or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Early glimpse at Zune HD: "better" than iPod touch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Early glimpse at Zune HD: "better" than iPod touch - Page 4

post #121 of 269
Porsche also is a part owner in VW, so it doesnt hurt them when they only sale around a 100,000 cars a year.
post #122 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Windows CE 5 in 2004 brought Direct3D, DirectDraw, and DirectShow. DirectShow is neat because it does things that even OS X still doesn't do. Like full hardware support for video playback, rather than putting it all on the CPU like OS X

While only the latest MacBooks support built in hardware accelerated video playing, the iPhone and iPod touch used the GPU to play video since their release.

Do you seriously think that the iPod touch can achieve 6 hours of video playback using only the CPU?

And while we'll have to wait until Snow Leopard to get wider support for hardware accelerated video in Macs, OS X was offloading imaging/graphics processes to the GPU way before Windows.
post #123 of 269
Guys, this says more about the poor state of Gizmodo more than anything positive about Microsoft.

You all know that the Zune brand is a major sponsor of Giz now...right?

It seemed to happen just before the last Snowmodo (Giz Ski Meetup). Zune crap everywhere, and now every second story there is nitpicking a percieved flaw in Apple or trumpeting how hip, cool and wonderful Microsotft in general and Zune in particular is.
How can a blog objectively review a product that is an active sponsor??

It is very sad.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #124 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Some Zune competition will be great for Apple/iPod. This makes me even more excited for WWDC

Zune will never be competition for the iPod as long as it remains US only, sorry but there is a WORLD outside of the good old US of A.

As for being excited about the WWDC, I wouldn't hold your breath...it's a developer oriented event, not consumers.
post #125 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

As for being excited about the WWDC, I wouldn't hold your breath...it's a developer oriented event, not consumers.

iPhone 3G was introduced at WWDC 08, and given Apple's snubbing of events like MacWorld, it seems to me that events like WWDC are more likely to be the venues for product announcements. Apple has been busily preparing OS 3.0, vendors are reporting that the pipeline for 3g iPhones is running dry... do the math here; new devices are coming.
post #126 of 269
I think the Zune can only be substantially better if the available 3rd party software is better, but that will be very unlikely if they don't sell the Zune outside the US.

Microsoft should know that really well - it makes me wonder what they're actually up to with the Zune.
post #127 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Oh please, that is completely not true. When I got my first Mac a little over 2 years ago, it was the FIRST TIME I had seen a system hard lock (completely crash) since the 1990s. Up until 10.5.5 (and all revisions of Tiger that I used), OS X crashing was a very regular thing that happened once every so often. I've never seen Vista or XP completely lock up in a manner where the entire system goes down.

A lot of what I've been seeing you say, here, has a kind of distortion and inaccuracy to it that makes me want to consider you a troll. I own macs and PC's. In my house I have an iMac, I have a windows server 2003 box, a vista box, several XP boxes, several laptops running various permutations of windows... I have a plethora of virtual machines as well running different versions of windows... and I cannot even fathom where you are coming from, here.

Of all of the machines I have, the Mac is by far the most stable and the most performant. I have an HP xw4400 workstation that sold for considerably more than my silver iMac (base model), but I get performance running windows vista on the iMac in a VM that is nearly indistinguishable from the workstation, and the MacOS remains responsive as well.

I've had much better experiences with MacOSX than with any of the PC's.
post #128 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Re: Less Features - How do you know this? The Zune HD has 720p video output. I don't see the iPod touch doing that.

Wow, one feature the Zune has over the iPod Touch versus the 30 or so it doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Because mobile Safari is so good? I'm running unmodified iPhone OS 2.2.1 on my first generation iPhone and not a day goes by where mobile Safari doesn't crash multiple times.

But mostly that's because web sites are very resource intensive (being designed for the desktop) and those are resources a mobile device just doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

You know, it's funny how Apple fans feel so threatened by this product.

On the contrary, this new Zune isn't going to put the slightest dent in iPod sales, as it's a US only device, with a large number of US only features (such as HD radio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

And to those who say Vista failed.... How about we say Vista failed when OS X reaches that 300+ million user mark, like Vista?

How about we celebrate when OS X finally reaches the 50 million mark! Only 950 million to go to catch up to XP!

Sorry, but Vista was a failure, it is hated worldwide, and hardly anyone actually wants the OS, they invariably stay with XP or downgrade to XP. Not a picture of success.
post #129 of 269
The Zune hD looks very nice! Whether its "better" than an iPod Touch or any other product, well thats personal opinion.

What I love is that the Zune HD, Palm Pre and Android Phones are really going to make Apple step it up a notch! So win for consumers!
0.03 posts per day...
Reply
0.03 posts per day...
Reply
post #130 of 269
[QUOTE=bugsnw;1423451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

How many times does the use have to repeat a gesture it didn't work the first time? At least 4 time, probably more.

It appeared to be about as useless as recognising input as my touch...

The rotate appears more sensitive, but that would probably be more annoying than my touch which either doesnt rotate when I want it to - like when I want coverflow to show - or starts to rotate when i dont want it to - like when I want to use the normal input and it flick into coverflow - or when i am reading doc's with files lite and it doesnt want to rotate the file to a better position.

But tapping inputs multiple times is pretty much a routine thing for me - it may be my fat fingers
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #131 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

ohh, BTW, neither this nor the pre use multi touch. there is no infringement. it's all touch and swipe one finger gestures. no pinch, twist, etc. apple couldn't patent everything. [that's a good thing btw].

Yes - I was watching for that also. In the video all the gestures he does are single-touch.
post #132 of 269
From what I see on the video it looks like a responsive device. As I'm a Mac user I don't have to be interested in it when it's Windoze only. That aside I see a useful product for people who like the syle of the player and its UI. I see parts of the UI that appear simple and so easy to use. The partly out-of-screen titles to me are impractical way of trying to be arty.

What I noticed when he was sliding through the photos was the black area on the side, so the device seems to be designed for wide-screen video. For me these devices are still too small for that when having to watch more than 2-4 minutes or something that has lots of detail and dialog.

My opinion is that the UI is not superior to that of the iPhone, I can't speak for the iPod Touch as fas as where it's different from an iPhone. Still it's a matter of taste. For me the iPhone's icon menu could have had a stylish option, e.g. in limited colour scheme with metal tints. The Zune's responsiveness looks good, which I feel is important and where my iPhone 3G starts to have hang-ups sometimes. It can be a good competitor for iPods for those who own Windows and where Microsoft will sell it. I just hope that people won't sway over to it so massively as they did with Internet Explorer. But then I don't see Microsoft give away free Zunes with every machine that has Windows...
post #133 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Guys, this says more about the poor state of Gizmodo more than anything positive about Microsoft.

You all know that the Zune brand is a major sponsor of Giz now...right?

It seemed to happen just before the last Snowmodo (Giz Ski Meetup). Zune crap everywhere, and now every second story there is nitpicking a percieved flaw in Apple or trumpeting how hip, cool and wonderful Microsotft in general and Zune in particular is.
How can a blog objectively review a product that is an active sponsor??

It is very sad.

like the way they talk up how wonderful Macbooks were after all of their staff recieved their fancy Macbooks?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #134 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I've had much better experiences with MacOSX than with any of the PC's.

so your experience of something means that somebody elses experiences must all be false and they must be trolling?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #135 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Sorry, but Vista was a failure, it is hated worldwide, and hardly anyone actually wants the OS, they invariably stay with XP or downgrade to XP. Not a picture of success.

ahh, the voice of rationality,

wait, thats not hte right word

insane bablings of the FUDite

thats more like it.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Reply
post #136 of 269
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that since the first 'Lauren' ad aired the nature of this forum has changed somewhat. The Microsoft campaign appears to have unearthed a host of 'long-time Apple users' who apparently hate their products along with Apple's 'monopolistic practises'. Fortunately relief is at hand for these poor benighted souls as Windows 7 will fix the economy, end world hunger and even make a decent cup of tea. Now we have the Zune 'HD' ('It's just the name of the shop, love' - fifty bonus points to anyone who gets that reference!) which is 'better than the Touch'. This is an interesting philosophical concept, namely 'something that doesn't exist is better than something that does'. In fact it is an even more abstract notion in this context as we all know that iPhone/Touch 3, of which we know nothing, is imminent so we get 'something that doesn't exist is better than something else that doesn't exist'. It's all a bit much for me.

A thought on the Gizunedo review: "The device is tighter..." Tighter? What did he do, shove it up his arse? Are they doing it in brown?
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, not even if I have said it, if it does not agree with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Reply
post #137 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

like the way they talk up how wonderful Macbooks were after all of their staff recieved their fancy Macbooks?

i own a mac book it is wonderful. 2 yrs plus, being used 8 to 10 hrs a day. Every day.
I Run a 400 k biz on it . And w/my 500g hard drive. Me and my kids play games [[doesn't play COD4 ]]S ometimes all weekend.
We do as a family imovie,photo and we even rent movie's from iyunes and play it thru to our 1080p TV and the picture quality is excellant,andit syncs up with my TV. Takes 3 seconds, Plug and play fast.

For all the MS assholes here on this thread every mac product works as good as my mac book. You M,S TROLLS idiots always preface your comments with a << while as a mac owner... whine whine whine >>

We all hope zune is a success . We are American's who thrive on open markets .

ok ok I have a question ?? Has anyone ever seen a ZUNE accessory ???
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #138 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by revs View Post

The Zune hD looks very nice! Whether its "better" than an iPod Touch or any other product, well thats personal opinion.

What I love is that the Zune HD, Palm Pre and Android Phones are really going to make Apple step it up a notch! So win for consumers!

We have not even seen one of these products yet . so what is there to love dude . But ok lets win one for the gipper !!
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #139 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

so your experience of something means that somebody elses experiences must all be false and they must be trolling?

Yes that idiot was a troll . And you ARE starting to sound like one too .
Of course apple products are not all perfect but all these heart rendering apple disaster stories are and is pure bull shit . If your apple product fails in any way bring it to a genius bar . They will most times fix it . Try doing that with any other product in the world .

Again apple is not flawless .Apple is just very good . Its because window world products are so shit that apple looks even better .

peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #140 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

It doesn't matter because 2008 is past and the world is going to end in 2012 (you know the Mayan calendar ends that year!)

Hmm.. I'm sure if we lived in the age of the Mayans we wouldn't have had a calendar that went past 2012 either :P besides.. my iphone calendar goes past 2012 so we're good.
post #141 of 269
Its not bad. Clearly better than past Zunes.

But it has taken them a good while to get to this point.

In a device like this, one can only really go so far in physical design.

No better or worse than the iPOd Touch design IMO.

And Apple is not exactly done with the Touch either.
post #142 of 269
I think it is good. Apple needs to put more processing power in their device to make it the SNAPPY(TM). I think an iPod / iPhone update along with a tablet is what people are looking forward to this year.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #143 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I missed to see any info on MS plans to discontinue Vista so quickly. It does make sense having only one new OS to support, though... but MS has a history about announcing discontinuation and prolonging product's life afterwards.

Even if Vista is taken off store shelves tomorrow, Microsoft has commited to a minimum of 5 years of mainstream support (security and non-security hotfixes) for all of its consumer products. (Or 1 year after the release of the product's successor, whichever works out to be longer.) That means all editions Vista will be continue to have full support until at least 2012 (2007 general availability + 5 = 2012).

Microsoft's business and development software (including the Professional, Business, and Enterprise editions of the Windows operating system) has an additional 5 years of extended support following the end of its mainstream support, during which time security-related bug fixes will continue to be developed. (Or 2 years after the release of the product's successor, whichever works out to be longer.) That means the business editions of Vista will continue to have security-related support until at least 2017 (2007 general availability + 10 = 2017).

Heck, Windows 2000's extended support lifecycle will only just be coming to an end in 2010 (2000 RTM + 10 = 2010).

Windows XP's support has been extended beyond the normal timeframe, likely due to delays in getting its successor to the market and slow market acceptance of that successor. But even if it hadn't been extended, XP Professional's normal support lifecycle would still have lasted until least 2011 (2001 RTM + 10 = 2011).
post #144 of 269
Gizmodo is a respectable tech site - I would not take this lightly. If it even comes near to the buzz in what's being tauted this will be a very interesting attack. Add to that the Pre and it's now an all out war. Plus HP has a touch screen desk top already. Competition all around- a good thing. Can't wait to see what Apple brings to the table in 2010.
post #145 of 269
Microsoft has never made a quality product. I do not hold out much trust that they have finally been able to do anything that I would ever be interested in.

Maybe, they will start losing as much money as Dell has making cheap netbooks.
post #146 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Its because window world products are so shit that apple looks even better .
peace
9

Put down the kool-aid drip and become a realist- if window products are all so sheet why do they dominate? People and corporation have had the opportunity to switch for how may years now (after how many "I'm a Mac' your a PC" " commercials forced down our collective throats - and they still haven't switched. Why? The closed eco-system being the main reason. Do I call that shitty- no I don't. You really can't compare the 2- one is open and the other is locked.
Imagine if Windows ran an update which recognized Macs and locked them out. How would Apple windows users react?
Apple is great but this constant vindetta against Windows ( they really shouldn't be compared) is both so idiotic and juvenile.
post #147 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post

Porsche also is a part owner in VW, so it doesnt hurt them when they only sale around a 100,000 cars a year.

Porsche is considering bankruptcy.
post #148 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolley View Post

Microsoft has never made a quality product. I do not hold out much trust that they have finally been able to do anything that I would ever be interested in.

Maybe, they will start losing as much money as Dell has making cheap netbooks.

The most foolish comment I've ever read on here and I've read many.
post #149 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

The Zune HD is coming out on September 5th.

Link?

Every article I've seen says MS has only said "in the fall" and is not being specific about a date. "Fall" usually starts on Sept 21.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
Reply
post #150 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The most foolish comment I've ever read on here and I've read many.

i guess you''ve never read your own.

In any event, this Zune looks solid. As of now, it's clearly being touted as a PMP, not a mobile device (the Touch is essentially a mobile device which also plays your media - quite well i might add). Without the developer community getting behind the Zune, it will stick to being a very nice PMP. We'll see what MS has up their sleeves as far as xbox integration; maybe they'll go more heavily down the portable gaming road, whereas Apple only sort of dabbles in that arena. Looking forward to seeing what develops.
post #151 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Porsche is considering bankruptcy.

Porsche's problems are entirely to do with the financial games they were playing with VW, nothing to do with sales.
post #152 of 269
I suspect the Zune HD will never be more than a PMP with fancy animations and inexplicably huge typefaces. MS has to save their big guns for WinMo, because that's where they compete directly with the iPhone and that's where all the action is. I believe MS has said as much-- that the HD doesn't have an "iPhone class" OS and isn't intended to.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with all their various operating systems as they try to start merging things. WinCE is not WinMo is not XBox is not Windows. Apple, on the other hand, only has to contend with OS X, so integration across devices is a given.

It's telling that Apple designed the iPhone OS to be a general solution for mobile computing, then migrated that over to a PMP (with other form factors to come). MS, meanwhile, now has a bifurcated (at least) approach, with a much more limited PMP getting all the groovy animation and typography love while their phone OS continues to play catchup. I guess they can throw in giant typefaces on WinMo 7, and some flippy stuff, but that's a much different proposition than having a coherent, integrated plan for addressing the new world of ubiquitously connected pocketable computers.

Remember Origami? Apple was doomed because they didn't have an answer for Origami. Because there was a video that made it look cool. Some people never learn.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #153 of 269
sorry if this was already posted - is it just me - or did it seem like in the video half the time the content was too big to fit on the screen and got cut off - and the other half of the time the content was too small and did not use the available screen area?
post #154 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

In any event, this Zune looks solid. As of now, it's clearly being touted as a PMP, not a mobile device (the Touch is essentially a mobile device which also plays your media - quite well i might add). Without the developer community getting behind the Zune, it will stick to being a very nice PMP. We'll see what MS has up their sleeves as far as xbox integration; maybe they'll go more heavily down the portable gaming road, whereas Apple only sort of dabbles in that arena. Looking forward to seeing what develops.

Dude, you need to clarify that fanboy statment of yours with "your media that you've purchased from the iTunes store". To get my own media on there (Quicktime movies, DVDs, etc) is like re-inventing the wheel.
post #155 of 269
Hmm...

That transition is too fast.

The reason is simple: the actual delay Apple has allowed is built into the OS. It's to avoid unintentional detection of a "orientation change" that isn't actually an orientation change, but some other form of force acting upon the device. For example, being in a car as you turn a corner, or turning to the side. Both cause the accelerometer to think, temporarily, that the direction of gravity has changed. Apple allows a delay to make sure that its not just another circumstance - variable forces have a way of leveling out and are rarely constant.

Microsoft are picking on something that is done by design. Trust me, it will backfire on them.
post #156 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hmm...

That transition is too fast.

The reason is simple: the actual delay Apple has allowed is built into the OS. It's to avoid unintentional detection of a "orientation change" that isn't actually an orientation change, but some other form of force acting upon the device. For example, being in a car as you turn a corner, or turning to the side. Both cause the accelerometer to think, temporarily, that the direction of gravity has changed. Apple allows a delay to make sure that its not just another circumstance - variable forces have a way of leveling out and are rarely constant.

Microsoft are picking on something that is done by design. Trust me, it will backfire on them.

I prefer fast and snappy. It should at least be controllable. No big deal.
post #157 of 269
Take a step back and look at what has happened in the past 2.5 years. In January 2007, Apple introduced the iPhone. With ONE stroke, they single-handedly DEFINED the smartphone market, as well as the PMP market. Now that they've defined it, they are in the process of Dominating it. It has taken Microsoft TWO and a HALF years (almost 3 by the time teh zHD comes out) in order to put up a respectable challenger. That just proves how utterly side-swiped the entire industry was. MS clearly had nothing in the pipeline before the iPhone came out. Everyone knew when the iPhone was announced that the Touch was right behind it. Even now that the zHD looks to challenge the Touch, it will only do so on a single front - the PMP market. It's not being touted as a mobile device. So the consumer is left with option a) Zune HD which we assume will play your media quite well, or the iPod Touch, which also plays your media quite well but also does SO much more.
post #158 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Take a step back and look at what has happened in the past 2.5 years. In January 2007, Apple introduced the iPhone. With ONE stroke, they single-handedly DEFINED the smartphone market, as well as the PMP market. Now that they've defined it, they are in the process of Dominating it. It has taken Microsoft TWO and a HALF years (almost 3 by the time teh zHD comes out) in order to put up a respectable challenger. That just proves how utterly side-swiped the entire industry was. MS clearly had nothing in the pipeline before the iPhone came out. Everyone knew when the iPhone was announced that the Touch was right behind it. Even now that the zHD looks to challenge the Touch, it will only do so on a single front - the PMP market. It's not being touted as a mobile device. So the consumer is left with option a) Zune HD which we assume will play your media quite well, or the iPod Touch, which also plays your media quite well but also does SO much more.

Dude, enough already- this early in the morning. Put down the kool-aid pitcher. No way is iPhone ever gonna dominate, stuck with one carrier- AT&T. And what OS runs on every other smart phone on every other carrier??Fuggetaboutit.
And you leaving out the iPod classic- Apple's PMP device.
post #159 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I prefer fast and snappy. It should at least be controllable. No big deal.

That's fine, till you jump into a car or other vehicle, or walk around with it.
post #160 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Dude, you need to clarify that fanboy statment of yours with "your media that you've purchased from the iTunes store". To get my own media on there (Quicktime movies, DVDs, etc) is like re-inventing the wheel.

I'm not being a jerk here but I'm not sure where you're heading with that (honestly).

1) - All music on iTunes is currently DRM-free. If you have some older DRM'd music, either pay to upgrade or rip it to a CD then re-import it. Done.
2) - iTunes video is still DRM'd, b/c of the studios. I'm not exactly sure where you manage to obtain legal DRM-free content, but be sure to let me know. Ripping your own DVDs is a given.

Ripping DVDs is a pain in the ass, for sure. But that's the case no matter which PMP you're trying to get the content onto.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Early glimpse at Zune HD: "better" than iPod touch