or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

post #1 of 162
As Apple's WWDC opening keynote looms, one prominent blogger claims that Apple may embark on a new naming scheme for its next iPhone and that battery life, speed and video capabilities will be the key selling points.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball hears that the upcoming models have been given the codename "iPhone 3GS," though whether this is simply an internal Apple moniker or the final naming scheme is uncertain. What the "S" might mean is just as indeterminate; Gruber speculates that it may be "speed," an allusion to the faster processor and additional RAM that have repeatedly been rumored as part of the update.

New, however, is an assertion that the upgraded models will have extended battery life. The new models will reportedly have "15-20 percent" more useful lifespan between charges than the iPhone 3G, addressing a common complaint about today's handsets.

The writer also recapitulates expectations for other features based on his unnamed sources, which echo many other reports: he anticipates 16GB and 32GB models priced at $199 and $299 respectively, and believes that Apple will emphasize video editing as one of the most important software features.

Turning more towards speculation, he adds that cheaper iPhones are likely but that he suspects any move on Apple's part is more likely to entail a large price cut on the existing 8GB iPhone 3G, which could drop to as low as $99 on a contract. Any genuinely redesigned product to fit the category isn't likely so soon, Gruber believes.

While the late outline of Apple's plans for Monday hasn't been corroborated elsewhere, the blogger has had an accurate track record as of late, detailing Apple's exact plans for unibody MacBooks just hours before they became official the same day.
post #2 of 162
Does video capabilities include a front facing camera?
post #3 of 162
New, however, is an assertion that the upgraded models will have extended battery life. The new models will reportedly have "15-20 percent" more useful lifespan between charges than the iPhone 3G.

Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? Didn't Apple mention that part of 3.0 was improved battery life? I need to be an analyst.
post #4 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebudda View Post

Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? Didn't Apple mention that part of 3.0 was improved battery life? I need to be an analyst.

We expect that each OS revision will be a little more power efficient (thought 15-20% wont liekyl happen with just an OS update), but this is about the new iPhone hardware.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 162
FINALLY!

VIDEO.

Something every phone has been able to do since 2005.

Now the GF and I can get back to taking videos.
post #6 of 162
hahaha, that is exactly why video alone is going be enough for me to upgrade
post #7 of 162
Excuse me.. iPhone 3GS? Do they really need to start with the awful car-like naming conventions? Blech. I guess there's no avoiding it if they are going to carry more variations in the lineup.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 162
to be honest, longer battery life would be a huge plus for anyone who commutes daily for school or business. i purchased a psp for watching videos while on the train to commute daily. the iphone battery would drain and i cannot have that happen on a daily commute. this would be a great upgrade for all users who commute, students and business professionals. cannot wait for tomorrow. appleinsider is the best!
post #9 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

hahaha, that is exactly why video alone is going be enough for me to upgrade

Yeah except I can't seem to get my iPhone to stand up on its side for filming purposes, of course.

They might need to come out with a vertical dock.\
post #10 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Yeah except I can't seem to get my iPhone to stand up on its side for filming purposes, of course.

They might need to come out with a vertical dock.

it's called a hand. comes free for 99.99% of the population.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #11 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

to be honest, longer battery life would be a huge plus for anyone who commutes daily for school or business. i purchased a psp for watching videos while on the train to commute daily. the iphone battery would drain and i cannot have that happen on a daily commute. this would be a great upgrade for all users who commute, students and business professionals. cannot wait for tomorrow. appleinsider is the best!

I think you may need an external battery pack. While 15-20% is nice, if the next iPhone does indeed playback 720p you may be loading higher-res video over time.
post #12 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Does video capabilities include a front facing camera?

blab alkjdflkajdsf;lkasdf

Edited by jarroyo1031 - 8/2/13 at 9:50pm
post #13 of 162
POV! haha
post #14 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Excuse me.. iPhone 3GS? Do they really need to start with the awful car-like naming conventions? Blech. I guess there's no avoiding it if they are going to carry more variations in the lineup.

So the next iPhone that comes out with faster processor, more RAM, will be called the iPhone 3GSS, the SS standing for "Super Sonic"!

Apple should just designate it the iPhone. Why change Apple's simplicity for naming it's products like iMac. It gets improved, still called the iMac! Same for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Power Mac.

Don't need an HP scheme like they have for the HP Pavilion Elite m9500z series, HP Pavilion Elite m9500t series, HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX series, or HP Pavilion Elite m9600t series.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #15 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

maybe it's otherwise occupied.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #16 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So the next iPhone that comes out with faster processor, more RAM, will be called the iPhone 3GSS, the SS standing for "Super Sonic"!

Apple should just designate it the iPhone. Why change Apple's simplicity for naming it's products like iMac. It gets improved, still called the iMac! Same for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Power Mac.

Don't need an HP scheme like they have for the HP Pavilion Elite m9500z series, HP Pavilion Elite m9500t series, HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX series, or HP Pavilion Elite m9600t series.

That article states that S stands for the CPU, RAM, but since its appended to 3G I think its more likely that its referring to the faster up and down speeds of HSUPA that is expected with this new phone.

That said, I dont think Apple would name the device something odd like that. Its just not Apple-ish. I think iPhone Video makes the most since at this point.
post #17 of 162
Is it possible that the new iPhone will use integrated solar panels to use the light from LCD? I believe Apple already patent that but is the technology there yet?

They should call it iPhone without any additions.
post #18 of 162
Finally, a telephone that can edit video, fold proteins and find a cure for cancer, while it gives YOU cancer! As with all religions, the iPhone is the cause of, and solution to all your problems.
post #19 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

maybe it's otherwise occupied.

haahaha so true
post #20 of 162
Enough about the iPhone...

As long as I get my snappy new Snow Leopard with Marble served on the side, I'll be perfectly happy.
post #21 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Finally, a telephone that can edit video, fold proteins and find a cure for cancer, while it gives YOU cancer! As with all religions, the iPhone is the cause of, and solution to all your problems.

hahaha
post #22 of 162
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #23 of 162
apple ii gs > apple 3 gs
post #24 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik View Post

*Gets on ground and begins to pray in the direction of Cupertino.*

MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
MacBook Pro 17" Glossy 2.93GHz, iPad 64GB, iPhone 4 16GB, and a lot of other assorted goodies.

If you're a troll and you have been slain. Don't be a Zombie.
post #25 of 162
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering where I could watch the live stream of WWDC 2009?

Thanks
post #26 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarroyo1031 View Post

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering where I could watch the live stream of WWDC 2009?

Thanks

No such thing I believe. You can read live updates though, thats what I'll be doing.
post #27 of 162
condolences. to make this relevant, was this allegedly taken by the new iphone?
post #28 of 162
Quote:

Haha. I was trying to find my friend a new battery for his HP and it was impossible not only to figure out what model he had, but to find the exact battery for his HP Pavilion dv6000 CTO Elite

BTW, we're past the Power Mac (on the Mac Pro)
post #29 of 162
where can you find live updates from wwdc?
many thanks!
post #30 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

FINALLY!

VIDEO.

Something every phone has been able to do since 2005.

Now the GF and I can get back to taking videos.

How many of those videos taken on a cell phone are watchable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Come on now, really? You can't see how that's not always a convenient or optimal system? Not to mention, usually not very stable? Tripods are made and used for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

apple ii gs > apple 3 gs

Flash from the past. Though the name sounds a little awkward and not like what Apple does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

No such thing I believe. You can read live updates though, thats what I'll be doing.

Apple hasn't had a public live even stream in maybe five years. It also used to be that it was broadcast on an occasional video satellite channel, anyone with the right equipment can pick it up, but I think they did away with that too.
post #31 of 162
Check this link:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....5&d=1244312440

If they release this tomorrow i will run 20 miles to my nearest Apple Store !!!
post #32 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post

condolences. to make this relevant, was this allegedly taken by the new iphone?

That would be something for sure!

Thai's love the iPhone and are waiting for the next release.

(Ok, moderator I see. Will behave.)
post #33 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by skate71290 View Post

Check this link:

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment....5&d=1244312440

If they release this tomorrow i will run 20 miles to my nearest Apple Store !!!

That looks interesting, but it doesn't seem quite right.

Also, I would hope that Apple changes that vibrate enable switch. It's so easy to accidentally toggle. I think it should be more like the hold switches on some of their older iPods, I can't say I've ever accidentally toggled those switches.
post #34 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlygirl View Post

many thanks!

macworld does updates
post #35 of 162
I'm just sick that this story/forum thread is at the top of Google News.
I really wish I believed that Hell existed, because that's the appropriate place for people who think what Apple does is newsworthy.
post #36 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlygirl View Post

many thanks!

I usually go through digg.com and categorize it into only Apple through the technology menu. There you can find live updates, or just Google. Shouldn't be to hard there is usually tons of different reporters covering these Apple events, and this one WILL be big!
post #37 of 162
Quote:

I don't know about that. HP needs all those names because they are selling them all at the same time (along with a few dozen other models).
With Apple, they keep a slim lineup so there is less confusion. Still, every new model has its identifiers, even if the general public isn't aware of it. So the 3GS might be the identifier, but to 95% of the buyers, it will the the "iPhone" with maybe the MB count to identify it.

For example, I am typing this on a 15" PowerBook. But if I need a part, it is a 15" Titanium PowerBook G4 1GHz.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #38 of 162
Leave then.
post #39 of 162
When Apple do something they do it right, so if this new iPhone is all about video, it will be the videoingest phone of them all. We will all know in 16hrs.
post #40 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by over View Post

I'm just sick that this story/forum thread is at the top of Google News.
I really wish I believed that Hell existed, because that's the appropriate place for people who think what Apple does is newsworthy.

I'm just sick that you will never log back on to see all my tongues sticking out at you...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC