your unwavering logic to something other than this geeky crap... CARS! Hey, that new Prius was announced, everyone stop buying hybrids! TOYOTA'S FREEZING THE MARKET! OH MY GOD.

It's so much easier to go along with the crowd around here, isnt it? Reading this thread has been absolutely hilarious. Bashing this zune for the reasons I've seen shows complete idiotic fanboyism. I saw the same thing with the Pre threads.

For as long as I live, I'll never understand fanboys. Do you people act so biased over everything? Seriously, please someone answer me this question! Do you eat nectarines and then bash prunes and act as though your decision to go with the nectarine instead of the prune makes you highly intelligent? What about fast food? Do you follow Chik-fil-a news and then blow shit all over your pants when McDonalds announces a new sandwich? Perhaps you only buy a single brand of car?

All I can say is, nowhere else on the internet have I seen such lunacy. When news about Apple products pops up on PC forums, there might be a few slight biased posts, but nothing as extreme as I see around here. For the most part, PC geeks are technology geeks, while Mac "geeks" are just ignorant people who spent money on something and then convinced themselves they could do no wrong ever because of that purchase decision.

I digress. This thing isn't even out yet and everyone's already flipping their lid over it. Why don't you people wait until a product is out before writing it off as something crappy because Apple didn't make it.

well if you PC geeks are so innocent go over to ign and look at what you guys are saying about the ipod and apple products. i see no difference between PC fanboys and apple fanboys. i would rather pick a side than sit on the fence. you remind me of the kid who sits on a fence to see which side wins and then you want to join the winner when its all over.
post #154 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

well if you PC geeks are so innocent go over to ign and look at what you guys are saying about the ipod and apple products. i see no difference between PC fanboys and apple fanboys. i would rather pick a side than sit on the fence. you remind me of the kid who sits on a fence to see which side wins and then you want to join the winner when its all over.


IGN is for gamers, who are CLEARLY (and understandably) pro-windows. They live and breathe apple-hate.
post #155 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

The new Zune HD is upon us. well, not quite - next fall actually. but The Hype Starts Now! Zune vs. Touch! Fight!

could well be the most bogus MS product ever:

- not really video HD display or anything close. has nothing special 480x272 screen resolution (vs. the 2008 touch 480x320 which may be upgraded this fall with the 2009 model). oh! but it outputs 720p to a TV. big deal. the 2009 Touch will likely do the same.

- oh, they mean HD radio! but you can already get much more and better HD web radio on the Touch today from stations all around the world (OTA radio sucks nowadays thanks to the domination of the media chain playlist stations almost everywhere).

- XBox integration! gee, that's right up there with the Touch + iTunes ecosystem - NOT.

- No Apps!! the single biggest reason for the Touch's success is iPhone apps. but the Zune HD still can't run WinMobile apps or even its own version. Pathetic.

- oh, and good chance the 2009 Touch will add GPS location services this fall - another killer feature - and camera? whereas the Zune HD will offer - zilch.

That's it - it's not really the new Zune HD, it's the new Zilch HD!

Oh there will be apps all right. Thousands upon thousands of those little gems that have that have turned the internet into the cesspool of viruses that it is. Microsoft's tools make that really easy... even write them in VB.
Of course they'll have the advantage of not having that pesky Apple Store approval process, so you'll be able to download your favorite threat vector without interference no doubt.

Can't wait.
post #156 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

well if you PC geeks are so innocent go over to ign and look at what you guys are saying about the ipod and apple products. i see no difference between PC fanboys and apple fanboys. i would rather pick a side than sit on the fence. you remind me of the kid who sits on a fence to see which side wins and then you want to join the winner when its all over.

ok i take some of that back chronster. however, i have given microsoft a chance in the past. that is all my parents bought. a few years ago i thought i was getting a good deal with a dell. i learned my lesson, i bought a powerbook g4. i will never go back to M$ for another computer. and i had even bought a zune just to give it a try. it broke on me. it felt very flimsy and it wasn't built very well. so i gave them a chance and they failed me yet again. so i am justified in saying that i don't like M$. but i wont bash their fanboys and say they are dumb for liking them. but i have seen way worse on other sites than AI. hell, go look at macworld.
post #157 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

IGN is for gamers, who are CLEARLY (and understandably) pro-windows. They live and breathe apple-hate.

i look at IGN daily and i love apple. but your right, the majority there do hate apple.
post #158 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

ok i take some of that back chronster. however, i have given microsoft a chance in the past. that is all my parents bought. a few years ago i thought i was getting a good deal with a dell. i learned my lesson, i bought a powerbook g4. i will never go back to M$ for another computer. and i had even bought a zune just to give it a try. it broke on me. it felt very flimsy and it wasn't built very well. so i gave them a chance and they failed me yet again. so i am justified in saying that i don't like M$. but i wont bash their fanboys and say they are dumb for liking them. but i have seen way worse on other sites than AI. hell, go look at macworld.

lol your comment about me sitting on the sidelines and taking the side of the winner made me giggle. I didn't mean to come off as a pc fanboy. I'm a technology fanboy, which can encompass many different things. I get just as excited about Apple's announcements as I do with Asus' or Microsoft's or Samsung's or Ford's or Maytag's (ok maybe not maytag but you catch my drift.)

When it comes to Dell, I really don't know what I can say except STAY AWAY lol. Dell is getting a little better, but they used to be reaaaally bad. Proprietary motherboards, memory and power supplies disgusted me. If you're looking for a good quality system where you get your money's worth, the only route (in my mind) is to build it yourself. Putting together a computer really isn't that hard at all. When you read up on each individual part, you find what's cheap, what's practical, and what's expensive and generally reserved for enthusiasts.

Anyways, I ramble easily so I'll shut up now.
post #159 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post

i look at IGN daily and i love apple. but your right, the majority there do hate apple.

I don't even read comments at IGN, but I do play plenty of online games on my PC. Anytime I hear people bash Apple for whatever reason, I ask what it is they don't like about their Apple product and almost every time it's a response like "I don't have one, never have, and never will! I'll never give them money!"

It's just people repeating what someone else said trying to say stuff they think people will respond positively about, all so they can feel like part of a group of people who think the same (and usually falling under the legal driving age.)
post #160 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTouch View Post

I think its success will depend how much they can make the device another PSP or DS but linked to games with the XBox. It needs to differentiate itself from the Ipod touch.

That's a different device which MS will be announcing any day now ... Google it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Microsoft says Zune HD is real, will get multi-touch