or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC - Page 4

post #121 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Well, I for one won't argue with you.

(Just kidding, Mel. Just kidding)

It's ok. despite what some people may think. I actually do have a sense of humor.
post #122 of 162
Wow...more battery life. Isn't that already obvious? Don't know why people here get excited. All you do is find reasons to complain about what is eventually released because you rely on rumor sites, and then get upset when either the information officially announced is already known, or the rumor you kept believing in wasn't true.

So can't wait for that.
post #123 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If you gave someone the choice of the exact same battery with the otion of either having it sealed or replaceable most would choose the latter. SO the issue is not old. The arguement on here to support a sealed battery is just tired. It's strictly a fanboy mentality.

You talked about getting a Pre, if you do get one will you buy a second battery?
With your current phone do you have a second battery?

The sealed battery has pluses,

Smaller design
Doesn't fall out as phone ages.
On my old phone dirt and grim started to corrode the terminals.
Only time battery replacement became an issue was when battery life became 30 min
(Now that the iPhone no longer solders in the battery you can replace it for that reason)
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #124 of 162
Quote:

Why don't you just carry a whole power generator around with you then?

You know, when you get a battery low warning, and you're in the middle of something, it's easier to:

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing, than to:

Get out of the app, or say goodby to whomever you're on the phone with, then;

Turn off your phone and wait for it to close down.

Remove the battery cover.

Take out the old battery.

Get the new battery out.

Put the old battery in your pocket.

Put the new battery in.

Get the cover from wherever you put it.

Put the cover back on.

Turn the phone back on and wait for it to finish re-booting.

Find the app you were using and re-start it,

Or call the person you were speaking to before.
post #125 of 162
Quote:

If you gave someone the choice of the exact same battery with the otion of either having it sealed or replaceable most would choose the latter. SO the issue is not old. The arguement on here to support a sealed battery is just tired. It's strictly a fanboy mentality.

Only YOU want a replaceable battery. How many extra batteries do you lug around with your cell phone, laptop, etc.? Do you fill up your pockets with batteries wherever you go so you will always have one available? Your argument for replaceable batteries is getting old.
post #126 of 162
Quote:

You THINK most people would choose it. You don't KNOW most people would choose it.
post #127 of 162
Quote:

Hello- I own a phone, a camera , and a video camera- all of which have swappable batteries. Therefore I know of what I speak. You can put your iPhone back where it belongs now- -OUCH!.

Even though its a bad premise because those are very different then phones.

Do you own multiple batteries for all of them?
post #128 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

You talked about getting a Pre, if you do get one will you buy a second battery?

Smaller design
Only time battery replacement became an issue was when battery life became 30 min
(Now that the iPhone no longer solders in the battery you can replace it for that reason)

Unfortunately he's not gonna get Pre because his pocket is even too tight for the giant iPhone, not to mention the thicker Pre.
post #129 of 162
He is... BATTERY MAN
post #130 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Smaller design

Can charge all batteries at once without middle of the night swapping. Some even allow power-passthrough, therby requiring only one charger.

Many more options for external batteries to fit more user needs. For example, an external that costs less than internal battery but holds several charges compared to internal equivalents.

Can still be used with each new generation of iDevice.

Stronger shell and larger internal battery due to lack of a user accesssible slide panel.

I don't think anyone begrudged Beetlejuice's preference for a wanting an user replaceable internal battery but, per his usual MO, having a differnet need or seeing the value of other choices makes us fanboys. It really does get old.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #131 of 162
Let's hope this longer battery life model idea spreads to the iPod touch. I'd be delighted to see Apple drop the easily scratched stainless steel cover for a slip-resistant plastic and offer two models, one thicker and more curved with a longer battery life. The current version is thinner than necessary and it'd be nice to have that life for playing movies on longer trips.

And lets hope Apple improves Bluetooth on the iPhone/touch. My years-old Razr has more Bluetooth capabilities. That and WiFi-n.
post #132 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You know, when you get a battery low warning, and you're in the middle of something, it's easier to:

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing...

I forgot about that benefit. Those external charge to 80% in something like 10-20 minutes so you don't need to keep it attached the entire time.
post #133 of 162

The advantage of replaceable battery is not that you carry 55 batteries in your pockets and swap them on the go.

It comes in handy, when someone manages to produce better battery, more capable, than your actual one. Then you replace your battery.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #134 of 162
Quote:

Get the plug-in battery/recharger out of your pocket and plug it in while continuing to do what you were doing, than to:

Get out of the app, or say goodby to whomever you're on the phone with, then;

Turn off your phone and wait for it to close down.

Remove the battery cover.

Take out the old battery.

Get the new battery out.

Put the old battery in your pocket.

Put the new battery in.

Get the cover from wherever you put it.

Put the cover back on.

Turn the phone back on and wait for it to finish re-booting.

Find the app you were using and re-start it,

Or call the person you were speaking to before.

And how do you do that in some unfamiliar city half way through your trip from one side of the planet to the other? If you fly Sydney to Europe that's 22 hours just flying time on one flight. In reality it's usually a 3 day trek even if you don't stop anywhere. Then time stuck in lounges, buses, trains, eating. So when my iPod (or iPhone, which I don't have) dies after 4-8 hours, that's it, end of utility, it's just more junk to carry around. Or I just go through that horrible rigmarole, about the same time I swap SIMs, with my Nokia and can navigate, call people, read my email (the web is fairly pointless, though, including on an iPhone) for the whole trip.

Why don't you just admit that you're a sad apologist for Apple? If they announce a polished turd today you'll probably be here gushing about it and admonishing people who complain about the smell. Really, either that or you just don't actually do anything useful other than stroke your Apple products all day.
post #135 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

And how do you do that in some unfamiliar city half way through your trip from one side of the planet to the other? If you fly Sydney to Europe that's 22 hours just flying time on one flight. In reality it's usually a 3 day trek even if you don't stop anywhere. Then time stuck in lounges, buses, trains, eating. So when my iPod (or iPhone, which I don't have) dies after 4-8 hours, that's it, end of utility, it's just more junk to carry around. Or I just go through that horrible rigmarole, about the same time I swap SIMs, with my Nokia and can navigate, call people, read my email (the web is fairly pointless, though, including on an iPhone) for the whole trip.

And I suppose that you have 4-5 extra batteries that you charge-up in advance for your Nokia so you can last a full 3 days without plugging in to the wall? You know as well as everyone else that there are power-outlets everywhere throughout a journey (even on some airplanes -- and certainly those that are used for long flights). How are extra internal batteries any different than extra external batteries? I would think that the external pack (which would get much longer battery-life than an internal battery) would be the perfect solution for a long trip. When I went to Europe a number of years ago, I bought an external battery for my 1Gen iPod Shuffle into which I could pop AAA batteries. How much better a solution was that than being able to access the internal battery to swap it out?
post #136 of 162
Quote:

Why don't you just admit that you're a sad apologist for Apple? If they announce a polished turd today you'll probably be here gushing about it and admonishing people who complain about the smell. Really, either that or you just don't actually do anything useful other than stroke your Apple products all day.

That's ridiculous. (1) How often do you take 22-hour flights? (2) Even if/when you do, and assuming an aggressive 6 hours of battery life, don't you, according to your own argument, have to carry three extra batteries? (3) Why not just get an adapter for lounges, etc, since after all, you'll need it for your charger anyway, once you get to that country (or in transit)? (4) Why not just choose an airline that provides power outlets? (5) Why not just buy an external battery pack?
post #137 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Unfortunately he's not gonna get Pre because his pocket is even too tight for the giant iPhone, not to mention the thicker Pre.

I don't know why this isn't brought up more. The iPhone is a truly large phone. My current phone is 10 x 45 x 110 mm. My next phone is about the same dimensions and has 3 band HSPA, GPS, BT, WiFI, FM, VOIP, VGA video camera and a huge battery. Now I like to wear tight jeans, as you'll all be pleased to know, and even I don't notice my phone my jeans, except when I sit down.
post #138 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The advantage of replaceable battery is not that you carry 55 batteries in your pockets and swap them on the go.

It comes in handy, when someone manages to produce better battery, more capable, than your actual one. Then you replace your battery.

There are two small screws at the bottom of the case of the iPhone (and I imagine of the Touch as well). Remove the screws, and you can replace the non-soldered-in battery for a more powerful one when one comes out. These batteries, available from several vendors when they come out, are also much cheaper than the external batteries from companies like Palm for their own phones.

It takes a short time to do, and you only have to do it once as the batteries last a long time these days.
post #139 of 162
Quote:

Uh, no, frogtard, that never happens. Battery technology is stuck on lithium polymer and hardly improves year to year. It what's holding us all back.

Just don't be so quick in judging the technology, nor in writing in English. It's a fault for a blog writer.

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #140 of 162
Quote:

You post makes no sense at all. None!

You haven't shown the advantage of having several rechargeable batteries as opposed to external ones. None!

Don't be childish here. If you have nothing useful to say, don't bother.
post #141 of 162
Quote:

I don't know why this isn't brought up more. The iPhone is a truly large phone. My current phone is 10 x 45 x 110 mm. My next phone is about the same dimensions and has 3 band HSPA, GPS, BT, WiFI, FM, VOIP, VGA video camera and a huge battery. Now I like to wear tight jeans, as you'll all be pleased to know, and even I don't notice my phone my jeans, except when I sit down.

The iPhone is no bigger than most smartphones, and smaller than some.

We're all very happy to know that you think you're sexy.
post #142 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's ridiculous. (1) How often do you take 22-hour flights? (2) Even if/when you do, and assuming an aggressive 6 hours of battery life, don't you, according to your own argument, have to carry three extra batteries? (3) Why not just get an adapter for lounges, etc, since after all, you'll need it for your charger anyway, once you get to that country (or in transit)? (4) Why not just choose an airline that provides power outlets? (5) Why not just buy an external battery pack?

You don't travel do you? Everything is inconvenient when you travel. Got the charger in you carry on? What you stored your carry on? Oh you don't have the right physical adaptor? You can't find a powerpoint? I mean there are power points on the streets of any big city, right? But lets say you did, then you have to stand by the wall looking like an idiot for 30 minutes. And you're always on time for your flights and they arrive early mostly so you don't have to get into town to meet whoever or do whatever or catch your next flight.

But hell, you can charge on your plane. The new, modern plane that actually has power ports and you have a compatible cable. And that you've spent 3 to 4 times the cost of an economy ticket so you can fly business class, that's around $3000 more, to solve a $30 problem. And I fly often enough for it to be a problem.

Yes, I carry 3 actual batteries with me. They weigh about an ounce each. It's such a strain.

Get in line behind all the other Apple apologists making fools of themselves in this forum.
post #143 of 162
Quote:

There are two small screws at the bottom of the case of the iPhone (and I imagine of the Touch as well). Remove the screws, and you can replace the non-soldered-in battery for a more powerful one when one comes out. These batteries, available from several vendors when they come out, are also much cheaper than the external batteries from companies like Palm for their own phones.

It takes a short time to do, and you only have to do it once as the batteries last a long time these days.

Thank you. My contract ends in September, and I certainly will.
It's not so simple in Apple's case. You gotta be Apple certified. It discourages vendors.

P.S. This one is mighty: "1600mAh Replacement Battery Pack for Apple iPhone 3G"

We mean Apple no harm.

We mean Apple no harm.

post #144 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

And I suppose that you have 4-5 extra batteries that you charge-up in advance for your Nokia so you can last a full 3 days without plugging in to the wall? You know as well as everyone else that there are power-outlets everywhere throughout a journey (even on some airplanes -- and certainly those that are used for long flights). How are extra internal batteries any different than extra external batteries? I would think that the external pack (which would get much longer battery-life than an internal battery) would be the perfect solution for a long trip. When I went to Europe a number of years ago, I bought an external battery for my 1Gen iPod Shuffle into which I could pop AAA batteries. How much better a solution was that than being able to access the internal battery to swap it out?

More junk to carry that is much bigger and heavier than extra internal batteries. It's very inefficient charging one battery from another, much of the power is lost in heat.

But the larger point is, why is having a sealed battery so inconvenient? What was benefit of it again? And I carry 3 batteries, not 4 or 5, they seem to last for a trip of 48 to 60 hours.
post #145 of 162
Quote:

The iPhone is no bigger than most smartphones, and smaller than some.

We're all very happy to know that you think you're sexy.

No, its much bigger. The Nokia E55 is much smaller that an iPhone. Doesn't the fact that you think such a basic, concrete fact is not true cause you to question your attitude toward the iPhone, that maybe, it's a little irrational?

And there's nothing sexy about me in jeans.
post #146 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I find that the best solution for those long trips without a a power cable is my notebooks battery. When my iPhone gets low I just plug it into my notebook via the 30-pin-to-USB cable and I get many, many charges off my MBs battery.

The problem with Merdheads example is thatwhen you are waiting for flights/buses/trains you are often without many outlet choices. You may be waiting for others to finish up of have to go sit in some out of the way area to charge. I bring a Monster travel power strip that has 4 outlets on it. I can charge up my MacBook, my iPhone and my external iPhone battery at once while still having a forth for my digital camera or for the person I may ask to remove their plug so I plug in my power strip.

Quote:

What kind of phone do you currently have? What phone will be your next one? I ask because for a smartphone with a 3 plus display the iPhone is not large at all.
post #147 of 162
Quote:

You post makes no sense at all. None!

You haven't shown the advantage of having several rechargeable batteries as opposed to external ones. None!

Don't be childish here. If you have nothing useful to say, don't bother.

You're either being silly or you're delusional:

Being able to use your phone versus not being able to use your phone. Given that you cannot recharge, which is a common reality when you travel. Saying that you can recharge your iPhone is just not practical.
post #148 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I find that the best solution for those long trips without a a power cable is my notebook’s battery. When my iPhone gets low I just plug it into my notebook via the 30-pin-to-USB cable and I get many, many charges off my MB’s battery.

The problem with Merdhead’s example is thatwhen you are waiting for flights/buses/trains you are often without many outlet choices. You may be waiting for others to finish up of have to go sit in some out of the way area to charge. I bring a Monster travel power strip that has 4 outlets on it. I can charge up my MacBook, my iPhone and my external iPhone battery at once while still having a forth for my digital camera or for the person I may ask to remove their plug so I plug in my power strip.

What kind of phone do you currently have? What phone will be your next one? I ask because for a smartphone with a 3” plus display the iPhone is not large at all.

The phone I'm getting is a Nokia E55. I wouldn't say that the iPhone is large for what it is, as you say, but it's a large phone in absolute terms. Having a small phone is very important if you don't have a handbag. And I don't have a handbag.

I might add that I travel only with hand luggage, even internationaly. It make a huge difference, but it means that anything you take with you is dead weight on your shoulder.
post #149 of 162
Quote:

The phone I'm getting is a Nokia E55. I wouldn't say that the iPhone is large for what it is, as you say, but it's a large phone in absolute terms. Having a small phone is very important if you don't have a handbag. And I don't have a handbag.

I might add that I travel only with hand luggage, even internationaly. It make a huge difference, but it means that anything you take with you is dead weight on your shoulder.

Fair enough, but by that measure even your E55 is too large for some people, especially thought that dont want to be tied to the internet constantly.

If you check the Nokia N97 with a 3.5 display the size and weight are more than iPhone. Though in Nokias defense, the aspect ratio on the N97 means that the area of the 16:9 display is larger than the iPhones 3:2 display ratio.
post #150 of 162
Quote:

You don't travel do you? Everything is inconvenient when you travel. Got the charger in you carry on? What you stored your carry on? Oh you don't have the right physical adaptor? You can't find a powerpoint? I mean there are power points on the streets of any big city, right? But lets say you did, then you have to stand by the wall looking like an idiot for 30 minutes. And you're always on time for your flights and they arrive early mostly so you don't have to get into town to meet whoever or do whatever or catch your next flight.

But hell, you can charge on your plane. The new, modern plane that actually has power ports and you have a compatible cable. And that you've spent 3 to 4 times the cost of an economy ticket so you can fly business class, that's around $3000 more, to solve a $30 problem. And I fly often enough for it to be a problem.

Yes, I carry 3 actual batteries with me. They weigh about an ounce each. It's such a strain.

Get in line behind all the other Apple apologists making fools of themselves in this forum.

That's still not an answer.

You can do the same with the external units. They aren't much bigger, or heavier, cost about the same, or less, and they're less hassle.
post #151 of 162
Quote:

That's still not an answer.

You can do the same with the external units. They aren't much bigger, or heavier, cost about the same, or less, and they're less hassle.

And, as previously mentioned over and over, one slightly larger and cheaper external can do the charge the same amount as several internals without needing to turn off the phone and take it apart. Plus, on a plane someone might think you are making a bomb and jump you.
post #152 of 162
Quote:

You're either being silly or you're delusional:

Being able to use your phone versus not being able to use your phone. Given that you cannot recharge, which is a common reality when you travel. Saying that you can recharge your iPhone is just not practical.

You're the one here who isn't making any sense. You're thinking that your solution is better when it isn't.

Don't make the mistake to think that people who like the iPhone and who aren't having problems with it are fanboys or not thinking properly.

You're making up problems that exist for either an internal battery that can be replaced, or one that can use an external model. The external models do have the advantage of not requiring you to turn off your apps and phone, and they do recharge the battery pretty quickly, while allowing the use of the phone meanwhile.

For normal people, that is, people who don't make constant 22 hour flights, in other words 99.9999% of the population, the lack of an external battery is no problem at all.

I've had several smartphones with replaceable batteries, and never needed to use them. It's very rare that people do that.

This is something that you refuse to understand.

So don't get all emo on us while saying the we're the ones who are.

You don't like the phone, and that's fine. Just say so and leave it at that. But don't make up an issue that doesn't exist for the vast majority of users.
post #153 of 162
Quote:

Why am I even talking to a guy that calls himself "shithead?"

As mel said, you have not demonstrated that internal batteries are superior to external batteries for long flights. Outlets are not scarce -- not in airports and not on airplanes (even in coach). Anyone who travels a lot to foreign countries has adapters for different outlet types. I believe that the current iPhone has a 1500 mAh battery; you can find external batteries that are anywhere from 3200 mAh to 5000 mAh, and some can be loaded with AAs. So your 3 replaceable internal batteries would be substituted for one external battery.

We can all agree that if the iPhone had a battery that was capable of 24 hours of video and/or talk that this would be best. However, the claim that swappable internal batteries are a good solution, and an external battery is a bad solution is absurd. They're both equally bad solutions (or equally good solutions). You're simply used to doing it one way.
post #154 of 162
They really do need to up the battery life of the iPhone, because I have the iPhone 3G, and the battery life is terrible on it. The iPhone has so many features/programs, but they drain the battery power really quickly. I feel like 20%, while being beneficial, is still not sufficient. They need to do more in my opinion. For the time being, I went and bought myself an iPhone Battery Pack,which has more than doubled my iPhone battery's life. I wish the stock iPhones could hold a charge that long.
post #155 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Outlets are not scarce -- not in airports and not on airplanes (even in coach).

I haven't found that to be true. I don't fly often, but on the airplanes I was on last month (four different models), none of them had outlets. It was hard to find outlets in the airport lounges too. Not only that, by the time I find one, I only manage about five minutes of charging at most.
post #156 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bateseric View Post

They really do need to up the battery life of the iPhone, because I have the iPhone 3G, and the battery life is terrible on it. The iPhone has so many features/programs, but they drain the battery power really quickly. I feel like 20%, while being beneficial, is still not sufficient. They need to do more in my opinion. For the time being, I went and bought myself an iPhone Battery Pack,which has more than doubled my iPhone battery's life. I wish the stock iPhones could hold a charge that long.

I don't know of any highly featured smartphone that has great battery life. Most have worse.

Look at the Pre. They have a much smaller screen, so you would think they would have much better life, but it doesn't, it's much worse..

Compared to the now old 3G, it has 5 hours talk time compared to 5.5. 5 hours video compared to 7, and 12 hours music compared to 24.

The new 3Gs is better.

Palm used a smaller battery to get a smaller phone.

The N97 is claiming 5.3 hours talk.
post #157 of 162
Quote:

I don't know of any highly featured smartphone that has great battery life. Most have worse.

Look at the Pre. They have a much smaller screen, so you would think they would have much better life, but it doesn't, it's much worse..

Compared to the now old 3G, it has 5 hours talk time compared to 5.5. 5 hours video compared to 7, and 12 hours music compared to 24.

The new 3Gs is better.

Palm used a smaller battery to get a smaller phone.

The N97 is claiming 5.3 hours talk.

AnandTech has a comparison preview up. The Pre fares well against the iPhone, even beats in talk time, which is expected for a CDMA-based phone up against a GSM-based phone where both are running in 3G mode. It looks like the Pre also has truth in battery life times. The real comparison will be when a GSM/WCDMA Palm Pre comes out, but by then Palm should have made HW and OS refinements that will compensate for some of the network differences that give it a leg up right now.
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=611
post #158 of 162
Quote:

AnandTech has a comparison preview up. The Pre fares well against the iPhone, even beats in talk time, which is expected for a CDMA-based phone up against a GSM-based phone where both are running in 3G mode. It looks like the Pre also has truth in battery life times. The real comparison will be when a GSM/WCDMA Palm Pre comes out, but by then Palm should have made HW and OS refinements that will compensate for some of the network differences that give it a leg up right now.
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=611

I've seen a couple of others that show the Pre with less talk time. Much less for everything else.
post #159 of 162
Quote:

I've seen a couple of others that show the Pre with less talk time. Much less for everything else.

Do you have any links? I cant find any other battery times.

I look forward to more current and future iPhone comparisons. It gets me that the iPhone has been lambasted for 2 years now for having a weak battery when it bests pretty much all smartphones, even many CDMA phones, in all the testing Ive seen.
post #160 of 162
Quote:

Do you have any links? I cant find any other battery times.

I look forward to more current and future iPhone comparisons. It gets me that the iPhone has been lambasted for 2 years now for having a weak battery when it bests pretty much all smartphones, even many CDMA phones, in all the testing Ive seen.

Remind me tomorrow. I've got to get to bed, it's 4:00 am.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC