or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates white MacBook with faster processor and memory
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple updates white MacBook with faster processor and memory

post #1 of 78
Thread Starter 
Apple alongside its 2009 Back-to-School promotion on Wednesday also updated its entry-level white MacBook with a faster Intel processor, memory architecture and more hard disk space.

The update was announced quietly on the company's online store.

For the same $999 Apple charged for the previous iteration of the white polycarbonate model, users get a 2.13GHz processor (up from 2.0GHz), a 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm (up from 120GB), and 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM (up from 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM).

The update is the second this year to the Cupertino-based company's entry-level notebook offering, the first of which arrived on January 21st when model was updated with NVIDIA's 9400M graphics architecture.

That update also saw the notebook gain the same 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1,066MHz front-side bus employed by the mid-range aluminum unibody MacBook, as well as a doubling of its memory to 2GB.

The new white MacBook is eligible for Apple's just-announced Back-to-School promo, which offers a $229 online rebate good for a free 8GB iPod touch to qualifying education individuals who purchase a qualifying Mac and the iPod on the same receipt before September 8th.

As can be seen in the photos below, the new MacBook is already shipping to retailers across the globe:

post #2 of 78
I guess this means Alu MacBook updates as soon as next week...

Nice upgrade though, if I had to buy a laptop NOW, it would be this one. But my early 2008 2.4GHz white one will have to last until laptops get OLED screens
post #3 of 78
The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.

My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.

She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)

I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem, but it doesn't seem to be anymore widespread than any other normal defects found with products. But now I'm always on the defensive with her because of this and the glossy screen, having to teach her OS X and all on top of that.

I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.

Yes I said it could be shipped and all...

She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.

My advice, buy the metal case Macbooks. Better the matte screen models unless you like looking at yourself.


I have a 5* *(typo: should be 2 ) year old MacBook Pro 15" with back lit matte screen, upgraded Hitachi hard drive to 7,200 RPM, 4 GB of RAM. I'm very pleased with this Apple product and it's been a excellent running machine, especially for a laptop.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #4 of 78
as long as those alu MB's have firewire... all will be well
the rumored ones for next week, that is
post #5 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.

My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.

She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)

I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem.

Now I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.

Yes I said it could be shipped and all...

She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.

My advice, buy the metal case Macbooks. Better the matte screen models unless you like looking at yourself.

The only matte is the 17 incher, so be prepared to shell out $ome dollar$.
You're a masochist if your gonna keep and get burned with a cracked case rather than returning it. Whining will not get you a new one.
Personally I'd rather have a scratched white MacBook than a scratched metal one. The scrathes look really fugly on the metal wheras you barely notice them on the white plastic.. Check them out at any Best Buy.
Also plastic is dent free whereas the metal ones get many dents. Again check them out at a Best Buy near you.
post #6 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

as long as those alu MB's have firewire... all will be well
the rumored ones for next week, that is

Well it will be great if that rumor is true. What is the probabilty of Apple actually admitting a misatake?
post #7 of 78
I almost bought the white one 3 weeks ago- so glad I didn't. This is now way more powerful than the MBA. Great deal. A price drop would be cool too but this is great.
post #8 of 78
I actually gotta say, if I was a student starting classes, or even a continuing student, this would be something I'd seriously look at. Not bad for 1000 bucks.
post #9 of 78

Where's the line "Designed By Apple in California"??

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #10 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...For the same $999 Apple charged for the previous iteration of the white polycarbonate model...The new white MacBook is eligible for Apple's just-announced Back-to-School promo, which offers a $229 online rebate good for a free 8GB iPod touch to qualifying education individuals who purchase a qualifying Mac and the iPod on the same receipt before September 8th. ...

So do students get the rebate AND a reduced price? what's the education price for the $999 MB?
post #11 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I have a 5 year old MacBook Pro 15" with back lit matte screen, upgraded Hitachi hard drive to 7,200 RPM, 4 GB of RAM. I'm very pleased with this Apple product and it's been a excellent running machine, especially for a laptop.

Oh, is it 2011 already?
post #12 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Oh, is it 2011 already?

He's come back from the future just to post in this thread.
post #13 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

So do students get the rebate AND a reduced price? what's the education price for the $999 MB?

$949 + free shipping + iPod Touch.

or \ depending on your point of view...
post #14 of 78
Nice to see this thing still kickin around.
post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

$949 + free shipping + iPod Touch.

or \ depending on your point of view...

Do teachers get a discount - do they get a free iPod as well?
Not that I am one, mind you.

Update- I just read the prior thread and see that they do. Hmmm - who do I know?
post #16 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

(up from $120GB)


Hmm... do gigabytes have a dollar sign these days?
post #17 of 78
I still treasure my 2.4GHz MacBook purchased well over a year ago now. Irrespective of the upgraded graphics and bus speed, Apple really are short-changing us on processor speed. The lowest speed now available should be something in the order of 2.6GHz, IMHO.
The truth is behind you
Reply
The truth is behind you
Reply
post #18 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I have a 5 year old MacBook Pro 15" with back lit matte screen, upgraded Hitachi hard drive to 7,200 RPM, 4 GB of RAM. I'm very pleased with this Apple product and it's been a excellent running machine, especially for a laptop.

That is quite impossible as there was no such thing as a MacBook Pro five years ago. MBPs started shipping a little over three years ago.

This was the professional laptop available from apple five years ago.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmm... do gigabytes have a dollar sign these days?

Always- when they come installed in Apple products.
post #20 of 78
While it's a nice deal, I'm guessing this is the last update to the white plastic MacBook. They might very well retire them right after their Back to School promotions, especially if they end up offering subsidized MacBooks/Pros with built-in 3G WWAN antennas and sold with a 2 year contract. I've been seeing a lot of Verizon's ads for their netbooks, which are priced at $199. With a contract, we could see MacBooks in the $500-$600 range. They'd still allow you to buy a standard MacBook unsubsidized sans mobile internet service/contract like they sell the iPod touch as basically an iPhone sans phone/service.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #21 of 78
If she doesn't like the glossy because of fear of glare, my personal experience is this. When I was getting ready to purchase my MBP last year, I was torn as to matte vs glossy because of glare. I friend who had a glossy told me it was rarely if ever an issue for them so I went with the glossy. I'm so glad I did, in my opinion it looks so much nicer, and I glare is almost never an issue.

Having said that, if she wants antiglare, you can purchase an antiglare film. It's made by the same company that makes them for iPhone and iPod Touch. You can order directly from Apple here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR410LL/A

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.

My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.

She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)

I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem, but it doesn't seem to be anymore widespread than any other normal defects found with products. But now I'm always on the defensive with her because of this and the glossy screen, having to teach her OS X and all on top of that.

I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.

Yes I said it could be shipped and all...

She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.

My advice, buy the metal case Macbooks. Better the matte screen models unless you like looking at yourself.


I have a 5 year old MacBook Pro 15" with back lit matte screen, upgraded Hitachi hard drive to 7,200 RPM, 4 GB of RAM. I'm very pleased with this Apple product and it's been a excellent running machine, especially for a laptop.
post #22 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.

My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.

She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)

I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem, but it doesn't seem to be anymore widespread than any other normal defects found with products. But now I'm always on the defensive with her because of this and the glossy screen, having to teach her OS X and all on top of that.

I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.

Yes I said it could be shipped and all...

She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.

Sounds more like the Whining Girlfriend Syndrome.

Fortunately, it's easy to fix: put her over you knee and spank.

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply
post #23 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat0022 View Post

If she doesn't like the glossy because of fear of glare....

Just pray it's not fear of reflection like that twilight zone episode.
post #24 of 78
And it still has the FireWire port! Yay!

I hope a previous poster who said the Al MacBooks will be getting their mojo (aka FireWire ports) back is right.

My daughter is looking to get her very own MacBook soon, and I really think the aluminum ones are better except for that Achilles heel of the absent FW port.

In any case, if Snow Leopard is going to be released this calendar year, I'm going to make her wait to make her Mac purchase.
post #25 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well it will be great if that rumor is true. What is the probabilty of Apple actually admitting a misatake?

Apple omitted FireWire 800 from the first MacBook Pro. They put it into the Rev.B MBP!
Let's hope this is the case with the unibody MacBook.

I hope they make the MATTE screen option available for ALL their laptops!
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #26 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Do teachers get a discount - do they get a free iPod as well?
Not that I am one, mind you.

Update- I just read the prior thread and see that they do. Hmmm - who do I know?

When I go into an Apple Store, I show my faculty ID and get a 10% discount on EVERYTHING. The first time it happened I was stunned. AppleCare and an Airport Extreme were more than 10% off.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #27 of 78
A very modest upgrade, but a welcome one.

I would believe that Apple loses more money support-wise on the white Macbooks than the aluminum ones. I've had almost every piece of my Macbook replaced excluding the screen and optical drive. Some of the was due to cracks in the plastic. The system board and hard drive are hard to say if they were affected by the frame of the Macbook and would have benefited from the aluminum enclosure.

The nicest thing about the aluminum body is that it won't crack or get dingy like the white Macbook. Anyone have any similar complaints about the aluminum Macbook?
post #28 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well it will be great if that rumor is true. What is the probabilty of Apple actually admitting a misatake?

That concept of how Apple is going to sell its last FireWire-free MacBooks reminds me of that famous John Kerry quote from 1971, "How do you ask a customer to be the las customer to die (i. e., live a FireWire-deprived existence == death) for a mistake?"

It's amazing how he foresaw the greatest data-transfer protocol EVAR about 25 years early.
post #29 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


Where's the line "Designed By Apple in California"??


people still design laptops? i thought the 3-5 Chinese companies that make them just tell you what you're going to get and stamp a brand name on them?

even with an obsolete ipod it's still the same hardware as a $399 special from one of the brand x makers.
post #30 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I guess this means Alu MacBook updates as soon as next week...

IF they are, I suspect it will be very minor. and possibly just an announcement that will fall later in the summer with Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.

I was picking up something at a local store and I actually heard a sales person warning a gentleman against the white macbook because he admitted he's rough on his laptops and the white case gets cracks on the seems and sometimes if something heavy gets put on top when its closed it can damage the display screen (which wouldn't be covered by warranty). I was shocked and impressed that the staff would be that candid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

So do students get the rebate AND a reduced price? what's the education price for the $999 MB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

When I go into an Apple Store, I show my faculty ID and get a 10% discount on EVERYTHING.

no you don't. I have 7 educators in my family and there is not a 10% on everything discount. because you don't get anything on non apple items, for example. nothing on even Apple cables and adapters and the computer, ipod etc discounts are not 10%. you get that percent on their consumer software (i think it is higher for the stuff like Final Cut and Logic). but everything else is something else. the white macbook is only $50 off which is only 5%.
post #31 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The nicest thing about the aluminum body is that it won't crack or get dingy like the white Macbook. Anyone have any similar complaints about the aluminum Macbook?

See for yourself- Go to any Best Buy and look at the dents and noticeable scratches that would barely be visible on white plastics.
post #32 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Apple omitted FireWire 800 from the first MacBook Pro. They put it into the Rev.B MBP!
Let's hope this is the case with the unibody MacBook.

I hope they make the MATTE screen option available for ALL their laptops!

Agreed- bring back matte and firewire. NOW!!!!
post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

A very modest upgrade, but a welcome one.

I would believe that Apple loses more money support-wise on the white Macbooks than the aluminum ones. I've had almost every piece of my Macbook replaced excluding the screen and optical drive. Some of the was due to cracks in the plastic. The system board and hard drive are hard to say if they were affected by the frame of the Macbook and would have benefited from the aluminum enclosure.

The nicest thing about the aluminum body is that it won't crack or get dingy like the white Macbook. Anyone have any similar complaints about the aluminum Macbook?

Some people are just rough with their toys. I have a 1 year-old MacBook Pro with glossy screen, heavily used for video editing and software development, taken to lectures weekly as well as back and forth to work. Other than the paint on the display release button, it looks absolutely brand new. I saw someone else's week-old MBP and it looked VERY used.

Ditto with the fact that my black clamshell cell phone looks brand new after almost 6 years of heavy use.

Learn to take care of your stuff instead of whining. And just stop it with the matte vs. glossy argument. For color correction that matters, I use a hood and wear black, which is what I do when I'm using an Eizo too. Maybe you should stop using Lustre at Starbucks with sunlight streaming in behind you.
post #34 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

And just stop it with the matte vs. glossy argument. For color correction that matters, I use a hood and wear black, which is what I do when I'm using an Eizo too. Maybe you should stop using Lustre at Starbucks with sunlight streaming in behind you.

Do you view the world with glossy inducing glasses?
Did you grow up reading printed text with a sheet of glass between you and it?
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

See for yourself- Go to any Best Buy and look at the dents and noticeable scratches that would barely be visible on white plastics.

Dents and scratches come from treating your equipment poorly.

I've owned around 8 PowerBooks and MacBook Pros I use a neoprene sleeve AND put them in padded backpacks for every one I've owned and NEVER had scratches or dents on any of them. This includes carrying them everyday either on the subway or biking in New York City traffic! I've carried them on buses, trains, boats and planes from East Coast to the Rockies, Central America, the Caribbean and across Europe.

I've seen people who just toss there Macs into a book bag with NO protection at all. I would assume that these are the people who complain the loudest.

If you take care of your gear, IT WILL LAST.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Dents and scratches come from treating your equipment poorly.

I've owned around 8 PowerBooks and MacBook Pros I use a neoprene sleeve AND put them in padded backpacks for every one I've owned and NEVER had scratches or dents on any of them. This includes carrying them everyday either on the subway or biking in New York City traffic! I've carried them on buses, trains, boats and planes from East Coast to the Rockies, Central America, the Caribbean and across Europe.

I've seen people who just toss there Macs into a book bag with NO protection at all. I would assume that these are the people who complain the loudest.

If you take care of your gear, IT WILL LAST.

Ok but how does that explain why plastic doesn't dent?
post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

I use a hood and wear black

Apparently, you're an executioner.
Axe? Needle? Gas? Rope? or Rifle?
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #38 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ok but how does that explain why plastic doesn't dent?

It doesn't.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #39 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

people still design laptops? i thought the 3-5 Chinese companies that make them just tell you what you're going to get and stamp a brand name on them?

even with an obsolete ipod it's still the same hardware as a $399 special from one of the brand x makers.

If you really believe that then I'm surprised you can even feed yourself (maybe you can't).
post #40 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The case on the white MacBooks crack and chip.
A piece near the corner just fell off (no it wasn't dropped) on a brand new machine too.
My girlfriend isn't too pleased, being it's her first Mac.
She doesn't like the glossy screen either. (yes I mentioned a anti-glare film, she says it shouldn't be needed on a $1000 machine and why was the matte screens removed?)
I googled for macbooks crack chip and found it's a widespread problem, but it doesn't seem to be anymore widespread than any other normal defects found with products. But now I'm always on the defensive with her because of this and the glossy screen, having to teach her OS X and all on top of that.
I'm trying to convince her to take it back to Apple before too much time has passed, but she's stuck depending upon it and can't take the time to travel 300 miles back to the Apple Store.
Yes I said it could be shipped and all...
She's stuck on the Stockholm Syndrome effect. This is a sad trend for Apple products.
My advice, buy the metal case Macbooks. Better the matte screen models unless you like looking at yourself.

Tell her not to drop it and it won't break. It is not a widespread problem. I have a three year old white MacBook in mint condition, no scratches, no chips. Stop complaining about glossy screens because almost all PC laptops have glossy screens, and have used them much longer than Apple. 300 miles to an Apple Store? Where does she live? Any authorized Apple Service Center will determine if her damaged MacBook is warranty-related. Since she is reluctant to send it to Apple for service, tells me that she dropped it. Pieces don't just fall off. The complaints that you found, are from people that don't know how to take care of things, and try to blame others for their own stupidity. It is a laptop. You can't throw them around like a book.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple updates white MacBook with faster processor and memory