or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 8.2 and QuickTime 7.6.2

Apple releases iTunes 8.2 and QuickTime 7.6.2

post #1 of 48
Apple on Monday released iTunes 8.2, a new version of its media cataloging software with support for the upcoming iPhone Software 3.0 release. It was accompanied by a recommended maintenance update for QuickTime 7.6.

iTunes 8.2

iTunes 8.2, available for download here or via Software Update, supports iPhone or iPod touch handhelds loaded with iPhone 3.0 Software Update, which is due for release in the coming weeks.

The new version of iTunes also includes several accessibility improvements and bug fixes, according to a brief set of release notes.

Registered iPhone developers have had access to iTunes 8.2 since late April when Apple released a new beta of iPhone Software 3.0 that was incompatible with the then current iTunes 8.1 release.

QuickTime 7.6.2

Joining the release of iTunes 8.2 is QuickTime 7.6.2, a recommended update for all QuickTime 7 users that includes changes that increase reliability, improve compatibility and enhance security.

More specifically, the release is said to improve compatibility with Apple ProRes media and feature a handful of security updates.

As of press time, QuickTime 7.6.2 was available only via Software Update.
post #2 of 48
Im excited for 3.0!
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #3 of 48
I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

Not that I'm getting one, just wondering since they were promoting itune support.
post #4 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post

I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

Not that I'm getting one, just wondering since they were promoting itune support.

Good question, I guess we will find out in 5 days.
post #5 of 48
Quote:

Probably won't. As many have pointed out already, the Pre simply lets you transfer music just as a lot of other mp3 players already do. There's still more you can do with an ipod/iphone when syncing with itunes than you can do with a Pre. To block out the Pre would actually be a dumb move since it would mean Pre owners would use other methods to get their mp3s.
post #6 of 48
Quote:

"Pre Locked Out of iTunes"

That would make great 1st day news for the pre wouldn't it?
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Probably won't. As many have pointed out already, the Pre simply lets you transfer music just as a lot of other mp3 players already do. There's still more you can do with an ipod/iphone when syncing with itunes than you can do with a Pre. To block out the Pre would actually be a dumb move since it would mean Pre owners would use other methods to get their mp3s.

Stopping pre from syncing with iTunes would be a bad move unless they kick it [ pre ] in its ass with their OS 3.0 release.
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #8 of 48
Quote:

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think the article said only the Mac OS version of iTunes let the Pre work on it? If I am correct it ends up kind of a mute point since (I am speculating) if you own a Mac computer there is a very high chance you will buy an iPhone over a Pre most of the time.
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, but I think the article said only the Mac OS version of iTunes let the Pre work on it? If I am correct it ends up kind of a mute point since (I am speculating) if you own a Mac computer there is a very high chance you will buy an iPhone over a Pre most of the time.

I haven't heard anything like that so I can't speak to that. If that's the case, then it's Palm who is making a bad decision here. I'm fairly certain though that if it will work on the Mac version of iTunes, it should work on the Windows version of iTunes. No way would Palm completely ignore the fact that a very large portion (if not most) of their customers will be working with Windows.
post #10 of 48
Quote:

I haven't heard anything like that so I can't speak to that. If that's the case, then it's Palm who is making a bad decision here. I'm fairly certain though that if it will work on the Mac version of iTunes, it should work on the Windows version of iTunes. No way would Palm completely ignore the fact that a very large portion (if not most) of their customers will be working with Windows.

"Palm Pre syncs with iTunes on a Mac just like an iPhone"

that is the headline of a story from last week, it does not explain if it was tried on both platforms or just Mac.
post #11 of 48
Did they do this last year with iTunes? Is there ANY hope the new iPhone hardware will ship next week? Looks to me like NO based on parts rumors and channel inventory reports..
post #12 of 48
[QUOTE=Tracker;1424629]I wonder if this will still work with the Pre or lock it out before they introduce it?

"APPLE iTUNES SOFTWARE IS TO BE USED WITH HARDWARE MADE BY APPLE. ANY OTHER USE IS THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (including devices made by other companies who stoop to hiring former Apple execs, who are in violation of the spirit of their noncompetes!)

PRE DEE DEE!
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

"APPLE iTUNES SOFTWARE IS TO BE USED WITH HARDWARE MADE BY APPLE. ANY OTHER USE IS THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (including devices made by other companies who stoop to hiring former Apple execs, who are in violation of the spirit of their noncompetes!)

Strange, even Apple does not really seem to agree: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172?viewlocale=en_US

Actually Palm is only driving people to the iTunes Store by relying on iTunes. People coming to the iTunes Store will eventually buy TV shows or movies, and may then want a phone that is able to play those... Apple must love that move.
post #14 of 48
[QUOTE=rnp1;1424646]
Quote:

PRE DEE DEE!

I wonder the Windows version of iTunes is all about then.
post #15 of 48
Quote:

What an inane question - why would Apple block it when they already have an open mechanism to support alternative players?
post #16 of 48
Quote:

Let other's connect to iTunes. Let iTunes and iPhone sell on their own merits, not the fact that they can lock other people out. If the pre is a good phone / media device then it will be good for competition. If it is not it will take care of itself. I like my iPhone but I have nothing against the pre. Why should I?
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Did they do this last year with iTunes? Is there ANY hope the new iPhone hardware will ship next week? Looks to me like NO based on parts rumors and channel inventory reports..

Shipped no. Announced yes.
post #18 of 48
[QUOTE=lkrupp;1424649]
Quote:

I wonder the Windows version of iTunes is all about then.

PROFITS
post #19 of 48
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. Apple doesn't like to share so I wouldn't doubt they disabled the Pre from connecting. Oopsy.
post #20 of 48
Quote:

Do any other players actually sync with iTunes? I don't see why blocking it would be dumb, while there are other ways to sync, they don't necessarily work as smoothly as iTunes does.
post #21 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

What an inane question - why would Apple block it when they already have an open mechanism to support alternative players?

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device, which opens up some functionality that Apple has held close to its vest.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device, which opens up some functionality that Apple has held close to its vest.

I am fairly certain that it doesn't open up any new functionality, or not much anyway.

I think the reason for doing this is that if Palm did it officially they would have to ask, because it's like an official Apple program to allow, or to not allow devices to use iTunes (and they haven't allowed any new ones for a while.) I think Palm did this so they could say they had compatibility in the press release and so Apple couldn't take it away from them without explicitly doing so in the glare of the public eye.

This gives Apple only two responses. Either they have a hissy fit and disallow the Pre (and Pre mops up with the PR on that and then they allow them anyway), or they say "okay" but let's do it right" and give them a nice icon.

From Palms point of view both these answers are essentially "yes," whereas if they asked first, the answer could easily have been "no."
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #23 of 48
Quote:

"SIMULATING AN APPLE PRODUCT IS A VIOLATION OF THE SOFTWARE AGREEMENT AND A THEFT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" (Now how do you suppose?... Not from Jon Rubenstein? That would violate the spirit of his noncompete, and break Steve's heart. Like when Bill Gates heisted the Desktop software from Apple!) Oh, maybe JR signed a "PREnup"!
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Jeff Carlson at TidBits pointed out that they're probably trying to trickle stuff out this year so they don't have problems like they did last year with Mobile Me. Too many things shipping at once and so on...
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I am fairly certain that it doesn't open up any new functionality, or not much anyway.

I think the reason for doing this is that if Palm did it officially they would have to ask, because it's like an official Apple program to allow, or to not allow devices to use iTunes (and they haven't allowed any new ones for a while.) I think Palm did this so they could say they had compatibility in the press release and so Apple couldn't take it away from them without explicitly doing so in the glare of the public eye.

This gives Apple only two responses. Either they have a hissy fit and disallow the Pre (and Pre mops up with the PR on that and then they allow them anyway), or they say "okay" but let's do it right" and give them a nice icon.

From Palms point of view both these answers are essentially "yes," whereas if they asked first, the answer could easily have been "no."

Well, for instance the Pre will apparently sync with iPhoto, which I do not think is typical of generic devices recognized by iTunes.
post #26 of 48
How the fook did this turn into a conversation about the Pre?
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Stopping pre from syncing with iTunes would be a bad move unless they kick it [ pre ] in its ass with their OS 3.0 release.

Palm can build their own Audio/Video sync software backend.
post #28 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Palm can build their own Audio/Video sync software backend.

Actually they can use iTunes and all they should need to do this is available from Apple (since 2002 I think).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

iPhone 3.0 will more than likely be released however...
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Actually they can use iTunes and all they should need to do this is available from Apple (since 2002 I think).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2172

That API is older than iTunes itself (comes from SoundJam), and the newest player supported there is older than the first iPod. We know for a fact that the Pre is not using this API, and that Palm are not legitimately syncing, as a Pre displays as an iPod in iTunes.
post #31 of 48
Quote:

My understanding is that the Pre takes it a step further by identifying itself as an Apple device

My understanding is a bunch of people are talking out their a$$ and speculating about an unreleased product.

Can we at least let the Pre ship and see what Apple does or doesn't do before casting them as the Great Satan?

I know it's not the fun thing to do, but it is the reasonable approach to take.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

My understanding is a bunch of people are talking out their a$$ and speculating about an unreleased product.

Can we at least let the Pre ship and see what Apple does or doesn't do before casting them as the Great Satan?

I know it's not the fun thing to do, but it is the reasonable approach to take.

As linked to in another thread, Gruber has some pretty specific observations regarding how the Pre is talking to iTunes.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
post #33 of 48
Quote:

Well, for instance the Pre will apparently sync with iPhoto, which I do not think is typical of generic devices recognized by iTunes.

My Nokia's sync with iTunes. Is there some big secret that Apple is hiding here by not allowing iTunes to talk to other devices? It seems that this sites Appleista Brigades are all flustered over a non-starter issue. How will the Pre syncing to iTunes affect the "shareholders" here? It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content. Is this really that important a story? Why hasn't AI mentioned that Apple may charge for redownloading previously purchased game content. Seems to have made it in a few other places than here.... AI only reports good news bias maybe...
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

My Nokia's sync with iTunes.

No, they don't they sync with a third-party app that accesses an XML export of the iTunes library. Blackberries work the same.

Quote:
It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content.

No, it's a device pretending to be an iPod in order to sync the exact way iPods do.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

... How will the Pre syncing to iTunes affect the "shareholders" here? It is just another device syncing non-DRM'd content. Is this really that important a story? ...

As far as I know Apple created iTunes to sell hardware (iPods and now iPhones), so why should Apple allow
other companies to use part of Apple's ecosystem to sell non Apple hardware?
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

As far as I know Apple created iTunes to sell hardware (iPods and now iPhones), so why should Apple allow

Because as iTunes becomes bigger and bigger and takes more Market share, Apple would be in a position to abuse that to eliminate competition. These lessons have already been learned as a result of Microsofts success. We need to put measures in place now to stop Apple from getting to the same point, and cracking open iTunes is a good way of doing this. Unfortunately for Apple, that might mean they sell less hardware, but it's better that way than allowing them to become too big and powerful.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Because as iTunes becomes bigger and bigger and takes more Market share, Apple would be in a position to abuse that to eliminate competition. These lessons have already been learned as a result of Microsofts success. We need to put measures in place now to stop Apple from getting to the same point, and cracking open iTunes is a good way of doing this. Unfortunately for Apple, that might mean they sell less hardware, but it's better that way than allowing them to become too big and powerful.

If Apple can arm twist the RIAA, the MPAA and the independent labels into creating iTunes only exclusive content, we can worry about monopoly. If DRM free iTunes plus content cannot be played on another player, then worry about lock-in.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #38 of 48
How big is Apple's share in the music distribution business ~20-30% (in the USA)?
Apple has grown to be the biggest distributor in the USA, but I think they are far from a monopoly.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

No, they don't they sync with a third-party app that accesses an XML export of the iTunes library. Blackberries work the same.

No, it's a device pretending to be an iPod in order to sync the exact way iPods do.

And this is bad why?
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I never ceases to amaze me at how Appleistas continue to think that everyone wants and iPod or iPhone.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 8.2 and QuickTime 7.6.2