or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos purport to show new iPhone's autofocus camera, compass

Photos purport to show new iPhone's autofocus camera, compass - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Don't be an idiot. It always starts out as a Russian or Chinese "blurry pic" because those are the two places where people can get their hands on the latest tech but also places where the law doesn't reach. It's been that way for a while.

There are people in North America right now with demo models of the new iPhone, they are just trustworthy, law-abiding types who are within reach of the Apple legal department. If Apple could stop the guys in the Chinese factories ripping off their stuff they would. If Apple could stop the Russian mob from stealing everything before it even comes to market they would.

I agree (with the latter) but money talks. And it isn't limited to China and/or Russia, but North America too. Remember that story... the guy who said to got his new unreleased Mac mini in the metro? Where did that came from? Guess what?

Also: I have been to Ibiza for the past few years with my family, wife and kids, and every summer there was some sort of developers meeting. Guys dressed with black Komodo shirts and Apple notebooks. Taking all the best places... and thus someone is paying for it, and is sure wasn't ActiveState.

I mean we might get our hands dirty with the new iPhones soon, but the next batch of hardware is already lining up! Thanks to OLED displays. And it won't stop with new hardware. We all know that already! Right?
post #42 of 81
Name calling sometimes means a lck of education or social problems. That said, I wish you well and will send good vibes and rayeds your way.

Anyway, it is a known fact, as a national marketing and promotional director, responsible for 20+ managers workwide, that Apple uses rumors as their PR and leaks items in order to gain FREE publicity. That said, note the lack of posts regarding this topic. People just don't care. These are not items people are interested in. I ask find it ironic, some websites reporting oled foe new iPhone and fanboyz are orgasmic when just the other day theses same people where knocking oled for the zune.

Think what you want but it's all part of Apples publicity using China, it's out if our hands, as a typical excuse. It's planned. Just like jobs departing or saying they are no longer doing mac world. All publicity stunts.

Peace and Godspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopejr View Post

It looks like the speedo of the latest Toyota Corolla, so there's a place we can start.

Quote:

Don't be an idiot. It always starts out as a Russian or Chinese "blurry pic" because those are the two places where people can get their hands on the latest tech but also places where the law doesn't reach. It's been that way for a while.

There are people in North America right now with demo models of the new iPhone, they are just trustworthy, law-abiding types who are within reach of the Apple legal department. If Apple could stop the guys in the Chinese factories ripping off their stuff they would. If Apple could stop the Russian mob from stealing everything before it even comes to market they would.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Why are all UFO photos so out of focus? Are these UFO witnesses that terrible at using cameras?

Exactly. Yet, somehow we're able to get perfectly focused footage of tigers attacking people, capture fleeting images of ball lightning, and the rarest of all... video of some dunce taking it in the family jewels.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchers (Chief Editor) View Post

... I mean we might get our hands dirty with the new iPhones soon, but the next batch of hardware is already lining up! Thanks to OLED displays. And it won't stop with new hardware. We all know that already! Right?

I sure hope there is an OLED display in the new iPhones. They will look stupid without it given that all the competitors are using them now.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Name calling sometimes means a lck of education or social problems. That said, I wish you well and will send good vibes and rayeds your way.

Anyway, it is a known fact, as a national marketing and promotional director, responsible for 20+ managers workwide, that Apple uses rumors as their PR and leaks items in order to gain FREE publicity. That said, note the lack of posts regarding this topic. People just don't care. These are not items people are interested in. I ask find it ironic, some websites reporting oled foe new iPhone and fanboyz are orgasmic when just the other day theses same people where knocking oled for the zune.

Think what you want but it's all part of Apples publicity using China, it's out if our hands, as a typical excuse. It's planned. Just like jobs departing or saying they are no longer doing mac world. All publicity stunts.

Peace and Godspeed.

Well a bit of "pot calling the kettle black" here with this post.

The "idiot" remark was an attempt at humour (and mostly out of character for me), whereas your posts are usually the strident, angry insulting ones so touché for picking up on the one time you could probably get back at me on that topic.

I do find it hard to believe (given what you've posted before) that you are actually in a position of responsibility over 20 other people.

The fact that you are in PR makes sense in that you often post things that are either wild exaggerations or basically just made up. It would be rare to find anyone actually dissing an OLED screen choice for instance, Zune or otherwise, so your implication above that people were intensely critical of Zune for including it is an exaggeration for sure. The general tone in the last six months has been that OLED screens are good, they are coming, and we hope the iPhone will have one too.
post #46 of 81
Quote:

I sure hope there is an OLED display in the new iPhones. They will look stupid without it given that all the competitors are using them now.

By saying "all the competitors are using them now", which phones are already using OLED screen or going to use this screen in the future that compete with iPhone?
post #47 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

By saying "all the competitors are using them now", which phones are already using OLED screen or going to use this screen in the future that compete with iPhone?

I'm not an authority on this, but it's my understanding that the Pre and the new Zune will use OLED, that several lesser known devices already do, and that the Riim devices will all use it or already do.

The fact that the "blacker blacks" will make the UI (which has a black background for this reason), fade into the front face of the device better is the main reason they should use it. You only have to see the new Zune demo to see what a great thing this is.

No matter how good Apple's screens are, if they don't have OLED, it's guaranteed that people will be talking about the "omission" all year until they fix it with the next generation. It would definitely be a distraction from the other aspects of the device and it's been a long time since you could say of any Apple product that it has a "lesser" screen than other products.

The beauty and quality of their screens has always been a big selling point for Apple computers of all stripes and one of their hallmark features. To have a crappier screen than the latest Microsoft dreck would be alarming if true.
post #48 of 81
Quote:

I'm not an authority on this, but it's my understanding that the Pre and the new Zune will use OLED, that several lesser known devices already do, and that the Riim devices will all use it or already do.

The fact that the "blacker blacks" will make the UI (which has a black background for this reason), fade into the front face of the device better is the main reason they should use it. You only have to see the new Zune demo to see what a great thing this is.

No matter how good Apple's screens are, if they don't have OLED, it's guaranteed that people will be talking about the "omission" all year until they fix it with the next generation. It would definitely be a distraction from the other aspects of the device and it's been a long time since you could say of any Apple product that it has a "lesser" screen than other products.

The beauty and quality of their screens has always been a big selling point for Apple computers of all stripes and one of their hallmark features. To have a crappier screen than the latest Microsoft dreck would be alarming if true.

While Zune is not exactly a phone, none of the other iPhone competitors like NOKIA N97, Palm Pre, Blackberry phones I can find uses OLED screen. I have a hard time finding more than 10 models of phone that use this screen, not to mention "all the competitors".

I remember OLED screen still has several concerns so I really doubt Apple will take the plunge when the technology is at its current state.
post #49 of 81
Quote:

I think the only phone on the (European) market with a modern OLED screen is the Samsung i8910. There's also quite a few PMPs with OLED screens, including the Walkman X-series and Zune, as you pointed out.

The Palm Pre doesn't have an OLED screen and neither does many of the iPhone rivals being released soon (Nokia N97 and BB Storm 2).

However, most companies are ramping up to put OLED screens in their phones in the next 6 months. If Apple is going to continue on its yearly iPhone refresh cycle, the iPhone will probably look very dated come July 2010.
post #50 of 81
Quote:

I know the thing is a little slow, but this is a gross exaggeration.

It takes two seconds for the camera to be ready, not "ten or more."

I rarely use the camera so I gave it a shot. It took 4 seconds to open. Then I closed it, waited a moment and then tried again. It took 2.5 seconds. Then I played music from the iPod app in the background. It took 4 seconds again. The faster CPU and additional RAM should make it more consistent in all those tests and bring the startup down a little.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I rarely use the camera so I gave it a shot. It took 4 seconds to open. Then I closed it, waited a moment and then tried again. It took 2.5 seconds. Then I played music from the iPod app in the background. It took 4 seconds again. The faster CPU and additional RAM should make it more consistent in all those tests and bring the startup down a little.

I tried it on mine quite a few times and it always comes out to two seconds on my stopwatch, but I'm sure it varies and I'm sure we will all rejoice when the new one is a bit faster.

It doesn't vary up to "more than ten seconds" though so that's still an exaggeration.
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by randfee View Post

oh please guys....
these Apple spy photos are always crappy because they were shot using in iPhone!!!! gg

Seriously, the iPhone camera sucks big time. The ONE thing I keep getting mad about every day. I've had the K750, K800, 3 years prior to the iPhone they had way way better cameras. I used them on a daily basis to photograph sheets that I would have copied otherwise, a HUGE time saver and less wasted copies. Then there was THE IPHONE. Great device, useless camera, Apple-idiots in this regard!

I hope they changed that, otherwise I won't get the new one, I don't need a compass or more speed, hell, I don't even have GPS yet but wtf, its not a proper device anyway, just works with a cellular network, what if there is none?

Dude, its a PHONE camera. Get a real camera if you so impatient.
Apple had me at scrolling
post #53 of 81
Quote:

Maybe your 1,340 pictures in your photo gallery aren't doing the trick.
post #54 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Dude, its a PHONE camera. Get a real camera if you so impatient.

But that's like saying: "Get a bike when you hit a traffic jam". I mean I have a couple of other phone camera's and they do the job just fine, and why else would Apple upgrade the CPU and RAM? Ah right... to avoid "a traffic jam". Don't you get it? This is stuff real people, real users complain about.. Get a grip.

p.s. it is so 80's to say: "dude..."
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Cool update. Most important update in terms of the camera must be instant start up. Now it takes like 10 seconds or more until you can take your first image. Kodak moment long gone.

It isn't super quick but I'm motto sure it is that bad. As for those Kodak moments, as you get older you have a lot more time to get ready for them.

Quote:
I also think one finger touch anywhere on the screen while in camera mode should take a picture. It's not the best solution to have to find that tiny camera button when holding the phone in an uncomfortable position. Two finger touch could focus.

That is utter crap! Sorry but the biggest feature on the iPhone's camera that caused problems for the photographer is the Touch screen shutter release. A fixed button or two would eliminate the framing errors and vibration inherent in the Touch screen approach. Plus being able to focus in quickly on the area of interest in a frame will lead to a lot more usefull pictures being taken. I could see rapid emulation of such a technique from mainstream camera manufactures. Frankly this would be real innovation on Apples part.

Besides all of that I simply don't buy your arguement about odd angles. A mechanical switch makes it easier not harder to shoot pics.

Now all we need to do is to wait for Apple to deliver so that we can objectively look at these features in real world usage. This camera could be a bigger improvement than we where hoping for. Poof is in the pudding of course so a few more days togo.

Dave
post #56 of 81
Quote:

But that's like saying: "Get a bike when you hit a traffic jam". I mean I have a couple of other phone camera's and they do the job just fine, and why else would Apple upgrade the CPU and RAM? Ah right... to avoid "a traffic jam". Don't you get it? This is stuff real people, real users complain about.. Get a grip.

HUH? I cant even begin to understand how a car analog regarding a traffic jam and the CPU/RAM of the device has to do with the small camera compared to larger phones with more room and dedicated cameras.

If you want a great camera, dont rely on a camera phone. If you want a good camera phone, dont get an iPhone. Its that simple.
post #57 of 81
Quote:

Oh my

Wonders never cease. A compass. Wow. Unbelievable. I can't believe it took so long. Like wow by golly by molly. Woe a compass. Man oh man. Oh boy a compuss. Time to turn my 3g phone in if the software doest help. A compuss. Wow.

LOL.

I forwarded your post to the International Brotherhood of Boy Scouts.

They will be contacting you shortly.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #58 of 81
Quote:

So what sort of problems do your posts demonstrate?
Quote:

Anyway, it is a known fact, as a national marketing and promotional director, responsible for 20+ managers workwide, that Apple uses rumors as their PR and leaks items in order to gain FREE publicity. That said, note the lack of posts regarding this topic. People just don't care.

You can't extend the lack of posts to indicate people don't care. Especially when overall activity in the forum is down. Just one alternative possibility is that it is summer.

Quote:
These are not items people are interested in. I ask find it ironic, some websites reporting oled foe new iPhone and fanboyz are orgasmic when just the other day theses same people where knocking oled for the zune.

Might that have something to do with Zunes low resolution? Just because a screen is OLED doesn't mean it is high resolution with 32 bits of color.
Quote:

Think what you want but it's all part of Apples publicity using China, it's out if our hands, as a typical excuse.

I can't believe any person with a rational grasp of business would make the above statement.
Quote:
It's planned. Just like jobs departing or saying they are no longer doing mac world. All publicity stunts.

Peace and Godspeed.

Actually if my vocabulary was suitably stocked I'd be calling you all sorts of names. Frankly you have insulted anybody that has had to deal with a life threating disease. I hope other forum members take the above into account and suitably file all your postings. You really need to get in touch with humanity.

Dave
post #59 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I think the only phone on the (European) market with a modern OLED screen is the Samsung i8910. There's also quite a few PMPs with OLED screens, including the Walkman X-series and Zune, as you pointed out.

The Palm Pre doesn't have an OLED screen and neither does many of the iPhone rivals being released soon (Nokia N97 and BB Storm 2).

However, most companies are ramping up to put OLED screens in their phones in the next 6 months. If Apple is going to continue on its yearly iPhone refresh cycle, the iPhone will probably look very dated come July 2010.

They can and will switch over when the costs are appropriate.
And they can do it any time they want... is doesn't have to be tied to a major release. Its a minor change that would be a good opportunity for off-cycle publicity.

If they don't do it next week, its because it doesn't make economic sense at the moment (e.g. they can't offer never-ending loss leaders they way MS does.)
post #60 of 81
Quote:

Hey dude...
ALL phone cameras suck compared to today's standard for real cameras. Its not what they're meant for.
I use a Flip and understand that I'm trading off high quality for the fact that I actually use it.
I don't bitch that it doesn't match a $5K HD camera.
Get real dude.
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The difference in the two speedometer photos has more to do with color balance and exposure than with autofocus. They're both in focus but the fuzzier one seems to have a longer exposure.

And the fact that they were not taken at the same time either. Notice the mileage and the seat belt indicator in the second photo.

The last time I saw spy photos of a vehicle, the pics were crystal clear. This stuff is just BS crap. It is not called Autofocusing, it is called SPOT focusing! The iPhone already autofocuses to take a picture.
post #62 of 81
Quote:

The Pre doesn't exist yet. The Zune can't sell for shit (3%?). Even with an OLED screen, no one will buy it. Even Windows users are not flocking to it. No matter how good Apple products are, the people here always complain about something when a new product is released. All they do is bitch and complain. It is amazing how many people here have gotten their panties in a wad over an OLED screen, one that would only be 3.5" in size! The blacker blacks on a 3.5 inch screen?! It is a phone/iPod, not a 60" HDTV.

This might interest you...Sony's OLED Walkman in Japan:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/s...n-impressions/

Here is the clencher:
"So yeah, the OLED panel itself definitely lives up to the hype, but unfortunately we're not so sure a fancy display justifies the steep increase in price versus LCD-based rivals." (They estimate the converted price is $100 more than the iPod Touch. Are you ready for that with an iPhone?).

So if the iPhone includes an OLED screen, the number one complaint will be how expensive it is.

If everyone is begging so much for OLED, go out and buy one of these for $2,499. I am sure your BluRay movies will look great on an 11" screen!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158OLED...1.html?tp=9201
post #63 of 81
Quote:

i'll take the iphone's apps over blacker blacks anyday. i've heard this nonsense for 10 years from home theater snobs and half the time i can't notice it. the other half the time i don't want to pay the ridiculous premiums on the equipment.

iphone is a hit because for the second time in it's history Apple came out with a great product that is the same price or cheaper than the competition.

with the app store you can find something to do anytime you have free time. with the pre and zune you will get to enjoy looking at a black screen and amazed at how black it is
post #64 of 81
Thanks to skwoytek on MacRumors website we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post

...we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

*cue wicked witch voice*

And more evidence to hang you with my pretty.

/voice

Fingers, possible prints and home location!

I though cars drove on the opposite side of the road in countries other than the US.?

Methinks SoCal. Blue trash can. Graffiti on the far right wall.

Guy walking is a bit dark skinned for a Chinese too.
post #66 of 81
I can’t find any geotagging with the photo, but I’ve never tried to find it before so I could have made a mistake, but California seems likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I though cars drove on the opposite side of the road in countries other than the US.?

Not much international travel, eh? The UK, Bermuda, Australia, and other countries that have a strong British influence or were under British rule, like Dutch side of Sint Marteen in the Caribbean, while the French side drives on the right, all drive on the left. The history of why is quite interesting.

edit: This site apparently has a complete list...

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandar...tm#leftdriving
post #67 of 81
Quote:

Not much international travel, eh?

Around the world, but about 25 years ago when I was young and spry.

I say this guy intercepted the new iPhones in a SoCal warehouse, the Chinese writing on the paper in the other photo's is wrapping paper.

Those don't look like Chinese fingers. Caucasian perhaps.

Low middle income neighborhood, guy is most likely a worker, perhaps a forklift operator.

Come Monday a police report will be filed when the break in/theft is discovered.

(thanks for the link BTW)
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually if my vocabulary was suitably stocked I'd be calling you all sorts of names. Frankly you have insulted anybody that has had to deal with a life threating disease. I hope other forum members take the above into account and suitably file all your postings. You really need to get in touch with humanity.

Dave

I wasn't saying anything to disrespect SJ, besides, I thought everyone said he was fine and it was just a hormone thing. Do you know something the rest of us do not?
post #69 of 81
Quote:

Not much international travel, eh? The UK, Bermuda, Australia, and other countries that have a strong British influence or were under British rule, like Dutch side of Sint Marteen in the Caribbean, while the French side drives on the right, all drive on the left. The history of why is quite interesting.

edit: This site apparently has a complete list...
http://users.telenet.be/worldstandar...tm#leftdriving

Solipsism! How come you mentioned Bermuda, but not New Zealand??
I will NOT be talking to you in future...
*storms off*
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post

Thanks to skwoytek on MacRumors website we have a clear pic of the same type of phone.

If you scroll down a bit in the discussion that pic is posted in, the guy that posted it explains that he made the image in Keynote (?), then displayed it full screen on an iPhone and photographed that, just to show how easy it is to fake this kind of thing.

This is his original image here:

They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This might interest you...Sony's OLED Walkman in Japan:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/05/s...n-impressions/

Here is the clencher:
"So yeah, the OLED panel itself definitely lives up to the hype, but unfortunately we're not so sure a fancy display justifies the steep increase in price versus LCD-based rivals." (They estimate the converted price is $100 more than the iPod Touch. Are you ready for that with an iPhone?).

So if the iPhone includes an OLED screen, the number one complaint will be how expensive it is.

Engadget's conclusions are out of date. The Walkman X-series players sell for exactly the same price as the comparative iPod touch models in North America and Europe. Sony's music players have always sold for a premium over other non-Apple brands, OLED or not.

If you want to see the difference in screen quality, check out this side-by-side look.
post #72 of 81
What is that half circle around the speaker on the top of the iPhone in the CPU pic. My dream answer would be a fire button for games. but that is not very iPhone friendly of me.
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Hey dude...
ALL phone cameras suck compared to today's standard for real cameras. Its not what they're meant for.
I use a Flip and understand that I'm trading off high quality for the fact that I actually use it.
I don't bitch that it doesn't match a $5K HD camera.
Get real dude.

But I was and I am still comparing the current iPhone, with its lack of: auto focus, flash and a high(er) resolution camera, with other phone camera's. And my conclusion was, and still is that other brands and models do a better job. Apple really didn't step in with a better camera for nothing. It's all about user demand.

And yes, most people keep comparing apples with oranges... but I'm not one of them. Maybe that is why I am invited, by Apple, and you not. Thank you.
post #74 of 81
Quote:

Around the world, but about 25 years ago when I was young and spry.

Navy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Solipsism! How come you mentioned Bermuda, but not New Zealand??
I will NOT be talking to you in future...
*storms off*

I just planned a trip go Bermuda; a cruise out of Boston. It's been a long tome since I've been to the South Pacific.
post #75 of 81
OH, I think the new Zune HD is so much better, don't you?

LOL
post #76 of 81
I'd be surprised if Apple didn't design the compass app to look more like their Safari icon.
post #77 of 81
Quote:

Navy?

Yep, Europe, Med, Middle East, South Pacific, Asia, Oz, etc., anything more than that requires clearance and a "need to know"

Quote:

I just planned a trip go Bermuda; a cruise out of Boston. It's been a long tome since I've been to the South Pacific.

Boston is wonderful in the spring especially Back Bay, Copley Square. Lived in Hawaii for quite a many years when younger, surfed Pipeline, Sandys Beach, Waimanalo etc. Been or lived in all the other states: California (inside 1 Inf Lp too, sssh!), Oregon (go in summer), Washington etc., except Alaska.

Alaska I plan a cruise with the 5 day train ride in the interior and points in Canada, as soon as I can convince my old lady it's not cold there in the summer.

Far off topic, sorry.
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by randfee View Post

oh please guys....
these Apple spy photos are always crappy because they were shot using in iPhone!!!! gg

The camera is cursory, and always has been. It's a bell. a whistle. a 2mp camera is fine for me, considering EVERYTHING else I get with the iPhone.

If I had a nickel for every cool feature the iPhone has that blows away every other phone in the free market...

...then I'd have a big 'ole bag of nickels, Jack, to wop you upside yo' silly head!
post #79 of 81
Kind of ironic. Apparently Auto-focus doesn't work when taking pictures of other iPhones.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
post #80 of 81
Quote:

I forwarded your post to the International Brotherhood of Boy Scouts.

They will be contacting you shortly.

That is one darn expensive compass, though. Wonder if boyscout organization will adopt them any time soon
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Photos purport to show new iPhone's autofocus camera, compass