or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › A glimpse at Snow Leopards more subtle refinements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A glimpse at Snow Leopards more subtle refinements - Page 2

post #41 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

I'll second that
post #42 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Grab already blocks out DVD Player, what makes you think that screen recording won't do the same? However, Apple can't make the silly assumption that content in QuickTime should be protected, since the standalone QuickTime Player refuses to play DRMed files.

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #43 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

What I'd rather see is Finder tabs. It seems like such an easy and obvious implementation. You could navigate to a folder, command-click (or double-click) or command-T (or whatever), to open it in a new tab OR you could simply command-T for a new tab and start navigating, then go back to the other tab where you have the file for transfer, then drop it on the other tab or hold over the other tab to switch. This would be nice.

I'll second that, too
post #44 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Yes there are:

My bad. They are there. But they are really subtle and only at large scale.
post #45 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

As alternative you could use spring loaded folders (select your files and drag them as a group to the home folder or drive etc and hover over until the folder is opened etc).

Alternatively, you could open two finder windows, select your files in first, start dragging, hit expose button to reveal second finder window, move your mouse over it and hit expose again to bring it to the foreground. If you have your side mouse buttons set to activate expose you can do all this with the mouse only.

Or, third alternative, launch the terminal and do it like the grown ups do with the cp, or mv command .

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #46 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?

Can you give us a listing of (Apple) apps that have been converted to 64 bit. Also, it looks like the default Terminal font is now Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono?

Did you experience any apps not working with SL? Does it break backward compatibility?

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #47 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?


Yes, is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

What is going on in EFI with this new build?

Thanks.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #48 of 180
Delete this post somebody

sorry asked a question then found the answer further down
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
post #49 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes ...actually you do. Loading 32-bit apps in an otherwise 64-bit system means that you now need to load all 32-bit framework stacks. It's just easier to compile even the smallest app for 64-bit and keep your system clean.

Why you need to build 64-bit

I can't wait. I'd be surprised if we don't see some new UI stuff.

Making SL 64-bit Intel would mean it would be incompatible with all 2006 Intel Macs since (other than the Mac Pro) they all used the 32-bit CoreDuo or CoreSolo processor. Do you think Apple is ready to tell everyone that 3 year old computers need to be replaced?
post #50 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Making SL 64-bit Intel would mean it would be incompatible with all 2006 Intel Macs since (other than the Mac Pro) they all used the 32-bit CoreDuo or CoreSolo processor. Do you think Apple is ready to tell everyone that 3 year old computers need to be replaced?

Um, there would be 32-bit versions as well in the Universal Binaries.
post #51 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They've finally got rid of the FUGLY recycled paper folders of Leopard and have gone back to their Jaguar transluscent roots. Thank you , thank you.
Many may think these look like Vista but we are back to the jellies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Making SL 64-bit Intel would mean it would be incompatible with all 2006 Intel Macs since (other than the Mac Pro) they all used the 32-bit CoreDuo or CoreSolo processor. Do you think Apple is ready to tell everyone that 3 year old computers need to be replaced?

Why would they have to be replaced? Who says once a new OS comes out you have to install that? Who says that a new OS makes everything before it obsolete? Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only?

Your answer Bredaland is silly, like the majority of mac freaks.
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
Switched permenantly! 12/08/2006
Unibody MacBook Pro ▪ 2.66Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo ▪ 4Gb Ram ▪ 500Gb 7200rpm HD ▪ Geforce 9600M GT ▪ Wireless Mighty Mouse ▪ Silver iPod Classic 160GB ▪ Black iPhone 3GS...
Reply
post #52 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

The Developer Preview builds are only installable on Intel machines. I expect this to be true for the final build as well. I think Snow Leopard is Apple's line in the sand.

But that is still just speculation. I assume there's still no new info saying for sure that it's intel only?
post #53 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Can you give us a listing of (Apple) apps that have been converted to 64 bit. Also, it looks like the default Terminal font is now Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono?

Did you experience any apps not working with SL? Does it break backward compatibility?

In the Flickr set (and the AppleInsider post) there is a photo showing all the apps that have NOT yet been converted to 64-bit. Just take that list and extrapolate from there. Most of them are 64-bit now. Most of them are also Intel-only, which makes the install disc relatively small compared to Leopard. Before Snow Leopard ships I expect all preinstalled apps to be 64-bit Intel-only builds. The final Snow Leopard install disc will probably fit on a single-layer DVD.

The default font is actually Menlo, 11 pt. Also, it's antialiased by default, unlike before.

As far as backwards-compatibility... I have not tried any third-party apps yet besides LittleSnapper (that I used to take the screenshots). LS has had some odd behaviors in Snow Leopard, so I assume there are going to be a lot of developers needing to update their applications for the new OS.
post #54 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

Why would they have to be replaced? Who says once a new OS comes out you have to install that? Who says that a new OS makes everything before it obsolete? Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only?

Sure, they wouldn't have to be replaced, but there would be some pretty darn recent machines unable to run the latest OS, and that wouldn't go over well with users.

Why does it matter if the new OS is 64bit only? Because it will shut out users with recent machines who will want the new features, improved performance, and may even need it to run certain apps.

I'm not crazy about dropping PPC support, but I can see them doing it and getting away with it. Dropping all 32 bit support on the other hand, would be much more controversial and would raise the question of why Apple even bothered with 32 bit intel hardware if they didn't intend to stand by it.
post #55 of 180
Very cool about Apple FINALLY allowing us to have the date in the menubar, but it still isn't as great as the program MenuCalendarClock which I have been using for YEARS!

MenuCalendarclock is fully customizable. Not only does it let you add your date to the menubar, but it also lets you instantly see your entire iCal calendar at a glance! Right from the menubar! It's brilliant.

post #56 of 180
EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong on that point, sorry.
post #57 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

EDIT: Nevermind, I was wrong on that point, sorry.

Is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

What is going on in EFI with this new build?

thanks
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #58 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?

Um, no. Apple has a license that allows DVD Player to play protected DVDs. They have no obligation to block the recording functionality of Quicktime Player, especially if it has no DRM & they have no agreement with the rights holders even with FairPlay because it is not CSS. Anybody recording full movies off of their screens & uploading them to Youtube will still have their videos taken down when the DMCA takedown appears, but that won't stop people.

Apart from that Quicktime Player already has a recording function for audio, you just need Quicktime Pro for it & I can record a protected music file with it as well as any other sound in the room or playing from my computer.
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #59 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Is Snow Leopard being tied to EFI to thwart the Mac Clones/Hackintoshes?

What is going on in EFI with this new build?

thanks

I really can't say anything one way or another on that, sorry. I doubt there is much change from Leopard in regards to how it interacts with EFI, though. I imagine there will still be Hackintoshes around for as long as people care enough to try to beat the system.
post #60 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes it is- it's frk'n ugly. Who wanted a recycled look- Al Gore?
The original aqua solid look of Jaguar's folder was gorgeous. Enough said.

Shut up or write your own icon theme.
post #61 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

If SL fails to come up with the goods, you may have to flash the plastic big time for this.
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
Aside from that bag of hurt, Mrs Lincoln, what did you think of the play?
Reply
post #62 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Shut up or write your own icon theme.

Excuse me? You STFU. I shouldn't have to. Ugly is ugly.
post #63 of 180
@inewton1974

Welcome to the boards.

I've seen data detectors demonstrated in video leaks of previous builds, performed in TextEdit. Is this a universal feature that works in all apps? Does it, for instance, work in Safari?

On QuickTime X, I'm wondering about QT videos opened in Safari. Currently, in Safari 4 in Leopard, if a QT video is opened in its own window (this can be done by dragging a .MOV or I think, a .m4v file into a blank Safari window), the controls disappear and reappear when moused over, but the playback UI is the standard looking one used on Apple's movie trailer website, for instance. In SL, has these controls been updated to QuickTime X's iTunes-influenced UI?

Thanks
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #64 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

As alternative you could use spring loaded folders (select your files and drag them as a group to the home folder or drive etc and hover over until the folder is opened etc).

See my post #38, my response to Zandros.

Quote:
Alternatively, you could open two finder windows, select your files in first, start dragging, hit expose button to reveal second finder window, move your mouse over it and hit expose again to bring it to the foreground. If you have your side mouse buttons set to activate expose you can do all this with the mouse only.

That is what I DO do, except without the Expose trickery. I do it often enough that I would like to see a good solution built in to Finder.

Quote:
Or, third alternative, launch the terminal and do it like the grown ups do with the cp, or mv command .

One of OS X's fundamental aims was to never require a normal user to use the Terminal.
post #65 of 180
Am I the only one who thinks that current folder look with speckles looks pretty good and modern?
post #66 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

The split terminal reminds me of a feature I have been wanting for a long time: the split Finder Window.

Whenever I want to move files, I have to open up a second Finder window and navigate to the destination folder. I have to position this window carefully so I can see the file in the first window I want to move/copy.

It would be so cool if you can split one Finder window into an upper and lower pane where each pane is individually navigable. (It could be left/right in icon view, if the user prefers).

I'm hoping Snow Leopard will let you decide what columns are available for viewing when Spotlight results are shown. For instance, I like to look at file sizes to see which movies are in the large format and which are compressed, smaller ones.

This is so obvious I wish I had thought of it, better let's hope the folks at Apple think of it for Snow Leopard.
post #67 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that current folder look with speckles looks pretty good and modern?

No. The old style translucent folders were ugly. They also didn't go with any other system icons (like mounted drives) because they were angled.

I much prefer the far more realistic looking, un-angled, speckled, subdued look of Leopard's folders, especially the ones with subtle imprints, like the Downloads folder in my Dock.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #68 of 180
Since these are all small features, I'd like to see a small addition. When I hold down one of the special keys ( fn, ctrl, alt, cmd ), I'd like a semi-transparent hud display of the keyboard to fade in, with the name of any special functions displayed on the key. I shouldn't have to guess what keys may be active or go searching the help.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #69 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

@inewton1974

Welcome to the boards.

I've seen data detectors demonstrated in video leaks of previous builds, performed in TextEdit. Is this a universal feature that works in all apps? Does it, for instance, work in Safari?

On QuickTime X, I'm wondering about QT videos opened in Safari. Currently, in Safari 4 in Leopard, if a QT video is opened in its own window (this can be done by dragging a .MOV or I think, a .m4v file into a blank Safari window), the controls disappear and reappear when moused over, but the playback UI is the standard looking one used on Apple's movie trailer website, for instance. In SL, has these controls been updated to QuickTime X's iTunes-influenced UI?

Thanks

No, data detectors appears to be simply a new feature of TextEdit. There's a checkbox within the app to turn it on or off. On top of that, it doesn't work very well. \

As far as QuickTime X movies in Safari... well, I can't answer that, because in this build (or at least on my install), a QT video opened in its own window or tab does not display properly. However, the standard controller bar does appear, so this has not been changed yet, though I expect it will be more similar to the standalone QuickTime X in the final build.
post #70 of 180
FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?
I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!
post #71 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

No, data detectors appears to be simply a new feature of TextEdit. There's a checkbox within the app to turn it on or off. On top of that, it doesn't work very well. \

Well, I'll cross my fingers that's part of the near final build Apple is set to unveil at WWDC. Considering Apple just promised data detectors were coming in MobileSafari as part of the 3.0 update, I would be surprised if we didn't see them in the desktop build bundled with SL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

As far as QuickTime X movies in Safari... well, I can't answer that, because in this build (or at least on my install), a QT video opened in its own window or tab does not display properly. However, the standard controller bar does appear, so this has not been changed yet, though I expect it will be more similar to the standalone QuickTime X in the final build.

Ah I see. But I agree with your assertions. They'll almost certainly strip out all remnants of Aqua, which I think those playback controls are. It only makes sense to extend QTX's look into the browser.

Thanks again.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #72 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTO View Post

FUNK! Apple you stopped making the clear plastic colored computers years ago! Update your freaking UI!! Aqua is old, out of date! I mean are you kidding me? Do you make any hardware that remotely matches the clear colored buttons on your finder boxes? Or the status bar for operations and progress? The iPhone has no problem looking modern and up to date. Is it that hard to draw a couple new animations and buttons out? It's really only a couple changes to the close/minimize/hide to the radial buttons/check boxes and tabs.. Yes it's a couple little things but how long can you go without modernizing them?
I always thought the three dots on the top left of windows would look cool if they matched the power buttons on the late model MacBook Pro and Mac Pro but hell those are already being phased out to not shine like a compact disk for a plain metal surface.

Small gripe, sorry but it's time!

Whoa, calm down there. Like I have said in previous posts in this discussion, major UI changes are extremely likely but are just not included in the developer previews yet. I expect the so-called "Marble" UI to be shown off at WWDC. It will be black, glossy, glass-like in places... somewhat similar to Windows Vista/7 but also taking some design cues from the iPhone OS. They just wanted to be able to control when they showed it off. The Leopard developer previews looked just like Tiger until only a few months before the final Leopard build actually got released. The same is likely happening here.

---

Also, another small UI/eye candy thing I just noticed... when you move a file from one place to another, it quickly fades out of the old location and fades into the new location. Just like the icons sliding into place rather than just appearing, this is a nice touch to the UI.
post #73 of 180
Edit: inewton1974 beat me to responding to MTO.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #74 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

Also, another small UI/eye candy thing I just noticed... when you move a file from one place to another, it quickly fades out of the old location and fades into the new location. Just like the icons sliding into place rather than just appearing, this is a nice touch to the UI.

Would you say it's akin to the effect of moving a file from a Stack in the Dock to the Trash in Leopard?

I also noticed in a previous build in a video leak that when clicking the little button in the upper right-hand corner of a Finder window, the window changes with a transition, rather than jumping to it as in Leopard.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #75 of 180
I'm not sure I like the way the Finder color-labels now cover up the names of disks/files/folders they're applied to.
post #76 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Time Zone preferences have also seen an overhaul. Each time zone is highlighted as a user moves their mouse cursor across the map. And as previously note, users will have the option to have their time zone updated automatically with help of Snow Leopard's new Core Location framework.

I hope the next notebooks get a GPS chip. So much potential if they do.

Quote:
Below is a capture of QuickTime X Player's HUDless movie playback presentation:

So far the screen recording is quite unimpressive. Other apps allow for much more activity while recording, though QT X wasnt even stable until the latest build of SL.

Quote:
In Snow Leopard, Software Update's "Installed Updates" tab has been renamed "Installed Software," possibly foreshadowing a move by Apple to provide new software downloads via the built-in mechanism rather than just updates:

I hope that is true, but Im guessing the name change is due to SL not including printer drivers any more, instead doing on-demand installs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

All very interesting. I still want to feel how fast Snow Leopard actually runs on my first gen Mac Pro though. Any chance of notable improvement?

So far the benchmarks are good for a beta.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I'm surprised that so few apps look like they are 64-bit at this point. You'd think most of the apps would have been updated by now.

Of the Applications, Extensions and Frameworks, most have been updated to 64-bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Doubtful and unnecessary. Drag the App to the trash and it is uninstalled. If you want to go further, go to your Library folder and trash the pref files in Preferences and Application Support (if any present). You don't need an uninstaller like Windows does.

I disagree. Having to direct a user where to go to delete every part of an app is not very Mac-like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes ...actually you do. Loading 32-bit apps in an otherwise 64-bit system means that you now need to load all 32-bit framework stacks. It's just easier to compile even the smallest app for 64-bit and keep your system clean.

As an example, when you access System Preferences it loads the 64-bit version, but when click Growl or Perian it asks you if you want to restart it. When you click Ok it opens it up again immediately but with (32-bit mode) appended to the end of the title bar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

But that is still just speculation. I assume there's still no new info saying for sure that it's intel only?

There is a lot Apple doesnt say that we can infer. This far into the development cycle Apple would likely have to be using developers to test their PPC code.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #77 of 180
Quote:
For instance, you could set your screen to dim after 10 minutes of inactivity but not lock down the system and require a password prompt for 45 minutes. In current versions of the Mac OS, there's no separation of these features.

Not exactly correct. In Leopard, you can't set the interval, but there is a short delay between when the screen saver activates, and when the password is required to unlock it (if you have that enabled). Next time you see your screen saver start (or you can just start it immediately with a hot corner), immediately move your mouse and you will not be prompted for a password. Not sure exactly how long it is (probably 30-60 seconds at the most), but there's already some "grace period" between the two events.
post #78 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by inewton1974 View Post

Hey everybody... inewton here... the user who posted the photos.

I don't want to draw too much attention to myself, but if anyone has any additional questions about this build I would be happy to answer them.

I can confirm that folders still appear to be "recycled" though. It's just those small icons don't have them. But if you blow them up to larger size they look the same as in Leopard.

Also, as far as speed goes, I would say that it certainly seems faster than Leopard, however it could just be that it's a fresh install and I'm noticing it more.

The OS is still pretty clearly not ready for prime time, though. There are some odd bugs here and there.

So... any more questions I can help answer before I get nailed by Apple?

Any news on ZFS?
post #79 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MShock View Post

Any news on ZFS?

It’s not even an option in the consumer version of OS X in Disk Utility.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #80 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes I know Grab blocks out DVD Player, so it's just logical to assume Snow Leopards Screen/Audio Record will do the same, for any MIAA/RIAA content.

Question is where does this put third party products that do it all, can record anything?

It puts them (and it's users) squarely in the legal bullseye of the MIAA/RIAA since these "record it all" third party recorders products only function will be (what the MIAA/RIAA determines to be) illegal copying.

Get what I'm trying to convey here?

Why would you need a third party recorder when Apple provides a free one unless your up to no good?

Suppose i own 200 legally bought dvd's . And i want to put them on my hard drive . Only on hard drives i own .

can i do that .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › A glimpse at Snow Leopards more subtle refinements