or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference

Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference - Page 2

post #41 of 167
10:46 Snow Leopard will be available for all Intel Macs -- past and present. How should it be priced? Leopard was $129 and they want all Leopard users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard will be $29 for those users.

uhhhh finally
post #42 of 167
It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque. I mean, nothing against an upgrade path, but if they charge differently, then they would have to put in some software restrictions which lots of people hate about Windows, and then they would also be forced to say that you can buy a 'full' copy and make a hackintosh because it's NOT an upgrade?
post #43 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque.

No, I think it would be all LEOPARD users.

Strange that they didn't mention any release date or timeframe.
post #44 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortal View Post

10:46 Snow Leopard will be available for all Intel Macs -- past and present. How should it be priced? Leopard was $129 and they want all Leopard users to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard will be $29 for those users.

uhhhh finally

oh uh , Intel only. ouch. that's gonna leave a mark.

glad i sold my Quad core G5 year ago but i feel for the guy who bought it.
post #45 of 167
Quote:

It's $29 for ALL Mac users, right? You can buy it in a store for $29, and if you have Tiger it's not like it won't install, right? Why are you mentioning "Leopard" users? I hope it's only because most users are on Leopard they're only saying that for simplicity, but if Tiger users have to pay extra isn't it kind of Microsoft-esque. I mean, nothing against an upgrade path, but if they charge differently, then they would have to put in some software restrictions which lots of people hate about Windows, and then they would also be forced to say that you can buy a 'full' copy and make a hackintosh because it's NOT an upgrade?

All it needs to do is check if the current OS is Leopard. The last time Apple did something similar (I think it was 10.2), the check procedure was easily defeated. In any event, I'd assume that an upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard will be $129, but we'll have to see.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #46 of 167
Quote:

No, it's $29 for Leopard users.. Tiger (or previous) users will have to pay $129, just as they would if they were to upgrade before today, except they'd get SL instead of L. The release is September.
post #47 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

No, I think it would be all LEOPARD users.

Strange that they didn't mention any release date or timeframe.

All Leopard users and nobody else? They allowed Jaguar users to upgrade to Leopard... And I thought it was going to support PowerPC?

And I think they said September... Engadget has more info: "$29 for Leopard users, and a family pack is $49. It will be available this September, and today we're making a dev preview available."

So get a family pack for $50 and use it on previous versions??? Some computers here are Leopard and one is Tiger... can we buy one family pack?
post #48 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortal View Post

ahhhhh I just bought a macbook pro and of COURSE they revamp it. ALWAYS happens to me.

You and me both. But I'm still very happy with my late 2008 MBP. I'll definitely be upgrading sooner or later to get that 8 GB of RAM limit, though. Once Adobe's Creative Suite can actually address that much RAM usefully, it'll be invaluable.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
Multiplex is an online comic strip about the staff of a movie theater.
post #49 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

10:14 PT - DM: Standard configs: $1199 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of memory, 9400M graphics, 160GB hard drive, SD card slot; $1499, 2.53GHz, 4GB memory, 250GB hard drive. And it's available today. And that completes the MacBook Pro family. Most affordable lineup ever.

10:13 PT - DM: 13-inch can also take up to 8GB; up to 500GB of storage, or 256GB SSD. The built-in backlit LED keyboard is standard as well. And it's got FireWire 800 port. MacBook Pro deserves it. So the 13-inch is bumped up to "MacBook Pro" and it starts at just $1199. Less expensive than the 13-inch aluminum MacBook it replaces.

10:11 PT - DM: And then there's the 13-inch unibody design. Updated, with the same built-in battery. It gets up to 7 hours of battery life. 2 hours longer than before, 40% more battery life, same dimensions. It has the new 60% greater color gamut display. And it has the SD card slot as well. Challenge to fit (looks like there may be no audio input?). At what point isn't this a MacBook Pro? What can we add to make it a MacBook Pro?

So does the MacBook no longer exist??? Is it now called the MacBook Pro 13, 15, and 17? The MacBook Air finally got a realistic price drop.

I think Apple listened to and corrected just about every single concern I can think of here.
post #50 of 167
So finally the announcement that it's Intel only, at least they are supporting the early 32 bit intel hardware. Still stings for all the quad G5 owners who never really got full support though.

And glad to see the pricing, I'll enjoy seeing all those who said it would be $129 and that anyone expecting it to be cheaper are insane eat a big steaming plate of crow.
post #51 of 167
lol, end of summer for MMS. ATT is a joke.
post #52 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I think Apple listened to and corrected just about every single concern I can think of here.

Yes, nice price cuts for consumers.. From an investor perspective, I wonder how this will affect margins?
post #53 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Don't forget his aliases/bed-buddies ItalianKid and Seahawk Fan. They're cranking up their whining generators as we speak.

C'mon guys, be cool!
post #54 of 167
Quote:

All Leopard users and nobody else? They allowed Jaguar users to upgrade to Leopard... And I thought it was going to support PowerPC?

All intel users will be able to upgrade, I just assume that those without Leopard will have to pay more.

And there has been strong speculation for a long time that it would dump PPC.
post #55 of 167
I wonder what MacMini pricing is going to be. For just couple hundred more (2.26Ghz version) i can have unibody macbook that's same in specs but is notebook instead of lonely desktop without keyboard/LCD/trackpad.
post #56 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Yes, nice price cuts for consumers.. From an investor perspective, I wonder how this will affect margins?

They'll probably sell a lot more copies. It's still mostly profit.
post #57 of 167
Remote wipe on the iPhone. This is a big one for business. It's one of the last major security problems Apple had to address.
post #58 of 167
Quote:

And I think they said September... Engadget has more info: "$29 for Leopard users, and a family pack is $49. It will be available this September, and today we're making a dev preview available."

So get a family pack for $50 and use it on previous versions??? Some computers here are Leopard and one is Tiger... can we buy one family pack?

Learning how to read might help you. It is an upgrade price for people that already own Leopard, $29. For those with Tiger, it will be $129. You thought it would support PowerPC? I guess you haven't read anything about Snow Leopard. You can buy a family pack upgrade, but it won't install on your Tiger OS. You need to buy the full version of Snow Leopard to upgrade Tiger, legally anyway. Why is one Mac running Tiger and the others on Leopard? Since you thought it ran on PowerPC, I am guessing your Macs are not Intel, so you don't need to worry about upgrading.
post #59 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They'll probably sell a lot more copies. It's still mostly profit.

Copies? I assume you mean units?

My reply was in reference to the MBP price cuts not the SL upgrade..
post #60 of 167
It's remarkable to me that people who haven't bothered to upgrade to Leopard are so indignant about pricing for an upgrade to Snow Leopard. Development costs money people. New software just doesn't fall from the sky. Get over yourselves or move to Linux.

On an iPhone note... MMS 'sometime this summer', and no support for tethering on AT&T? I think it's time for Apple to say enough is enough.
post #61 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

It's remarkable to me that people who haven't bothered to upgrade to Leopard are so indignant about pricing for an upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Who exactly are you talking about?

Before today, there was strong sentiment that $129 wouldn't be fair for SL. Turns out Apple agrees. Now that the $29 pricing is known, is there anyone complaining that that is too much?
post #62 of 167
Quote:

Apple protects their margins, so you can be sure that the lower prices reflect lower costs of production, not some expectation that they'll sell more units at a lower margin.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #63 of 167
The people in this thread who are still running Tiger, or running Tiger on 1 of 3 computers appear to be complaining about the cost (which I think is ludicrous). $29 isn't the greatest thing ever, but selling an OS upgrade that takes 6GB less HD space, costs $29 and is out a month before Win 7 is the greatest thing ever.
post #64 of 167
Quote:

Copies? I assume you mean units?

My reply was in reference to the MBP price cuts not the SL upgrade..

Ah, somehow I did think you were talking about the upgrade. Sorry.

But speaking about the Macbook+, yes, I think they will sell more units.

It seems that both the recession AND MS's Ads pointing out the prices has had an effect.
post #65 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Apple protects their margins, so you can be sure that the lower prices reflect lower costs of production, not some expectation that they'll sell more units at a lower margin.

Good.
post #66 of 167
Okay Apple, you don't have to demo every iPhone App, we get the picture.
post #67 of 167
15 minutes left.

Phones anyone?
post #68 of 167
I'vew been waiting for this day because of the iphone os 3.0 , and then i'm told that we'll get the software at June17th? Why? I bet, the final version is waiting on Apple's servers...
post #69 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

15 minutes left.

Phones anyone?

Looks like.
post #70 of 167
Hah!

The "S" is real!
post #71 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Okay Apple, you don't have to demo every iPhone App, we get the picture.

Yeah, I have to agree....

Steve would have been a tad more pithy.

But give them time: overall, they seem to be doing well.....
post #72 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

The people in this thread who are still running Tiger, or running Tiger on 1 of 3 computers appear to be complaining about the cost (which I think is ludicrous). $29 isn't the greatest thing ever, but selling an OS upgrade that takes 6GB less HD space, costs $29 and is out a month before Win 7 is the greatest thing ever.

I don't see that complaining. I see a bit of asking for clarification about specifics but I don't see any complaining about $29.
post #73 of 167
I suppose Phil forgot that Palm has an app store that is MUCH bigger than Apple's app store. Heck they've been doing this app store thing since the Palm 3c days and all apps run on the Pre. Ignorance is bliss!
post #74 of 167
new 3 MP camera can focus to 10 cm (4 inches).

Bar code reading is here.
post #75 of 167
VIDEO.

That should make some people happy.

VGA 30 fps with audio.

Voice control, voice dialing—finally!
post #76 of 167
I must not be making myself clear... They're complaining about having to pay the $129... For their machines that are running Tiger, instead of just the $29 to go to Snow Leopard. There was also someone complaining about not being able to use the $49 family upgrade pack to update all of his three machines because 2 are running Leopard, but one is running Tiger.
post #77 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend79 View Post

I suppose Phil forgot that Palm has an app store that is MUCH bigger than Apple's app store. Heck they've been doing this app store thing since the Palm 3c days and all apps run on the Pre. Ignorance is bliss!

Yup. All the old apps, more than a few that don't work, more that don't work well, and more than a few that you need to be an expert in so as to be able to set up on the Pre through Classic.

Yup, plenty of good old apps.

No touch interface for them either in most cases.

And, there are about 30,000 of those old apps as compared to over 50,000 for the iPhone.
post #78 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Wow, 75 million OS X users.

Difficult to tell from the text feed, but it sounds to me from the fact that they say it grew from 25M to 75M in the last two years that they're including 40M iPod touch/iPhone users in that figure.
post #79 of 167
I like this zinger from Phil Schiller: "To call the iPhone 3G a hit would be the understatement of the year. It's changed how people think about their phones. It wasn't that long ago that we were so frustrated with these... crappy devices."

Well put.
post #80 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Difficult to tell from the text feed, but it sounds to me from the fact that they say it grew from 25M to 75M in the last two years that they're including 40M iPod touch/iPhone users in that figure.

Yes, they are. So?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Live coverage from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference