or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC - Page 3

post #81 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Is it possible that the new iPhone will use integrated solar panels to use the light from LCD? I believe Apple already patent that but is the technology there yet?

They should call it iPhone without any additions.

This will still just be an 'iPhone' but consumers should have easy access to a more detailed model number or name to help diagnostics. I used to spend a lot of time over in Apple's iMac forums and it's a real pain explaining to everyone that their new iMac isn't an 'iMac (Flat Panel)'. Apple must have known when they release the iPhone 3G that it wasn't going to be their only 3G iPhone.

I have often thought that the black area around the iPhone/iPod touch screen would be idea for solar panels - they certainly won't provide power for HD video but who knows after a few minutes in the sun they might allow you to make that one 999 (911) call.

EDIT; Spooling and grammar.
post #82 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

Steve Jobs is retiring today.

Hmm... Unlikely.
post #83 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New, however, is an assertion that the upgraded models will have extended battery life. The new models will reportedly have "15-20 percent" more useful lifespan between charges than the iPhone 3G, addressing a common complaint about today's handsets.

Does anyone know if this level of battery life improvement would be consistent with the adoption of an OLED screen?

(Which, according to my understanding, is more power efficient.)
post #84 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

This will still just be an 'iPhone' but consumers should have easy access to a more detailed model number or name to help diagnostics. I used to spend a lot of time over in Apple's iMac forums and it's a real pain explaining to everyone that their new iMac isn't an 'iMac (Flat Panel)'. Apple must have known when they release the iPhone 3G that it wasn't going to be their only 3G iPhone.

I have often thought that the black area around the iPhone/iPod touch screen would be idea for solar panels - they certainly won't provide power for HD video but who knows after a few minutes in the sun they might allow you to make that one 999 (911) call.

EDIT; Spooling and grammar.

Apple has a patent on solar panels actually built *into* the LCD screen. Or something like that. The technology is almost there...

Check out konarka.com. Maybe not embedded in the LCD yet but they have some interesting stuff...?
post #85 of 162
I have been mostly a "silent" visitor of AI but I have to say that I am very excited with the WWDC and the probably announcement of a new iPhone. I have been thinking of acquiring one but until now haven't done it. I am disappointed with my Nokia and I think it is time for something new and fresh. It is a great experience to come here and read about all the owners experience and their thoughts, but I find it disturbing the constant bickering and arguing about what is the best phone and what is not. Can't we all just get along and enjoy the gadgets what each one has decided to buy? If it suits your purposes, excellent! Use it, enjoy it and share your experiences with others, if not, just move on..

2009 seems to be a very good year to be a tech or gadget fan. With all the competition going on, iPhone, Pre, Windows 7, Snow Leopard.. I consider myself very lucky to be living in such times and hope that the competition keeps squeezing the best out of each company to be delivered to us, consumers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Weve gotten a lot of new posters a day earlier than I expected. Welcome!
Mac Mini 2009
Mac Mini 2009
post #86 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters View Post

I have been mostly a "silent" visitor of AI but I have to say that I am very excited with the WWDC and the probably announcement of a new iPhone. I have been thinking of acquiring one but until now haven't done it. I am disappointed with my Nokia and I think it is time for something new and fresh. It is a great experience to come here and read about all the owners experience and their thoughts, but I find it disturbing the constant bickering and arguing about what is the best phone and what is not. Can't we all just get along and enjoy the gadgets what each one has decided to buy? If it suits your purposes, excellent! Use it, enjoy it and share your experiences with others, if not, just move on..

2009 seems to be a very good year to be a tech or gadget fan. With all the competition going on, iPhone, Pre, Windows 7, Snow Leopard.. I consider myself very lucky to be living in such times and hope that the competition keeps squeezing the best out of each company to be delivered to us, consumers..

I would say I'm not a big gadget fan but am a bit of hardware enthusiast. Gadget wise as long as I got my iPhone3G, MacBook, I'm set.

2009 was a good year to get into PC hardware. I also built my PC ~ ATI 4830 512MB, AMD Athlon Kuma 2.7ghz OC'ed 3ghz. Some great bang-for-buck.
post #87 of 162
Only thing I'd really like is a 23" at work and 23" at home, then run my MacBook in clamshell mode. But 23" is too big for gaming.
post #88 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarroyo1031 View Post

Nobody can answer that at the moment.

I don't care about any new features. I'm simply ecstatic about the possibility of having better battery life.

While that's all well and good, you wouldn't even have that issue if the battery were swappable.
post #89 of 162
Please announce the tablet @ WWDC- the iPhone battery life is rather tired.
post #90 of 162
Its TeckStud.
post #91 of 162
15" Anti-Glare Macbook Pro!!

Four cores and BlueRay would be nice touch.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #92 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Well, I also want to fly to the moon on a silver unicorn with a scantily-clad Emma Watson by my side. That would be a nice touch.
post #93 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Anything but a longer battery life for the iPhone- how boring is that?
post #94 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Its TeckStud.

You rang?
post #95 of 162
Quote:

Its TeckStud.

Who ?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #96 of 162
Quote:

Its TeckStud.

Who said his name three times. Hes like Beetlejuice
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #97 of 162
Shouldn't it be down by now? :-)
post #98 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While that's all well and good, you wouldn't even have that issue if the battery were swappable.

We've been thinking of swapping you out.
post #99 of 162
Quote:

Well, I also want to fly to the moon on a silver unicorn with a scantily-clad Emma Watson by my side. That would be a nice touch.

Exactly how old are you?

Besides, she's even meaner than I am.
post #100 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Shouldn't it be down by now? :-)

Id wager itll happen right before the Keynote starts, in the late 9 oclock hour PST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This day keeps getting better and better.

Quote:

Exactly how old are you?

She is 19yo, so I guess Nvidia just scrapes by as being a pervert. Is she known as being mean in real life or is it her Hermione character that is a little standoffish?
post #101 of 162
Quote:

Id wager itll happen right before the Keynote starts, in the late 9 oclock hour PST.

This day keeps getting better and better.

She is 19yo, so I guess Nvidia just scrapes by as being a pervert. Is she known as being mean in real life or is it her Hermione character that is a little standoffish?

10.54 am: And still no news from Macworld live update page.

I would like to ask a stupid question please. Why are there no fun apps for my MB.?
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #102 of 162
Quote:

Who said his name three times. Hes like Beetlejuice

Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #103 of 162
Quote:

Zune, psst get the zune.

The zune website would love him to bits.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #104 of 162
Hasn't the removable battery argument gotten old?

I have never know anyone who carries a second battery around with them.
Battery life of one battery is more important then the ability to change them out.
Recharge speed is also important, when my phone is low i will change it for 20 min in a pinch and that will get me a few more hours of use.

If the need of a second battery is so important get one of those add on things, that use the double AA's

I am hoping to see some cool tech with the screen. I think it would be cool if they use that multi-layer display approach.
Forgo Looking At The Past As A Judge; Instead Be a Student.
post #105 of 162
Quote:

Well, I for one won't argue with you.

(Just kidding, Mel. Just kidding)
post #106 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

10.54 am: And still no news from Macworld live update page.

it’s only 8am PST. Still two hours to go.

Quote:
I would like to ask a stupid question please. Why are there no fun apps for my MB.?

Download the fun apps you want. I use VersionTracker for many of app searches.

PS: Now we have to work on only quoting the portion that is relevant to your post.
post #107 of 162
Quote:

Haa. I'm like a bad penny- can't get rid of me.
Besides I love my:
1.) OSX
2.) iMac- white 20"
3.) iPod Touch
4.) iPod Classic
5) iPod shuffles - both 1 gen and 2nd gen
6.) lowly iBook 14"
post #108 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

It is old and you mention the external packs off a lot more versatility than replacing the internal battery. One of the biggest one is being able to charge the internal and external at the same time if both are low in power.
post #109 of 162
Quote:

Who said his name three times. He’s like Beetlejuice

That's Betelgeuse to you.
post #110 of 162
Quote:

its only 8am PST. Still two hours to go.

Download the fun apps you want. I use http://www.versiontracker.com for man of app searches.

PS: Now we have to work on only quoting the portion that is relevant to your post.

Oh boy i am sitting here clicking and clicking and no news.

I just rented the new 007 flick , for a nice work day.

Enloy VEGAS.

Peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #111 of 162
Quote:

It is old and you mention the external packs off a lot more versatility than replacing the internal battery. One of the biggest one is being able to charge the internal and external at the same time if both are low in power.

Why don't you just carry a whole power generator around with you then?
post #112 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

T... I have often thought that the black area around the iPhone/iPod touch screen would be idea for solar panels - they certainly won't provide power for HD video but who knows after a few minutes in the sun they might allow you to make that one 999 (911) call. ...

I like this idea; very practical.

I often think it's funny, given that Apple is so fantastic at design, (and they are) that at the same time they seem to miss things like this that would actually be a great benefit to the end user.

For instance, an iPhone that you could (accidentally) drop in a toilet or use in the rain would be a far bigger improvement to the daily lives of the average iPhone user than slightly longer battery life. At Apple headquarters in California it hardly rains at all, but where I live it rains almost every day. I don't think this basic fact has occurred to the Apple engineers yet.

Also, if instead of being the precious jewel it is now and requiring a tiny perfect special case to keep it safe, the iPhone was rugged enough to just toss around like a regular cell phone, or even be sat on (inadvertently) a lot of people's lives would be made much easier overnight.

I think Apple's design team could benefit from going to an actual working-class person's house (some of them must have poor "friends of friends" or something), to see how real people use their phones day to day and what the actual design problems are. When you don't have a butler to hold an umbrella over you or a Mercedes waiting at the curb (or even a car), the problems you face are slightly different.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #113 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash news flash

This just in minutes ago !.The hottest, latest news for all of us news junkies to feed our rumour habit's.

<< Cloud's gather over R I M, may mean bad news for the storm.>>

Of note the fact that there is real quote's in the article make's for a good read. There is no new info at all. Zippo

++++++++++ cut and paste below ++++++++++ http://www.financialpost.com/news-se...tml?id=1673217

Who/what is Financial Post? Have not heard of them......
post #114 of 162
Quote:

Leave them exhausted and meanness will not be an issue.
post #115 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or if you turn off 3G. No one buys extra batteries for their cell phones and carries them around even if the batteries are swappable. Since you don't even own an iPhone, you are talking out of your ***.EDIT:

language
post #116 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Does video capabilities include a front facing camera?

I think the only video we will see is "S" for SHARE and tied to mobile Me, that's it, nothing else.

Would rather have Xvid/Flash, Mpeg 4 codecs.
post #117 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I have never know anyone who carries a second battery around with them.
Battery life of one battery is more important then the ability to change them out.
Recharge speed is also important, when my phone is low i will change it for 20 min in a pinch and that will get me a few more hours of use.

If you gave someone the choice of the exact same battery with the otion of either having it sealed or replaceable most would choose the latter. SO the issue is not old. The arguement on here to support a sealed battery is just tired. It's strictly a fanboy mentality.
post #118 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I like this idea; very practical.

I often think it's funny, given that Apple is so fantastic at design, (and they are) that at the same time they seem to miss things like this that would actually be a great benefit to the end user.

For instance, an iPhone that you could (accidentally) drop in a toilet or use in the rain would be a far bigger improvement to the daily lives of the average iPhone user than slightly longer battery life. At Apple headquarters in California it hardly rains at all, but where I live it rains almost every day. I don't think this basic fact has occurred to the Apple engineers yet.

Also, if instead of being the precious jewel it is now and requiring a tiny perfect special case to keep it safe, the iPhone was rugged enough to just toss around like a regular cell phone, or even be sat on (inadvertently) a lot of people's lives would be made much easier overnight.

I think Apple's design team could benefit from going to an actual working-class person's house (some of them must have poor "friends of friends" or something), to see how real people use their phones day to day and what the actual design problems are. When you don't have a butler to hold an umbrella over you or a Mercedes waiting at the curb (or even a car), the problems you face are slightly different.

I doubt many have butlers. Im sure many are just average joes.
http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...ess-than-most/
Year old and I don't know how accurate, but im sure most people are not getting super rich from working there. Haha Jobs makes 1$, I know I know he is worth billions.
post #119 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Or if you turn off 3G. No one buys extra batteries for their cell phones and carries them around even if the batteries are swappable. Since you don't even own an iPhone, you are talking out of your ***.

Hello- I own a phone, a camera , and a video camera- all of which have swappable batteries. Therefore I know of what I speak. You can put your iPhone back where it belongs now- -OUCH!.
post #120 of 162
Quote:

Everything is dropping today. It's not just Apple.

Quote:

A quote from a teen site ( I only looked this up because I forgot who she was when he mentioned her name:

Quote:
Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and the rest of the cast are a dream to work with, said the source Wednesday, But Emma is even more moody than usual. Shes always complaining, showing up late and has upset both cast and crew members with her rudeness. Shes really become a big diva. Everyones sick of it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC